Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metal
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Music
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Minsc
Who are your favorite artists/favorite albums from the Metal genre?

Mine will all be in "Power (Flower) Metal"

Albums:
Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera

DragonForce - Sonic Firestorm

Elvenking - Heathenreel/Wyrd

Artists which I have, but havn't listened to enough to know which is my favoryte album

Avantasia
Demons & Wizards
Edguy
Luca Turilli
Rhapsody (Ohhh yeah, thats right, I love their "gayness")

& I like a few bands my friends have made, Rake Sodomy (Heavy/Death) Pillager (Heavy/Black) & Animent (Progressive / Psychedelic / Rock)

http://www.myspace.com/animent

http://www.myspace.com/rakesodomy

http://www.myspace.com/pillagerband
Jumpin Jack Flash
Wasnt a night at th opera done by queen? im pretty sure they arnt metal. biggrin.gif
Baz
Dragonforce make me laugh.

Err probably Pantera, Machine Head, Metallica, Most Precious Blood etc and not forgetting the mighty Violation (local band) and Gutowrm, another local band.

there are loads of metal bands I like.
NiteFall
Some favourites include
Pantera- Vulgar Display Of Power, Cowboys From Hell
Metallica- Metallica, Ride The Lightning
Fear Factory- Demanufacture
Sepultura- Roots, Chaos A.D.
PitchShifter-PSI, www.pitchshifter.com

And a load of other stuff too.
DOD-MDK
QUOTE (Jumpin Jack Flash @ Mar 11 2006, 06:58 PM)
Wasnt a night at th opera done by queen? im pretty sure they arnt metal.  biggrin.gif

It was also a Blind Guardian album
but my favorite bands jump all around the genre
Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, In Flames, Machine Head, Black Label Society, Carcass, Dimmu Borgir, Soilwork, Dream Theater, Morbid Angel, Arch Enemy, Iced Earth (If you are into Demons And Wizards, this is Jon Schaeffer's main band)Nevermore, Queensryche, Tool, Fear Factory, Slayer, Judas Priest and whatever else is catching my eardrums. I try to catch as many shows as possible and I am lucky that Raleigh has a good metal scene.
SuperSaiyanStoner
Mmmm, metal. Good topic! (and chance for a shamless plug of my internet radio show!) I am a huge fan of that which is called doom! And stoner rock too, but you could argue all day as to whether bands were stoner metal or stoner rock, But its all metal to me! Seriously though, doom is heavy stuff! And not heavy in the sense of thrashing drums and screaming vocals. Heavy in the sense of very downtuned guitars, stupendously down tempo music and you find in quite a few doom bands, a heavy psycadelic element! And you usualy find the solos in doom to be quite effective with the slow paced music. Alltogether it just crushes you! Its slow, sludgy, bassy and fucking wicked! So anyway, some of my fave bands and some ones to check out if what ive just said interested you in any way!

Electric wizard (the absolute kings!)
Cathedral (ex napalm death singer lee dorian in a much much different band! Legends in the genre though!)
Sleep (amazing band, they have a 1 track album lasting 54 mins which blows you away! Theres a solo about ever 10 mins! And they have also released an album which was hearelded as 'the album black sabbath never made!')
Grand magus (their older stuff was doomier, there newer stuff taking more of a lean to stoner metal, but still equaly as amazing!)
Black sabbath (duhhhhh)

And some more stoner rock/metal influenced bands:
Orange goblin (they still do some doomy stuff but most of it is more upbeat and groove laiden!)
The mighty nimbus (bassy bassy sound, killer riffs and solos, super groove!)

Oh, and did I mention that I do an internet radio show playing stoner rock, metal and doom, I diddnt? Well, you better check this out then:

The Hotbox

So you can get an insight without having to buy any cd's!!!
Omniscia
That depends on how you define "metal"... If we go back to more classic examples, than, for my money, you can't beat early Sabbath, or Deep Purple (not to mention Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow). But some people won't accept Purple as metal...

If we look more recently, my stereo/car/iPod can often be found filling my day with tunes by such artists as Nightwish, Dream Theater, and Symphony X. Occasionally, when I'm in a bombastic mood, Rhapsody will sneak in (especially Power of the Dragonflame), and there is nothing wrong with a little Queensryche.

However, if I were asked to name which metal band I find to be the most innovative, challenging, and truly progressive (in terms of musical variety and lyrical skill), I would have to nod in the direction of Pain of Salvation.
curtinparloe
I'm into old-school metal, as that's what I grew up listening to:

Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Metallica.

