Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Daily Show
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Svein
I, personally, think it's the best comedy to come out the the US in a hell of a long time!
Kick in the Head
I've only seen a few episodes, but I don't think it's half as funny or bitingly satirical as it thinks it is. It's digs seem to be a bit obvious. Admittedly, it is on every day, so keeping up the quality must be tough, but I'd rather watch The Day Today or Brass Eye. So I can "Take it or leave it".

Nevertheless, I am looking forward to seeing Jon Stewart host the Oscars.
fear_of_pop
I like it more than 'take it or leave it' but less than 'pure genius'.

Am looking forward to the Oscars too. Just hope it's actually on TV over here for a fucking change, and I don't have to get my friend in Ireland to tape it for me again. mad.gif
gulfcoast_highwayman
Last night's interview about the small Texas town that has changed it's name following a deal with a cable company was genius.

When he got the expert discussing Oscar The Grouch's ability to eat rubbish and the guy stopped himself 'I can't believe I'm having this debate' was pure gold.
Svein
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Jan 12 2006, 02:47 PM)
Last night's interview about the small Texas town that has changed it's name following a deal with a cable company was genius.

When he got the expert discussing Oscar The Grouch's ability to eat rubbish and the guy stopped himself 'I can't believe I'm having this debate' was pure gold.

I almost fell of the sofa...

That and the "Ted Kennedy" game!
Julie
I've been a big fan for years, it's almost a ritual around here. I think Jon Stewart is hilarious and his political alignment is close to mine (ie: Bush is retarded) so I thoroughly enjoy the program.
Svein
It's one of the only true satirical shows that I know of in the US!
Julie
Are you guys getting the Colbert Report yet? It's sort of meant to be a Republican rebuttle to the Daily Show (completely in jest of course) and takes the satire much farther than Jon Stewart does. Very very amusing.

Incase you don't know, Stephen Colbert was one of Stewart's "reporters" for ages until he got his spin-off, which is done by all the same people.
Svein
I remember the Daily Show back in the day when Craig Kilbourn hosted and A. Whitney Brown was the main reporter....
whitey
Occassional moments of sheer brilliance, occassional moments of utter shite, mostly just good entertaining viewing.
SpaceSickPip
QUOTE (whitey)
Occassional moments of sheer brilliance, occassional moments of utter shite, mostly just good entertaining viewing.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Ingram
I love it. Hands down one of the most consistently funny satire based shows around. I don't know how better to put it, but from what I saw of it last year it was fantastic. Haven't got round to watching many this year of course but I'm downloading so much these days I can't find the time.
Omniscia
QUOTE (Ingram @ Jan 12 2006, 12:59 PM)
I love it.  Hands down one of the most consistently funny satire based shows around.  I don't know how better to put it, but from what I saw of it last year it was fantastic.  Haven't got round to watching many this year of course but I'm downloading so much these days I can't find the time.

Well, you can always watch a fairly comprehensive selection of video clips at their web site, while you're downloading.

Anyway, we don't really have any other programme of this nature in the US, so it's nigh a godsend. As the so-called "liberal/mainstream media" that the right-wingers like to harangue provides less and less actual news coverage, repeating Republican "talking points" and quoting administration PR honchos instead, the Daily Show is, believe it or not, one of the only high-profile, nationwide broadcasts actually bothering to hold those in power to account. Yes, there may be others who did it first, or did it better, in your neck of the woods, but it's all we've got.

As for the Colbert Report (remember, silent t!), it's uncanny how accurate Stephen Colbert's deadpan, dead-serious parody of the likes of Bill O'Reilly is.
Ingram
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jan 12 2006, 06:04 PM)
As for the Colbert Report (remember, silent t!), it's uncanny how accurate Stephen Colbert's deadpan, dead-serious parody of the likes of Bill O'Reilly is.

I got into the Colbert Report on the back of The Daily Show and the little snippets he does at the end of every show. I reckon his response to John Stewart having The White Stripes on is probably the funniest thing I've seen from him, even funnier than anything on his show - although his "tip of the cap, wag of the finger" rants are pretty amusing.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Svein @ Jan 12 2006, 05:49 AM)
I almost fell of the sofa...

That and the "Ted Kennedy" game!

*giggle*

I wish I had taped Rob Corddry at the Michael Jackson trial. Would have made a great double-feature with Triumph the Insult Comic Dog's coverage on Conan.
Ingram
Just watched the 10th and 11th January episodes. Great stuff.
DOD-MDK
Abosoultly love the show. Pure genius. Are you getting the fresh taped just that day episodes? or are they a few days old?
ronlogan1977
Maybe the UK will get Dave Chappelles Show on telly too in the future.
That Blind KKK leader he does is genius.
whitey
QUOTE (ronlogan1977 @ Jan 13 2006, 05:21 AM)
Maybe the UK will get Dave Chappelles Show on telly too in the future.

Surely we'll all have seen it by then. I can't seem to move in the centre of town for scallies doing Lil Jon and Rick James. It's the new Little Britain.
Svein
We usually get about a day or so later...
Julie
Anyone happen to see the January 19th episode yet? The entire first half was spent mocking my country's political system. Very amusing smile.gif
stinketta
The show is very patchy, I find.
Julie
I have to agree with you there. Sometimes I find myself laughing my ass off, like last night, and then five minutes later I'm a bit bored. Worth it for those first bits though, I find.
Omniscia
QUOTE (Julie @ Jan 20 2006, 11:07 AM)
Anyone happen to see the January 19th episode yet?  The entire first half was spent mocking my country's political system.  Very amusing smile.gif

I'll have to look into that... I didn't think there was much worth mocking in Canuckistan, with the current leadership. Paul Martin is perennially unfunny, and Stephen Harper is not much better, Jack Layton reminds me too much of a terrier, and I can't understand a word Gilles Duceppe says. It's not like, say, Gordon Campbell getting arrested for drunk driving in Hawaii, or Rick Mercer getting tens of thousands of signatures on his petition to have Stockwell Day change his name to Doris...

