Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The TV DVD thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Punkass
Picked up The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. - The Complete Series for only 22 bucks from DDD. Grabbed the final season of Frasier as well.
Omniscia
QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 8 2008, 05:57 AM)
I watched the first two episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine last night, after not having seen them for years, and I was genuinely surprised by how well they still hold up. 

I've always though Emissary was the best of the Trek pilots, but I was impressed at how well it laid down the ground work for the series without getting bogged down in 'this is character "x", they do this' style explanations, whilst telling a reasonable story at the same time.

It's really odd seeing Sisko with hair though, and Bashir was just sooooo green - they really did develop the character very well over the seven year run.

I'm really looking forward to watching more.

I missed the first few episodes of DS9, when it premiered, so my first experience with it was episode five, "Captive Pursuit." A good O'Brien story, that one.
Raven
I was looking at the back of the first wallet yesterday, for disks one and two (which covers the first seven episodes), and there isn't one I'm not looking forward to watching again (and I'm especially looking forward to watching Duet again, towards the end of the series).

I know there are some clunkers to come, but for the moment, I'm quite enjoying it - and more than I thought I would.
rabbit57i
Oh my goodness, I've finally finished seeing Catterick.

I had seen the first three episodes when it first came out on TV. I finally bought the DVD about 6 months ago and slowly worked my way through it. And now I'm finally done.

There is definitely a difference between the first half & the second half, but I don't know if that's because how I've seen it or just how it turned out. I laughed a lot in the first half, not so much second half. And Reece is far & above the star of the series.
sweetbutinsane
My friend has just lent me season one and two of Weeds. I'm only three episodes in at the moment and it seems pretty cool.
rabbit57i
Oh, I've also finished Danger UXB.

It started off okay, was quite excellent in the middle and then petered out again towards the end. To be fair, it may not have lessened towards the end. This just be my perception after they killed off my favorite guy. sad.gif
Julie
If anyone wants Firefly or Carnivale or a number of seasons of Friends, Buffy, Angel, Roswell etc for $17.98 CAD, just let me know. Wal-mart has a fairly retarded sale on right now.
mcraigclark
QUOTE (Julie @ Feb 26 2008, 06:26 PM)
If anyone wants Firefly or Carnivale or a number of seasons of Friends, Buffy, Angel, Roswell etc for $17.98 CAD, just let me know.  Wal-mart has a fairly retarded sale on right now.

Target had a similarly retarded sale this past weekend. I bought Dexter for $17.00.
Julie
QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Feb 26 2008, 07:48 PM)
Target had a similarly retarded sale this past weekend.  I bought Dexter for $17.00.

Seriously!? We don't have Target up here. If you happen upon it again, I'd gladly paypal you for Dexter!
mcraigclark
QUOTE (Julie @ Feb 26 2008, 07:52 PM)
Seriously!?  We don't have Target up here.  If you happen upon it again, I'd gladly paypal you for Dexter!

I'll keep a lookout for it, but you can get it online for $19.99 at the moment.
Julie
QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Feb 26 2008, 07:54 PM)
I'll keep a lookout for it, but you can get it online for $19.99 at the moment.

Done, thank you, sir.
mcraigclark
QUOTE (Julie @ Feb 26 2008, 07:56 PM)
Done, thank you, sir.

Excellent! Go capitalism!
Raven
I'm nearing the end of the first season of Deep Space Nine now, and I'm amazed at how bad Nan Visitor's acting is - it completely went over my head on previous viewings.

I watched Battle Lines last night, the one where Kia Opaka gets killed on an alien planet, and she was totally unconvincing!

I'm getting a bit worried now, because Duet, my favourite story from season one, is very Kira heavy, and I'm concerned her acting is going to let it down.
Omniscia
Someone brought me the first four seasons of The Wire, from a trip overseas. The quality is surprisingly good, as is the show!

I'm only through the first episode, but so far I quite like it. It was an added bonus to see one of my favourite ales, the now-retired Humble Patience (from local brewer Magic Hat), put in an appearance in one of the bar scenes.
ella
Friends series 1. It is like a comfy, snuggly, nostalgic security blanket.
Downsy
Dot's been heading through the Friends box set since just after Christmas, I think she's now on episode 20. I'm enjoying the Beavis and Butthead box set, truely excellent smile.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
I suppose that here's the best place to put this - one of the many extras on the Superman collection I bought last week was all 17 Max Fleischer Superman cartoons - made in 1941-2, they proved to be the inspiration for countless other cartoons, most notably the Batman and Superman animated series of the 90s.

The care and work that's gone into these is truly astonishing - I was open-mouthed watching how far ahead of their time these cartoons were in terms of animation, atmosphere and storytelling.

