Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Life On Mars/Ashes to Ashes
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Baz
Did anyone see last nights episode?

Fantastic begining and very funny, I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.

"Is Mr Hunt beating up another nonce?" biggrin.gif
Sostie
Can't put my finger on why, but last night's epsiode was outstanding.
Starscream`s Ghost
Wasn't it just? I think it was because there was very little gimmick in it, it was a straight-up coppering story in essence. And everyone got their moment to shine.
Baz
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 21 2007, 10:36 AM)

It was well paced and written from the offset which is why it was great.

Is it the last one next week as BBC 4 didn't show next weeks episode.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (Baz @ Mar 21 2007, 10:34 AM)
Fantastic begining and very funny, I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.

"Is Mr Hunt beating up another nonce?" biggrin.gif

I was only slightly disappointed with that because it was basically the bit they nabbed for the teaser trailers last month and I was expecting a bit more (Which I suppose I got, it did run longer than that).

I probably wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been, all the reviews I've read seem to mention things that went completely over my head, so I'll be watching it again next week more carefully. It was interesting the way they made it seem the original murder case wasn't going to be resolved, then had it implicit at the end that it would be sorted out. Although about ten minutes before the end I said with some relief 'Oh, so no one's going to be a paedophile'.
Shows how much I know.
Loved Chris' clear attempts to be a little mini-Ray with the moustache. I await him switching to a leather jacket and sideburns.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Mar 21 2007, 10:45 AM)
Loved Chris' clear attempts to be a little mini-Ray with the moustache. I await him switching to a leather jacket and sideburns.

You just want to get your hands on his juicy fruit.
Sostie
QUOTE (Baz @ Mar 21 2007, 10:39 AM)
It was well paced and written from the offset which is why it was great.

Is it the last one next week as BBC 4 didn't show next weeks episode.

I think there are a couple more left. BBC4 seemed to stop showing the next episode after the first couple of weeks after the football cocked the timing up.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Mar 21 2007, 10:47 AM)
You just want to get your hands on his juicy fruit.

Not with that 'tache I wouldn't.

That reminds me though, considering their schoolmate had been murdered those girls were a bit cheerful weren't they?
Starscream`s Ghost
That's women for you. Heartless harpies. wink.gif
Raven
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 21 2007, 10:50 AM)
I think there are a couple more left.  BBC4 seemed to stop showing the next episode after the first couple of weeks after the football cocked the timing up.

Last night's was 5 of 8, so there's only three more to go . . . sad.gif
PrincessKate
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 21 2007, 10:50 AM)
I think there are a couple more left.  BBC4 seemed to stop showing the next episode after the first couple of weeks after the football cocked the timing up.

Its an eight episode series so there's three (if my maths isn't failing me.) I'm looking forward to next week's as I'm interested to see how they'll tackle the BNP and Neo-nazism.
EDIT: Bugger, Raven got there first!
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Mar 21 2007, 10:51 AM)
That's women for you. Heartless harpies.  wink.gif

Oversexualised teenagers will be the downfall of this country.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Mar 21 2007, 11:02 AM)
Oversexualised teenagers will be the downfall of this country.

Let's hope so.
Sostie
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Mar 21 2007, 11:02 AM)
I'm looking forward to next week's as I'm interested to see how they'll tackle the BNP and Neo-nazism.

Although I do believe racist Skins of the type shown in the preview appeared later than 1973. Was there a mention of the BNP they didn't arrive until the 80's.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 21 2007, 11:13 AM)
Although I do believe racist Skins of the type shown in the preview appeared later than 1973.  Was there a mention of the BNP they didn't arrive until the 80's.

I did wonder about that - BNP was just my gut reaction.
Definitely Neo-nazis though, Swastikas an' all.
EDIT: Would they be National Front then?
gulfcoast_highwayman
It would.

Growing up in 70's, you saw the NF symbol everywhere, with the N & the F merged together.

You were duty bound to add the letter 'A' to the start of it to symbolise the Anti National Front.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 21 2007, 02:36 AM)

Yah-huh. May very well be my favorite episode of both series so far. Five-star, grade-A, tip-top telly. Immensely funny ("What's inert?"..."It's like a nonce"), and yes though Glenn is right about the story being straight-up copper, in execution it was a step more daring and inventive than usual (Yay, the Camberwick Green footage! Plus, that genius montage of Sam running at the beginning, and the "deeper coma" device.... though it reduced Simmy to shouting at a TV screen which was a little bit silly. He pulls it off though. Because he's the mack.)

All capped off neatly with a shameless bit of UST to the strains of Roxy Music. Brill.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Mar 22 2007, 04:54 AM)
though it reduced Simmy to shouting at a TV screen which was a little bit silly. He pulls it off though. Because he's the mack.

He pulls it off, and brilliantly too, I reckon. Especially the part where he touches Annie's face on the screen, and she actually seems to feel it.