Bring back Jean "A proof is a proof" Chretien already!
Ingram
QUOTE (Julie @ Jan 20 2006, 03:07 PM)
Anyone happen to see the January 19th episode yet?  The entire first half was spent mocking my country's political system.  Very amusing smile.gif

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jan 21 2006, 08:20 AM)
I'll have to look into that... I didn't think there was much worth mocking in Canuckistan, with the current leadership. Paul Martin is perennially unfunny, and Stephen Harper is not much better, Jack Layton reminds me too much of a terrier, and I can't understand a word Gilles Duceppe says. It's not like, say, Gordon Campbell getting arrested for drunk driving in Hawaii, or Rick Mercer getting tens of thousands of signatures on his petition to have Stockwell Day change his name to Doris...

I loved the "INdésicion 2006" coverage, very amusing. Stewarts mocking of "eh?" and "Quebecois" was brilliant although lets face it EVERYONE laughs at those things about Canada.

They actually use 'eh' I just thought it was something they did to us so we'd think they were drunk and harmless.

biggrin.gif
Julie
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jan 21 2006, 04:20 AM)

He managed to make it a very typically American view of what's funny about Canada, which in turn made us laugh at them. Mercer would have been proud.

QUOTE (Ingram @ Jan 21 2006, 09:42 AM)
I loved the "INdésicion 2006" coverage, very amusing.  Stewarts mocking of "eh?" and "Quebecois" was brilliant although lets face it EVERYONE laughs at those things about Canada.

They actually use 'eh' I just thought it was something they did to us so we'd think they were drunk and harmless.

biggrin.gif

The eh bit was my favourite I think. And the feigned terror at the CBC writing a strongly worded letter... that they'll archive!
Omniscia
Be that as it may (whatever that is that may be), I'm interested not in what Rick Mercer has to say on Election Night (well, no, I am interested in that, too), but what Don Cherry has to say. D'ya suppose they'll have him on a 5-second delay for that?

Anyway, as soon as this hockey game is over, I'll check those clips out.
Ingram
Julie, did you manage to catch the Colbert Report the other night? Good news, he's fixed Canada!
Julie
QUOTE (Ingram @ Jan 27 2006, 07:31 AM)
Julie, did you manage to catch the Colbert Report the other night?  Good news, he's fixed Canada!

Haha, as a matter of fact, I did! I loved the balloons!
Ingram
I do like a bit of Stephen Colbert. Referring to Bill O'Reilly as Poppa Bear and showing the most unflattering of clips in tribute to him. Awesome.
Ingram
The Truthiness Teller
gulfcoast_highwayman
The recent epsiodes have been pure gold, following Dick Cheney's mishap. I'm sure it almosts writes itself but it's been hilarious.
Ingram
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Feb 17 2006, 11:07 AM)
The recent epsiodes have been pure gold, following Dick Cheney's mishap. I'm sure it  almosts writes itself but it's been hilarious.

...and just to recap John, today the Vice President shot a 78 year-old man, in what can only be described as... the face.
Julie
The duck hunt sound effects nearly killed me.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Why was last night's a repeat from February 6th?
Omniscia
I don't know. Do you guys usually get them a day or two after we do? 'cos The Daily Show and The Colbert Report were both on hiatus toward the end of last week; they're back now, though.
Suebee42
Even Jon Stewart needs a day off now and again. wink.gif
whitey
I think I want to be Jon Stewart when I grow up. Any thoughts on how I can make that happen?
rabbit57i
Fried Gold
Svein
QUOTE (Ingram @ Feb 17 2006, 12:17 PM)
...and just to recap John, today the Vice President shot a 78 year-old man, in what can only be described as... the face.

I think I snorted beer at that...
Omniscia
Ooo, The Daily Show introduced a new guest correspondent tonight: Dave Gorman. His segment? "Poll Smoking," an in-depth analysis of the latest political poll numbers.
thirtyhelens
Actually, Dave made his debut a few days ago ruminating on the Queen's birthday. biggrin.gif Between him and Demetri Martin, they've got quite a guest correspondent roster these days...
fear_of_pop
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Apr 28 2006, 04:53 AM)
Actually, Dave made his debut a few days ago ruminating on the Queen's birthday. biggrin.gif  Between him and Demetri Martin, they've got quite a guest correspondent roster these days...

ohmy.gif
I'm going to actually have to remember to watch it now.
Dave Gorman!!!

How often is he going to be on it...?
Omniscia
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Apr 28 2006, 12:53 AM)
Actually, Dave made his debut a few days ago ruminating on the Queen's birthday. biggrin.gif  Between him and Demetri Martin, they've got quite a guest correspondent roster these days...

Did he? It must have been one of the nights I was busy watching hockey. Sometimes even TDS has to take a back seat to another programme.
m0r1arty
Yeah, he put a pirce of cake in his pocket. It was goood.

-m0r
rabbit57i
The best part was that he was suppossed to be in London, but he was actually in NY. That made it even funnier, to me at least.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Spoilers, people, spoilers!

We're a day behind in the UK.
Ingram
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Apr 28 2006, 06:09 PM)
Spoilers, people, spoilers!

We're a day behind in the UK.

Seriously?
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Ingram @ Apr 28 2006, 06:35 PM)
Seriously?

Sort of tongue.gif
rabbit57i
He did this on Monday, I've already heard some Brits talking about it on another thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.