Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DAWN OF THE DEAD (1978) vs SHAUN OF THE DEAD
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Sostie
It was inevitable wasn't it?

DAWN OF THE DEAD (1978)
The second in Romero's 4 part "Dead Trilogy". Bunch of zombie invasion survivors hole up in a shopping mall and attempt to live in domestic and consumer bliss whilst fending off zombies and bikers.

SHAUN OF THE DEAD
A film some English blokes made. Bunch of zombie invasion survivors hole up in a boozer. A hilarious comedy that deals with the break up of relationships, losing friends and the death of a parent! And hitting big blokes with pool cues. Cool.

Is it that predictable?
maian
It's got to be Dawn.

Shaun is brilliant but it's brilliance is derived from the fact that it owes so much to Romero's work. Dawn works on so many levels; as a horror film, as a zombie movie (since the two aren't necessarily the same), a satire of consumerism, an adventure story and it is all paced so well.

Shaun falls a bit flat in the third act because juggling horror and comedy was always going to be tough and when Shaun shoots his mum and the cast gets decimated then the comedy element does go pretty much out the window. Dawn maintains it's uneasy, always moments away from terror tone throughout and doesn't put a foot wrong.
luvmusic
Dawn best. Shaun not.
feck off!
QUOTE (maian @ Jun 15 2006, 08:59 PM)
It's got to be Dawn.

when Shaun shoots his mum and the cast gets decimated then the comedy element does go pretty much out the window.

Alright, gayyy. (That is what Nick says as the other two take the lift out of the basement, isn't it?)
Stantz
Dawn of the dead
rabbit57i
Of course Dawn for me. I think that maian has done a good job of stating what's so great about it.

Shaun of the Dead is a wonderful, clever movie and I sometimes think it's incredible what a great job Simon & Edgar did. However as far as repeated watchability is concerned, Dawn of the Dead is the one for me. I can't tell you how many times I have watched that movie. And every time that I put it in again, I am surprised how much I love watching it. Shaun just can't hold up to repeated viewings that like, for me.
Rua
Love 'em both but you have to go with Dawn of the Dead.

No Dawn = No Shaun.
Jon 79
Dawn beats Shaun, but it doesn't beat Spaced.
Jumpin Jack Flash
Dawn beats off shaun

Oh my God Poooorn!
Rua
Dawn does Shaun.
maian
QUOTE (feck off! @ Jun 15 2006, 09:10 PM)
Alright, gayyy. (That is what Nick says as the other two take the lift out of the basement, isn't it?)

Though that does raise a chuckle, the rest of that sequence is quite heavy going compared to the gag-heavy first half, and the bit of light relief at the end showing 6 months later only further adds to the disjointedness of the last act of the film. You can still find humour in the final part, it's just overshadowed by the moment when the zombies become a real, credible danger. As opposed to a sort of funny threat that only occasionally becomes a problem.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jun 15 2006, 01:07 PM)
Dawn beats Shaun, but it doesn't beat Spaced.

laugh.gif *hi-fives Jon*

I disagree wholeheartedly about the third act; having the comedy go bye-bye and things get very grim is what elevates the movie for me, frankly. But I voted for Dawn. And so would Simon and Edgar, if they're honest. wink.gif
Jumpin Jack Flash
I voted for Dawn purely becuase of the world it creates. It's a whole universe; hard to explain too.
maian
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Jun 15 2006, 10:29 PM)
laugh.gif  *hi-fives Jon*

I disagree wholeheartedly about the third act; having the comedy go bye-bye and things get very grim is what elevates the movie for me, frankly. But I voted for Dawn

Simon and Edgar would surely vote for Dawn. wink.gif

I don't think that it ruins the film, and I do really like the way that the tone shifts so much so quickly, I just feel that it is so very jarring that it can make things seem really disjointed. If you've seen the film before and expect it, then its quite a masterful bit of work, but on first viewing I found it very disorientating and quite shocking. Though I really loved how shocked I actually was by it all.
Hobbes
*Adds Dawn of the Dead to films list*
mcraigclark
OK, I'll be the first to say it. I voted Shaun. If I'd thought about it a little longer I would have voted for Dawn. I love Shaun, but Dawn is a big reason Shaun exists and it's a great film in its own right.

