Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Life On Mars/Ashes to Ashes
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 11 2007, 04:25 PM)
Though he could have made it all up and it just happens to mirror our reality. Delusions tend to be very intricate and vivid in some cases, so it could happen. Besides which, they're all fairly common names.

But he knew Marc Bolan would die in a mini. He knew about Hillsborough. He knew about the Birmingham Six. He recognised Pulp's 'Disco 2000' on the radio.

Too much of a coincidence to be delusions, in my opinion.

Wife Of Rolex
Raven
I've been thinking about this on and off today, and I'm pretty much convinced now that he was from 2006/7 and that he's put himself back in a coma (or more probably that he died when the Test Card girl turned off the picture).

If there wasn't going to be a sequel I could more readily believe some of the alternatives, but the evidence now seems to support the above rather than him being from '73.

It's a bit of a bold move though, giving your character the happy ending, but in reality killing him off . . .

I wonder what the alternate ending they filmed was?
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 11 2007, 04:50 PM)
I wonder what the alternate ending they filmed was?

It crossed my mind that the alternate ending they filmed was purely for the DVD as an extra and what we saw last night was always going to be the aired ending.

Talking of the DVD, I'd love it to have a full Camberwick Green episode with all the LOM characters as an extra. With Brain Cant narrating.

Wife Of Rolex
Chapman Baxter
Oooh, here's a thought: what if the operation failed, Sam died ('When you stop feeling, you're dead'), and he got to choose whether to fade out to a sterile imagined present or a colourful past?

Still a bit of a downer, and still means 'it was all a dream', but not quite so depressing, perhaps.
Raven
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Apr 11 2007, 04:58 PM)
It crossed my mind that the alternate ending they filmed was purely for the DVD as an extra and what we saw last night was always going to be the aired ending.

The alternate ending isn't listed amongst the extras on Play.com
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 11 2007, 05:23 PM)
The alternate ending isn't listed amongst the extras on Play.com

Is it not? In that case it confirms my other theory...there never was an alternate ending. What we saw was always what we were going to get.

Unless it's an easter egg feature. Oh, more mystery! When will it end? wacko.gif

Wife Of Rolex
maian
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Apr 11 2007, 04:49 PM)
But he knew Marc Bolan would die in a mini. He knew about Hillsborough. He knew about the Birmingham Six. He recognised Pulp's 'Disco 2000' on the radio.

Too much of a coincidence to be delusions, in my opinion.
Wife Of Rolex

But if we take as writ the idea that he is from 1973, then he could imagine the future to be however he wanted, providing an infinite number of possibilities and he ended up with the one in the show. The fact that it is identical to our present is beside the point.
Jubei
Or, they're suggesting that we are part of Sams future delusion.
Ade
QUOTE (Jubei @ Apr 11 2007, 06:19 PM)

You....you mean, we're not real?
NiteFall
Ade, nothing has been real since you went to Recall...
Sostie
This years BAFTA nominations..

ACTOR

JIM BROADBENT - Longford (Channel 4)
ANDY SERKIS - Longford (Channel 4)
MICHAEL SHEEN - Kenneth Williams: Fantabulosa! (BBC4)
JOHN SIMM - Life On Mars (BBC1)

DRAMA SERIES

LIFE ON MARS
- Production Team (BBC1/Kudos Film & Television)
SHAMELESS - Production Team (C4/Company Pictures)
SUGAR RUSH - Production Team (C4/Shine Productions)
THE STREET - Jimmy McGovern, Sita Williams, David Blair, Ken Horn (BBC1/Granada Productions)

PIONEER AUDIENCE AWARD

LIFE ON MARS
THE ROYLE FAMILY: QUEEN OF SHEBA
DRAGONS' DEN
THE VICAR OF DIBLEY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL
PLANET EARTH
CELEBRITY BIG BROTHER

Considering the general plaudits for Philip Glenister, no nomination! If they did have a supporting actor one I'm sure he'd be in there.
Ade
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Apr 11 2007, 06:40 PM)
Ade, nothing has been real since you went to Recall...

I wondered why everyone keeps calling me Quade.
NiteFall
Are you sure that isn't just one person with a strange speech impediment calling you Ade?
Ade
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Apr 11 2007, 06:47 PM)
Are you sure that isn't just one person with a strange speech impediment calling you Ade?

I think maybe I have a hearing impediment.
sarkybarker
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 11 2007, 01:37 PM)
It's not that he can't hack it, just that he was happier in the 1970s. Though 21st century Manchester may have been the delusion and the 1970s real, not the other way around.

This was my thinking during the show. When he first woke up from the coma, my first notion was that this was his fantasy. Then with the twist, i totally disregarded that theory.