Yes, yes, in reality I'm a hopeless romantic. Let us not talk of this again.
PrincessKate
Hmm... having read some of the reactions to this week's episode - most seem to agree it was the best yet - I can see I'm in something of a minority. I liked some aspects of it - the realisation of Sam about Maya's mother and trying to explain the concept of race-hate crime to an unreceptive audience. But for some reason it just didn't gel enough for me - possibly because there wasn't such an even mix of comedy and tragedy this week as there had been in others. But as always, a repeat viewing is required before I properly assess it.
Chris was also incredi-put upon this week for some reason - only to redeem himself (even though he didn't need to) at the end. Could this be a pre-cursor to him coming more to the fore before the finale, or is that just wishful thinking on my part? Probably

Very much looking forward to next week's though. Obvious reasons - Gene dressed up as a giant squirrel. Lovely.
Starscream`s Ghost
For me, it wasn't the best yet. It was cracking, as it always is, but it wasn't the best. That for me will always be last season's finale.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Mar 28 2007, 08:41 AM)
For me, it wasn't the best yet. It was cracking, as it always is, but it wasn't the best. That for me will always be last season's finale.

There seemed to be a lot of 'outside' influence and very little Annie, Ray, or Chris. Or Gene for that matter, even though he was part of the second plot thread.
gulfcoast_highwayman
It had one of Gene's best ever rants though, the one that ended 'Manchester Utd supporting poof!'.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Mar 28 2007, 08:48 AM)
It had one of Gene's best ever rants though, the one that ended 'Manchester Utd supporting poof!'.

That was classic.
Ade
I bloody missed it last night.

Balls.

That said, I have to agree with Glenn's sentiment. This series has yet to really grab me as much as the first. It's still been good stuff, but I'm hoping the remaining four eps improve some.
Starscream`s Ghost
Oh, don't get me wrong. It's still the best thing on telly right now. Not that that's saying much, to be fair. All we Brits seem to be good for when it comes to drama is lacklustre Austen adaptations.

Austen wasn't even that good a writer.
Ade
You're quite right, sir. I didn't intend to twist your words in a negative fashion though. It is still one of the best progs on at the moment - I was just sayin' that it's not quite as good as the first series.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Ade @ Mar 28 2007, 11:27 AM)
You're quite right, sir.  I didn't intend to twist your words in a negative fashion though.

You didn't, and I know you never would. Just a case of stating that even at it's worst, it's still inventive, imaginiative, and knocks the socks off pretty much everything else on the idiot box.
Mrs Watt
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Mar 28 2007, 07:48 AM)

That was funny.
Whens the last one I htought I was last week
Wife Of Rolex
I was confused as to why Sam didn't recognise his girlfriend's mum straight away or react to hearing the asian guy's name. Surely he would've clicked. huh.gif The episode was still very good but it felt like a neccesary foil to free Sam from Maya, so leaving no guilt when he inevitably ends up with Annie.

And who else spotted a bit of Cozy Powell - a Hot Fuzz soundtrack favourite - in there too?

Wife Of Rolex
Mrs Watt
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Mar 28 2007, 11:38 AM)
I was confused as to why Sam didn't recognise his girlfriend's mum straight away or react to hearing the asian guy's name. Surely he would've clicked.  huh.gif  The episode was still very good but it felt like a neccesary foil to free Sam from Maya, so leaving no guilt when he inevitably ends up with Annie.

And who else spotted a bit of Cozy Powell - a Hot Fuzz soundtrack favourite - in there too?
Wife Of Rolex

I noticed that, I was like ooo hot fuzz! Any way Cozy Powell is a waicked drummer.

I hope he ends up with Annie.
Starscream`s Ghost
I doubt it. Cozy Powell's dead.

Oh, you mean...
Raven
I wasn't that taken with last nights offering.

It was good TV, but the story wasn't as good as last weeks and it wasn't that funny either - it felt more like a set up episode for the last two than a story in it's own right.

Next weeks looks good!
Jimmay
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 28 2007, 01:28 PM)
Next weeks looks good!

Just had a thought. And the next bit is spoilered in case some people didn't watch the sneaky peek at the end of last nights episode.

What if Sam was sent back to take Gene Hunt down due to his strictly unorthodox way of doing things? That'd be a twist and a half.
You used this to treat him? Where the hell did you train?

And was anyone else confused when in the preview we heard Gene talking to Sam on the phone? I thought he was talking to him from the future?
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Mar 28 2007, 02:37 PM)
Just had a thought. And the next bit is spoilered in case some people didn't watch the sneaky peek at the end of last nights episode.

What if Sam was sent back to take Gene Hunt down due to his strictly unorthodox way of doing things? That'd be a twist and a half.
You used this to treat him? Where the hell did you train?

And was anyone else confused when in the preview we heard Gene talking to Sam on the phone? I thought he was talking to him from the future?

I have a theory that...

Gene is the guy who knocked Sam down in the first place

Wife Of Rolex
Jimmay
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Mar 28 2007, 02:09 PM)
I have a theory that...

