Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

Mrs. Henderson Presents (2005)
Pride & Prejudice (2005)
The Producers (2005)
The Squid and the Whale (2005)
Walk the Line (2005)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama

Russell Crowe for Cinderella Man (2005)
Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote (2005)
Terrence Howard for Hustle & Flow (2005)
Heath Ledger for Brokeback Mountain (2005)
David Strathairn for Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama

Maria Bello for A History of Violence (2005)
Felicity Huffman for Transamerica (2005)
Gwyneth Paltrow for Proof (2005)
Charlize Theron for North Country (2005)
Ziyi Zhang for Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

Pierce Brosnan for The Matador (2005)
Jeff Daniels for The Squid and the Whale (2005)
Johnny Depp for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
Nathan Lane for The Producers (2005)
Cillian Murphy for Breakfast on Pluto (2005)
Joaquin Phoenix for Walk the Line (2005)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

Judi Dench for Mrs. Henderson Presents (2005)
Keira Knightley for Pride & Prejudice (2005)
Laura Linney for The Squid and the Whale (2005)
Sarah Jessica Parker for The Family Stone (2005)
Reese Witherspoon for Walk the Line (2005)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

George Clooney for Syriana (2005)
Matt Dillon for Crash (2004)
Will Ferrell for The Producers (2005)
Paul Giamatti for Cinderella Man (2005)
Bob Hoskins for Mrs. Henderson Presents (2005)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Scarlett Johansson for Match Point (2005)
Shirley MacLaine for In Her Shoes (2005)
Frances McDormand for North Country (2005)
Rachel Weisz for The Constant Gardener (2005)
Michelle Williams for Brokeback Mountain (2005)

Best Director - Motion Picture

Woody Allen for Match Point (2005)
George Clooney for Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005)
Peter Jackson for King Kong (2005)
Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain (2005)
Fernando Meirelles for The Constant Gardener (2005)
Steven Spielberg for Munich (2005)

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture

Brokeback Mountain (2005) - Larry McMurtry, Diana Ossana
Crash (2004) - Paul Haggis, Robert Moresco
Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005) - George Clooney, Grant Heslov
Match Point (2005) - Woody Allen
Munich (2005) - Tony Kushner, Eric Roth

I'm really excited to see so many nods for 'Brokeback Mountain' and Woody Allen's latest. The Globes are usually a pretty good Oscar predictor and 'Brokeback Mountain' is expected to clean up (which I may alse have to do after watching it).
empathy-with-beast
There's a film called "The Squid and the Whale"? Man, how did I miss that one?
Sostie
QUOTE (Zoe @ Dec 14 2005, 07:41 PM)
David Strathairn for Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005)

Scrolling down through the list, I thought this said Jason Statham...if only.

Go Hoskins!
Crutch
QUOTE (Sostie @ Dec 14 2005, 09:03 PM)
Scrolling down through the list, I thought this said Jason Statham...if only.

Go Hoskins!

Thought the same.

When did Spielberg's Munich came out?
Omniscia
QUOTE (Crutch @ Dec 14 2005, 04:45 PM)

It comes out in limited release in the US on 26 December; in wide release in the US on 6 January; and in the UK on 27 January.

Haven't seen it, or Brokeback Mountain, yet, but The Constant Gardener was not terrible... Rachel Weisz probably won't win, but she certainly deserves the nod.
Svein
QUOTE (Crutch @ Dec 14 2005, 09:45 PM)

Apparently, the Israel nation is not happy with this... They've basically said that he is not a friend of the Jew... Funny how quickly certain people's memory's fade... Schindler's List anyone?
Raven
How has Pride and Prejudice made it into the comedy/musical slot, surely it's a drama? (I've not read the book or seen the film but I don't think I'm missing anything . . . ).
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Svein @ Dec 15 2005, 08:32 AM)
Funny how quickly certain people's memory's fade...  Schindler's List anyone?

See me.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 15 2005, 01:53 PM)
How has Pride and Prejudice made it into the comedy/musical slot, surely it's a drama? (I've not read the book or seen the film but I don't think I'm missing anything . . . ).

It has elements of comedy but it's hardly an all out laugh riot. Very curious.
Ingram
A lot I haven't seen yet, very interested to see "Brokeback Mountain", "Match Point"... and a few others...

I want Depp to get something for CatCF though. Great performance.
Svein
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Dec 15 2005, 02:54 PM)
See me.

You gonna be wearing that hat?
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Svein @ Dec 15 2005, 03:08 PM)
You gonna be wearing that hat?

