Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mettle's best bits
Spaced Out Forum > Archive > Rewind > Episode 2.3: Mettle
Chapman Baxter
Mettle contains some of my all-time favourite Spaced moments. The 'let's get to work' montage to the tune of 'Smash It' is up in my top three. I love the expression of determination on Brian and Daisy's faces, the Bottle Rocket tribute and the use of a blowtorch to light up Tim's naughty cigarette.

There are many other great bits. Dexter's 'Oh yeah, Ihaddafor'a'dat' (or however you want to spell it). The 'Philippa Forrester' interview. Marsha uncorking the champagne. The second rule of Robot Club. I could go on, but I want to hear everyone else's favourites.
shinyelvenqueen
For me, it's the beginning where Tim and Mike talk about the axe, I quoted this extensively while discussing with my hubbie that he wanted to purchase a Viking axe from the Yorvik museum. Great stuff. And the other one, Brian's installation.
benbert
Yeah I love the bit at the start too, with the "I like the axe" "I like your face" etc.
m0r1arty
The robocop intro in divine. The "I love this guy" line is fantastic. Tim and Daisy have great 'magnetism' with the interview scenario. And the way that Reece holds his chips in the pub just plain floats my boat.

And I think we can all agree that the best line to sum up Mike EVER is there
Timmy, Fetch me my tools.

-m0r
maian
I love the line about the second rule of Robot Club

''You do not talk about, hang on, I've got that wrong...the second rule is 'No Smoking''
''Why's there no smoking?''
''Shhh, not supposed to talk about it''

Witty, great deliveries from all involved. Any bit with Reece in is great. ''You're no better than Big Trak''
toneloc
For me, it has to be Daisy at the book store telling the customer to fuck off - sorry, i'm paraphrasing, can't remember the exact words - i tend to be gasping for air each time i see that scene.
Shack
The Rhys bit as so expertly spelt by yer man Baxter sticks out for me, as does the school/TA hometime sound effect crossover bit and the bit in the pub where Tim says "That was you, you fucking plum".

Marvellous.

Not much Daisy gold in the episode, but Brian has some great bits, particularly the bit when he wakes up after being knocked unconscious.....

"Hospital."
"Ahhh, one of Damien's trendy new bars no doubt....."
Zoe
Without doubt:

Their robot...

And I've asked this before but I'm going to ask it again, why didn't Daisy and Billy get it on?
Mrs Bisley
QUOTE (benbert @ Oct 30 2005, 09:34 PM)
Yeah I love the bit at the start too, with the "I like the axe" "I like your face" etc.

I love that bit and the bit in the outtakes of it where Nick actually kisses Simon on the face and you can hear all the crew laughing.... cracks me up every time.... laugh.gif

I love when Tim goes "I love this guy".... that little clicky thing he does is fantastic....

And when Time goes "You did that, you fucking.... plum" and the look on Reece's face when he does it.... pure genius.... and the way Reece holds the chips lol laugh.gif

And when Brian's on the phone to.... *thinks*.... the art man.... can't remember his name.... anyway....
"His loss, shot himself in the foot really"
"What did he do?"
"Shot himself in the foot, really" laugh.gif laugh.gif

AND, last but not least.....
Timmy.... fetch me my tools

My fave episode of series 2, I think.... biggrin.gif laugh.gif
RIP Banners-on-the-Hill
My favourite bits are the geekiest, on the robot's startup display:

FRIED GOLD 75%
ORAC: SET
ZEN: CHECK
7 ZARK 7: ON
CONTROLLER.FAT
BERTHA.DAT
CHOCKABLOCK - ACTIV

References to fried gold, two Blake's 7 robots, Battle of the Planets, and Thomas the Tank Engine, amongst others, all within the first minute of Mettle!

And I love Dexter's sidekick's laugh... "Hur hur.... hur hur... hur hur!"
Mrs Bisley
QUOTE (RIP Banners-on-the-Hill @ Oct 31 2005, 06:55 PM)
My favourite bits are the geekiest, on the robot's startup display:

FRIED GOLD 75%
ORAC: SET
ZEN: CHECK
7 ZARK 7: ON
CONTROLLER.FAT
BERTHA.DAT
CHOCKABLOCK - ACTIV

References to fried gold, two Blake's 7 robots, Battle of the Planets, and Thomas the Tank Engine, amongst others, all within the first minute of Mettle!

And I love Dexter's sidekick's laugh... "Hur hur.... hur hur... hur hur!"

I can't believe I forgot that!! ohmy.gif

Readin that had me in stitches!!! laugh.gif

Thanks, RIP Banners-on-the-Hill!!!!!!!
RIP Banners-on-the-Hill
QUOTE (Mrs Bisley @ Oct 31 2005, 06:01 PM)
I can't believe I forgot that!!  ohmy.gif

You mean you "hadda'nt fort'a daaaaaaaaah!"?

There's only one niggling thing about the episode though, and for me it harks back to the first time I watched it. After watching the pre-title sequence, with the clip of Robot Wars playing in the background, you do expect Tim and Mike to actually go on the show, meet the presenters, and have Jonathan Pearce commentating with Sir Kill-a-lot etc. in there too! So, seeing it for the 1st time, it was a bit of a disappointment that they didn't. Would have been an amazing climax! Oh well, I guess Robot Club was a way of doing it without actually having to pay the Robot Wars people too much money. And besides, I love that they picked the nerdiest guy ever to host Robot Club. He should have replaced Craig Charles on the real thing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.