Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most obscure reference.
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > Spaced
Pages: 1, 2
Crutch
Watching Spaced with Homage-O-Meter made me get this really obscure reference to Desperado in Episode 1.4. I know desperado (but I allways prefer watching El Mariachie) but I wouldn't have get it in a thousand years.

So which reference (in Spaced or any other show/flim) do you think, is really obscure?
Verstan
not sure, but in episode one of series one when daisy begins the type the rota i thought they were homaging murder she wrote, but it was somehting else, which seemed obscure to me,
Crutch
QUOTE (Verstan @ Feb 12 2006, 03:33 PM)
not sure, but in episode one of series one when daisy begins the type the rota i thought they were homaging murder she wrote, but it was somehting else, which seemed obscure to me,

Me believes, Murder she wrote, was also in it.
Jumpin Jack Flash
Its got to be the gas leak thing with marsha and 'NO!!' or possibly 'bronsons got to pay hes got a toupee'. Yeah there you go.
Verstan
i thought so too crutch however it wasnt in the homage meter in the scen, but i could be wrong, proabably an excuse to watch spaced again i suppose smile.gif
Crutch
QUOTE (Verstan @ Feb 12 2006, 05:49 PM)
i thought so too crutch however it wasnt in the homage meter in the scen, but i could be wrong, proabably an excuse to watch spaced again i suppose  smile.gif

Fuck Homage-O-Meter! What does it know? Zipp, nothing, shite! It is so clear.
Verstan
lol, good point also, i put it on to affirm my MSW suspicon, but it dont seem right its too MSW for my liking
littlelabmouse
Colin getting abducted by "a crocodile or something" as a homage to Scully's dog Queegqueg getting eaten by a crocodile in The X-Files.

I know it's an obvious choice, what with it being mentioned on the commentary, but that's still really, really obscure. Damn funny though.

Bronson's got toupee. Heheh.
Jumpin Jack Flash
Its not so much obscure buts its hard to spot, in the clubbing episode the first shot panning away from Brian in the 80's is a reference to clockwork oranges first shot panning away from Malcom Mcdowell.
Crutch
QUOTE (Jumpin Jack Flash @ Feb 12 2006, 07:00 PM)
Its not so much obscure buts its hard to spot, in the clubbing episode the first shot panning away from Brian in the 80's is a reference to clockwork oranges first shot panning away from Malcom Mcdowell.

Yeah and I am so proud, that I got this at first watch.
Jumpin Jack Flash
Me too!!! arnt we good.
Crutch
Yes, we are. happy.gif
maian
QUOTE (Crutch @ Feb 12 2006, 02:48 PM)
Me believes, Murder she wrote, was also in it.

QUOTE (Crutch @ Feb 12 2006, 04:52 PM)
Fuck Homage-O-Meter! What does it know? Zipp, nothing, shite! It is so clear.

QUOTE (Verstan @ Feb 12 2006, 05:01 PM)
lol, good point also, i put it on to affirm my MSW suspicon, but it dont seem right its too MSW for my liking

It's actually a reference to Shine, or The Piano , isn't it?

Obscurity is all relative, but the ones that I always thought were impressively obscure were the ones in Season 2, Ep. 4, when the names of the artists that Sophie says are all variations on real-life comic book artists' names.
theevilresident101
QUOTE (maian @ Feb 13 2006, 08:18 AM)
Obscurity is all relative, but the ones that I always thought were impressively obscure were the ones in Season 2, Ep. 4, when the names of the artists that Sophie says are all variations on real-life comic book artists' names.

Yeah, and the name of the comic book shops
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (maian @ Feb 12 2006, 11:18 PM)
It's actually a reference to Shine, or The Piano , isn't it?

There is a reference to both Murder She Wrote and Shine in the show.

My favourite obscure reference is to the new Thompsons Local advert that appears in the paintball episode.
stinketta
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Feb 13 2006, 12:24 PM)
My favourite obscure reference is to the new Thompsons Local advert that appears in the paintball episode.

Ho ho ho!
Henry Krinkle
Someone had to say, I'm just ashamed it was me.
Leia
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ Feb 13 2006, 01:27 PM)
Someone had to say, I'm just ashamed it was me.

Again, of course there's the 2001 reference with the freezer.
I'm in agreement with MSW. It's the theme music.
Tommy The Beer Drinker
not sure, but in episode one of series one when daisy begins the type the rota i thought they were homaging murder she wrote, but it was somehting else, which seemed obscure to me

That whole thing is a homage to Misery when Paul Sheldon has to sit and type a new book with Liberace playing in the background.

I think the most obscure homage IMO is the one with Tim making that mound thing with his mashed potato, i still don't get what thats from.
curtinparloe
QUOTE (Tommy The Beer Drinker @ Feb 17 2006, 02:33 PM)
I think the most obscure homage IMO is the one with Tim making that mound thing with his mashed potato, i still don't get what thats from.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Richard Dreyfuss did it before he went all alien-loony.
Matthew
Most obscure reference has to be in Series 1 Episode 6 when Brian wakes up and his clock shows 11:21. Apparently this time is always shown on The X Files because it's the birthday of the wife of Chris Carter.
Tommy The Beer Drinker
Another one I don't get was when Tim says he wanted to grow up to be Monkey. Who's that?
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Tommy The Beer Drinker @ Feb 21 2006, 02:29 PM)
Another one I don't get was when Tim says he wanted to grow up to be Monkey. Who's that?

