Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The TV DVD thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
zeden
I'm pretty sure that we dont have a thread running for this, so here goes.

I buy a lot of tv series on dvd. I tend to find that they're better value than films and I prefer to watch series in bulk sessions rather than trying to remember to watch it when its on tv.

So, what series are you watching now, which series would you recomend (or avoid) etc, etc.

I watched Look Around You series 2 the other night. Really love the little jokes which carry over from the first series (Thanks ants- thants etc). The music episode definitely tops the lot for me. The Music 2000 bits are pure class, especially the Rapping Song.
Zoe
Just finished 'Arrested Development' Season 2, which was a little disappointing, but had its moments.

'A Bit of Fry and Laurie' series one, I think they improved over time.

Previously, all five seasons of 'The Sopranos', which was perfection in TV form.

At the moment, season one of 'Six Feet Under', even better than I remembered it.
tigerlily
Murder One - which was originally shown in the mid to late 90s on BBC2. It's gripping stuff. Over the 24 episodes it follows a law firm involved in defending a high profile actor accused of murder. There's a 2nd season as well, which is weaker than the first but still quite good.
ipse dixit
This has just reminded me that my friend lent me the first season of Desperate Housewives and I've still not got round to watching it - oops. I've still not watched season 3 of Curb Your Enthusiasm either, and I've had that lying around for a while.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (Zoe @ May 19 2006, 01:43 PM)
At the moment, season one of 'Six Feet Under', even better than I remembered it.

Terrific stuff. What's your favourite episode?
Sostie
Bought seasons 3 onwards of Sopranos...which means I have to buy 1 & 2 before I finally settle down and watch them.

Got Seasons 2 onwards of Curb Your Enthusiasm at Christams...only got season 1 last week. Have to find time to watch them all now (I like to watch them in order).

Also have to find time to watch the first 3 seasons of Soap as well.
Zoe
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ May 19 2006, 01:45 PM)
Terrific stuff. What's your favourite episode?

Ask me again when I finish it. My Mum has bought them all and is passing them on to me series by series.

A couple of days ago she was watching season two when she came out with, "you're a lot like Claire aren't you?" I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not, I thought I'd grown out of that stage.

'Desperate Housewives' is piffle, it's such a light and hollow confection that like a soufflé full of air it deflates after a few episodes.

Bought series 5 and 6 of Seinfeld which I adore, will complete the collection when I have the money.
Henry Krinkle
Me and Lady Krinkle recently started Six Feet Under right from the beginning. We're currently up to season 4, episode 4 (I think. It's the one where David gets carjacked, and is possibly the most harrowing half hour of television I have ever seen).
When we've finished the entire run we'll go back and do the commentaries.
I dearly love Six Feet Under.

We recently started watching Arrested Development. A tradesman turned up whilst we were watching it, so currently I'm only 20 minutes into the first episode. I'm not hugely impressed so far, but I'll reserve judgement, what with it only being 20 mins and all.

I love to cram in a random (Jessop take note, I am using this as God intended) TV comedy episode whenever I can. At the moment I'm all about Peep Show series 2 and 3, and Mighty Boosh series 1. Just for a bit of fun I may watch Blackadder's Christmas Carol later. Yeah, I bet you never saw that coming!

They're not really 'TV Shows', but I do like to put on some vintage Disney shorts (short subjects, not short trousers) once in a while. I bought those ones in the metal tins a while back, and they're always good for a bit of an animation history lesson.
widowspider
QUOTE (tigerlily @ May 19 2006, 01:45 PM)
Murder One - which was originally shown in the mid to late 90s on BBC2.  It's gripping stuff.  Over the 24 episodes it follows a law firm involved in defending a high profile actor accused of murder.  There's a 2nd season as well, which is weaker than the first but still quite good.

