Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Life On Mars/Ashes to Ashes
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Wife Of Rolex
Episodes 2&3 have featured very brief flashs of a POV shot of a boy (presumedly Sam Tyler as a child) in a buckled shoe, playing/chasing what looks like a blurry girl in a red hooded coat in a wooded place.

That alone would make them Don't Look Now references just for the film/TV buffs. But DLN was actually released in 1973...the year Life On Mars is set. Is that a coincidence or on purpose? Could Sam have witnessed an event when he was four years old that echos the film, which is why he's taken himself back to that year? Did he see the girl in the red coat drown? Could it be why he the girl from the test card talks to him? Is the girl in the red coat and the girl from the test card one and the same?

Anyone else noticed this?

Wife Of Rolex

Edited the sub-title of the thread to make it a generic dumping ground for posts on the show! Raven (24/01/07).
Baz
Can't say i've noticed, but then I've never seen Don't Look Now.

Great programme, although I did miss part of yesterdays episode. the test card girl scares me.
Reg
I got back from London too late to see it. Walked in just as the closing credits were rolling!

Is there anything I need to know for the running plot??
TheGimp
Interesting idea.

When I first glanced at this thread, for some reason I read it as 'Look Around You'...
smile.gif
Dodge
I did the very same thing... perceptions based upon forum specifics, I'll be pondering.

Reg, check out the BBC web site for it, um er.... Here:

Click me, you slaaaaaaag!

It's not particularly detailed, but it's enough.

Now, put your knickers on and make me a cup of tea.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Baz @ Jan 24 2006, 09:27 PM)
Can't say i've noticed, but then I've never seen Don't Look Now.

Then you won't have noticed the girl in a red coat in Spaced either?
Baz
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jan 25 2006, 10:17 AM)
Then you won't have noticed the girl in a red coat in Spaced either?

Well of course I noticed the girl in Spaced. I just didn't know it was a reference to Don't Look Now, having not seen it.
Withnail
"Stop.....you're surrounded by armed bastards!" laugh.gif

Loved it.
gulfcoast_highwayman
I loved that line.

It's a very good programme isn't it?

I was pleased when the little girl came out of the test card as it made me correct when I argued with my sister that it wasn't the original test card used in the first episode.
whitey
I hate John Simm. Don't know why exactly.
Withnail
Suprb series but I couldn't stop thinking of Monkfish from The Fast Show while watching it.

"Put yer knickers on and make me a cup of tea!" biggrin.gif

Liked the Party 7 touch as well.
Zoe
QUOTE (whitey @ Jan 25 2006, 01:08 PM)

He's a wee bit ratty.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (whitey @ Jan 25 2006, 01:08 PM)

Because he tried to get Daisy into trouble?
whitey
Probably Human Traffic. Yeah, that's why.
Sostie
Best bit so far...driving through a convenient pile of empty cardboard boxes.
Raven
QUOTE (TheGimp @ Jan 24 2006, 09:38 PM)
When I first glanced at this thread, for some reason I read it as 'Look Around You'...
smile.gif

Yep, me as well.

Very good series so far, I'm beginning to get worried that I'm looking forward to Monday evenings though . . .
TheGimp
I'm hoping to catch the repeat as I missed it on Monday.

Now, THAT would be funny (to me anyway). An episode of 'Look Around You' on the telly in the background.
Wife Of Rolex
After last night's episode I'm even more convinced now that there's a Don't Look Now style twist coming up. Woods. Girl in a red coat running around. The test card girl in a red dress. It's all very spooky.

Thought the episode was also quite racy for BBC1. They don't usually have jangling breasts and cocksucking before the news. Very refreshing.

Wife Of Rolex
Zoe
I've only seen half of one episode (tonight's); but I presumed the girl in the red coat was his present day girlfriend in 1973.
Wife Of Rolex
Mmm, maybe. Though, he's never mentioned knowing her since childhood. His present day girlfriend, Maya, is asian so if the little girl is too then it must be her. Only heard her laughing so far.

Wife Of Rolex
Zoe
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Jan 31 2006, 01:13 AM)
Mmm, maybe. Though, he's never mentioned knowing her since childhood. His present day girlfriend, Maya, is asian so if the little girl is too then it must be her. Only heard her laughing so far.

Wife Of Rolex

Well I'm wrong then, because we saw the little girl tonight and she was blonde.
Wife Of Rolex
Oh yeah! wacko.gif

Wife Of Rolex
Withnail
Most enjoyable episode so far last night. The soundtrack gets better and better too:

Jean Genie by Bowie
Wild Horses by The Rolling Stones
Silver Machine by Hawkwind
Blockbuster by Sweet
Gudbuy T Jane by Slade

cool.gif

and Lucozade with the orange cellophane wrapper! biggrin.gif
Zoe
QUOTE (Withnail @ Jan 31 2006, 03:21 PM)
Blockbuster by Sweet

Eurgh - even my parents were cringing at that one. The seventies wasn't all good music that's for sure.
Withnail
One quibble. That bloke in the club looked nothing like Marc Bolan (unless it was the "chunky" years), and why tell him to drive carefully? His girlfriend was driving the mini in the accident that killed him.
Wife Of Rolex
Maybe Sam telling him to drive carefully made Marc Bolan say on that fateful day, 'You know, guy in club in Manchester told me to drive carefully in Minis a few years ago. How about you drive?' Thus giving his girlfriend the keys and sitting in the passenger seat. Cause and effect.