Monkey!
Matt Curran
havent bothered to look through the rest of the posts so this has probably already been mentioned but the desperado referance is when mike goes "lets play" and actually says "lets Blay" like antonio bandaras does when him and his other two "band members" are about to have a showdown with the other gang hope this helped
Matt Curran
the referance to x-files "11:21" is because wheneva simon pegg and edgar wright watched x-files and they showed a clock it always showed 11:21 on it. and aparently the writer of x-files had some dodgey reason for doing it but i cant seem to rember y...
Verstan
i dunno if you could class this as an obscure reference. but i was watching rambo: first blood the other day and the scence withe the soldiers and the rocket launcher one of the soldiers ( who ahppen to be fromt he american version of the TA) looks an waful lot like mike,

i'll try and find a picture
DazDaMan
QUOTE (Tommy The Beer Drinker @ Feb 17 2006, 03:33 PM)
That whole thing is a homage to Misery when Paul Sheldon has to sit and type a new book with Liberace playing in the background.

Yep - I can't recall which episode it's in off the top of my head, but it's the montage set to a piano concerto (the name of which I forget now, even though I have it on CD somewhere).

AHA!! Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No1 in B Flat Major! happy.gif
Madstunts
When I watched the series I thought I'd spotted a reference, but it isn't mentioned in the Homage-O-Meter

I can't remember the episode, but there's a shot which pans around Tim playing video games and in the background are Daisy and Brian doing stuff, but really speeded up.

There's an identical shot in the movie Hackers, with Jonny Lee Miller in the foreground hacking on a computer with several characters in the background, really speeded up.

I'm convinced this actually happened, but I'm having trouble finding the episode in question. Any ideas?
2pintz
My favourite one (which i beleive is a homage) is in the episode where they have to get Tim's picture back, the Sign for Floor 4 spins back, ala Thunderbirds.

Man Im sure there are other ones in the series that none of us would ever get!

2pintz
widowspider
QUOTE (Madstunts @ Sep 16 2006, 11:59 PM)
When I watched the series I thought I'd spotted a reference, but it isn't mentioned in the Homage-O-Meter

I can't remember the episode, but there's a shot which pans around Tim playing video games and in the background are Daisy and Brian doing stuff, but really speeded up.

There's an identical shot in the movie Hackers, with Jonny Lee Miller in the foreground hacking on a computer with several characters in the background, really speeded up.

I'm convinced this actually happened, but I'm having trouble finding the episode in question. Any ideas?

It's in series 2, episode 5 (i think) 'Gone'.
Crutch
QUOTE (Madstunts @ Sep 17 2006, 12:59 AM)

If I'd be qouting "Hackers" I wouldn't put it on the homage-o-meter either. Whoa there... Hackers!
Madstunts
QUOTE (Crutch @ Sep 17 2006, 08:04 PM)
If I'd be qouting "Hackers" I wouldn't put it on the homage-o-meter either. Whoa there... Hackers!

Well, when I saw Hackers in the cinema I thought it was dreadful, but since then, it's grown on me.

...a bit like athlete's foot.
smile.gif
Crutch
Angelina Jolie is taking her shirt off, right? This thing in the pool right? The movie made some impression on me too.
Jon 79
QUOTE (Crutch @ Sep 17 2006, 09:04 PM)

But they didn't mind referencing Waterworld in Mettle. Hackers is a far superior film.

I thought the Bottle Rocket style boiler suits were quite an obscure reference back in 2001. ... but only cos I'd never heard of the film. (though I had Rushmore & Royal Tenenbaums)
R3Dl2ULZ
I love Bottle Rocket. not particularly funny. actually i dont know why i even like it. but i do
Gussleeven
QUOTE (Crutch @ Sep 17 2006, 04:04 PM)

Maybe you'll feel better if I suggest that it was referencing The Ballad of Cable Hogue.
Omniscia
QUOTE (Matthew @ Feb 20 2006, 04:14 PM)
Most obscure reference has to be in Series 1 Episode 6 when Brian wakes up and his clock shows 11:21. Apparently this time is always shown on The X Files because it's the birthday of the wife of Chris Carter.

QUOTE (Matt Curran @ Mar 1 2006, 05:56 PM)
the referance to x-files "11:21" is because wheneva simon pegg and edgar wright watched x-files and they showed a clock it always showed 11:21 on it. and aparently the writer of x-files had some dodgey reason for doing it but i cant seem to rember y...

All right, so it's more than half a year past due, but I'm afraid I must insist on pointing out that the time displayed frequently in The X-Files is 10:13, not 11:21.
canadave
Sorry to dredge up a somewhat old topic, but I just wanted to share a Spaced reference I just figured out--and it's somewhat ironic that I'd find out the meaning of the reference on this particular day (you'll see why once I explain).

