Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hog Lumps????
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > Spaced: Above and Beyond > Shaun of the Dead
mikeroach187
What ARE all those snacks that they have at the pub in the movie? Pig Snacks? Hog Lumps? What the heck are those? What do they taste like? I'm from the USA incase nobody knows.
Dorf
They're fictional for the film as far as I know.

Think pork rinds, or small pork flavoured crisps, it's that sort of idea. smile.gif
Kirstie
They're real. Mr Porky's Hog Lumps and they're awful. Blech. My man loves them.
Dorf
Ooh well I stand very corrected, thought they had said on the commentary but I guess not. smile.gif
mikeroach187
QUOTE (Dorf @ Nov 26 2005, 12:31 PM)
They're fictional for the film as far as I know.

Think pork rinds, or small pork flavoured crisps, it's that sort of idea. smile.gif

What kind of flavor(s)?
romero_zombie
They are just baked pork fat COVERED in salt, and are delicious. Otherwise known as pork scratchings.
Rah
QUOTE (romero_zombie @ Nov 26 2005, 09:55 PM)
They are just baked pork fat COVERED in salt, and are delicious. Otherwise known as pork scratchings.

Otherwise known as pork mouth sex.
Crutch
I'm getting hungry. And there are no chips in this flat.
mikeroach187
QUOTE (romero_zombie @ Nov 26 2005, 04:55 PM)

QUOTE (Rah @ Nov 26 2005, 04:58 PM)
Otherwise known as pork mouth sex.

Eww!!!! That's gross!!! And people actually eat these things??????
romero_zombie
Yeah! There great! biggrin.gif One pack just about gives you a heart attack though tongue.gif
Rah
It's a sort of twice a year treat.
shinyelvenqueen
I had a pack of Mr Porky's Pork Crackles last night - "seasoned pork rind" as described on the packet. 578kcal/100g. Bring on the heart disease!

And best of all, they are manufactured in Birmingham, and when you drive past the factory, it's belching out white hogfat smell. Yergh.
Stella MM
QUOTE (romero_zombie @ Nov 26 2005, 09:55 PM)

Actually, it's slightly worse than that: they're actually deep-fried. Deep-fried, salt-covered pork fat.

Now you know why the English are reknowned throughout the world for our culinary excellence.
Kirstie
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Nov 27 2005, 10:26 AM)
Actually, it's slightly worse than that: they're actually deep-fried. Deep-fried, salt-covered pork fat.

*vomits*
Igmeister
QUOTE (shinyelvenqueen @ Nov 27 2005, 09:50 AM)
I had a pack of Mr Porky's Pork Crackles last night - "seasoned pork rind" as described on the packet. 578kcal/100g. Bring on the heart disease!

And best of all, they are manufactured in Birmingham, and when you drive past the factory, it's belching out white hogfat smell. Yergh.

They are more dangerous than smoking and drinking combined, they are also deadly to your're teeth. I've never seen any Pork Scratching factories in Birmingham although they are made throughout Birmingham and the Black country. whenever I go on holiday in England Bar staff think its funny to offer me some of my own regional cusine.....

I reckon they should open the factories to the public, it would rival Cadbury World i'm sure.
sleeping_pirate
Pork scratchings are delicious... ah this thread is giving me pig fat cravings *dribble*
maian
I can't decide whether I like pork scrathings or not, I know that they are disgusting but every time I have them they taste really good, odd. I only ever have them if I am starving though.
Ron Burgundy
I adore them, especially the softer ones which are just basically slightly crisped up lard. The really hard crackling skin bits occasionally beat my teeth though; if it's a particularly large piece they just can't cope.

Damn you all, I now want a pint and a pack of scratchings.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Nov 27 2005, 02:26 AM)
Now you know why the English are reknowned throughout the world for our culinary excellence.