Of course, if this is all in Sam's head then he never actually met Marc Bolan and so never gave him the advice in the first place, leaving the accident to happen as it did. Which means...

What's meant to happen will happen, regardless of what you do or don't do.

I think.

Wife Of Rolex
thirtyhelens
Just finished episode two.

Holy jumpin' Jehosephat, it's good. ohmy.gif
Raven
A telly in a pub? Who's gonna watch that?!

Classic!
thirtyhelens
I actually watched one more before bed last night. Hence the large coffee today. *yawwwwwn*

Awww, him from Early Doors was fantastic in Ep. 3. (Why can't i remember his name?) And we must get a soundtrack out of this. Or at the very least an easily accessible iPod playlist. wink.gif
Jessopjessopjessop
Made an effort to watch my first episode last night because you'd all be banging on about it. I really wasn't expecting it to be quite so tongue-in-cheek. I don't believe all police officers in 1973 were quite as crap as they make out, either. Apart from that, and the really naff opening sequence, it was quite entertaining. I was expecting a more 'Cracker' type mood, but the suggestions of strange things going on are very interesting - the best bits in fact.
Baz
It was good last night, one of the better ones I think. I got goosebumps when Sam saw his younger self near the end.
Ohio_is_for_lovers
I havent watched it all,i quite like what ive seen though.
Igmeister
It gets better and better. Last nights made me a little weepy though. But then I cry at most things.
thirtyhelens
Top notch. And also, Glenister was on FIRE this week, man. BAFTA! BAAAAFTA!!!
Reg
I have a feeling this is gonna be one bloody good episode. God I love this show!
Baz
QUOTE (Reg @ Feb 13 2006, 09:06 PM)
I have a feeling this is gonna be one bloody good episode.  God I love this show!

God Reg, why are you holding all those people prisoner.

wink.gif
Reg
hehehe That made me giggle!

I can honestly say it is for crimes against fashion tongue.gif
curtinparloe
If anyone's interested, that police woman (the one who told Sam about the hostage situation) is my lecturer for Monday classes. Today I pretended to be a business man with Tourrettes and an old man who imagines his wife...
Dodge
Monday, 9am, How To Chew A Bee.

rolleyes.gif
curtinparloe
Half a Bee, philosophically... biggrin.gif
Baz
tonights one was the best so far by a country mile and next weeks one looks fantastic and it's the last one of the series.
Jessopjessopjessop
I watched the second hald and very much enjoyed it. It's better when it's serious drama. I love the stuff with him trying to work out what's going on and the beeping. I will certainly try to see the final episode. But I have a prediction...

He won't wake up. He'll almost get there - perhaps even see the hospital room and his family around him - but he'll then will relapse and have an entire second series' worth of 70s adventures. Then maybe a third...and a fourth. This will continue until he has solved all the great crimes of the decade in a Sam Beckett way, and only then will he make the leap home...
Wife Of Rolex
Lee Ingleby is playing John Simm's dad (!!) in Life On Mars next Monday (27/2). Thought you'd like to know.

Wife Of Rolex
CazBag
That should be interesting! laugh.gif
Jessopjessopjessop
That's weird - they didn't show his face in the trailer.
Stella MM
I've merged WOR's Lee Ingleby in Life on Mars thread with this one as we probably don't need two threads.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Feb 21 2006, 12:52 PM)
I've merged WOR's Lee Ingleby in Life on Mars thread with this one as we probably don't need two threads.

But don't forget to merge it with the 'Lee Ingleby in Master and Commander' thread - a sub-thread of the 'Master and Commander' main thread, which in turn should be conjoined to the 'Platoon' thread, due to the use of Barber's Adagio for Strings, which needs to be slipped into the Classical Music thread.
Stella MM
yo jessop dog dont be dissing me mod'ratin' stylee ya dig dat?

Erm... I mean, that all sounds like far too much hard work, old boy. I think I'll leave it as it is.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Feb 21 2006, 01:20 PM)
I think I'll leave it as it is.

I should hope so, it was all a joke.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Feb 21 2006, 04:05 AM)
Lee Ingleby is playing John Simm's dad (!!) in Life On Mars next Monday (27/2).

I hope Gene and Sam can handle themselves in a finger-gun fight. Bet Gene can; Sam, who knows, tho he routed Ray nicely this week. Still, it's his dad... wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.