Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TV's Most Missed
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3
ronlogan1977
Kudos for ending on a bit of a downer. Still I reckon the worst that could happen was he`d fuck up and get killed eventually. More likey without Al.
Sostie
Bring back Northern Exposure...with Joel.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Dec 30 2005, 11:06 AM)
It essentially ended with Sam breaking out of the fabric of history through changing it so much. He was left as a guardian angel type figure, free to move through time and change things for the better. It was all very emotional, and I had a tear in my eye by the end. If you ever get the chance I would recommend you see it.

It was indeed a heartbreaking yet brilliant ending. One more fact - the chap playing Al the barman was the airbase commander from the pilot episode!

Quantum Leap was the first ever show that affected me emotionally, on more than one occasion. It is still a superbly high standard with which to judge all other TV drama, let alone science fiction. It was an incredibly brave ending which left me stunned for days afterwards, but it was also perfect. All Sam's leaping life had been a sacrifice for him, and it was poignantly appropriate that he would continue this for presumeably the rest of time...
ipse dixit
Oh, boy...

*nostalgic sigh*
Sir_Robin_the_brave
I'm starting to miss the Brittas Empire now. I saw a story today about Seb Coe's knighthood and all I can picture in my mind is him handcuffed to a railing by his leg in the leisure centre.
Henry Krinkle
Yes, all this Brittas mentioning has made me nostalgic too, but not for The Brittas Empire. Instead it got me to wondering about whatever happened to the Red Dwarf movie that's been in the pipeline for ages. I've had a bit of a look on the internet and the trail goes dead a couple of years ago. I wonder if Red Dwarf is actually gone forever?
ronlogan1977
Indeed it has according to Rob Grant. No-one wanted to front the cash.
If it was anything like the last series I can see why.
Henry Krinkle
The last two series totally killed it. Grant and Naylor splitting up was the worst thing that could have happened to that show.
mrjester
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Dec 30 2005, 01:44 PM)
It was indeed a heartbreaking yet brilliant ending. One more fact - the chap playing Al the barman was the airbase commander from the pilot episode!

Quantum Leap was the first ever show that affected me emotionally, on more than one occasion. It is still a superbly high standard with which to judge all other TV drama, let alone science fiction. It was an incredibly brave ending which left me stunned for days afterwards, but it was also perfect. All Sam's leaping life had been a sacrifice for him, and it was poignantly appropriate that he would continue this for presumeably the rest of time...

I found that it kind of went a bit religious at the end though. The god-like barman giving him a choice to either go home or help people. Don't get me wrong, I like Quantum Leap, but I couldn't tell if they were pushing a big moral right at the end or just didn't know how to end it.
fear_of_pop
QUOTE (Sostie @ Dec 30 2005, 01:03 PM)
Bring back Northern Exposure...with Joel.

Yes yes yes.
zeden
Cheers for the reminder on Leaps ending. Have to agree that it is one of the best endings ever. I heard a rumour that there was going to be another series involving Sam's kid or something, though it may just be bollocks. Certaily hope so, I cant see what they could do apart from rehash stories for a new generation of viewers.

Back on subject- Blind I/O's avatar reminded me of This Morning With Richard Not Judy. Loved that show when I was a kid. Nostradamus was quality. Had a great last episode, all hell breaking loose. Top bit- Curious Orange, always think of it when I see Paul Putner in something.
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (mrjester @ Dec 30 2005, 04:47 PM)
I found that it kind of went a bit religious at the end though. The god-like barman giving him a choice to either go home or help people. Don't get me wrong, I like Quantum Leap, but I couldn't tell if they were pushing a big moral right at the end or just didn't know how to end it.

I kind of liked the way it was spiritual, but didn't place stock in any particular religion. Remember, the barman could have been another Leaper of some sort. There were others out there, as I remember. Wasn't there a woman leaper who had a woman hologram, but she was evil?
zeden
There certainly was. I think it was left open enough for you to make your own decision. If I remember correctly Sam asked the barman if he was God and he said,
"What do you think?"
Perhaps he was an alien, who knows?
ipse dixit
Hmm, yes, 'spiritual' rather than 'religious'.
Svein
I thought it was God (or a higher deity of some kind) controlling the leaps. At least that was the impression that I got from the final episode.

So, would that make Alia the anitchrist?
Henry Krinkle
I think the devil turned up in one episode. An episode featuring a young Stephen King, if I remember correctly...
MagicDave
Quantum Leap was definately good and would be welcomed back. I guess by most-missed you're looking for shows that could run more. I loved B5 but in the end it ran on too long and shouldn't have gone for that 5th series. Buffy as well had run it's course, I'd want the Spike or Ripper spin-offs though.