My girlfriend is more into metal than me, and she likes a lot of the newer ones - American Head Sharge, Trivium, that kind of thing.
I'm really into System of a Down at the moment - "The Gilbert and Sullivan of metal" laugh.gif

Gilbert and Sullivan are quite good to, but operetta doesn't really count as metal...
NiteFall
QUOTE (SuperSaiyanStoner @ Mar 12 2006, 03:16 AM)
Electric wizard (the absolute kings!)

My brother used to share a flat with Justin from Electric Wizard fact fans. Good bloke, albeit a tad on the strange side.
Sostie
AC/DC - Back In Black.....there never has and never will be a better metal album.

There are always great metal singles (as there are Pop, Rap, Techno etc) but very few great albums, at least in recent years, I would call great.

Can't take all this death/black metal stuff seriously. Sounds like industrial...but not as good. Funnily enough when I looked at this thread for the first time last night Cradle Of Filth came on MTV2....one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time
Nonus Aequilibrium
The vast majority of music I own is metal, be it heavy, death, black, doom, power, even some that mixes metal and opera (Tristania, Nightwish, etc).

Absolute favourites would have to be Opeth, Emperor (pretty much the definition of black metal), Tool, Iron Maiden, In Flames and Cradle of Filth.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Mar 12 2006, 06:20 AM)
However, if I were asked to name which metal band I find to be the most innovative, challenging, and truly progressive (in terms of musical variety and lyrical skill), I would have to nod in the direction of Pain of Salvation.

I don't think I've ever heard anything by them, I shall investigate.
luvmusic
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 12 2006, 01:59 PM)
AC/DC - Back In Black.....there never has and never will be a better metal album.

There are those that would argue that AC/DC are not metal, but blues based rock. I have a friend who adores AC/DC, Sabbath, Led Zeppelin etc., and he hates being called a metaller.

Some of these Scandanavian death metal bands seem to have links with the far right, and I've read that Pantera do as well, or there singer at least.
feck off!
QUOTE (luvmusic @ Mar 12 2006, 06:04 PM)
There are those that would argue that

Some of these Scandanavian death metal bands seem to have links with the far right, and I've read that Pantera do as well, or there singer at least.

In my experience a lot of bands right on the fringes of musical genres have extreme political ideological values. In the Oi punk scene you have bands like Skrewdriver with disgustingly racist, homophobic lyrics and beliefs. The worst part is that other bands in the same genre often then get tarred with the same brush. (E.g., The Exploited)
Nonus Aequilibrium
As musically brilliant as Emperor were, their original drummer is in prison for murder and their guitarist Samoth did time for arson (burned down a church). Varg Vikernes (Burzum) is currently in prison for murder (although he claims it was self defence) and spends a lot of time writing about the evils of christianity (he kind of has a point, christians did burn down pagan temples in Norway, so as a pagan why is it any worse if he burns down churches?).
Sostie
QUOTE (luvmusic @ Mar 12 2006, 06:04 PM)
There are those that would argue that AC/DC are not metal, but blues based rock.  I have a friend who adores AC/DC, Sabbath, Led Zeppelin etc., and he hates being called a metaller.

If it was defined it would be easier. It's too general a term - like Dance Music - to say what is or isn't Metal.

Rock, Blues Rock, Heavy Rock, Heavy Metal, Metal...whatever it is called its still a great album.

Can anyone explain the difference between

Power Metal
Black Metal
Death Metal
Glam Metal
Doom Metal
Folk Metal
Heavy Metal
Thrash Metal?

Not examples of bands, but how are they different.
SuperSaiyanStoner
read my earlier post for a brief description on doom!

And nitefall; Im guessing that justin oborn? (they got a new drummer called justin greaves, but hes american so im making the educated guess you mean oborn!) But man, thats pretty damn cool! He looks like he might be a little odd! Any examples?!
DOD-MDK
Power Metal: These guys are pretty much the Maiden Clones. Melodic Vocals, Melodic Music. Bands like Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Symphony X and so on.

Black Metal: Screechy Vocals, Blast Beats, and Corpse Paint are in order for these guys. songs usually have a Satanic element to them. Emperor, Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir, Fans of this genre are pretty vocal about it and are probibly the most closed minded of metal heads (you are a sellout if you sell more that 10 copies of your latest disc)

Death Metal: A genre pretty much started with 2 bands, Celtic Frost and Death. Guttural Vocals (think Cookie Monster), Downtuned Guitars, Not a lot of melody. But then you have Gothenburg, Sweden. Very Melodic with the gutteral vocals.