Oh wow! I used to love watching that show. It was aces, although the second series was definitely not as good as the first.
PrincessKate
I'm very much a TV person over a film person (Something which irks my housemates somewhat).
Currently I'm working my way through all 3 series of The League of Gentlemen avec commentaries - fun fun as always. Recently I was (rather too obviously) into Band of Brothers which I watched religiously for a month or so, and I'm just getting back into That 70's Show (Only ever saw the first 2 series, and from bits of later ones I've caught uit's definitely going downhill) but I'm tempted to get the second series just because it does have some of my favourite episodes in it (Particularly the Pastor Dave one).
tigerlily
QUOTE (widowspider @ May 19 2006, 01:57 PM)
Oh wow! I used to love watching that show. It was aces, although the second series was definitely not as good as the first.

I never saw it when it was on at the time, but I remember people raving about it. It hooked me right in though, I watched the whole lot over a weekend.

I've also started buying up the X-Files as Virgin/HMV seem to be flogging them quite cheaply. I'd like to find out at exactly what point I lost interest.

I also quite like early season Law & Order, although just after I bought the box sets they started showing them on Hallmark. Bah.

Next up may be something like NYPD Blue, although I should really complete one collection before moving on to the next.
Starscream`s Ghost
Started on Black Books series one last night, and I`m hoping to trudge my way through the rest as time goes on. After that, I'm planning a biggie. Every epsiode of Dogtanian.
tigerlily
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ May 19 2006, 02:04 PM)
After that, I'm planning a biggie. Every epsiode of Dogtanian.

Ah, I tried that. However, the one thing that becomes more obvious with age is the fact that Dogtanion is an annoying little shit.

Same goes for that mouse/rat thing in Willy Fogg.
Raven
I tend to watch more TV series on DVD than I do films.

I've just finished watching Stargate SG-1 season 4 and have started watching, you guessed it, Stargate SG-1 season 5 and I'm also part way though the first disk of Scrubs season 3.

I have several other series lines up to watch/re-watch at the moment including The West Wing season 6, The X-Files seasons 1 and 9 (I never saw the second half of the latter) and Angel season 1.

I'm also tempted to get a copy of Life on Mars . . .
Jubei
I do too, because I always forget when they're on TV. At the moment me and my lovely lady are watching Band of Brothers, and she is also working her way through Sex and the City, she's just starting Series 3 now, although I'm avoiding that lot. I also had Blakes 7 to watch, but I haven't got round to it, and now the person who lent it to me wants it back. Bother.
zeden
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ May 19 2006, 01:54 PM)
We recently started watching Arrested Development. A tradesman turned up whilst we were watching it, so currently I'm only 20 minutes into the first episode. I'm not hugely impressed so far, but I'll reserve judgement, what with it only being 20 mins and all.

Its definitely not the kind of show you could make a judgement on that early. You need to get to know the characters a bit. By the third or fourth episode it starts getting really good. Gob's letter throwing antics in the second (or maybe third) episode are classic.
rabbit57i
Currently working my way through The Comic Strip Presents. We're doing a disk a month, so it will be September before we are done.

We are also watching different vintage episodes of Dr. Who. Oddly, we inadvertently seem to be getting the first episodes of each Dr.

I am also currently going through Asylum, Nighty Night Series 1, Royle Family, series 3, Wild West. I think that's it.
Kevin Hall
I was immensely pleased when the second series of This Life was finally released on DVD. Now I've just got to find time to watch it all.
maian

It is a show that takes a few episodes to get going and rewards repeated viewings as jokes tend to run from episode to episode.

Most recently I have watched the first 6 seasons of Seinfeld and found them to be most enjoyable, as well as a recent rewatch of all of Buffy.

I may also watch all of The West Wing again when it finishes over here. One of the best TV shows ever made.
ella
QUOTE (Kevin Hall @ May 19 2006, 03:30 PM)
I was immensely pleased when the second series of This Life was finally released on DVD. Now I've just got to find time to watch it all.

Is this good? I am considering buying series one as people whose television tastes I respect keep recommending it to me.

I need a new series to watch. I am re-re-watching Angel Series 1 at them moment, but I want fresh.
Kevin Hall
It's well written, well cast and well acted and is, in turns, tearjerking and hilarious. It also contains nudity. And series one is only £13.99 on Play at the moment. I'd recommend it.