The Mad Scientist
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ May 2 2008, 03:22 PM)
I suppose that here's the best place to put this - one of the many extras on the Superman collection I bought last week was all 17 Max Fleischer Superman cartoons

Aren't they fabulous? We've had a laser disk of them here at my work since I've been here. We used to use them a lot but haven't for a while. Fleischer Studios was the cream of the crop back in the day. Unfortunately they couldn't keep up with Disney. They are the inventors of rotoscoping.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ May 2 2008, 09:01 PM)
Unfortunately they couldn't keep up with Disney. They are the inventors of rotoscoping.

There's a documentary included about the Fleischers and how they invented rotorscoping to give a more fluid, realistic feel - if you compare their cartoons to many of the others of the day this bears out - Mickey and a lot of his pals just looks rubbery and unreal - which a lot of people liked, obviously. Such a shame that there wasn't room for both of the companies.

But remember kids - no rotoscoping, no lightsabers. If it weren't for the Fleischers, we might not even be on this forum.

I'd completely forgotten that the Fleischers had done Betty Boop and Out of the Inkwell, too. I used to love Coco the Clown.
rabbit57i
They also did the original Popeye. I love Disney, but if I had to choose I would definitely go with Fleischer. A lot of their stuff is unbelievably surreal.
Ade
Been eating my way through Seasons 1 and 2 of The 4400 over the past few days. It's not the most fantastic sci-fi show I've ever seen but it's more than watchable, and I'm getting more into it with each passing episode - it's certainly improving. I don't remember seeing it mentioned round here very often though - anybody else a fan?
dolfyn
^ I used to watch it, but he channel that was airing it kept changing timeslots & days it was showing, & then they'd pull it off the air for weeks or months at a time. I lost track & then lost interest. Shame, really. sad.gif
Our free-to-air channels do that with so many good shows, these days. mad.gif
No wonder people turn to downloading instead. rolleyes.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wacko.gif
dolfyn
I've been having my own little Greatest American Hero marathon. It's still such a funny & clever show, that it makes me see the repeatative shots & dodgy early-'80s effects (complete with the occasional glimpse of the strings) with a nostalgic fondness. happy.gif I must say, though, that the UFO effects still stand up. cool.gif
It was one of my fave shows when I was a kid. Ralph Hinkley was one of my first fan-crushes. wub.gif

Feel the love (in funny red long-johns).
dolfyn.
biggrin.gif
Outatime
I am nearing the end of my Quantum Leap fest. I have never seen the end of Quantum Leap so this is very exciting. I've got to wait til my birthday to get the 5th series but it'll be worth it. It's only taken me about 3 years to watch the first 4 series.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Ade @ May 19 2008, 09:11 PM)
Been eating my way through Seasons 1 and 2 of The 4400 over the past few days. It's not the most fantastic sci-fi show I've ever seen but it's more than watchable, and I'm getting more into it with each passing episode - it's certainly improving. I don't remember seeing it mentioned round here very often though - anybody else a fan?

I loved it. I'm gutted it's been cancelled.

Can't we have a clause in the contracts that say if the studios cancels a show, they are forced to give the show a one off, two hour special to wrap things up?
Omniscia
Okay, so, I blew some more of my tax return on completing my MacGyver set. I figured I'd be picking the rest up sooner or later, and may as well strike while they're on sale (thanks, Amazon!)...
dolfyn
MacGyver is da man. cool.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
smile.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
I'm looking forward to getting my copy of Takin' Over the Asylum when it comes out in just over a week. I haven't seen it since it was first on, so it'll be interesting to see how wee Davy used to be.

I'll wager Stott hasn't changed much. laugh.gif
dolfyn
I finished my Greatest American Hero marathon. Such a fun show! happy.gif I've also watched the cast interviews. Poor William Katt hasn't aged too well; too much sun, I think. (Although he is about 57 now.) Connie Sellecca barely looks a day older, though! And she doesn't look like she's had any work done. huh.gif

I'm a bit bummed that there's no behind-the-scenes stuff, or commentaries, or out-takes. sad.gif

I introduced my Gen-Y friend to it today, & he likes it & wants to see more. I love converting people to my favourite shows. biggrin.gif

Feel the love (believe it or not).
dolfyn.
cool.gif
ella
I am rewatching Firefly for the umpteenth time. I do love it so.
dolfyn
In the last few weeks, I've been watching Greatest American Hero again, this time with my Mum. She liked the show back in the day, & she's really enjoying it this time around, too. She loves William Katt! happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
biggrin.gif
Jimmay
Already 4 episodes in to season 3 of BSG and it's spectacular so far. Now looking ahead to the next show to get on DVD and The Wire season one is only 16 quid. Is it as good as everyone says? I may have to find out.
maian
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jun 30 2008, 09:11 AM)
Already 4 episodes in to season 3 of BSG and it's spectacular so far.  Now looking ahead to the next show to get on DVD and The Wire season one is only 16 quid.  Is it as good as everyone says? I may have to find out.