Glam Metal: This is not metal, I dont care what anyone says. Hair Bands is what these are.

Doom Metal: Stoner Stuff, Slow Death Metal. lyical content devoted to the Pycadelics

Folk Metal: ? never heard of anthing like this. Bob Dylan decieded to play a Jackson Randy Rhoads V in a Mesa Boogie amp?

Heavy Metal: See all others

Thrash Metal: Motorhead decied that Metal and old school punk needed to be combined and Thrash was born. A genre made popular in 83 when Metallica released "Kill Em All". The San Franscico bay area, Phoenix Arizona, New York, and Germany were hotbeds of Thrash and it gave birth to some of the greatest bands ever. It is currently enjoying a resurgance due to the success of bands like Shadows Fall, Lamb Of God, and Killswitch Engage.

I hope this helps
ronlogan1977
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Mar 12 2006, 07:50 PM)
As musically brilliant as Emperor were, their original drummer is in prison for murder and their guitarist Samoth did time for arson (burned down a church). Varg Vikernes (Burzum) is currently in prison for murder (although he claims it was self defence) and spends a lot of time writing about the evils of christianity (he kind of has a point, christians did burn down pagan temples in Norway, so as a pagan why is it any worse if he burns down churches?).

Yeah, but that Varg Vikernes is also a totally racist cunt. I read an interview with him in the NME once where he was banging on about how much he hated Jews.
Rob Darkens also on my shitlist.
Sostie
QUOTE (DOD-MDK @ Mar 12 2006, 09:10 PM)
I hope this helps

Thanks a lot. I think I now understand how some categories work..but it also muddies the waters a little for me.....where do bands like Ministry, G'n'R, Faith No More, Napalm Death fit in..or they other areas.
NiteFall
Faith No More fit in a catagory all their own marked "Faith No More- Go on, try to be like them. And fail. Fail because they're totally awesome and you'll never be as good or as crazy. Now go home. Metal".
Minsc
Folk Metal: Is metal, but has violins and flutes and stuff in it, e.g. = Elvenking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heavy_metal_genres

"Folk metal embraces metal bands that are influenced by folklore from varying cultures and origins. Originally started as a mixture of folk rock, power metal and black metal, the term has progressed to encompass many folk-themed metal bands, that use folk based lyrical themes andmposition, including instrumentation."

Sample of "Elvenking - Jigsaw Puzzle" from their website, it's a folk/power metal song
Here

Full version of the song:
Here

Other songs by them:
http://www.elvenking.net/media.php
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 13 2006, 01:48 AM)
Thanks a lot.  I think I now understand how some categories work..but it also muddies the waters a little for me.....where do bands like Ministry, G'n'R, Faith No More, Napalm Death fit in..or they other areas.

The waters generally are a bit muddy. There's not really a clearly defined line where one style ends and another begins. If as a band you're thinking too much about which genre you're in then perhaps you're confining creativity too much. Slayer come across as a bit death, black, and thrash. Opeth are a bit of death metal, progressive rock, with the occasional bits of folky acoustic guitars in there. Look at Opeth and Bloodbath. Mike Akerfeldt and Peter Lindgren are in both bands, and they're both death metal, but yet vastly different (Bloodbath is actually the result of members of Opeth, Katatonia and Edge of Sanity messing around in the studio when they had some time off, basically trying to rip off the likes of Morbid Angel).

It's hard to see where Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir fit in also. While more or less black metal, the purist black metal fans as DOD-MDK mentions are pretty snobbish and closed minded and don't usually acknowledge them. CoF aren't really all that extreme when you compare them to the likes of Dark Funeral and Emperor. Songs like Thorns On My Grave by Emperor are so ferociously brutal it takes a few listens to hear all the elements that make up the song without having to peel your face off the wall.
Svein
Nout wrong with hair metal...
Sostie
QUOTE (Minsc @ Mar 13 2006, 05:30 AM)
Folk Metal: Is metal, but has violins and flutes and stuff in it, e.g. = Elvenking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heavy_metal_genres

"Folk metal embraces metal bands that are influenced by folklore from varying cultures and origins. Originally started as a mixture of folk rock, power metal and black metal, the term has progressed to encompass many folk-themed metal bands, that use folk based lyrical themes andmposition, including instrumentation."
Sample of "Elvenking - Jigsaw Puzzle" from their website, it's a folk/power metal song
Here

Full version of the song:
Here
Other songs by them:
http://www.elvenking.net/media.php

That was, well....let's say it isn't an area I will be exploring further. Brought a smile to my face though. Sounded like a radio picking up two different stations at once!
Minsc
it sounds good together tho smile.gif
DOD-MDK
Ministry are Industrial. They pretty much invented it, Heavy Guitars mixed with samples and drum machines.

