Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Latest Comedy News
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
whitey
QUOTE (fear_of_pop @ Apr 12 2006, 07:20 PM)
I love finding out who is funny naturally and who is only funny when they have a script. (Not that one is necessarily better than the other).

It can be fun to find that out, but it's never fun to find out who is naturally wacky. That's just painful.
fear_of_pop
Oh dear no. You're right.

I just want a show on with different comedians every week. I would be so happy. Bill Bailey! (He's on everything else).
Adam said he did really badly and was too shy to say anything at the group audition. sad.gif
sleeping_pirate
I'd love a new 'Whose Line...' type show. That'd be brilliant. You could have some amazing people on there now: Ross Noble, Bill Bailey, Julian Barratt, Noel Fielding, Nick Frost, etc etc. *lets imagination run wild*
Blind I/O
I'm getting decidedly bored of the Noble/Bailey/Fielding style of confidently shounting rubbish. I've laughed a lot at Bailey and Fielding over the past few years, and there's no denying their charisma (except maybe Noble's) but they do tend to tread the line of wackidom, and that style's getting very tired. For me, anyway.

And I'm not sure Julian Barratt would lend himself to the upbeat Whose Line style.

Sorry to shit on your dreams a bit.
fear_of_pop
I'm not sure that Barratt and Fielding would work on a show like that (although they were the first people I fantasised about being on it) 'cause they work better in their own world, other comics would stifle and fuck up their undeniable genius. Get right in the way of their riffs. Yep.

But I think Bailey and Nick Frost would fit right in.
rabbit57i
South Park Boys at it Some More

‘Like little whores, they'll sit there and grab the bucks. They'll sit there and they'll whine and they'll take their shot at Jesus. That's their stock in trade.’

biggrin.gif
Henry Krinkle
A course on writing comedy has been set up.

QUOTE (From the article)
The writers behind Birds Of A Feather, The Vicar Of Dibley, Some Mothers Do ‘Ave ‘Em and the Nick Hancock sitcom Holding The Baby are to hold a masterclass in comedy writing.

<Insert sarcastic comment here>
m0r1arty
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Apr 19 2006, 12:02 PM)
<Insert sarcastic comment here>

QUOTE (From the article)
while Dominic Minghella, the brother of Oscar-winning Anthony who wrote Holding The Baby and ITV’s comedy-drama Doc Martin, will sing the praises of the American way of running shows

My sister is quite talented, can I talk about canned laughter and obvious set-up gags for £90 per head?

-m0r
rabbit57i
"Experts" Opinion of Comedy Degree
Henry Krinkle
Thanks for that Rabbit.

I particularly liked this quote:
QUOTE (Lucy Porter)
I’m not sure you can teach people to be funny. If they taught you to deal with the demands of the job — alcohol problems, sex addiction, low self-esteem — that’d be worth three years.
empathy-with-beast
A friend of mine did that comedy MA at Canterbury; he is one of the least naturally funny people I know and has sort of got less funny since he became a stand up. He still occasionally says funny things but considering his entire life is dedicated to making jokes I'd have assumed the output would have gone up and not down.

That was harsh and I feel guilty.
Henry Krinkle
I know someone who is good friends with a famous comedian, who I won't name, and they are constantly saying this comedian isn't funny, nor quick witted, in real life.
I don't think it's because he's not a funny person. I imagine it's because he's not doing his act. If you tell jokes for a living then the last thing that you want to do is be 'on' all the time. For example, if I were a doctor, the last thing I'd want to do is help a sick or hurt person in my free time.

It's a shame because it's likely to be everyone's expectation that a comedian will be hilarious in person. The same things works in reverse though. I know plenty of people (none here) that have been really funny in person, but when they try it as part of an act they fall horribly flat. Being naturally funny and being a comedian aren't always mutually exclusive.
sleeping_pirate
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Apr 21 2006, 12:49 PM)
I know someone who is good friends with a famous comedian, who I won't name, and they are constantly saying this comedian isn't funny, nor quick witted, in real life.
I don't think it's because he's not a funny person. I imagine it's because he's not doing his act. If you tell jokes for a living then the last thing that you want to do is be 'on' all the time.
Go on, say who it is wink.gif
ronlogan1977
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Apr 21 2006, 10:48 AM)
A friend of mine did that comedy MA at Canterbury; he is one of the least naturally funny people I know and has sort of got less funny since he became a stand up. He still occasionally says funny things but considering his entire life is dedicated to making jokes I'd have assumed the output would have gone up and not down.
That was harsh and I feel guilty.

In no way should you feel guilty. I have no problems in telling people in other professions that they suck at their job. Why should a musician/ comedian/ actor/ writer be any different. If I was to tell a comedian he was fucking awful and then not verbally recieve my arse handed back to me on silver platter I would consider myself utterly vindicated.
rabbit57i
Benny Hill Made of Toast
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Apr 25 2006, 07:31 PM)

I particularly like the totally relevant closing to the article.
QUOTE (from the above link)
THE trial of a Cambridge lecturer charged with groping a woman while chuckling like Benny Hill has collapsed.

Good old The Sun.
rabbit57i
It's tired, I know....Vote For "Top 100"
rabbit57i
"Down The Line" Spoof
rabbit57i
New Coogan Character Revealed
whitey
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ May 17 2006, 06:06 PM)

I want to reserve judgement but I'm struggling.
Zoe
genuinely witty... while still being a bit of a dick.

Sounds familiar.
Henry Krinkle
Stewart Lee says Germans are comedy genius

I read these two bits as seperate jokes, and not as part of the same joke as intended. I was struggling to see the comedy in the first 'joke', I can tell you.

"What is romantic?" "I don't know." "When a man strokes a woman tenderly with a feather."