Yes. Though I would say that.
bigfatrich
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jun 30 2008, 08:11 AM)
Already 4 episodes in to season 3 of BSG and it's spectacular so far.  Now looking ahead to the next show to get on DVD and The Wire season one is only 16 quid.  Is it as good as everyone says? I may have to find out.

Yes. Gerrit bought!
Ade
I'll have to be getting me some Wire soon, methinks.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jun 30 2008, 09:11 AM)

Another 'yes' from me. Do not expect an easy watch, or any of the typical cop stereotypes. If you're anything like me it'll take you half a dozen episodes to get the 'feel' of the show - and even to get the lingo - but it's well worth sticking with. Over five seasons it's probably the least conventional and most rewarding TV show I've ever seen.
sweetbutinsane
Because I have little else to do for the next two months, I've started watching 21 Jump Street from the beginning again. It's been far too long.
dolfyn
^ Aw, I did that last year. Bloody good show. cool.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
smile.gif
Raven
QUOTE (dolfyn @ May 28 2008, 11:08 AM)
MacGyver is da man.  cool.gif

You've obviously not seen the one where he finds Atlantis . . .

Just watched Futurama: The Beast With a Billion Backs, some good laugh out loud moments, but nowhere near as good as Bender's Big Score.
dolfyn
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 1 2008, 09:16 AM)
You've obviously not seen the one where he finds Atlantis . . .

I have, but I forgive the bad episodes because he's MacGyver! cool.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (dolfyn @ Jul 1 2008, 12:06 AM)
^ Aw, I did that last year. Bloody good show.  cool.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
smile.gif

I love it. I just remembered that I had a 21 Jump Street marathon this time last year, but my portable DVD player broke during season three. I have a new one now though, so fingers crossed that it won't die on me.
thirtyhelens
I've been pretty satisfied with methodically collecting the Sopranos season box sets, mostly at deep discounts (and occasionally free.. tee hee.) And now they throw this at me:

The Sopranos: The Complete Series gift set is loaded with over 3 ½ hours of never-before-seen bonus material including:  Supper with The Sopranos, two sit-down dinners with cast and crew full of insider trivia like what was the one condition Stevie Van Zandt made in order to play Silvio and what did Edie Falco as Carmella forget to wear during the final diner scene; as well as a separate, exclusive two-part interview of creator David Chase by actor Alec Baldwin (a huge fan who tried to get Chase to cast him in an episode) where Chase shares his personal views including his first impression of James Gandolfini during his audition and who was his inspiration for Lidia in the show.

Other extras include:

·        Paley Center for Media Seminar –  discussion with David Chase and Terence Winter, featuring characters who were “whacked” including Vincent Pastore, Steve Buscemi, Drea de Matteo, David Proval and Annabella Sciorra

·        Extra Gravy –  spoofs and parodies of The Sopranos

·        Lost Scenes from all six seasons

·        Original audio commentaries from cast and crew

·        2 CD soundtracks on three discs featuring a genre-bending collection of music including the show’s theme “Woke Up This Morning (Chosen One Mix)” by A3

·        16-page detailed Episode Guide

SRP? $399.99 - faaaaawwwwwk! I don't know if I can finnagle something that swish out of HBO this time.

ETA: I just noticed, who the hell is Lidia? tongue.gif
empathy-with-beast
Isn't Lidia Tony's mum?

Edit: oh that was a joke about spelling wasn't it.
thirtyhelens
Aye.
Peronel
Just finished Season 1 of Melrose Place. Not as scandalous as I remember, but things heat up toward the end. Oh Billy, how I loved thee.
Atara
They were selling the Sopranos complete boxset in Zavvi for £89.99 last time I was in. The one on Princess Street is shut down now though. Obviously it is not the all singing all dancing collection, but anyone in the UK who was wanting to buy it but it was too expensive should check it out while it's cheap as hell.
logger
That really is good value, and probably about £200 cheaper than what I paid for the individual boxes over the years. So do yourself a favour people and buy it.
Raven
I don't know if anyone will be interested in this, but Zavvi are selling the complete Sharpe box set for £17.99 at the moment.
Jon 79
QUOTE (Raven @ Aug 23 2008, 03:02 PM)
I don't know if anyone will be interested in this, but Zavvi are selling the complete Sharpe box set for £17.99 at the moment.

I loved that show.
...but as each episode was feature length, I doubt i'd watch them all more than twice a decade. ... or something. Great bargain though.... If only my room was bigger & i could afford such dvd shelf space.
dolfyn
I've been plowing my way through all The A-Team episodes for the last few weeks. I've just started on series 4.

I'm on the jazz, man!
I love it when a plan comes together.
biggrin.gif

Good times. cool.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
happy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.