Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Latest Comedy News
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
rabbit57i
Yeah, I also found that article weird. I couldn't quite see what was wrong about the Reginald Hunter joke about the Holocaust because he was obviously talking about Rwanda.
feckless_dykey_prostitute
Peep Show team embark on their first film project
MoggIntellect
QUOTE (feckless_dykey_prostitute @ Aug 18 2006, 04:40 AM)

Does that mean that there won't be another Peep Show Series?
kiss my empty bag
nope coz the schmucks at channel 4 axed it mad.gif
zeden
That's another film to add to the "excited about" pile. Is it me, or are we starting to see an increase in home grown comedy films since Shaun. That makes me happy.
spacegurl
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Aug 15 2006, 04:36 PM)
Anti-Jewish Jokes

This is an interesting article about anti-jewish jokes, not the jokes themselves.

This was written by Hugo Rifkind in the Times yesterday:

The Australian comedian Steve Hughes, one of several acts accused of making anti-Semitic gags in an Edinburgh show, has protested that he should not be held accountable for the heckles of his audience (“Throw them in the oven!”). Quite so. We managed to speak to Hughes in person, and were treated to a sample of his actual views. “If that was a Holocaust,” he volunteered, “how come there were Jews left?” A very reasonable question, as we are sure Mel Gibson and President Ahmadinejad would agree.

It's hard to know if he was just kidding because some comedians find it hard to 'switch-off' their act, but that's really bad. And not even slightly funny.

What I don't get is why it's offensive for Non-Jewish comedians to make references to them, but completely acceptable for Jewish people to. Whether it's funny or not is another story, but as long as it's not in a really harsh and serious context, it shouldn't be any different. Mainly though, it's humourous of Jewish comedians to make fun of themselves, because it's self-deprecating and audiences like (a fair amount) of that. So if you had dodgy hair or were an awkward height or something, you could make a joke of that and get the same effect.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (kiss my empty bag @ Aug 17 2006, 11:46 PM)
nope coz the schmucks at channel 4 axed it  mad.gif

i thought they were given a third series after talk of it being axed and everyone was happy because they had it and they didnt not have it huh.gif
luvmusic
Third series has already been and gone.

They have a 4th series, I'm sure of it.
kiss my empty bag
oh yeah whoops! my bad I meant 4th!
MoggIntellect
Apparently C4 has commissioned it, and so the wait begins. happy.gif

Read the March 1st article here.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (MoggIntellect @ Aug 21 2006, 03:52 PM)
Apparently C4 has commissioned it, and so the wait begins.  happy.gif

Read the March 1st article here.

Well, the sketch show they mention there has been filmed (assuming that's one and the same), so if it's going ahead, it'll hopefully be quite soon.
rabbit57i
Amstell New Host Of Buzzcocks
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Aug 22 2006, 10:01 PM)

Good choice.
maian

All kinds of ace. His guest spot was a highlight of the last series.
ipse dixit
Super duper. I missed his guest spot, this'll certainly make up for it.
maian
QUOTE (kiss my empty bag @ Aug 17 2006, 11:46 PM)
nope coz the schmucks at channel 4 axed it  mad.gif

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Aug 18 2006, 12:02 PM)
i thought they were given a third series after talk of it being axed and everyone was happy because they had it and they didnt not have it huh.gif

QUOTE (kiss my empty bag @ Aug 18 2006, 08:50 PM)
oh yeah whoops! my bad I meant 4th!

Yeah, they commisioned the fourth series about a month after they said they would cancel it, the fan reaction persuaded them to make another one and they are going to start work on it soon. I imagine they'll get the series filmed before they start work on Magicians since it'll take a few months to get the pre-production stuff going and Mitchell and Webb will have some free time now the sketch show is nearly done.
Zoe
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Aug 15 2006, 04:36 PM)
Anti-Jewish Jokes

This is an interesting article about anti-jewish jokes, not the jokes themselves.

I don't find Reg's routine offensive.

Except the bit in his Nottingham show about sticking his finger up my arse the night he slept on my sofa.

That never happened!
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Zoe @ Aug 23 2006, 11:51 AM)
I don't find Reg's routine offensive.

But you're not Jewish. People can be much more sensitive when stuff's directly related to them.

I've not seen him do it, so I can't really comment.
Zoe
You have to be careful when you start telling people what they can and can't make jokes about, censorship is a dangerous business.

People know (or should know) what they're getting when they go to see Reg. If they're sensitive they can go and see The Krankies or Bernie Clifton instead (both on at this year's fringe, Clifton's supposed to be excellent).
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Zoe @ Aug 23 2006, 12:31 PM)
You have to be careful when you start telling people what they can and can't make jokes about, censorship is a dangerous business.

People know (or should know) what they're getting when they go to see Reg. If they're sensitive they can go and see The Krankies or Bernie Clifton instead (both on at this year's fringe, Clifton's supposed to be excellent).

I once saw Clifton on an old episode of Wheeltappers & Shunters. I'd only ever really known him for doing the 'Ostrich riding' stick but he did some stand up and prop comedy and he was excellent. This was the 70's remember, when most jokes started 'Two puffs walk into a bar and the barmaids got massive tits.........'. He rose well above that level.
rabbit57i
Little America

I think I'm going to be sick.
Punkass
At least it is being done by the original people.
maian
QUOTE (maian @ Aug 23 2006, 10:11 AM)
Yeah, they commisioned the fourth series about a month after they said they would cancel it, the fan reaction persuaded them to make another one and they are going to start work on it soon. I imagine they'll get the series filmed before they start work on Magicians since it'll take a few months to get the pre-production stuff going and Mitchell and Webb will have some free time now the sketch show is nearly done.