"What is perverse?" "I don't know." "When the chicken is still attached."
maian
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ May 23 2006, 05:04 PM)
Stewart Lee says Germans are comedy genius
I read these two bits as seperate jokes, and not as part of the same joke as intended. I was struggling to see the comedy in the first 'joke', I can tell you.

"What is romantic?" "I don't know." "When a man strokes a woman tenderly with a feather."

"What is perverse?" "I don't know." "When the chicken is still attached."

I thought was a rather good joke, bit odd but still funny.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (maian @ May 23 2006, 06:01 PM)
I thought was a rather good joke, bit odd but still funny.

Bit old, too. That was doing the rounds when I was at school.
whitey
I still genuinely think Crutch's penis door answering joke is the height of comedy efficiency. [/acceptably racist]
rabbit57i
Scarey Borat Pictures. These may not be work-safe, but they are a MUST.
Sean of the Dead
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ May 26 2006, 05:23 PM)

I must wash my eyes clean now.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ May 26 2006, 05:23 PM)

That's a hella piece of engineering!
ipse dixit
That's hi-larious. Number 11 is quite obscene. Well done that man.
rabbit57i
Tony Hancock Exhibit

Marty Feldman at NFT.
Mr. Tim Brooke-Taylor opens the retrospective tomorrow.
rabbit57i
Sponsor David Walliams Channel Swim
sleeping_pirate
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Jun 1 2006, 07:17 PM)

Best of luck to him, I hope he manages to do it.
rabbit57i
Rik Mayall Interview

Comedy on the Internet
brianbrane
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ May 23 2006, 05:04 PM)
The Brits often assume that Germans have no sense of humour.

"World War I was a border dispute"
"World War II was just a misunderstanding."
"The Cold War was the only way to achieve lasting peace."
rabbit57i
News of the World Coogan Gossip

Favorite quote:
CAJOLED her into a bizarre sex act too disgusting to mention in a family newspaper

Is the News of the World a family newspaper? huh.gif
whitey
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Jun 12 2006, 06:00 PM)

Hotel worker Victoria

Her picture says otherwise.
Zoe
Whores work in hotels too.
Serafina_Pekkala
Indeed they do - oh early stage heart failure thy name is Coogan smile.gif Cruel of me to laff but tis on the cards.

I, meanwhile, am looking forward to the Strangers with Candy movie cos it looks brill and has an amazing cast.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369994/

After the disappointment of the KITH and Mr Show movies, a good American comedy spin-off movie would be nice.

Sefi x
Ghost_862
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Jun 12 2006, 05:00 PM)
News of the World Coogan Gossip

Favorite quote:

Is the News of the World a family newspaper?  huh.gif

It is a bit hypocritical for Tits Weekly to try to take the moral high ground when it feels like it.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Jun 13 2006, 02:36 AM)
After the disappointment of the KITH and Mr Show movies, a good American comedy spin-off movie would be nice.

Put out by an American studio, but technically KITH is Canadian through and through. biggrin.gif Watch Brain Candy again, Sefi. It improves exponentially on repeat viewings, and knowing that Mark is doing a Lorne Michaels impression adds a whole other dimension to the proceedings. (OTOH Run Ronnie Run actually was pretty dire, agreed.)

The Strangers With Candy movie can't get here fast enough. They're rereleasing the complete series on DVD at the end of this month, tho, and I've already received a screener copy. Eep. Now if I could just find the damn time to watch all the extras...
whitey
Yes. Brain Candy is ace.
sleeping_pirate
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Jun 12 2006, 06:00 PM)

Crikey....
Stella MM
QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ Jun 13 2006, 03:11 PM)
It is a bit hypocritical for Tits Weekly to try to take the moral high ground when it feels like it.

That's their unique selling point. It's written for people who want to see and read filth while pretending to be utterly scandalised by it.
rabbit57i
No Smoking at Bill Hicks Show

His chain-smoking may have been legendary, but producers of a Fringe show about Bill Hicks have been warned not to let their star light up on stage.

Pure & utter bullshit. We have anti-smoking laws here in NY and that didn't stop Dylan Moran. Personally, I wouldn't do the show.
whitey
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Jul 11 2006, 04:28 PM)
No Smoking at Bill Hicks Show
Pure & utter bullshit. We have anti-smoking laws here in NY and that didn't stop Dylan Moran. Personally, I wouldn't do the show.

There is a potential loophole as discussed here. Not sure if this extends to stand-up though.
feckless_dykey_prostitute
BBC Films goes into comedy.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (feckless_dykey_prostitute @ Jul 15 2006, 09:04 AM)

I've heard about this except nowhere else did it mention turning current series into big screen feature films. I think this reporter is projecting his own opinion. A big screen version of LITTLE BRITAIN has already been batted around, so that isn't really part of this decision.
sleeping_pirate
Why can't they develop new ideas for comedy films instead?
rabbit57i
Anti-Jewish Jokes

This is an interesting article about anti-jewish jokes, not the jokes themselves.
whitey
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Aug 15 2006, 04:36 PM)
Anti-Jewish Jokes

This is an interesting article about anti-jewish jokes, not the jokes themselves.

That's a weird one. I saw Steve preview his show a couple of times and there was no anti semitism present. The joke about kids playing Nazis and Jews is a comment on how Cowboys and Indians is essentially mass marketing genocide as a game for kids. The Times has misreported that in two seperate articles so far. However if Hughes did in fact describe Perle as 'that fucking Jew' then he clearly has some issues that need addressing. Add to that the routine about how Nazis don't exist (the point being that they've had a bit of a rebranding since the old days like) and you can see how somebody might get a bit bent out of shape about the show.

One of the biggest problems with that article though is that the writer Jamie Glassman peddles casual racism himself at the drop of a hat. Ali G, Borat and this spectacular publicity shot:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.