GnR are just a good solid hard rock band.

Napalm Death: Death Metal/Grindcore.

Faith No More: Nitefall pretty much nailed it on the head.

I dont know about you guys but I really hate these sub-genre catagorization of Metal. Cant it just be Metal?
DOD-MDK
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Mar 12 2006, 02:50 PM)
Its not emperor.
I thought the band in question was Mayhem?
Jinx
QUOTE (DOD-MDK @ Mar 14 2006, 01:09 AM)
Ministry are Industrial. They pretty much invented it, Heavy Guitars mixed with samples and drum machines.

Depends what 'industrial' you're talking about.

I'd say Throbbing Gristle, Einstürzende Neubauten and Swans got there first, and Ministry's last Industrial album was probably The Land Of Rape And Honey - they then became a metal band that used tape loops, samples and effects.
Sostie
QUOTE (Jinx @ Mar 14 2006, 12:46 PM)
Depends what 'industrial' you're talking about.

I'd say Throbbing Gristle, Einstürzende Neubauten and Swans got there first, and Ministry's last Industrial album was probably The Land Of Rape And Honey - they then became a metal band that used tape loops, samples and effects.

That's what always confused me about that description Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle etc are all very different to Ministry, but they seemed to be accepted as "Insdustrial". Add to that Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy, Young Gods, Front Line Assembly and its another "muddied" genre.
maian
Can anyone explain to me why Queens of the Stone AGe are classified as 'Metal' in most record shops? Fair enough they have a 'heavy' sound compared to a lot of mainstream acts but they have much more of a pop sensibility than a lot of acts that I would consider to be metal. Their first album is very much stoner stuff but their 2nd, 3rd and 4th albums are not what many people would describe as 'Metal'.

Same for Rage Against The Machine, except they weren't pop but they definitely seemed less like a metal group than many others.
Jinx
QUOTE (maian @ Mar 14 2006, 02:18 PM)
Can anyone explain to me why Queens of the Stone AGe are classified as 'Metal' in most record shops? Fair enough they have a 'heavy' sound compared to a lot of mainstream acts but they have much more of a pop sensibility than a lot of acts that I would consider to be metal. Their first album is very much stoner stuff but their 2nd, 3rd and 4th albums are not what many people would describe as 'Metal'.

Same for Rage Against The Machine, except they weren't pop but they definitely seemed less like a metal group than many others.

Because most stores classify 'metal' as 'any music loud enough to frighten people who like R&B that hasn't been hailed as era-defining by Q, NME et al (ie Nirvana)'?
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (DOD-MDK @ Mar 14 2006, 12:25 AM)
Its not emperor.
I thought the band in question was Mayhem?

According to Launchcast's Bio of Emperor:

New bassist Tchort signed on for Emperor's full-length debut, In the Nightside Eclipse, which earned critical praise and an international cult following upon its release in 1994. However, around the same time, Samoth was convicted of arson after burning down a historical wooden church; Tchort was sentenced for burglary, knife assault, and desecration; and Faust was locked up for arson, burglary, and murder, stabbing a homosexual acquaintance 14 times outside the Olympic Park in Lillehammer after the man made a pass at him.

Nasty chaps really. Still, nearly all the talent in Emperor was Ihsahn and Trym, in my opinion (Ihsahn pretty much made the entire of Prometheus by himself except for the drums), and as far as I'm aware, they had nothing to do with any naughty behaviour.
SuperSaiyanStoner

'Tis true, but then again you dont exactly see a special doom section for cathedral either!
DOD-MDK
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Mar 14 2006, 01:36 PM)
According to Launchcast's Bio of Emperor:
Nasty chaps really. Still, nearly all the talent in Emperor was Ihsahn and Trym, in my opinion (Ihsahn pretty much made the entire of Prometheus by himself except for the drums), and as far as I'm aware, they had nothing to do with any naughty behaviour.

Well Then both those bands are a bit......screwy. God I love being a metal head!
ronlogan1977
Here`s a review that some lucky bastard wrote about an Opeth gig he went to on Wednesday.