Rightly or wrongly? Feck knows.
sarkybarker
QUOTE (Jubei @ Apr 11 2007, 05:19 PM)

Ooh er. ohmy.gif

You mean we're all extras that will never be seen? Our role was just to watch the thing?

It's gone a bit Truman Show...
Raven
From Digital Spy:

'Life On Mars' spin-off details announced.

Fresh from his Life On Mars exploits in 1973 Manchester, Gene Hunt will be fast forwarding to 1981 London for a new spin-off, Ashes to Ashes.

Alongside Philip Glenister's return as the brash and brutal Hunt, Dean Andrews and Marshall Lancaster will be returning to reprise their roles as sidekicks Ray Carling and Chris Skelton respectively. However, Gene will be swapping his iconic Ford Cortina for an Audi Quattro, Chris will be a surveillance supremo and Ray is destined to be seduced by perms and London nightlife.

The series will follow the same format too, with a modern day police officer transported back in time after suffering a horrific accident. Whilst Sam Tyler will not feature, his presence will be felt as the new lead character - DCI Alex Drake - spent months studying Tyler's psychological evaluations after he emerged from his coma, where he detailed Hunt and his team.

Drake, a single mother, has yet to be cast but is described as "sexy and inteliigent" by the programme's makers and is an expert in psychological profiling. A romance is also hinted at between Drake and Hunt.

Named after a David Bowie song like its predecessor, Ashes To Ashes will also be developed by the same writers - Matthew Graham and Ashley Pharaoh - and the same co-production between Kudos, Monastic Productions and the BBC.

“Ashes to Ashes is the next chapter in the life of Gene Hunt, as seen through the eyes of a modern, no nonsense woman," stated Executive Producer Jane Featherstone. "It’s a touch of Moonlighting teamed with a measure of Miami Vice! The search for Gene’s sexy side-kick is definitely on; she’ll hopefully give him a serious run for his money!”

The Life On Mars sequel is scheduled to begin filming in London this summer for transmission on BBC One early in 2008.
stinketta
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 12 2007, 01:49 PM)
The search for Gene’s sexy side-kick is definitely on

Me?

I would have got an A in Drama GCSE if I'd actually done the coursework.
Jubei
QUOTE (BBC)
Whilst Sam Tyler will not feature, his presence will be felt as the new lead character - DCI Alex Drake - spent months studying Tyler's psychological evaluations after he emerged from his coma, where he detailed Hunt and his team.

Looks like Jimmay got it right off the bat, give that man a Jaffa Cake.
Chapman Baxter
The writer's explanation, plus discussion of Ashes to Ashes.

'To be honest with you, I was always slightly surprised that people thought there was a genuine mystery. To me, it was very obvious – he got hit by a car, the doctors and nurses were speaking to him over the radio and through the television and he was in a coma...

'...we had to persuade the BBC that the main character of this hit show should commit suicide – they asked some questions about it. There was a certain reservation, initially, because, obviously, Sam has a big following.
'

The “false ending” where Sam jumps got a huge round of applause when the final episode was premiered at BAFTA in London last week.

'That amazed me, that people saw it as such a positive act... It’s not supposed to be a searing indictment on modern society, but more a comment on Sam. He was clearly a deeply repressed human being – I don’t think 2006 or 2007 brought out the best in Sam Tyler. '
sarkybarker
QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Apr 12 2007, 01:40 PM)
The writer's explanation, plus discussion of Ashes to Ashes.

'[i]To be honest with you, I was always slightly surprised that people thought there was a genuine mystery. To me, it was very obvious – he got hit by a car, the doctors and nurses were speaking to him over the radio and through the television and he was in a coma...

Yes. It never really seemed much of a mystery either and that's why i was worried about the conclusion. The twists are what made it a brilliant ending but he has pretty much put to an end to any mystery it had.

Don't like the sound of Ashes To Ashes. I hoped i'm proved wrong.
sarkybarker
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Apr 10 2007, 10:09 PM)
made me think the writers were telling us that 'it's just a tv show'.

100% spot-on.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Spider Dijon @ Apr 11 2007, 05:49 AM)
Ah maybe you're right, personally though If it were me and I wanted to put myself into a comba and I wouldn't make a habit of jumping off buildings to do it. Reality or not, I'd start on the ground.

Yes, but they had to have Sam leap off the roof, didn't they? It brings the show full circle because Annie stopped him jumping off the roof in the first episode.

QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Apr 11 2007, 06:11 AM)
That doesn't really explain the names he came up with for him, Annie and Gene in the swingers episode. Tony & Cherie Blair and Gordon Brown. If he was a 36 year old man living in 1973 he wouldn't know those names.
Wife Of Rolex

There are plenty of holes. Plenty. tongue.gif BUT, given the lovely, lyrical way in which they chose to wrap up the mystery, I'm willing to forgive them. I didn't find the ending depressing at all, but rather the opposite; we were never given quite enough time with Sam in 2006 to become attached to his life there or his loved ones in that plane, even Maya, I felt. Go back and watch Sam in the early stages of that first episode - not a happy man. If you take the entire series as a metaphor for discovering yourself and what really makes you happy, it's quite uplifting.

*sob* So sad to see it go, but it ended on a real high note for me. Right down to the shippery kiss and the return of Bowie.
Wife Of Rolex
Watching the repeat of episode 7 on BBC4 last night I picked up on a couple of things that had previously gone unnoticed - by me anyway.

In a dream Sam has, when Gene is hiding out at his flat, he answers the phone and hears Annie screaming for help. It was a soundclip from the tunnel scene in episode 8.

Frank Morgan says to Sam, 'We must double check. Tick all the boxes.' Then at the start of episode 8 we hear Frank Morgan, in his guise of surgeon, saying they thought Sam had a blood clot but they looked again and found it was a tumour. That must have been the double check he spoke of in episode 7.

If Gene represented the tumour then it fits that Frank Morgan finds it's benign. Not terribly nice but fairly harmless. That's Gene.

And I completely missed the whole thing of the Hyde exchange number being Sam's ward room number. I was obviously too awestruck by the rest of the episode to notice. wacko.gif

QUOTE (maian @ Apr 11 2007, 05:58 PM)
But if we take as writ the idea that he is from 1973, then he could imagine the future to be however he wanted, providing an infinite number of possibilities and he ended up with the one in the show. The fact that it is identical to our present is beside the point.

There still has to be logic, though, even in fantasy. He knows fully his present day surroundings and remembers them quite clearly as they're more recent and immeditate to him, but he is constantly remembering and working out his memories from childhood. This is why some things are instantly recognisable while others seem vague and almost alien. How much of your early childhood can you really remember compared to what you recoginise from yesterday? If you went back would you remember or recognise everything? Logic says he is from the present day and has only gone back to 1973 in his mind/heaven, rather than visa-versa.

The only occasion where Sam could actually be imagining the future is in the first episode of the second series where he meets up with Marc Warren's character, Tony Crane. Sam says he knows Tony from the future and sets about stopping him before he carries out his terrible crimes. However, at the end of the episode we learn that Tony is a psychiatric patient at the hospital Sam is staying in in 2006 who has wandered into Sam's room and played about with the medical equipment. Sam's sub-conscious could have picked up on Tony's presence, feeling he was in mortal danger, and invented a character for him in his mind/heaven. Had Tony really been the person Sam created in his mind/heaven then his going into psychiatric care in 1973 through Sam's actions would have meant history had been changed. That can't be done.

[/pedant_geek_nerd]

On a different note, check out Gene Hunt's new single...

Available on K-tel. Out Now.

Wife Of Rolex
PrincessKate
Ray and Chris spin the hits of 1973/76 on BBC Radio Manchester
(And humour some silly little girls).
Raven
Mars drama 'could spark bullying' .

Fer fuck sake . . . We have one politically incorrect character a decade and it's going to lead to moral decline across the country . . . rolleyes.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
I'd be interested to find out if Ms Keates has any kids of her own. Although I reckon she doesn't (most people of the "won't somebody think of the children" ilk don't), if she does, why does she think Life on Mars is suitable viewing for a child audience?

Something tells me Ms Keates just wanted to get her name on telly. Nonce.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 13 2007, 09:39 AM)
Mars drama 'could spark bullying' .

Fer fuck sake . . . We have one politically incorrect character a decade and it's going to lead to moral decline across the country . . .  rolleyes.gif

I read that last night. Funny, I don't recall them having such a problem with him last year. As if every TV show has to be morally responsible to the youth of the country. rolleyes.gif

Shut up, you fairy arsed nonces!

Wife Of Rolex
Starscream`s Ghost
I hate to think what'd happen if Ms Keates saw my current sig.

And seeing as I got Sean into Life on Mars, I'm a bad, bad man.
Jubei
What a load of nonsene. I had a look at the NASUWT website, and there was no mention of it. So this is a personal gripe then is it? Rather than something that is backed up by the Union which she is so prominently a member of in the nesw article. In fact the word Mars does not appear anywhere on their website.
Starscream`s Ghost
After having a think about this, I think it is a personal gripe.

In Tuesday's episode, there was police brutality, gunfights and suicide. And she decided to have a go at the fact that Gene called Sam a "fairy".

