Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TV's Most Missed
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Raven
According to an article on the BBC's web site Star Trek is the nations most missed TV series with Buffy second and Friends third.

The top ten is as follows:

1. Star Trek
2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
3. Friends
4. Fawlty Towers
5. Blake's 7
6. The X-Files
7. Babylon 5
8. Stargate
9. Seinfeld
10. The A-Team

I don't really understand this list as Enterprise hasn't finished on C4 yet, so there is still "new" Star Trek on TV, and there are two different incarnations of Stargate currently doing the rounds on Sky, and one being shown on C4 as well (you could also throw in the endless re-runs of Friends on C4 as well!).

Did someone just pick programs names out of a hat for this?! huh.gif
maian
I think they mean the original series of Star Trek as opposed to the subsequent versions that have been made, and not a lot of people have Sky so would only see the one incarnation.

They may have presented them with a list of shows that aren't being made anymore rather than shows that aren't shown. I'm quite surprised to see Stargate so high up.
Kirstie
I'm not sure how you can miss Friends. It's a shame they stopped making any new ones, but the old ones are shown nearly every day on channel 4 and E4, so you can't really miss it.

I miss Pets Win Prizes, but no-one else apart from my boyfriend and me remember it.
Reg
I miss Angel and Roswell but I'm a sucker for a good teen thriller with unnatural happenings.

Twin Peaks too!

The cool thing for me with the x-files is that it was on tv on a saturday night in france so I am seeing most of them for the first time on sky now. In fact, I am watcing one as we speak.
Sostie
I definitely miss Angel & Buffy. Especially in view that the new Sky TV season is about to start - January was always exciting waiting for the Whedon shows to start again.
DOD-MDK
I dont understand why Stargate is a missed program? SG1 has been greenlighted for a 10th season and Atlantis is going into its 3rd.

And Enterprise ended last year, thats why its on the list I hate to say it but you guys are getting re-runs
maian
They're technically not re-runs if we've not had them aired yet, and it's Star Trek with reference to the original series (I think, not too sure really).

Does anyone know if Channel 4 will screen Enterprise's last season or not? I think it's shit anyway but it would be nice if they showed the last season for those who believe it to be any good.
mrjester
I was always pissed off they ended Dark Skies early because it wasnt very popular in the US. Oh well.
Sostie
QUOTE (DOD-MDK @ Dec 28 2005, 11:34 PM)
And Enterprise ended last year, thats why its on the list I hate to say it but you guys are getting re-runs

Not quite...US shows usually arrive on UK cable channels about 4 months after they are shown in the UK. Then, usually, after they have had the full series on cable thay appear on terrestrial channels (which everyone has). So they are not exactly re-runs, just a fisrt showing through a media everyone has access to.
Ohio_is_for_lovers
QUOTE (Kirstie @ Dec 28 2005, 07:13 PM)
I'm not sure how you can miss Friends. It's a shame they stopped making any new ones, but the old ones are shown nearly every day on channel 4 and E4, so you can't really miss it.

I miss Pets Win Prizes, but no-one else apart from my boyfriend and me remember it.

Too true, ah pets win prizes, that was back in the day stuff that. Hmmm, i miss adam and joe, my best of dvd just isnt sufficient im afraid, hmmm i also quite miss the detectives (god knows where the book is), hmmm also not seen the A- Team for ages, used to watch that with my mum all the time as a kid. Alot of stuff on the list i dont particularly miss to be honest.
DOD-MDK
QUOTE (Sostie @ Dec 28 2005, 06:40 PM)
Not quite...US shows usually arrive on UK cable channels about 4 months after they are shown in the UK.  Then, usually,  after they have had the full series on cable thay appear on terrestrial channels (which everyone has).  So they are not exactly re-runs, just a fisrt showing through a media everyone has access to.

Sorry, Im am admittantly ignorant as to how the UK TV system works.
Ghost_862
Jo Brand's Hot Potatoes
Sostie
QUOTE (DOD-MDK @ Dec 28 2005, 11:53 PM)
Sorry, Im am admittantly ignorant as to how the UK TV system works.

No worries.

I actually used to be quite jealous by the fact that the US got so many TV shows so long before us, but have changed my opinion over the years.

I know that when we used to get Buffy & Angel although we would start a new season few months later, we would never have the occaisional 2 or 3 week break between episodes - we would get to see them weekly and uninterrupted, and they used to catch up and conclude a few days after it did in the US.

As for shows like the Simpson, I was amazed how many ad breaks were crammed into such a short show when I was over there - we would get one or none depending on the channel it was shown
DOD-MDK
Yeah the commercials are a bit idiotic, but that is what TIVO is for!!!!.
Raven
QUOTE (maian @ Dec 28 2005, 11:37 PM)
Does anyone know if Channel 4 will screen Enterprise's last season or not? I think it's shit anyway but it would be nice if they showed the last season for those who believe it to be any good.