And I agree with Jon- Spaced takes it all. I also agree with Nic about the third act. I like that it takes a dark turn rather quickly. The shift helps the ending; you feel happier for Shaun and Liz to have made it through and the bit with Ed is that much sweeter for having gone so serious.
Crutch
Dawn of the dead is probably THE zombie-flic. (If you'd say that Night and Dawn are "the same movie.") It's just Night of the living dead with a budget. It's influential, it's cool, it's hard. I personally prefer Night, thought, but that's not the question here. It's just an unfair poll, because Shaun' existence is dependend on the one of Dawn. Edgar is probably a better director than Romero. Whatever.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jun 15 2006, 06:13 PM)
*Adds Dawn of the Dead to films list*

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

I am sick at the thought that you haven't seen it. Okay, okay, you're young of age but at leasta it should have been on your list already.

QUOTE (Crutch @ Jun 15 2006, 07:00 PM)
Edgar is probably a better director than Romero.
Interesting...I won't disagree with you just yet because we really don't have a lot of films by Edgar to make this judgement. Romero's films lately haven't been all that impressive, but his early stuff is just so great. He definitely has a rough style that make everything very realistic.
Omniscia
While Shaun is very dear to me, Dawn easily surpasses it by a country mile, largely for reasons already mentioned by others. It's gripping, well-paced, smartly written and directed, and always perched right on the razor's edge between relative calm and outright horror.

It's fairly humourous in its own right, too. Whether it's zombies getting pies in the face, beer-chuggin' rednecks hunting zombies in the fields, or the kid-in-a-candy-store exuberance displayed when our protagonists enjoy their totally self-indulgent shopping spree, there are plenty of moments that just make you smile. That is, until George has sufficiently lulled us into our false sense of security so the inevitable bloodbath is all the more disturbing.

The Muzak playing in the corridors of the mall is quite delightful, as well.

My choice may well have changed, however, if we were to have polled Dario Argento's cut of Dawn.
Henry Krinkle
I disagree wholeheartedly about the third act; having the comedy go bye-bye and things get very grim is what elevates the movie for me, frankly.

Me too.

But I voted for Dawn.

I didn't.

Although I love Dawn of the Dead, I love Shaun of the Dead that little bit more. You can throw all the genre-defining, breaking-new-ground arguments you like at me, but when push comes to shove I will enjoy watching Shaun more than I will watching Dawn. That's the only way I can compare two films.
dandan
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle)
That's the only way I can compare two films.

you could compare their running times too; that's my usual criteria for judging films.
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (dandan @ Jun 16 2006, 08:40 AM)
QUOTE (Henry Krinkle)
That's the only way I can compare two films.

you could compare their running times too; that's my usual criteria for judging films.

And with that you have shaken not only my comparison system, but also every fundamental belief I hold true, to its very core.

I donít know whatís right and wrong anymore.
Ingram
I went for Shaun of the Dead - RomZomCom, the cream of British comedy, approachable even for someone who doesn't like Zombie films (me), features the people behind my favourite sitcom, rewatchable... generally just a great film. Love it.
Zoe
Shaun.

Now if it had beeb DotD (2004) that would have been a different matter.
Chapman Baxter
While Shaun would not exist without Dawn, I still think Shaun's the better film. I always found Dawn's 'social commentary' rather hamfisted and embarrassing, and a detriment to the film, but Shaun perfectly skewers a type of young urban complacency. The characters are better drawn, and I care much more about their fate.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (feck off! @ Jun 15 2006, 08:10 PM)

Isn't it what he says to Shaun after Shaun say's he loves Liz and taht's why they have to go and rescue her?