Mitchell and Webb were in the Observer magazine today and they confirmed that Series Four of Peep show starts filming in January, which will probably mean it will be aired in Autumn like the last two series were, they have started work on Magicians but it didn't seem like they had got very far with pre-production so it will probably be filmed after Peep Show, and That Mitchell and Webb look starts being shown on BBC2 on the 14th of September.
kiss my empty bag
Thats Reassuring Nice work mianian!
zeden

YES!

QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Aug 25 2006, 04:50 PM)
Little America

I think I'm going to be sick.

NO!
Zoe
Matt and Dave have done some excellent piss takes of American culture before, their American sitcoms were great, 'My Two Gay Dads' being a particular highlight.

I've never thought 'Little Britain' really showed off their true genius. With a few exceptions it was pretty standard fare and became more than a little repetitive. Anything that stretches them is fine by me, I'm not worried.
zeden
QUOTE (Zoe @ Aug 28 2006, 11:52 AM)
I've never thought 'Little Britain' really showed off their true genius. With a few exceptions it was pretty standard fare and became more than a little repetitive. Anything that stretches them is fine by me, I'm not worried.

After the first series it was as if they stopped trying and thought "these characters work, let's just keep doing them". They are good and maybe Little America will be as well, but my hopes aren't high. With any luck I'll be pleasantly surprised when it comes out.
Ghost_862
Personally, I just think their demographic went all wrong and they didn't cope with it very well.

BBC3 was not a very popular channel and it's shows had a tendency to develop niche audiences but be otherwise misunderstood.

So when Little Britain took off and became mainstream it probably took them aback and they weren't quite sure what to do, and rather than developing the show like they would have done with BBC3 freedom, they felt the nation's eyes watching them as they produced series two, and that was when it became far more reliant on grotesque humour and ridiculous make-up than it did on social satire. As a result the second series was weaker than the first and the third was abysmal. But I think if I ever saw it on sale I'd pick the first season up on DVD.

I could never get on with Rock Profiles though. It was just a bit... stupid. And the Shirley Bassey sketches are enough to make anybody's ears bleed. I know that's the point, but once would have sufficed.

I'm going to Parkinson in two weeks and Matt and David are two of the guests, so that should be interesting.
rabbit57i
Be On Russell Brand's New Show

The only hitch is that you have to be naked.
Ade
Saw advance trailers on BBC2 the other evening for the new series of Extras as well as That Mitchell And Webb Look - both looking very promising.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Ade @ Sep 2 2006, 02:23 PM)
That Mitchell And Webb Look -

THIS IS BIG TALK, I'M RAYMOND TERRIFIC!
Ade
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Sep 2 2006, 02:27 PM)
THIS IS BIG TALK, I'M RAYMOND TERRIFIC!

smile.gif That's the fella. Kind of reminded me of The Day Today-era Morris.
rabbit57i
More Borat Movie News with teeny tiny spoiler (just mentions a scene in the movie)

Eddie Izzard Stars in U.S. Crime Drama series
purple prole
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Sep 7 2006, 03:48 PM)

The show sounds great, but was the person who wrote that article drunk?

the show co-stars Minnie Driver as Izzard’s husband

FX chief John Landgraf sent the fist cut of the pilot back for re-shoots
rabbit57i
Chortle's News Round-Up
Stella MM
The Guardian Weekend has a hilarious picture feature with British comedians recreating famous images. Julian and Noel are in it, as are Mitchell & Webb and Simon and Nick.

Have a look here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/flash/page/0,,1867169,00.html
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Sep 9 2006, 09:15 AM)
The Guardian Weekend has a hilarious picture feature with British comedians recreating famous images. Julian and Noel are in it, as are Mitchell & Webb and Simon and Nick.

The Test Card ones are genuinly disturbing.

Clowns truly are the scariest thing ever.
PrincessKate
He has no arms!
Ade
Bugger. I just realised that I missed Episode 1 of Dave Gorman's new series of Genius on Radio 4 - did anybody manage to catch it? And was it any good?
Jessopjessopjessop

Ha, that's brilliant!

Kinda copied the idea from here though...wink.gif
NiteFall
QUOTE (Ade @ Sep 9 2006, 12:20 PM)
Bugger. I just realised that I missed Episode 1 of Dave Gorman's new series of Genius on Radio 4 - did anybody manage to catch it? And was it any good?

It's still on the BBC Radio listen again thingummy on the website...
Ade
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Sep 9 2006, 12:21 PM)
It's still on the BBC Radio listen again thingummy on the website...

Oh yes! Cheers, Kei.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Sep 9 2006, 04:15 AM)

That is so brilliant! I loved the Green Wing Queen.
thirtyhelens

Top notch. biggrin.gif

I shall be trying to scrub the Johnny Vegas one out of my head for the remainder of the day.
kiss my empty bag
those photos are great ! johnny vegas one is disturbing huh.gif
Zoe
Stephen Merchant looks more like Cliff than John.
spacegurl

Heehee. I particularly love the Merchant and Gervais ones.
Stella MM
I forgot to say, there's interviews to go with each picture as well: http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/0,,180242,00.html

I must say, Ricky Gervais comes out with some incredible wankery about comedy and sounds disappointingly self-important. Stephen Merchant barely gets a look in.
Jinx
Well, that sounds about right - at least he didn't do his usual "all comedy in the U.K. is rubbish except The Office" bit.
rabbit57i
Bush & President of Kazakhstan Discuss Borat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.