How about American Gothic, that never got the extended run it deserved.
MagicDave
Ah, reading the thread I see AG got mentioned. Fear not - it IS available on DVD in the US and I have a copy that I received for my birthday as yet unwatched. It's a treat I'm saving for when I've been good. If you want AG then it's only cheap to get the complete run on Region 1 DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ATQYX...&s=dvd&v=glance
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Jan 3 2006, 01:48 PM)
I think the devil turned up in one episode. An episode featuring a young Stephen King, if I remember correctly...

Yes, he was Al I think and made a sort of goat noise....I remember that Stephen King episode, it was my first experience of the now oh so familiar phenomenon of "reference rush."
ipse dixit
QUOTE (MagicDave @ Jan 3 2006, 02:51 PM)
Buffy as well had run it's course, I'd want the Spike or Ripper spin-offs though.

I'd worry about the camp-Brit level of either of those. I thought the proposed Faith spin-off would have worked well, though - silly Dushku opting for Tru Calling.
Svein
Tru Calling had a great premise and had potential. I liked the cast and the general idea, but it was poorly executed. They did have some good episodes, and could have worked if given enough time to develope.

Let's not forget that the first season of Buffy was not the best on the planet, but it was at least given another season to find it's personality.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Svein @ Jan 3 2006, 03:25 PM)
Let's not forget that the first season of Buffy was not the best on the planet, but it was at least given another season to find it's personality.

At least Buffy had some variation in storylines. I mean, fair enough - vampires, demons, apocalypseseses (apocali), the ideas were recurring, but there was variation in what was presented. Admittedly, I only ever saw the first 3 1/2 episodes of TC, but those three were so interchangeable (body says 'help me', a slightly disbelieving Tru relives the day, everyone thinks she's crazy, she saves them in the nick of time - probably after almost getting it wrong).
Svein
It got better. There was this whole plot with Jason Priestley and him being an "evil" tripper or whatever you call those who can jump back a day are (I forget). It was getting kinda interesting and I really wanted to see where they were going with it.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Svein @ Jan 3 2006, 03:34 PM)
It got better.  There was this whole plot with Jason Priestley and him being an "evil" tripper or whatever you call those who can jump back a day are (I forget).  It was getting kinda interesting and I really wanted to see where they were going with it.

Hm, ok. I guess I feel it should have just jumped in a bit quicker to show that it wasn't just going to be same-same every episode.

And you can't deny Faith would have been cool.
maian
Does anyone else remember a BBC show from the early 90's called 'Crime Travellers'? It was about two detectives (a man and a woman) who used a time machine to solve crimes. It amy not sound great, but it worked really well with a few lovely paradoxes that made the show interesting. The one I remember most clearly being a case where the male detective saw someone with the murder weapon behind a curtain (in silhouette), they chase the person but lose them. Once he travels back in time, he goes to the place where he saw the shadow, hoping to catch the person in the act, arrives 'too late', picks up the weapon, and suddenly realises that his was the shadow he saw. Cue a sequence of him trying to escape his past self.

I'd like to see that show revived.
Henry Krinkle
I seem to remember Crime Travellers. Did it star Chloe 'Kochanski 2 from Red Dwarf' Anett, and that bloke from out of Eastenders and Holby City?
maian
I believe it did, I didn't realise she was Kochanski 2 as well. Does sully the memory of Crime Travellers a bit, but it was still great Saturday night entertainment.

Edit: According to imdb the show was on in 1997, which I know isn't right because I remember which house I lived in when I saw it and it would have been in 1994 or 5.
Blind I/O
Holy crap, yeah, I remember that now. Good show.
Jessopjessopjessop
Crime Traveller has just reminded me of a show - maybe y'all can help.

It was mid-nineties, probably really bad, but quite enjoyable. This chap - a square-jawed genetically enhanced crime-fighter would go back in time to prevent crime - carried a credit-card sized device which projected a hologram of a librarian-type woman who would give him vital information. He was very quick, trained in martial arts, and a bloody nice guy. I think the title included the word 'Time'.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jan 3 2006, 03:43 PM)
Crime Traveller has just reminded me of a show - maybe y'all can help.

It was mid-nineties, probably really bad, but quite enjoyable. This chap - a square-jawed genetically enhanced crime-fighter would go back in time to prevent crime - carried a credit-card sized device which projected a hologram of a librarian-type woman who would give him vital information. He was very quick, trained in martial arts, and a bloody nice guy. I think the title included the word 'Time'.

Yeah, I remember it. Shocking 'Quantum Leap' rip off. What the hell was it called?

ETA, remembered! It was called Time Trax
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Jan 3 2006, 03:47 PM)
Yeah, I remember it. Shocking 'Quantum Leap' rip off. What the hell was it called?