Edit : It was also referenced in CultChannel4SitcomSpaced, of course.
luvmusic
Green Wing S1
West Wing S1

Have State of Play and Holding On which also need watching, and S4 of Family Guy.

Lots, in fact.
ella
QUOTE (Kevin Hall @ May 19 2006, 03:44 PM)
It's well written, well cast and well acted and is, in turns, tearjerking and hilarious. It also contains nudity. And series one is only £13.99 on Play at the moment. I'd recommend it.

Edit : It was also referenced in CultChannel4SitcomSpaced, of course.

Sold. I shall have a look in the HMV on the way home. I can't be waiting for deliveries from online I want my comedy drama now goddamit.
thirtyhelens
Tonight I start working my way through Strangers With Candy again, in prep for an upcoming DVD pick. Always a pleasure.
fatseff1234
Last purchase was Series 4 of Family Guy.

I too prefer watching them in bulk, it's just better overall.

I blame Futurama.
Igmeister
I watch loads of TV series this way, I'm on episode 7 of Band of Brothers at the moment, and have series one and two of This Life next on the list. I ordered Life on Mars on tuesday so I should think that'll arrive tomorrow.
Henry Krinkle

QUOTE (zeden @ May 19 2006, 02:25 PM)
Its definitely not the kind of show you could make a judgement on that early. You need to get to know the characters a bit. By the third or fourth episode it starts getting really good. Gob's letter throwing antics in the second (or maybe third) episode are classic.

QUOTE (maian @ May 19 2006, 04:34 PM)
It is a show that takes a few episodes to get going and rewards repeated viewings as jokes tend to run from episode to episode.

Well, I'm through the first disc and it's pretty good. It was pretty much only the first episode that I didn't like (but that's the same of most shows. The first episode is all about set up, and normally suffers as a result. Spaced is an obvious exception).
Looking forward to watching the others.
monkeyman
I don't think spaced is an exception.

I never show it to people if I'm trying to get them intereste din the first series. Mostly because of the fake hammy crying in the cafe. It's the one moment where most people I've showed it to have looked over and gon like "hmm" =/.
sleeping_pirate
Red Dwarf IV- I'd forgotten how much I loved this when I was little. It's brilliant smile.gif
maian
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle @ May 20 2006, 05:39 PM)
Well, I'm through the first disc and it's pretty good. It was pretty much only the first episode that I didn't like (but that's the same of most shows. The first episode is all about set up, and normally suffers as a result. Spaced is an obvious exception).
Looking forward to watching the others.

The pilot does suffer from a hell of a lot of exposition, though the documentary format of it all does require that to some extent, but it did somewhat worry me when I first got it. Did you watch both versions of the pilot, by the way? Which did you prefer? I think there are some lines in the extended version that worked brilliantly (''Or cocaine...'' for example) but the version shown on TV does benefit from a slicker pace due to the editing.
zeden
Showed Chris Look Around You on the weekend. Thankfully he liked it, otherwise I would have had to dispence a harsh beating on him.

Been working my way through Monkey over the last few nights. I really love this show (would you have guessed tongue.gif ). In the episode I watched the other night Pigsy and Sandy got pregnant from drinking water from an enchanted well. Pigsy went a bit crazy and started talking about how much he loved his baby. There was the most bizare dream sequence in which Pigsy fights a bunch of henchmen with his baby, a pig, on his back. Funny as fook.
Monkey also said one of the greatest lines I have ever heard.

"Your not a king. Your a birthday cake and I'm going to slice you into pieces!"

Quality.
Ohio_is_for_lovers
Zeden, i do that always, my friends pay about £15 for a dvd of a film that lasts about an hour and a half. I would much rather buy tv programs on dvd and sit watching them.