C4 are about half-way through season 4 at present, and they aren't re-runs for us UK terrestrial viewers! smile.gif

I've always been a Trek fan but I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't that much of a fan of Voyager and I certainly wasn't a fan of the first two series of Enterprise.

Series three of Enterprise however was quite a good story and season 4, so far, has been pretty good also.

All of the sequel Star Trek series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine etc, have required three or four series to really get going yet Paramount/Viacom etc haven't afforded that luxury to Enterprise which, on the evidence of this season so far, is a shame.
fatseff1234
I miss the Mr Hell Show and Rex The Runt.

And Futurama obviously
DOD-MDK
"Enterprise" was about to get the axe in season 3, But fan outcry (or the need for 100 episode's to make a Syndication package viable) saved the show for a 4th season. I will say that the 4th season was by far the best one and has had some of the best episodes of Trek in a loooooooong time, "Borderland","The Augments", "Cold Station 12", and "....In The Mirror Darkly parts 1 and 2" were some of the best episodes ever. the show really started to become what its intended purpose was, to be a prequel to "Star Trek". but alas it was not to be. Even with its budget cut the ratings were not good enough. (Its cost around $6 Million an ep, or in other words 3 eps of "Stargate SG1", or 2 eps of "Battlestar Galactica" or 4 eps of "Doctor Who" per 1 ep of "Enterprise". the numbers were not in its favor.
ronlogan1977
All you need is Satellite TV and you`ll get all those programs on constant rotation.
As for Babylon 5 being one of TVs most missed. Jesus Wept.
thirtyhelens
Firefly. Clearly. happy.gif
Henry Krinkle
I generally don't miss shows that are 'finished' but constantly re-run half as much as the ones that have gone forever (apparently). So, whilst I wish there were new episodes of the A-Team to enjoy I know I can probably catch it on UK Gold at some point.
I miss Fist Of Fun and Garth Menghi's Darkplace a lot as they will seemingly never get a DVD release or television re-run. I also miss American Gothic.

My one exception to the 'I won't miss the lack of new episodes because I can watch a re-run or DVD' rule is Six Feet Under. It only finished a few months back but I'm already hungry for some new episodes.
Ingram
QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 28 2005, 05:39 PM)
The top ten is as follows:

1. Star Trek
2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
3. Friends
4. Fawlty Towers
5. Blake's 7
6. The X-Files
7. Babylon 5
8. Stargate
9. Seinfeld
10. The A-Team

Wuh??

Star Trek (in nearly all its incarnations) is repeated to excess on Sky One daily and now terrestrial is even screening a few; Voyager is on "five", Enterprise is on "Channel Four". As for Friends, don't even get me started. Buffy I do miss obviously but considering I own all the episodes and Sky One has an episode a day... I wouldn't mind new episodes or a movie of course (please let the rumours be true). Stargate, as Raven says, currently has two incarnations running on both terrestrial (sort of) and Sky.
ipse dixit
Buffy, Angel, Firefly. Except I was happy with Buffy finishing, so scratch that one. Just Angel and Firefly. And Northern Exposure, but only when it was good - not the shit episodes after Morrow legged it. And, to be obvious, Spaced.

But Angel and Firefly are the only 2 that could stand up to being brought back, and even then it would be tough because of *sniff sniff* certain character changes...
benbobjr
twin peaks and american gothic for me. i loved x files back in the day, but by the time it was cancelled it had lost all of its magic that it used to hold.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (benbobjr @ Dec 29 2005, 01:46 PM)
twin peaks and american gothic for me. i loved x files back in the day, but by the time it was cancelled it had lost all of its magic that it used to hold.

What ever happened to American Gothic? I remember watching it and thinking it was great, but I don't remember it ending...

Nor do I remember when I stopped watching the X-Files, or much of what happened before that. I fear for my memory sometimes.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Dead Like Me, Angel, Firefly, Grosse Point, Futurama and Arrested Development (although the latter amy live again)
joelb
Friends?
FRIENDS?
who can honestly say they miss that?
zeden
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Dec 29 2005, 09:19 AM)
I miss Fist Of Fun and Garth Menghi's Darkplace a lot as they will seemingly never get a DVD release or television re-run. I also miss American Gothic.

Could have sworn that I saw Dark Place on the bbfc web site recently getting passed for DVD release.

Monkey needs a decent airing on channel 4. Last time they showed it, they played it at 1am on a Wednesday. More people should see this program.

Friends will never disappear. 9 times out of 10 when I switch a TV on Friends will be on. Plus, its not actually that great.