I was watching The Simpsons the other evening, and it was the episode called "Grampa vs. Sexual Inadequacy," where the adults of Springfield find their sex lives dramatically improved by a tonic invented by Homer's dad. As adults start to disappear into their bedrooms in the middle of the day, the kids of Springfield can't figure out what's going on. A number of them have a meeting in Bart's treehouse one day to discuss what could possibly be happening to the adults. During the meeting, Bart says: "We're through the looking glass here, people."

It suddenly struck me that I'd heard that phrase somewhere before. Spaced fans will of course remember that Tim says that exact phrase during the meeting they have to retrieve Colin from the vivisectionist!

OK, so what's going on here? I wondered. Is Spaced homaging The Simpsons? Is The Simpsons homaging Spaced?

Actually, they're both homaging Oliver Stone's movie, "JFK." In that film, New Orleans District Attorney Garrison (played by Kevin Costner) has a meeting with his assistant district attorneys, and says: "We're through the looking glass here, people. Where white is black and black is white." And that's where the line comes from!

Now, how spooky is it that I just figured out that reference, by accident and after a little investigation with Google, on November 22...the anniversary of JFK's assassination??? wacko.gif

--Dave
Crutch
^I think, that JFK is referring to the Alice in Wonderland sequel "Through the looking Glas" and is like saying "We're not in Kansas anymore, Colin."

But I like your paranoia. wink.gif
canadave
Well, yes, of course....the phrase "through the looking glass" is a reference to the Alice in Wonderland sequel, obviously rolleyes.gif

But that specific usage of it, in "Spaced" and "The Simpsons": "We're through the looking glass here, people"--word for word--is from the movie.
dolfyn
Wow, that is spooky. I love it when things just fall into line in an uncanny way like that. happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif
m0r1arty
Isn't it in the Matrix as well?

Or something very much like it....

Gimme a tick whilst I IMDB....

Well The SImpsons episode first aired in 1994 (in the US) so by the time it got shown here it might have been prime for Spaced to pay hommage to.

But I think it's just a phrase that people use in movies when they're up against a real problem (etym - Alice in Wonderland 2)

-m0r
canadave
QUOTE (m0r1arty @ Nov 24 2006, 06:40 AM)
But I think it's just a phrase that people use in movies when they're up against a real problem (etym - Alice in Wonderland 2)

-m0r

I refer the honourable gentleman to the reply I gave some moments ago tongue.gif

Not to belabor the point...but the usage, in The Simpsons and in Spaced, is very specific--not just in the wording, but in the situational parallels to the scene in JFK. Any contemporary reference to "through the looking glass" in general, is, yes, ultimately attributable to Lewis Carroll. But the *specific wording* and the similarity of the scenes involved makes it quite clear that the reference in Spaced and The Simpsons is to JFK.

At least, that's my opinion, and in true ex-New Yorker fashion, I'll stick to it smile.gif
m0r1arty
Fair do's.

It was Millhouse that says it though! tongue.gif

-m0r
canadave
QUOTE (m0r1arty @ Nov 24 2006, 01:05 PM)
Fair do's.

It was Millhouse that says it though! tongue.gif

-m0r

Really?? I could've sworn it was Bart! smile.gif But I'll yield that point, it's quite possible I remembered that wrong.
maian
It is Milhouse who says it. He says it after describing their ludicrous explanation for why all the parents are going to bed early. To further give proof that it is Milhouse, whilst he's describing it, he says ''in league with the saucer people'', to which Bart replies ''Thank you'', since that was his theory concerning the situation.
Crutch
QUOTE (canadave @ Nov 24 2006, 06:57 PM)
I refer the honourable gentleman to the reply I gave some moments ago  tongue.gif
Not to belabor the point...but the usage, in The Simpsons and in Spaced, is very specific--not just in the wording, but in the situational parallels to the scene in JFK.  Any contemporary reference to "through the looking glass" in general, is, yes, ultimately attributable to Lewis Carroll.  But the *specific wording* and the similarity of the scenes involved makes it quite clear that the reference in Spaced and The Simpsons is to JFK.

At least, that's my opinion, and in true ex-New Yorker fashion, I'll stick to it smile.gif

Could Llama please urge Edgar to join the board and update it daily to avoid those arguemnts!? (Not that I'd be offended by them in any way, it would just be nice to be part of Ed's daily internet routine.)
RezSav
I don't know if you can call this a reference, but the first gun you get in the Resident Evil franchise is a Beretta. Could be the reason for Tim's love of the gun in episode 2 of season 1 :\
kjt1981
i wondered if anyone knew for sure whether the title for episode 1, series 1 "beginnings" is at all an homage to series 1, episode 1 of Fraggle Rock, also called "beginnings"?

sorry if this has already been spotted...
Jon 79
QUOTE (kjt1981 @ Feb 4 2007, 12:54 AM)
i wondered if anyone knew for sure whether the title for episode 1, series 1 "beginnings" is at all an homage to series 1, episode 1 of Fraggle Rock, also called "beginnings"?

sorry if this has already been spotted...

Almost certainly it is.
& I know for a fact, the episode Help is based solely around the lyrics to the beatles song of the same name.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.