Currently watching Black books - series 1.....again. I really must invest in some more, i am on an ever continuous loop of watching the same stuff, for example a couple of days ago i was onto Peep show again.
Jubei
QUOTE (Igmeister @ May 19 2006, 05:55 PM)
I watch loads of TV series this way, I'm on episode 7 of Band of Brothers at the moment, and have series one and two of This Life next on the list.  I ordered Life on Mars  on tuesday so I should think that'll arrive tomorrow.

ooh, I've just done episode 7 as well. Thank god Spiers is the new CO, Dike was a prick. I had a HUGE smile on my face when he did his mad running thing and was nearly crying with happiness.

Also, showed a couple of episodes of Look Around You S1 to a friend the other day as a filler, we had a few minutes to spare, and now I'm hooked on it again. Watched Ghosts and Germs last night, Water, Maths and Calcium the night before.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (Jubei @ Jun 1 2006, 01:10 PM)
ooh, I've just done episode 7 as well.  Thank god Spiers is the new CO, Dike was a prick. I had a HUGE smile on my face when he did his mad running thing and was nearly crying with happiness.

Ooh, Episode 8 is one of my favourites (I watched it last night) Although Mini-Hanks is a bit crap. Then again that's sort of the point.
Shack
I'm currently working my way through Porridge - Series Three.

It's the series where the judge who convicted Fletcher turns up and it's a bit past it's best. Some good stuff still lurking though, just patchier than it used to be. I've still got Sorry!, Arrested Development Season 1 and something else I've forgotten to plough through as well.

Much easier to access than a film I guess, and if you only fancy a quick episode, you're away.
dandan
'prison break' seems to be getting a lot of hype these days; anybody been watching it? is it any cop?
fatseff1234
QUOTE (dandan @ Jun 1 2006, 01:40 PM)
'prison break' seems to be getting a lot of hype these days; anybody been watching it? is it any cop?

I saw the first few episodes and it seemed quite good but due to it being on at 11 o'clock I stopped watching.
Jubei
I've seen an episode, seemed ok, but no Oz.
rabbit57i
Just rented Dr. Who "Dalek Invasion of Earth". I like the fact that it's got commentary & and info track. I don't understand the CGI though. Sure, you can switch it so that you see the original models, but why bother with the CGI?
fear_of_pop
QUOTE (dandan @ Jun 1 2006, 01:40 PM)

I like it! It's kept my attention MUCH more easily than Lost.
NiteFall
When's the second series of Battlestar Galacvtica getting released on DVD? I need that. Now.
Omniscia
Yeah, me too, although I'm waiting for a full release of Battlestar Galactica season two. I don't much like my programmes being cut in half, and sold to me piece by piece.
NiteFall
It did slightly annoy me that I had to buy the BSG miniseries seperately from the first season proper. But only slightly.
feckless_dykey_prostitute
I'm working through 'The Day Today' at the moment. It's excellent.
Omniscia
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jun 3 2006, 12:38 PM)
It did slightly annoy me that I had to buy the BSG miniseries seperately from the first season proper. But only slightly.

Not here. My box set has the miniseries on the first disc. Although, apparently, they did release a number of sets sans miniseries, for people who had already purchased it.
maian
Currently working my way through the first two seasons of Angel. I'm currently up to 'Five By Five'.
zeden
Had a bit of a gamble when I bought a new dvd the other day. Got 15 storeys high.
Its a sitcom based in a block of flats, written and staring Sean Lock.
I was a bit unsure about Lock, he's always on those pundit shows and never really seemed that funny, but thankfully I needn't have worried.
The show is brilliant. Rather than try to explain the plot heres a link-
BBC
Its in the 5 for £30 at Virgin at the moment so if you've got the cash and are looking for some new comedy in the vein of Peepshow then look no futher.
Ohio_is_for_lovers
In the past few days i have worked through Black Books series 1 and 3, Spaced series 1, Family Guy - series 1, Mighty Boosh - series 1....i have way too much time on my hands.
Hughesie
Both series of Jossy's Giants from eBay. For a tenner. Back of the net, Alan.
Sostie
Just received series 1 & 2 of Nightingales. Now, I have to find time to watch them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.