Yes, I think it lends me an air of authority previously undermined by wearing my pants on the outside.
Zoe
Best Motion Picture – Drama

Brokeback Mountain

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama

Felicity Huffman Transamerica

Philip Seymour Hoffman – Capote

Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy

Walk the Line

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

Reese Witherspoon – Walk the Line

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

Joaquin Phoenix – Walk the Line

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Rachel Weisz – The Constant Gardener

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

George Clooney – Syriana

Best Director - Motion Picture

Ang Lee – Brokeback Mountain

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture
Larry Mcmurtry & Diana Ossana – Brokeback Mountain

No great surprises here and the big awards are pretty much as predicted. It looks good for Ang Lee come Oscar time with his heartbreaking masterpiece picking up 3 of 'The Big Five'. Cloony and Weisz are a bit more of a shock, as I haven't heard much buzz about either of their performances and I thought Michelle Williams was a shoe-in.

The big boys are suffering though with no joy for Jackson, Speilberg or Allen.
Ingram
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 17 2006, 03:50 PM)
It looks good for Ang Lee come Oscar time with his heartbreaking masterpiece picking up 3 of 'The Big Five'.

I don't know. "Walk The Line" did very well.
Zoe
QUOTE (Ingram @ Jan 17 2006, 03:52 PM)
I don't know.  "Walk The Line" did very well.

Yes, yes it did but the 'Drama' category is usually a more accurate predictor of Best Picture (crosses fingers and hopes she's right) that combined with 'Best Director' and I think they've got it in the bag.

Then again there's no explaining 'Chicago'.
maian
They also won big ones at the American Film Critic's (I think that's what they're called) Awards a few weeks ago and they've predicted the winner of Best Picture 8 times in the lats 10 years, a similar number for the director as well. I think Walk The Line will pick up at least one acting gong, Philip Seymour Hoffman seems almost a shoe-in for 'Capote' and Kong will get the technical awards.
Ingram
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 17 2006, 03:54 PM)
Yes, yes it did but the 'Drama' category is usually a more accurate predictor of Best Picture (crosses fingers and hopes she's right) that combined with 'Best Director' and I think they've got it in the bag.

You could be right. Actually, who am I kidding, you're definitely right. I haven't seen either but I've heard both are good - I just don't want "Brokeback Mountain" to end up trumping "WTL" simply because of the controversy involved. Not that I'm saying it will I'd just like it to be fair.
maian
QUOTE (Ingram @ Jan 17 2006, 03:57 PM)
You could be right.  Actually, who am I kidding, you're definitely right.  I haven't seen either but I've heard both are good - I just don't want "Brokeback Mountain" to end up trumping "WTL" simply because of the controversy involved.  Not that I'm saying it will I'd just like it to be fair.

But by the same token it would be a shame if Brokeback lost out due to the controversy in favour of the 'safer' film. They're both good but either way people will blame the 'controversy' for the results rather than the merits of teh two films. I'm still not writing off Munich though.
Stella MM
Call me a movie doofus, but who runs the Golden Globes and why do we need them as well as the Oscars?
maian
Golden Globes are for TV as well as film and winners are chosen by the Hollywood Foreign Press, rather than the members of the Academy who vote for the Oscars. They are a lesser award but they are fairly important for indicating Oscar victory and are the most important awards for TV. I think.
Zoe
The Golden Globes are run by 'The Hollywood Foreign Press Association'. The awards are voted for by foreign journalists (including British ones). They work for the biggest magazines and newspapers in the world (apart from the States) and spend their lives reporting on the film industry, interviewing artists and watching films.

You could quite easly argue they are a better group to judge than the sprawling academy, but the Oscars have more prestige.
maian
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 17 2006, 04:06 PM)
The Golden Globes are run by 'The Hollywood Foreign Press Association'. The awards are voted for by foreign journalists (including British ones). They work for the biggest magazines and newspapers in the world (apart from the States) and spend their lives reporting on the film industry, interviewing artists and watching films.

You could quite easly argue they are a better group to judge than the sprawling academy, but the Oscars have more prestige.

I'd agree on that, I rarely agree with anything that the Academy chooses to win (Chicago. Chi-fucking-cago!?) but they have slightly more impressive and heavier statues.
Stella MM
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 17 2006, 04:06 PM)
The Golden Globes are run by 'The Hollywood Foreign Press Association'. The awards are voted for by foreign journalists (including British ones).

Ah, that explains the distinctly indie-leaning shortlist.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 17 2006, 07:50 AM)
Cloony and Weisz are a bit more of a shock, as I haven't heard much buzz about either of their performances

Seriously? Huh. Clooney, definitely, but the buzz on Weisz has been pretty much nonstop over here, far more for her performance than the film itself. I wasn't surprised at all by her win.