With the lone, notable exception of NoMeansNo, Opeth is the greatest band that ever was or ever will be. Live, they take it up a notch. Parts that were interesting and relaxing on iPod are suddenly devastatingly heavy and all-consuming. They're like Led Zepplin in that regard -- live shit outclassing tremendously classy recorded shit -- except Opeth doesn't look like a bunch of swish, anorexic gypsies. Tonight, the fourteenth of March in the two-thousand and six, I was lucky enough to catch the Los Angeles appearance of the band's Chronology 1995-2005. Happening only in New York, Chicago and LA (take that you San Fran wannabes), Opeth aims to play cuts off of all eight of their records in chronological order. Seriously, they actually fucking thought this up and then pulled it off. How was it? Keep reading.

OK, so Opeth set out to do what for fans is honestly the coolest fucking thing a band could possibly do. I mean, three straight hours (no opening bands!) of music spanning their entire career. I think the show sold out before some of the younger kids in the audience were born. But... the whole setup was ridiculous. First of all, it was at the Wiltern. While beautiful and historic and all that, I'd rather sit in my car then get felt up by some security asshole, charged $7 for twelve ounces of beer and have to pay $10 to simply park. Second, we were fifty yards away from the stage and my ticket cost $28.50. I'm sorry, my ticket cost $38.30, as Ticket Master was kind enough to tack on a $9.80 "convenience fee." How these fuckers (T. Master) aren't rotting in federal prison for racketeering is beyond the realm of satisfactory answers. And I bought two tickets... Anyhow, we were hella far away from the stage, dude.

Furthermore, Opeth is ridiculous. Five thirty-year-old Swedish guys with hair down to their elbows singing songs about Demons, Hounds and Lepers. Mikael and Peter look like they are co-staring in the next Johnny Depp pirate movie. Cousin It is still on bass. Shockingly, Aeon, appears to be playing keyboards and the replacement drummer for the great Martin Lopez calls himself "Devastator." Yes, Mike made the blowjob face every time he soloed. Yes, his odd brand of black metal Borsht-belt humor was ever present between songs (take my drummer, please!) And yes, he did tell us that he would make devil signs whenever we the audience "pleased" him. And the crowd... My best friend and I were surrounded by 3,500 goofy-haired, acne-tragedies that have never taken their shirts off outdoors. To misquote an old Schultz song:

I do so much meth
Elmer's glue on my breath
Looking up Lita Ford's dress
Is my El Camino jacked up? Yes.
My fingerless gloves are mesh
AC/DC patch on my denim vest
I'm so hesh, fuck a John Tesh -- etc.

It was, in a word, grim. Then the band started playing...

I don't have a spiritual bone in my body. Come holiday time I only get horny. If something odd or serendipitous happens, I turn to science. A black cat crosses my path? I speed up. But fuck all that in the ear because tonight's set was straight up magic. I forget the names of the first three songs and I suppose I could look them up, but pay no mind. They were off Orchid, Morning Rise and My Arms, Your Hearse, respectively. I think I was just so excited to actually be in Opeth's presence that my mind slipped. Litereally, mind-blowing. Then they got to what I still consider the band's high-water mark, Still Life. True, they did not play "The Moor" nor "Melinda," but they did play "White Cluster" and holy shit, holy shit, holy fucking shit!!! So good... you people have no idea what you missed.

Then came "The Leper Affinity" from Blackwater Park. I almost impaled myself on my own erection. Hot fucking digity! Beautiful, simply beautiful.

You know what comes next, right? Blackwater Park was their fifth album, so therefore Deliverance, with the almighty title track, uh, "Deliverance" would be next. Wrong! Opeth pulled a fast one and played "A Fair Judgment," which, incidentally, sounded fifteen times better than on the record. Fucking incredible. They stop and Mike starts explaining to us how Burt Reynolds inspired him to not only write the album, but to grow the moustache. And something about how Burt taught him sodomy. I'm not making this up. We all know what's coming, so Mike says, "This is 'Free Falling' by Tom Petty" and then... Dant Dant Dant -- Dant Dant Dant, Guh-Dant Dant Dant -- Dant Dant Dant!

Opeth played "Deliverance."

People of earth, I've led a better life than you. You might have a loving spouse and adoring kids and own property and have a retirement account and a personal relationship with the imaginary sky-god of your choosing, but I've seen "Deliverance" played live -- so fuck you, I win. I don't even know what else can be said. Yes, it was that good. I wanted to hug the crowd, or at least hold hands with the burned out, overly-tattooed dude to my right. Touched my soul, man. For those of you that have seen Opeth live, "Deliverance" was so rocking that Peter moved.

There were a few tracks from Damnation next, and while still an Opeth album, it is the record you put on when you want to fuck a lame girl to Opeth and Mike's "normal" vocals bug her. Moving along...