More Adam and Joe would make me do a merry jig, the same goes for TV Offal.
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Dec 29 2005, 12:55 PM)
What ever happened to American Gothic? I remember watching it and thinking it was great, but I don't remember it ending...

Merlyn (the ghostly, Alannis Morrisette look-e-like sister) exploded in a flash of bright white light (I think as a result of saving her brother, Cabel's life).
Sheriff Lucas Buck then stepped in to take the glory. With Merlyn out of the picture it looked as if Buck would be free to mould young Cabel in his own image.

That's how I remember it anyway. I may be wrong as it's a TV show I saw once, about 10 years ago.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Dec 29 2005, 02:21 PM)
Merlyn (the ghostly, Alannis Morrisette look-e-like sister) exploded in a flash of bright white light (I think as a result of saving her brother, Cabel's life).
Sheriff Lucas Buck then stepped in to take the glory. With Merlyn out of the picture it looked as if Buck would be free to mould young Cabel in his own image.

huh.gif That's quite a dark ending. I feel someone's told me before that it got cut short or something. I really should pay more attention.
Henry Krinkle
It was obviously being tinkered with by some sort of higher power (I'm going to guess TV Execs, probably with big fat cigars and plenty of advertisers to keep happy). Whenever a plot strand started to go murky it would be curtailed. The thing that annoyed me the most was the doctor character that left the show about halfway through the series. He was getting interesting and just seemed to vanish and be replaced by another character for no reason.
I'd love to see this show played out without any interference.
mrjester
Dungeons and Dragons (cartoon). Although I saw in HMV you can now buy the box set. Ahhh... how I live in the 80s...sigh.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Forgot one, namely TV BURP!

Harry Hill is brilliant, he even makes 'You;ve Been Framed' nearly watchable.
benbobjr
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Dec 29 2005, 01:24 PM)
huh.gif  That's quite a dark ending. I feel someone's told me before that it got cut short or something. I really should pay more attention.

yeah that was how it ended if i remeber rightly very dark, but also set up for a second series. the series got cut short in america, got cancelled halfway through its run. and i believe if my memory is right when they showed it here in the uk the episodes wernt quite in the right order for some reason

QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Dec 29 2005, 01:32 PM)
It was obviously being tinkered with by some sort of higher power (I'm going to guess TV Execs, probably with big fat cigars and plenty of advertisers to keep happy). Whenever a plot strand started to go murky it would be curtailed. The thing that annoyed me the most was the doctor character that left the show about halfway through the series. He was getting interesting and just seemed to vanish and be replaced by another character for no reason.
I'd love to see this show played out without any interference.

its comming out on dvd in febuary, about time i say
Jinx
Twin Peaks, Carnivale, Invader Zim, Firefly and Max Headroom. Bring 'em back.
maian
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Dec 29 2005, 01:10 PM)
Firefly, Futurama and Arrested Development (although the latter amy live again)

Definitely would go for those ones, though I don't think AD has been cancelled just yet, and I hope that it'll get picked up by soemone else, it certainly deserves to be.

I quite miss God, The Devil and Bob. Not only was it a fairly funny cartoon, but it was banned after one or two episodes in the US which always made me appreciate it more when I watched it.
Jessopjessopjessop
Firefly for sure.

Henry - you are right about American Gothic's ending. I really liked that show. But fear not for Garth Marenghi - that will appear on DVD.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (maian @ Dec 29 2005, 07:15 AM)
Definitely would go for those ones, though I don't think AD has been cancelled just yet, and I hope that it'll get picked up by soemone else, it certainly deserves to be.

The bidding is still ongoing. One of the networks may actually pick up the remaining order for this season, but beyond that it's all up in the air.

"I love JUUUUUUUUUUICE!!"
Punkass
Quantum Leap
kiss my empty bag
what actually happened with futurama?
PrincessKate
QUOTE (maian @ Dec 29 2005, 03:15 PM)
I quite miss God, The Devil and Bob. Not only was it a fairly funny cartoon, but it was banned after one or two episodes in the US which always made me appreciate it more when I watched it.

That's what I was going to ask for for Christmas, I new there was another r1 DVD.
I miss it too, Alan Cumming was excellent as satan:

Satan: Do you have any gel, Smeck?
Smeck: Well, I'm not really a gel guy...
Satan WHY CAN I NEVER HAVE ANYTHING I WANT?!

Come to think of it, I miss Stressed Eric (For giving us the exclamation 'arseburgers!') and Bob and Margaret ("And I found a penis in my auntie's handbag.") too.
Ghost_862
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Dec 29 2005, 01:41 PM)
Forgot one, namely TV BURP!

Harry Hill is brilliant, he even makes 'You;ve Been Framed' nearly watchable.