Indeed it was a rip-off - QL for the under 12s on a Saturday afternoon. But I liked the idea of the main guy's skills - combining almost physic intuition and superb reflexes to seemingly slow time or become super-humanly fast.

Edit - Bingo! Good work Gulftastic.
Svein
I remember that one... Time Trax...

It was cringeworthly enjoyable!
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Svein @ Jan 3 2006, 03:54 PM)
I remember that one...  Time Trax...

"It began in the future. A scientist turning to evil; a time machine, called Trax. Criminals who vanish, and a lawman who must pursue into the past...
Now, he is among us, a special breed of man. A hunter, traveling through our world, searching for fugitives from his own...knowing he can not go home, until he has found them all. His name is Darien Lambert, and this is his story."
Svein
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Dec 30 2005, 08:55 AM)
I saw a story today about Seb Coe's knighthood and all I can picture in my mind is him handcuffed to a railing by his leg in the leisure centre.

Same here. Everytime I hear something about him & think of Brittas. happy.gif
Sostie
QUOTE (Svein @ Jan 3 2006, 02:25 PM)

First series of Buffy was very poor compared to later series, but considering they were a last minute replacement for a mid-season cancellation and had only a matter of weeks to get it on screen they did a pretty good job
cueballthedog
for any one whos home and interested they are rerunning quantum leap on itv3 at around 10.35am during the week

dave cool.gif

to add my missed program round the twist
Omniscia
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Jan 3 2006, 11:26 AM)
Chloe 'Kochanski 2 from Red Dwarf' Anett

Somewhere around here, there's video of me handing her a note or two, on the air, during a Red Dwarf pledge-drive marathon I volunteered for at one of the local PBS stations. At that time, they were trying to drum up support for Series 8, and sent the cast stateside to shill for PBS... Alas, we weren't quite big enough to warrant Chris Barrie, but, hey, it's fine.
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jan 4 2006, 08:11 AM)
Alas, we weren't quite big enough to warrant Chris Barrie, but, hey, it's fine.

Perhaps he was busy shooting his 'hit' show A Prince Among Men.
zeden
QUOTE (cueballthedog @ Jan 4 2006, 05:15 AM)
to add my missed program round the twist

I'll second that one and go one better- Erie Indiana (only the origional series mind).

The kid with grey hair and a plus and minus in his hands was cool. It also had Gomez from the origional Addams Family in it. Some wicked plots, including the AI cash machine that makes friends with a kid and gives him all the towns money.
ipse dixit
Eerie Indiana was very great. Round the Twist just has the soul destroying power of implanting the theme tune deep in my psyche for days on end. Yeah, thanks for reminding me of that one, cueball.

#Have you ever
Ever felt like this?
When strange things happen
Are you going Round the Twist?#

GAH!
spacegurl
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Jan 4 2006, 11:10 AM)
#Have you ever
Ever felt like this?

GAH!

Nooo!
Blind I/O
You bugger.
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (zeden @ Jan 4 2006, 11:07 AM)
I'll second that one and go one better- Erie Indiana (only the origional series mind).

The kid with grey hair and a plus and minus in his hands was cool. It also had Gomez from the origional Addams Family in it. Some wicked plots, including the AI cash machine that makes friends with a kid and gives him all the towns money.

That show was great! I'll always remember the episode where Marshall 'escaped' the show, and all the other actors played themselves. It was my first experience of a show being 'post modern'.

QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Jan 4 2006, 11:10 AM)
#Have you ever
Ever felt like this?

GAH!

*puts fingers in ears*
I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening!
ipse dixit
I fancied Marshall
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Jan 4 2006, 11:43 AM)
I fancied Marshall

Small text doesn't lessen your shame.
Henry Krinkle
I fancied Marshall's Mum, but not when she was in Dawson's Creek.

EDIT:-
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jan 4 2006, 11:44 AM)

That's some help now!
zeden
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Jan 4 2006, 11:17 AM)
That show was great! I'll always remember the episode where Marshall 'escaped' the show, and all the other actors played themselves. It was my first experience of a show being 'post modern'.

That was the last episode of the first series. I remember vividly that the anouncer at the end said that a new series would be starting later in the year. It never did. Instead years later there was another series with different kids and all the good bits taken out. Rubbish.

Best bit of Round the Twist- The episode where the boy of the family pee's over a 10 foot wall. Cant remember why exacty, but it made me laugh.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jan 4 2006, 12:44 PM)

You're right. Besides, what kind of a name is 'Omri Katz'?

Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (zeden @ Jan 4 2006, 12:18 PM)
the boy of the family pee's over a 10 foot wall

His pee's what?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.