For some idiotic, lazy reason I haven't taken the time to review Opeth's latest and greatest "offering," the mesmerizing Ghost Reveries. I mentioned my lust for it while I was fellating Mike, but it needs repeating that people who say Opeth has gone down hill should be murdered where they sleep. The three best songs off of Reveries are "Ghost of Perdition," "The Baying of the Hounds," and "The Grand Conjuration." And Opeth played all three in a row! I totally shit myself and I'm never washing these jeans. Even though Mike assured us that the band would never do anything as ambitious as Chronology again (three-straight hours of pure, ecstatic beauty and death), Opeth will continue touring and they will play the new stuff. Sell your blood platelets or your ovum for tickets. Serious -- beyond the scope of the word "rad." Opeth was glorious, magic, five hearts beating as one. Yes, I just said that.

Oh, and they closed the evening with "Demon of the Fall." To quote the great a greater mind than mine, "Ha ha!"
NiteFall
I suspect that reviewer of being a tad biased. Not sure why though...
DOD-MDK
Its not an exaggeration, They are that good.
Shrubbery
QUOTE (DOD-MDK @ Mar 16 2006, 02:37 PM)
Its not an exaggeration, They are that good.

They are good, but they can also be boring as heck at times.
Opeth are either dull as heck or good as heck..
Their last album Ghost reveries is actually very good. Damnation was boring and suffered from it's production with a rather terrible drum sound...and boring album all in all.

How many have heard the new Katatonia The Great Cold Distance?

I'm still getting into it after owning it for two days..it's better than their last album Viva Emptiness. Maybe even much better..cause I didn't like Viva much. They've become a rather odd band...It's much like Opeth in many ways too..at times dull as heck...and at times ..well wonderful. But they seem to like their new chaotic twist a bit too much. I've heard though that this album is a sure grower..so I'm waiting for it to grow...I'll sit here and watch it grow..yup.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Shrubbery @ Aug 3 2006, 06:10 PM)
They are good, but they can also be boring as heck at times.

Man, you are so wrong. Opeth have never produced a song that is anything less than outstandingly brilliant.

I hope the new drummer's good. Martin Lopez was one of my favourite drummers of all time, and I was devastated to hear that he was leaving the band.

As for Katatonia, I've always thought they're a great band, but Jonas is such a weak singer. The quality of the vocals lags behind the rest of it that it really puts me off listening to them in a way pretty similar to Trivium. They're brilliant musically, but Matt Heafy is a bloody awful vocalist.
Shrubbery
Nonus Aequilibrium,Aug 3 2006, 11:56 PM]
Man, you are so wrong. Opeth have never produced a song that is anything less than outstandingly brilliant.

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't like Mikael Akerfeldt's growling very much..much because his growling is very typical cookie monster type...Aaron from My Dying Bride on the other hand has fantastic growling..and he has developed his growling rather a lot in the past years. Mikael is just too monotone in his growling. His singing however is much better...Aaron doesn't come close to him there..(even if I like Aarons voice better too)..but as Opeth uses much growling, this becomes an issue for me. Pluss some of their songs are just so boring beyond belief that I can't listen to them anymore..but yes...they are very good and have a lot of good songs..I just don't think they're the best band in the world. When it comes to progressive music, there are tons of other bands I would rather listen to.
A little note...MDB does also have a little load of boring as hell songs..but all in all they bore me much less.

I hope the new drummer's good. Martin Lopez was one of my favourite drummers of all time, and I was devastated to hear that he was leaving the band.

Martin Lopez was a huge loss indeed...he was brilliant live..or amazing as some would say.

As for Katatonia, I've always thought they're a great band, but Jonas is such a weak singer. The quality of the vocals lags behind the rest of it that it really puts me off listening to them in a way pretty similar to Trivium. They're brilliant musically, but Matt Heafy is a bloody awful vocalist.

You mean live? Cause on the albums I love Jonas's vocals. I still haven't bothered to listen to Trivium..I guess I'll have to check them out in the end.

Ever heard of the The Wounded? They have a more or less unique singer..it's still one of the greater findings I've done within this genre of music..

http://www.myspace.com/thewoundednl
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Shrubbery @ Aug 5 2006, 01:34 AM)
I still haven't bothered to listen to Trivium..I guess I'll have to check them out in the end.