Gene is the guy who knocked Sam down in the first place
Wife Of Rolex

hmmm, maybe thats why they emphasised specifically on him drinking too much in this episode, drink driving maybe?
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Mar 28 2007, 03:14 PM)
hmmm, maybe thats why they emphasised specifically on him drinking too much in this episode, drink driving maybe?

We'll have to wait and see. They filmed two endings to keep the media and fans guessing ( though from what I can tell the last episode is about an undercover job at a train station. Maybe Sam finds himself on a train to Hyde...to consciousness ) , but they'll use the ending they've always intended. They wouldn't change it after planning and writing it for 10 years. Keeps us on our toes, though.

Wife Of Rolex
Ade
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Mar 29 2007, 01:23 AM)
They wouldn't change it after planning and writing it for 10 years.

Jeezuph Cripes, is that really how long the writers have spent on it?
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Ade @ Mar 29 2007, 01:26 AM)
Jeezuph Cripes, is that really how long the writers have spent on it?

Pretty much. But that's what makes it such a great show. The sheer amount of time and effort that's gone into developing it has, in the end, produced one the best and most original TV dramas ever.

Wife Of Rolex
Twinkle
My hand just slipped and bought the first series from hmv.co.uk biggrin.gif

I can't really afford it but I must have it after watching this series. I didn't see much of the first one but I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I just hope it arrives before the end of this series, knowing the outcome might make me watch it in a different way, if you get what I mean.

Get a mini Gene or Sam on your desktop
PrincessKate
radiotimes.com has finally put up a synopsis for the final episode and this got me ridiculously excited:
...But events unfold disastrously as CID begin to learn the truth about Sam just as the heist is in progress.

Ooh.
stinketta
Last weeks somewhat mediocre episode was followed up by an absolutely top notch one tonight. I don't want it all to end next week.

Oh well, I missed all of the first series, so I suppose I still have that to look forward to. smile.gif
Ade
QUOTE (stinketta @ Apr 4 2007, 01:21 AM)
Last weeks somewhat mediocre episode was followed up by an absolutely top notch one tonight. I don't want it all to end next week.

Although I missed last week's, I agree totally - tonight's were a cracker. I'm a bit gutted that it's all fin-ito as of next week too. Looking forward to a cracking finale though.

QUOTE (stinketta @ Apr 4 2007, 01:21 AM)
Oh well, I missed all of the first series, so I suppose I still have that to look forward to. smile.gif

Eee, it's reet good Helen, you'll love it.
Starscream`s Ghost
Seconded. You will.

And I'm even more excited by the fact they didn't show a trail for next week's episode last night. It's gonna be good.
Jimmay
I'm well chuffed that my prediction was sort of confirmed at the end of last nights show, that Sam was sent back to take down Gene Hunt and clean up Manchester. But you know what? I've got a feeling its not going to be that simple.

Also, great to see the legend that is Ralph Brown, aka, Wayne's World 2's Del Preston. I kept on expecting him to say "I was in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon."
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Apr 4 2007, 09:41 AM)
Also, great to see the legend that is Ralph Brown, aka, Wayne's World 2's Del Preston. I kept on expecting him to say "I was in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon."

But it's weird to see him smart, isn't it? biggrin.gif
Jubei
Did anyone notice that he was wearing very similar colours to Sam? They were both wearing black, with purple (Sams shirt, Morgans Wasitcoat/jacket lining). At first I thought Morgan was an older version of Sam.
Starscream`s Ghost
Must be a Hyde thang.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Jubei @ Apr 4 2007, 09:07 AM)
Did anyone notice that he was wearing very similar colours to Sam?  They were both wearing black, with purple (Sams shirt, Morgans Wasitcoat/jacket lining).  At first I thought Morgan was an older version of Sam.

Yeah, I did notice that actually. The colour stood out quite a lot in the dank surroundings so I'm pretty sure it was deliberate. But what does it all mean?

Going back to my Catholic School upbringing and reminded by the time of the year, purple is worn during advent, the lead up to Easter and the resurrection or reawakening of Christ. Maybe its a subtle reference to the build up to next weeks final episode where Sam rises from the dead.

Or maybe they just like the colour?
PrincessKate
Ray finally appeared to have run a comb through his hair this episode so I was appeased on that front.
Episode was excellent - and even though I'd been spoilered to death about Tufty it was still hilarious, and now I am on tenterhooks.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (stinketta @ Apr 3 2007, 04:21 PM)

Gads, me neither. Although after catching up with both last night, I think I did like 2.6 quite a lot - if only for the fantastic rapid-fire barrage of Hunt one-liners. One ever thirty seconds, on average. FANTASTIC.

This weeks, however, was positively monumental. So. Good.

Ralph Brown! THAT'S who that was - fuck it was driving me crazy. He looks so different with a haircut and not waving a Camberwell Carrot around. laugh.gif Toolbox's old lady from last week I recognized right away from Early Doors, she's terrific. What a character.
Starscream`s Ghost
Not long to wait now, and we'll know just what the hell's been going on for two series...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.