It should be noted that the evening's two best speeches by far were from TV winners. (Hugh Laurie and Steve Carell, respectively.)
Sir_Robin_the_brave
Gloden Globes winners spark righteous anger

I give up.
AusChick
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Jan 18 2006, 09:23 AM)

These comments shit me beyond belief.
I'm not going to go through all the things which are transparently wrong with their stupid "arguments" because I know you lot around here are smart enough to work it out yourselves.

The whole world is making me angry today mad.gif

AC
Jinx
QUOTE (AusChick @ Jan 18 2006, 11:22 AM)
These comments shit me beyond belief.
I'm not going to go through all the things which are transparently wrong with their stupid "arguments" because I know you lot around here are smart enough to work it out yourselves.

The whole world is making me angry today  mad.gif
AC

“Last night Hollywood exposed its own corrupt agenda. [It] is no doubt out on a mission to homosexualise America.”

Quick off the mark ain't they? Hollywood's evil plan has been exposed!
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Jan 18 2006, 04:23 AM)

"If America isn’t watching these films, why are they winning the awards?”"

Maybe because the awards aren't suppossed to be a popularity contest but about good filmmaking?
Zoe
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Jan 18 2006, 03:12 AM)
Seriously?  Huh.  Clooney, definitely, but the buzz on Weisz has been pretty much nonstop over here, far more for her performance than the film itself.  I wasn't surprised at all by her win.

I haven't read anything that out of the ordinary about her performance in the British press, this is why I try and buy 'Premiere' every month as well as 'Empire' and 'Total Film'. It's nice to get the American perspective on things, plus it's generally a more intelligent read (ours are more fun though).

QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Jan 18 2006, 04:36 PM)

Hollywood Foreign Press Association
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Jan 18 2006, 04:36 PM)

Maybe because the awards aren't suppossed to be a popularity contest but about good filmmaking?

Nah that can't be right. It's those evil gays trying to take over the world. Obviously.
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Jan 18 2006, 09:23 AM)

People say the religious right in America are bad, but there's been a gap in the English language which the verb :To homosexualise ( I homosexualise, you homosexualise, he/she/it homsexualises) has just filled.

And I have to say that when I went to see "Brokeback Mountain" a lot of men in the audience walked in there all hetero and walked out with another man's semen on their chins.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Jan 18 2006, 04:47 PM)
And I have to say that when I went to see "Brokeback Mountain" a lot of men in the audience walked in there all hetero and walked out with another man's semen on their chins.

laugh.gif
AusChick
Don't forget about these terrible issues too...
Religious groups also pointed to the alleged political agenda of winners including George Clooney, who won for his supporting role in Syriana, a film about the ethical pitfalls of the oil business; and Mary Louise Parker, who was rewarded for her performance in Weeds, a television comedy about a suburban mother turned marijuana dealer.

The agenda of the HFPA is not just to try and turn us all gay - it's to turn us all into a bunch of gay, pot-smoking/dealing, corrupt oil barons!

Hmm I did a Google image search for "gay pot-smoking oil baron" and for "gay pot-smoking oil tycoon" and came up with nothing. Those bastards at the HFPA have obviously got them all hidden away somewhere secret mad.gif

Cheers
AC
Serafina_Pekkala
I can't read the times article but from the gist of it, i think i get the issue. It remind me of this Onion article.

*headline may not be worksafe as it's a bit rude*

CAN YOU CATCH TEH GAYNESS?

biggrin.gif

Sefi x
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Jan 19 2006, 12:04 PM)
I can't read the times article but from the gist of it, i think i get the issue.  It remind me of this Onion article.

laugh.gif I remember that.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Jan 19 2006, 06:04 AM)

The Onion is pure genius.
Jessopjessopjessop
I'm sorry but this needed posting again.

It's relevant, I swear! These awards shows are all about the fashion.
Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Jan 19 2006, 04:02 PM)
The Onion is pure genius.

It certainly used to be, but much like the Simpsons I reckon it's gone rather downhill in recent years.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Jan 19 2006, 04:31 PM)
It certainly used to be, but much like the Simpsons I reckon it's gone rather downhill in recent years.

Nothing has matched up to "Mr T's pity list '86" for me. Which of course was Mr T unveiling the list of fools he planned to pity that year.
Zoe
What the fuck has Sayid done to Barbara Hershey?
Ingram
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jan 19 2006, 04:22 PM)

Compelling performances by the two central characters.
fear_of_pop
Has she had 'em done, or were they always like that?!

Sayid looks good, at least.
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Jan 19 2006, 11:04 AM)
I can't read the times article but from the gist of it, i think i get the issue.  It remind me of this Onion article.

biggrin.gif

Sefi x

laugh.gif The goods.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (fear_of_pop @ Jan 19 2006, 07:17 PM)
Has she had 'em done, or were they always like that?!