Just check out "Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr" becasue the rest is poo.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Shrubbery @ Aug 5 2006, 02:34 AM)
I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't like Mikael Akerfeldt's growling very much..much because his growling is very typical cookie monster type...Aaron from My Dying Bride on the other hand has fantastic growling..and he has developed his growling rather a lot in the past years. Mikael is just too monotone in his growling. His singing however is much better...Aaron doesn't come close to him there..(even if I like Aarons voice better too)..but as Opeth uses much growling, this becomes an issue for me. Pluss some of their songs are just so boring beyond belief that I can't listen to them anymore..but yes...they are very good and have a lot of good songs..I just don't think they're the best band in the world. When it comes to progressive music, there are tons of other bands I would rather listen to.
A little note...MDB does also have a little load of boring as hell songs..but all in all they bore me much less.
Martin Lopez was a huge loss indeed...he was brilliant live..or amazing as some would say.
You mean live? Cause on the albums I love Jonas's vocals. I still haven't bothered to listen to Trivium..I guess I'll have to check them out in the end.

Ever heard of the The Wounded? They have a more or less unique singer..it's still one of the greater findings I've done within this genre of music..

http://www.myspace.com/thewoundednl

Aaron and Mike's vocal styles are quite different, and it's hard to say whether I find either better than the other. I think Mike's growling is excellent, and so is Aaron's in a different way (especially great is the heavy bit in Catherine Blake at the part beginning with "Die Erorians visit had been successful, rewarding...").

No I didn't mean live for Jonas' vocals, he just sounds really weak, although I can't say anything for the last two albums since the last one I bought was Last Fair Deal Gone Down. That was a great album which I thought was ruined by really weak sounding vocals from Jonas.

I'm listening to Ihsahn's solo album at the moment. Much closer to a follow on from Emperor than Peccatum. Now he's an outstanding vocalist, although I have no idea how he hasn't totally shredded his vocal chords by now.
Shrubbery
Nonus Aequilibrium,Aug 5 2006, 11:40 PM]
Aaron and Mike's vocal styles are quite different, and it's hard to say whether I find either better than the other. I think Mike's growling is excellent, and so is Aaron's in a different way (especially great is the heavy bit in Catherine Blake at the part beginning with "Die Erorians visit had been successful, rewarding...").

Aaron has begun to use the darkthrone kind of growling in a very neat way..I love him for that. Mike's growling I just find less interesting..much because I compare it to Aarons growling and Aaron goes much deeper and has a very powerful growl..no matter how silly that sounds. Cathrine Blake is a brilliant song...but like in their previous album The Dreadful Hours in the opening song called the same..when the thunder comes at the same time as his growl..it's really his way of going THAT deep that makes it work. If you've ever heard the song Turn loose the swans from their "breakthrough" album with the same name ..that song has also a genuine wonderful evil tone that just makes it in my opinion, which doesn't really matter, much better music.

No I didn't mean live for Jonas' vocals, he just sounds really weak, although I can't say anything for the last two albums since the last one I bought was Last Fair Deal Gone Down. That was a great album which I thought was ruined by really weak sounding vocals from Jonas.

Last fair deal gone down was a great album I thought..maybe one of their highlights. His vocals aren't very aggressive at all..so I can undertand that you might find them lacking what you really need. But I just love his very subtle agony...or whatever. Their last two albums have been a huge change i think. Viva emptiness I didn't like at all..because it actually was too brutal..weird...but I just thought they could have made more beautiful album...and so they did in their last attempt..which seems to me to be their best album ever..it's become very clear to me the last few days..but it needed many hours of listening before it actually could work. LFDGD had many good songs I think..but yes, he should use his voice more and push it further..he does in their latest album..but probably could do it even more. But katatonia have really impressed me with their latest release...cause they've really created something unique.

I'm listening to Ihsahn's solo album at the moment. Much closer to a follow on from Emperor than Peccatum. Now he's an outstanding vocalist, although I have no idea how he hasn't totally shredded his vocal chords by now.

