Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: COMMANDO vs BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 12 2006, 02:25 PM)
Well there is the bit when Carl Weathers & Arnie meet up, shake hands and you get a nice close-up of their big shiny helmets, sorry, biceps.

Plus all those guys shooting off their big weapons in the jungle.

They do hold hands for a while in that scene don't they? Okay that's fairly gay.
ronlogan1977
Predator is very gay.
To whit the moment where Jesse Ventura offers his chewing tobacco to the posse in the helicopter.

Nothing but a bunch of slack jawed faggots in here

directly after he says

This`ll make you a goddamn sexual tyrannosaur. Just like me.

Showdown in Little Tokyo is even gayer. Brandon Lee says to Dolph.

if i die I want you know you have the biggest penis I ever saw

Brokeback was nowhere near those levels of homsexuality.
chadbeserk
Big Trouble in Little China because it was so much frickin' fun and is still fantabulous today.
ronlogan1977
Who voted both Kaka. I detect the presence of girl. We don`t need the girl.
Raven
Big Trouble in Little China, Commando was appalling!
A Big Fat Tranny?
QUOTE (ronlogan1977 @ Apr 12 2006, 02:59 PM)
Who voted both Kaka. I detect the presence of girl. We don`t need the girl.

"Let the girl go, it's me you want!"

Not really. I voted Commando, but just fancied getting a quote in.
Withnail
Another vote for Big Trouble in Little China. I despise all of Lunkhead Arnie's movies.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Withnail @ Apr 12 2006, 04:54 PM)
I despise all of Lunkhead Arnie's movies.

How is that possible? Did he steal from you as a child or run over your puppy?
thirtyhelens
"Jack, what?! I'm supposed to buy this shit?! 2,000 years and he can't find one broad to fit the bill? Come on, Dave...you must be doing something seriously wrong!"

All your base are belong to Jack Burton. laugh.gif
Sostie
It's all in the reflexes
Kick in the Head
"Sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn... call the president. "

Could sit here all day quoting it...save everyone the (big) trouble

Which Rocky film is the one with the talking robot sidekick in it? I'm pretty sure there is one, but none of my friends believed me!
whitey
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Apr 12 2006, 07:06 PM)
Which Rocky film is the one with the talking robot sidekick in it? I'm pretty sure there is one, but none of my friends believed me!

I think it's four but it might also be five. But I think it's four.
Blind I/O
Difficult as it was, I've voted for Big Trouble because it's the better film.
zeden
QUOTE (whitey @ Apr 12 2006, 07:08 PM)
I think it's four but it might also be five. But I think it's four.

Its Rocky 3. The one with Clubber Lang (Mr T). Worst of the lot in my opinion. The robot was basically Pauly's slave/whore-bot. I've got a rant stored up about Rocky 3 but I'll save it for another time.
HellsBells
Big Trouble in Little China, if only for the theme tune.
Withnail
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Apr 12 2006, 06:06 PM)
"Sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn... call the president. "

Could sit here all day quoting it...save everyone the (big) trouble

When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, looks you crooked in the eye and asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."

Superb! cool.gif
Svein
The little old basket case on wheels or the ten foot tall roadblock?
Kick in the Head
Right, I've finally decided on Big Trouble...
It came down to the fact that it has a slightly more embarassing credits song, sung by John Carpenter and friends (even though Commando's Power Station track "Somewhere, Somehow, Someone! We Fight For Love!" is sublime). Is it just me or when Carpenter sings "Take us away! Take us away! Take us AWAAAAAY!", is he making another stereotypical jab at the Chinese for takeaway food?
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Apr 13 2006, 09:59 AM)
"Take us away! Take us away! Take us AWAAAAAY!"

You think that's good, you ought to see the video. laugh.gif Quality.

"I'd come with you, but..."
"I know, there's a problem with your face."
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Apr 13 2006, 10:40 PM)
You think that's good, you ought to see the video.  laugh.gif  Quality.

"I'd come with you, but..."
"I know, there's a problem with your face."

The video is probably my most watched DVD extra of all time. You can keep your Spike Jonze, Mark Romanek and Michel Gondry - that video is REAL genius!
ronlogan1977
So that was it then. A run off involving Arnies finest and Kurt won.
This is the second time Carpenters thwarted me after the mighty Jaws lost to the great but not as good The Thing.
The 26 of you voted against Schwarzenfuhrers masterpiece should hang your heads in collective shame.

I`ll be back Bennett!
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (ronlogan1977 @ Apr 21 2006, 02:43 AM)
So that was it then. A run off involving Arnies finest and Kurt won.
This is the second time Carpenters thwarted me after the mighty Jaws lost to the great but not as good The Thing.
The 26 of you voted against Schwarzenfuhrers masterpiece should hang your heads in collective shame.

I`ll be back Bennett!

The Thing is vastly better than Jaws.

tongue.gif
spacegurl
I'll vote for Commando. It's far more exciting and stupid.

I can understand why Big Trouble In Little China is considered technically a better film, but it's just not as fun to watch.

"Fuck you, asshole."
"Fuck you, asshaull."
whitey
we did The Thing vs. Jaws? what did I vote for? I have no memory of this.
ronlogan1977
It was in the year 2005. It seems you`d consumed too many Twiglets that week and therefore have no memory of the event.
Just as well as it`s not exactly the one of the Forums proudest moments and it had me throwing my toys out the pram for weeks on end.

Philistines.
Sostie
QUOTE (whitey @ Apr 21 2006, 03:16 AM)
we did The Thing vs. Jaws? what did I vote for? I have no memory of this.

You went the way of the fish

Tough call. They're easily as good as each other but I reckon Jaws is the greater achievement in that case for being a harder film to do right.
DazDaMan
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Apr 21 2006, 04:00 AM)
The Thing is vastly better than Jaws.
tongue.gif

Get out!!
Crutch
The Thing is actually better than Jaws.
DazDaMan
QUOTE (Crutch @ Apr 21 2006, 03:13 PM)

Right, you too!
ronlogan1977
QUOTE (Crutch @ Apr 21 2006, 02:13 PM)

All that good work you`ve put into being one of the Forums best posters undone in one silly statement. For shame.
Blind I/O
It is though. The poll showed it to be so. The poll never lies.
ronlogan1977
My toys are being thrown out the pram right now.
whitey
I think I made the right choice although forcing me to decide between two of the films that always make my top ten films ever made list is extremely harsh. I can't believe I was so blasť about it.
Crutch
QUOTE (ronlogan1977 @ Apr 21 2006, 04:40 PM)
All that good work you`ve put into being one of the Forums best posters undone in one silly statement. For shame.

You're actually talking about quality? Wow, to read that compliment is worth to destroy it. Thanks.
ronlogan1977
That`s the cruelty of the Sostie threads laid bare. At their best, Sostie is doing the cinematic equivalent of forcing us hapless forumites to sacrifice a child.
Beelzebub himself was most likely whispering in his ear when he forced us to choose between The Thing and Jaws or Commando and Big Trouble.
Very rarely do we get a great film (Sideways) versus a stinker ( Garden State).
whitey
QUOTE (ronlogan1977 @ Apr 21 2006, 04:00 PM)
At their best, Sostie is doing the cinematic equivalent of forcing us hapless forumites to sacrifice a child.

No, most of them haven't been that difficult. Especially this one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.