As Gene might say on the subject:

I might have to buy her a bag of chips, so that she can have matching shoulders.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Jubei @ Apr 12 2007, 12:58 PM)
QUOTE (BBC)
Whilst Sam Tyler will not feature, his presence will be felt as the new lead character - DCI Alex Drake - spent months studying Tyler's psychological evaluations after he emerged from his coma, where he detailed Hunt and his team.

Looks like Jimmay got it right off the bat, give that man a Jaffa Cake.

WOOT! I can't believe I actually figured something out first time. That hardly ever happens. Do you mind if I have a chocolate digestive instead as I'm not really a fan of jaffa cakes.
Stella MM
I'm not optimistic for Ashes to Ashes, I have to say. LOM was ten years in the making. This one's going to be slapped together quick sharp with a flimsy plot device to satisfy the nation's Gene cravings - they're going to have to work bloody hard to make it anywhere near as good.
Jubei
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Apr 13 2007, 01:30 PM)
I'm not optimistic for Ashes to Ashes, I have to say. LOM was ten years in the making. This one's going to be slapped together quick sharp with a flimsy plot device to satisfy the nation's Gene cravings - they're going to have to work bloody hard to make it anywhere near as good.

But the 10 years in the making has to take into account building the characters up from scratch, that has largely been done now, as well as trying to sell the show, apparently channel 4 turned them down more than once. Now those details are all ironed out, and apparently they started writing it a while ago.
Starscream`s Ghost
But weren't they thinking about it after the first series? So they've had a little while to think about it. Ok, not as long as 10 years, but you get my meaning. It won't just be a knee-jerk reaction to want Gene back on telly. If that makes sense.
thirtyhelens
To be honest, it's the continuation of the time travel device that has got me worried; I just don't see any reason for it. Send Annie and Sam off on their honeymoon or whatever, keep Chris and Ray, and they can introduce a female character directly into the mix without having to preface it with another "accident."

Leave the mysteries to each episode, make it a straight character piece. Whether or not it is the reality, or all taking place in Sam's head-slash-afterlife is irrelevant. The whole of St. Elsewhere took place in a fucking snow globe, for god's sake. laugh.gif
Raven
The thing is though, the "mystery" has now been resolved - Sam was in a coma, he woke up and then ended it all because he found life in his fictional/fantasy version of 1973 better than the hum-drum of his existence in 2006/7.

Sam's story has been told (and rather well too, I think!).

Ashes to Ashes is going to take characters from the original and put them in a new situation with a new foil. I strongly suspect there will be little continuity with Life on Mars because of the new set up, so - in effect - they will be starting over (just with characters that we already know).

It could completely bomb, but I think it could be good as well.
Wife Of Rolex
Dean Andrews - Ray - was on Loose Women earlier (I didn't know he was a cabaret singer for 20 years, doing the circuit with Jane McDonald before getting into acting. Who'd have thought?) and he said that he was going to be getting a tight curly perm for Ashes To Ashes.

Whether it'll be his own hair or a wig remains to be seen but...poor sod. laugh.gif

Wife Of Rolex
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Apr 17 2007, 02:21 PM)
Whether it'll be his own hair or a wig remains to be seen but...poor sod.  laugh.gif

I'm hearing ya. Pity the man who has to look like Kevin Keegan.
mcraigclark
I'd never seen any of this before today, and now I'm hooked.
Starscream`s Ghost
It is addictive.
Zoe
I've nearly finished series two and I haven't enjoyed it as much as the first one.

I am getting more and more annoyed with Sam and I'm worried the ending is going to be really stupid.

That said, it's still one of the better and certainly most original things on TV in the past few years.
mcraigclark
I'm only a few episodes into the first series, but I've already got high hopes for the rest of it. You're right about its originality. Really nice to have something different.
maian
QUOTE (Zoe @ May 13 2007, 11:38 PM)
That said, it's still one of the better and certainly most original things on TV in the past few years.

Any show that can take the central premise of Goodnight Sweetheart and make it into a genuinely engaging drama must be doing something right.
mcraigclark
It just hit me that John Simm is the switch-the-bags guy in the airport with Daisy in Spaced.
Starscream`s Ghost
Yup, Steven Edwards.

The little shit himself. biggrin.gif
maian
He didn't get paid for his appearance either since it would have been too expensive to pay him what he would usually get paid, hence why he doesn't have any lines.
mcraigclark
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ May 17 2007, 01:19 PM)
Yup, Steven Edwards.

Thank you. The name had escaped me.
Raven
Mars stars reunite for film caper.
maian
QUOTE (Raven @ May 17 2007, 07:08 PM)

Sounds like it'll alright.

Having looked on imdb, I find it quite funny that they've worked together loads, having been in State of Play and Clocking Off together as well. They just can't get away from each other.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.