Nah, I wouldn't be so quick to take the blame.... Mikey's possibly leading a sheltered existence, as pork rinds (as they are known here) are a Yank "delicacy" too, particularly in the South and Southwest. They run a far distant second to the Mexican chicharrones, if you ask me. (I'm biased, though, it's my heritage.)
Suebee42
Yup, plenty of pork rinds available in the States. My dad used to eat them all the time when I was a kid... but I have to say, I haven't touched one since.
shinyelvenqueen
QUOTE (Igmeister @ Nov 27 2005, 01:09 PM)
They are more dangerous than smoking and drinking combined, they are also deadly to your're teeth.  I've never seen any Pork Scratching factories in Birmingham although they are made throughout Birmingham and the Black country.  whenever I go on holiday in England Bar staff think its funny to offer me some of my own regional cusine.....

I reckon they should open the factories to the public, it would rival Cadbury World i'm sure.

You may not see them, but you can smell them.

Can you imagine...Hogfat World, and yu can jump into a pork rind shaped bubble car. With hairy tufts on the bonnet.
Dorf
Meet you on the cardio caressell smile.gif.
Igmeister
QUOTE (shinyelvenqueen @ Nov 28 2005, 06:51 PM)
Can you imagine...Hogfat World, and yu can jump into a pork rind shaped bubble car. With hairy tufts on the bonnet.

Rivers of pork fat......
Salt mountains.......
There would be nowhere else like it on earth.
shinyelvenqueen
"Parkie and the Pork Factory - everything here is edible"
kiss my empty bag
I tried one once out of (stupid) curiosity and wanted to vom they're yuk wacko.gif
Kirstie
QUOTE (Igmeister @ Nov 28 2005, 08:59 PM)
Rivers of pork fat......
Salt mountains.......

I think that's what they call 'Hell'.
Crutch
QUOTE (Igmeister @ Nov 28 2005, 09:59 PM)
Rivers of pork fat......
Salt mountains.......

I call it the heaven of crunch and heart-attack.
girlpants
Hey, there's nowt wrong with pork scratchings... man those things are ace.
girlpants
QUOTE (Igmeister @ Nov 27 2005, 01:09 PM)
They are more dangerous than smoking and drinking combined, they are also deadly to your're teeth.  I've never seen any Pork Scratching factories in Birmingham although they are made throughout Birmingham and the Black country.  whenever I go on holiday in England Bar staff think its funny to offer me some of my own regional cusine.....

There's a Pork Scratching factory thing a few miles from where my boyfriend live. It's closed now, but when it was open, driving past it was awful. I love the snacks, but boy do they factories stink.
Comedy Dave
Don't like them myself but they are an essential snack for the well established drinkers.......... huh.gif

Can't believe its that big!!!!! laugh.gif
shinyelvenqueen
At Hogfat World, they will take the entire skin off the back of a well fed pig and crackle it whole!
Igmeister
QUOTE (shinyelvenqueen @ Nov 30 2005, 08:20 PM)
At Hogfat World, they will take the entire skin off the back of a well fed pig and crackle it whole!

I like this line of thinking Shiny one. There could even be a world record attempt for the worlds biggest Pork Scratching.
shinyelvenqueen
I should find it disgusting, but I don't! How disturbing.
carldjones
mmmmmmmm i love hog lumps they are quite popular where i live, we call em scratchings. its pig skin fried in oil yum!
Cornetto
Fired pig skin... yes i'm serious.
Blind I/O
Unusual. I could really go for some pork scratchings right now. Mmm.
Crutch
PORK HOGS PIZZA!/PORK HARBOR
Verstan
i had some last night, i love the pub biggrin.gif
Blind I/O
I just had a packet of "Mr Porky" pork scratchings. They were utterly vile.
Acidboy
Hog lumps would be awesome when u get the munchies!!!
Blind I/O
No.
Acidboy
Dyu hate them that much? Iv only had em a few times. Its gross when u get areally hairy one aint it!!!
Blind I/O
I'm actually quite partial to the occasional scratching. Especially with a nice ale. Just the last packet was gross, and I don't think they'd be a suitable "munch"

And I've never had that particular hair-based horror.
Igmeister
Nice piece of translation Gav, I have no idea what Acidboy was saying.
Jumpin Jack Flash
QUOTE (Igmeister @ Feb 15 2006, 05:05 PM)
Nice piece of translation Gav, I have no idea what Acidboy was saying.

Bless him. I learned not to use text speak, he will soon too, Just berate him some more. happy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.