Well..Aaron haven't shredded his vocal chords by now..so I guess Ihsahn could do manage as well. I like emperor, but haven't heard Ishahn's solo album...I guess it could be interesting. Of course..I've become all of a sudden a huge fan of Immortal atm. They are really awesome...if any style of black metal is to be concidered "true" black metal...they are it! Brilliant music! The good thing is that they're actually going to make a new Immortal album now it seems. (!!)

btw..I'm also a huge Paradise Lost fan..and Cradle Of Filth fan...I've listened to both bands for over 10 years now..and they still fascinate me. COF have never made a bad album ever..cause it does contain no matter what I think of it..a LOT of neat details that never stops to make me love it. Paradise Lost have finally in their last album actually made one album with a lot of good songs..for the first time. One 1 or 2 songs I don't like THAT much...COF and PL are so far my fav metal bands..even if it's hard to love COF because of their theatrics..which is a load of bull. They still rock though..no matter what the "true" black metallists say.
COF isn't black metal...just so we don't begin to discuss that old subject. They just make a lot of great music...It's strangely the band I've listened to the most through out the last 10 years...lot's of fun harmonic details in their music..but of course..the vocals is the point..if you can't stand Dani's squeels....it gets boring rather fast. But no matter how small Dani might be..he's still one of the greatest within the extreme metal genre. If u ask me, he IS the greatest.

Anyhoo..I've listened to Trivium today..not because I wanted too..but because a friend once again made me listen to it. And their latest stuff was better then their older stuff. They're quite cool..but not my kind of metal. Not sure if the vocalist really needs to be able to sing as long as he can yell like he does.

I'll have to check out Ishahn's new solo album now...damnit.

Ps: what do you guys think of The Wounded?
I really think they can become one of thei biggest if they just continue to evolve the "right" way.

I would also recommend the band Green Carnation if you like Opeth.
Shrubbery
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Aug 5 2006, 06:41 PM)
Just check out "Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr" becasue the rest is poo.

So it seems..if I'm going to listen more to this band..it's from his album on.
Nonus Aequilibrium
I'm just having a listen to The Wounded now. It's quite similar sounding to Anathema. Good stuff.

Ihsahn's solo album is excellent. It's very complex in the way that Prometheus was, but not quite as relentlessly brutal and far more quieter prog bits. In the same way as Prometheus I enjoyed it far more on the second or third listen.

I think Cradle of Filth are brilliant. I'd say Cruelty and the Beast was about their best so far. I'm not quite sure why there seemed to be such a rivalry between fans with CoF and Dimmu Borgir, since their music is actually quite different I've found. They're both excellent bands, but with different styles. I used to hate CoF because of Dani's voice, but when I started to give them a proper listen I got used to it and he really is an incredible vocalist, the ranges of what he can do with his voice are amazing (although the whole range of what he can do is pretty much on the offensive side of the scale for most people's tastes).
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Shrubbery @ Aug 6 2006, 02:47 AM)
So it seems..if I'm going to listen more to this band..it's from this album on.

Hehe that's just the one song.
Shrubbery
I'm just having a listen to The Wounded now. It's quite similar sounding to Anathema. Good stuff.

Indeed smile.gif

Ihsahn's solo album is excellent. It's very complex in the way that Prometheus was, but not quite as relentlessly brutal and far more quieter prog bits. In the same way as Prometheus I enjoyed it far more on the second or third listen.

Ok, will have to check it out too.
Btw...listened to Immortal much?
Abbath is coming out with a new album soon...think that will be worth checking out. Immortal will "soon" be out with a new album I think too.

I think Cradle of Filth are brilliant. I'd say Cruelty and the Beast was about their best so far. I'm not quite sure why there seemed to be such a rivalry between fans with CoF and Dimmu Borgir, since their music is actually quite different I've found. They're both excellent bands, but with different styles. I used to hate CoF because of Dani's voice, but when I started to give them a proper listen I got used to it and he really is an incredible vocalist, the ranges of what he can do with his voice are amazing (although the whole range of what he can do is pretty much on the offensive side of the scale for most people's tastes).

I think I have to agree about CATB being their best..of course..I actually hope they remake that album. I'm not a big fan of remakes..but the drum sound on it is pathetic. Still..the album kicks ass for sure. But their newer stuff is also great. Their last two albums are great too. Think their upcoming album will be great too..even if I don't like the idea of the HIM singer guest vocaling on that album. They should get Diamanda Galas to guest vocal in the future..they've actually tried to get her..but so far no luck.

Dimmu are good too..but the COF albums last longer...at least they do to me.
Have most Dimmu albums...and will buy every new albums they release.

Anyhoo, what do you think of Paradise Lost?

Btw..to all the other metallers here..feel free to join in and share views. smile.gif
fatseff1234
Dimmu Borgir are good but I haven't really listened to any Cradle so I can't really comment.

Does anyone know why The Insane Clown Posse are classed as metal?
Shrubbery
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Aug 8 2006, 12:38 AM)
Dimmu Borgir are good but I haven't really listened to any Cradle so I can't really comment.

Does anyone know why The Insane Clown Posse are classed as metal?

Really..? What the flying hell is the insane clown posse?!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.