They don't look 'done', but I reckon there's some incredible engineering going on under there. Spectacular.
Hobbes
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 19 2006, 05:36 PM)
What the fuck has Sayid done to Barbara Hershey?

Cross-bred her with a tabby, it would appear.
Zoe
2007 nominations have been announced... Oscar here we come!

Full list of nominees for the 65th annual Golden Globe Awards

Picture, Drama: American Gangster, Atonement, Eastern Promises, The Great Debaters, Michael Clayton, No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood.

Actress, Drama: Cate Blanchett, Elizabeth: The Golden Age; Julie Christie, Away From Her; Jodie Foster, The Brave One; Angelina Jolie, A Mighty Heart; Kiera Knightley, Atonement.

Actor, Drama: George Clooney, Michael Clayton; Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood; James McAvoy, Atonement; Viggo Mortensen, Eastern Promises; Denzel Washington, American Gangster.

Picture, Musical or Comedy: Across the Universe, Charlie Wilson's War, Hairspray, Juno, Sweeney Todd.

Actress, Musical or Comedy:
Amy Adams, Enchanted; Nikki Blonsky, Hairspray; Helena Bonham Carter, Sweeney Todd; Marion Cotillard, La Vie En Rose; Ellen Page, Juno.

Actor, Musical or Comedy: Johnny Depp, Sweeney Todd; Ryan Gosling, Lars and the Real Girl; Tom Hanks, Charlie Wilson's War; Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Savages; John C. Reilly, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story.

Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There; Julia Roberts, Charlie Wilson's War; Saoirse Ronan, Atonement; Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone; Tilda Swinton, Michael Clayton.

Supporting Actor: Casey Affleck, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men; Philip Seymour Hoffman, Charlie Wilson's War; John Travolta, Hairspray; Tom Wilkinson, Michael Clayton.

Director: Tim Burton, Sweeney Todd; Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, No Country for Old Men; Julian Schnabel, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly; Ridley Scott, American Gangster; Joe Wright, Atonement.

Screenplay: Diablo Cody, Juno; Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, No Country for Old Men; Christopher Hampton, Atonement; Ronald Harwood, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly; Aaron Sorkin, Charlie Wilson's War.

Foreign Language: 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, Romania; The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, France and U.S.; The Kite Runner, U.S.; Lust, Caution, Taiwan; Persepolis, France.

Animated Film: Bee Movie, Ratatouille, The Simpsons Movie.

Original Score: Michael Brook, Kaki King, Eddie Edder, Into the Wild; Clint Eastwood, Grace Is Gone; Alberto Iglesias, The Kite Runner; Dario Marianelli, Atonement; Howard Shore, Eastern Promises.

Original Song: Despedida from Love in the Time of Cholera; Grace Is Gone from Grace Is Gone; Guaranteed from Into the Wild; That's How You Know from Enchanted; Walk Hard from Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story.

Thoughts?
Omniscia
That many Best Picture, Drama nominees? Is it usually like that? I always thought it was 5. Well, usually 5, anyway.
Zoe
That's take from the Guardian, but it's definitely right. Here it is from the HFPA website.

1. BEST MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA

AMERICAN GANGSTER
Imagine Entertainment/Scott Free Productions; Universal Pictures
ATONEMENT
Working Title Productions; Focus Features
EASTERN PROMISES
Kudos Pictures – UK Serendipity Point Films – Canada A UK/Canada Co-Production; Focus Features
THE GREAT DEBATERS
Harpo Films; The Weinstein Company/MGM
MICHAEL CLAYTON
Clayton Productions LLC; Warner Bros. Pictures
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
A Scott Rudin/Mike Zoss Production; Miramax/Paramount Vantage
THERE WILL BE BLOOD
A Joanne Sellar/Ghoulardi Film Company Production; Paramount Vantage and Miramax Films
maian
Though I haven't seen either, what I've read suggests that the Drama awards may end up being split between/dominated by There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men.

I'd like to see Viggo Mortenson win for Eastern Promises but Daniel Day-Lewis seems to be the one to beat at the moment so he may miss out.

Ratatouille should fairly comfortably win the animated film category since, even putting aside my love of it, it's still a good deal better than The Simpsons Movie and Bee Movie. Persepolis would probably be the only movie that would have really put up a challenge to it but that seems to have been shunted to the Foreign Language Awards.
Omniscia
QUOTE (Zoe @ Dec 13 2007, 11:14 AM)
That's take from the Guardian, but it's definitely right. Here it is from the HFPA website.

I didn't doubt you in the first. I was just surprised that there were so many.

And, yeah, I'd like to see Viggo win, and Javier Bardem was absolutely riveting in NCFOM, so he ought to have a good chance of the supporting actor award...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.