TV Burp is back this year smile.gif
maian
QUOTE (kiss my empty bag @ Dec 29 2005, 07:01 PM)
what actually happened with futurama?

Fox killed it off by putting it on at ungodly hours and therefore ensuring that the ratings would be low and that they'd have a suitable reason to cancel it. The people on the show kind of knew that they wouldn't survive another season which is why 'The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings' has an ending that leaves it open to continuing but could be seen as the end. There's talk of a straight to DVD movie but it's rumours and odd comments at the moment.
m0r1arty
I miss Next Gen, I think I always will, but not any of the other franchise (of which their were some brilliant ones)

As for Sheriff Buck, well, he's on family guy quite alot now.

Bring back Quantum Leap!!!!!

-m0r
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (m0r1arty @ Dec 29 2005, 10:27 PM)
Bring back Quantum Leap!!!!!

It ended so perfectly though. Probably the most perfect ending of any TV series. Would you really like to see it come back and possibly destroy that?
Reg
I don't think I ever saw the end of Quantum Leap!!

Now I really want to. I missed the last episode of the Mysterious Cities of Gold too. Speaking of which, I miss that. I have heard rumours of a DVD but I have never found one.
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (Reg @ Dec 30 2005, 10:29 AM)
I don't think I ever saw the end of Quantum Leap!!

Sorry if this is cloudy, but it’s all from memory…
In the last episode of Quantum Leap, Sam leapt into himself. He saw his own reflection in a mirror for the first time in years (which doesn’t exactly follow the timeline of the show, since a week in our time is only a day or so in their time, but never mind that…). He was in some weird café, with a bar man called Al. All of the patrons of the café looked like characters from previous episodes, but they were different characters (i.e. same actors playing different characters). All the patrons names had some sort of significance (i.e. one was called Guishi, one had the same name as (hologram) Al’s Russian Uncle, etc).
It was all very baffling. Al couldn’t really explain it, and suspected that Sam was going slightly mad for seeing all the co-incidences as something more than co-incidences.
Sam told Al that he suspected the barman Al to know more about what was going on than he let on. Sam speculated that Barman Al was God, or something similar. Hologram Al didn’t believe this, and left to consult the computers at Project Quantum Leap (this would be the last time Sam would see Al).
Sam confronted barman Al about his suspicions. Barman Al told Sam that he had done amazing things. If memory serves correctly, he said something like “The lives you’ve touched have touched others, and those lives have touched others. You’ve done a lot of good Sam Becket.”
Sam told Barman Al that he just wanted to go home. Barman Al told him he could do that if he wanted to, and that he could leap to wherever he wanted.
It was actually a very touching scene.
Sam then leapt into the past, still as himself (I’m guessing he just keeps his own image now). He was in the home of Al’s first wife, Beth, at a time when Al was missing at war. She was initially shocked at the strange man appearing in her home, but was soon calmed by Sam gently telling her that her husband, Al, was not dead. He was alive, and he was coming home to see her. This caused her to cry with happiness. Sam leaps again, but we don’t see where he goes.
A message then tells us that Al and Beth never split up, and remained happily married. Subsequently, Al never went to work on Project Quantum Leap. Project Quantum Leap never happened and Sam Becket simply continued leaping through time changing history for the better. Sam Becket never returned home.

It essentially ended with Sam breaking out of the fabric of history through changing it so much. He was left as a guardian angel type figure, free to move through time and change things for the better. It was all very emotional, and I had a tear in my eye by the end. If you ever get the chance I would recommend you see it.
Reg
Wow!

Thanks a lot for that! It certainly does sound like the perfect ending to a fantastic show.

I vividly remember watching the repeats on French daytime TV on a daily basis with my mum back in the glorious days when I was too young to work but didn't have enough French to actually go to school.

I shall definitely do some hunting and see if I can lay my hands on it. I wonder if I can download it somewhere...hmmm. I may have to pull in some favours from my internet crowd! If not I'm sure e-bay or Amazon will serve.

Cheers Henry! wub.gif
ronlogan1977
I too had a bit of a tear in my eye at the end of this slice of good ol` sci fi cheese.
It shouldn`t be brought back of course.
Henry Krinkle
I don't think you could succesfully bring it back. It was shaky science to begin with. By the end it had Sam as some sort of all powerful being who could control time with his mind and instantly know what was the right thing to do without the aid of Ziggy and her amazing statistical capabilities.
For a show to try and convey his now Demi-God status, and still be dramatic, would probably be confusing and unsatisfactory.
We're surely better with just the memories.
ipse dixit
I remember watching the last episode. I know the whole tear-to-the-eye thing, but in a way, it also depressed and scared the shit out of me. He was trapped. He could never go home and that was all he'd ever really wanted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.