Shaun for me. Dawn's good but it ain't that good.
Kick in the Head
Shaun's good and all, and you can moan on about ground-breaking this and paved the way that till the zombies come home, but Dawn was such a thrill when I first saw it when I was about 10 or 11. At that age you're an impressionable youngster, so I showed it too as many of my friends as possible. Machete in the head! Helicopter scalp removal! Arm ripped off mid-blood pressure test! Insane!

I'm sure Shaun will ignite this generation of kids' interests in the undead - but Dawn still amazes to this day, creating a kind of atmosphere few horror films have since equalled.
Jinx
Haven't seen Dawn and so can't submit a vote, but I'm sure it'll be better than Shaun.
ayeyerma
QUOTE (Jinx @ Jun 16 2006, 12:59 PM)
Haven't seen Dawn and so can't submit a vote, but I'm sure it'll be better than Shaun.

Go get it now! It's great. Shaun wouldn't be here without it.
Jon 79
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Jun 16 2006, 02:21 AM)
Interesting...I won't disagree with you just yet because we really don't have a lot of films by Edgar to make this judgement.

You should see A Fistful Of Fingers. ... A fantastic debut.

In my mind, what Romero does for horror, Wright equals it for comedy.
theevilresident101
Yes, SoTD was good but DoTD was such a classic.

Poor Roger McGough! sad.gif
Llama
I voted 'Shaun'.

I'll admit it, I've not seen 'Dawn' so it's not an entirely fair choice... But I've watched 'Shaun' more times than I've watched any other film. I just love it so much. This leads me to believe that it's highly unlikely that I'm going to enjoy 'Dawn' more, even if it is excellent.
feckless_dykey_prostitute
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jun 16 2006, 02:12 PM)
In my mind, what Romero does for horror, Wright equals it for comedy.

I second that.

I voted Shaun. So rewatchable and the audience seems to care about the characters much more. I know Shaun wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Dawn, but the number of times I've watched Shaun can't match Dawn.
Omniscia
And while I do love the characters in Shaun, they do at times seem too sitcom-ish to be real, as opposed to Dawn, whose protagonists, while perhaps not the most realistic ever put on film, do seem to have a slight bit more authenticity.

Granted, that difference is one of the things that makes Shaun so much fun. But it's nice to see "real" people in a zombie film, once in a while.

That said, it's a wonder I didn't like the Dawn remake all that much... Oh, wait, that's right: Running zombies.
mcraigclark
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jun 16 2006, 09:43 PM)
it's a wonder I didn't like the Dawn remake all that much... Oh, wait, that's right: Running zombies.

Ain't that the truth. What a cop-out.
Jon 79
QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Jun 17 2006, 02:59 AM)
Ain't that the truth.† What a cop-out.

...and they changed the rules in the remake. ...No re-animation if they're not bitten! .....
Hmmm .... I think it's got about as much right to be considered a zombie film as 28 days later. biggrin.gif
Crutch
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jun 17 2006, 04:51 PM)
...and they changed the rules in the remake.  ...No re-animation if they're not bitten! ..... 
Hmmm .... I think it's got about as much right to be considered a zombie film as 28 days later.  biggrin.gif

Nah, that's not fair. In Dawn (remake) the dead people are rotting like punks in the mid-eighties. Greatest zombie-make-up ever. Not just these hooligan-guys from 28 days later, who are just a little bit dirty. (I still ove 28 days later thought.)
Sir_Robin_the_brave
The Dawn remake kicks ass.

Despite the many flaws in Dawn of the Dead, it remains a seminal zombie film and therefore trounces Shaun fairly easily.

I do prefer Night of the Living Dead though.
shinyelvenqueen
Shaun beats Dawn...
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Jun 17 2006, 07:21 PM)
I do prefer Night of the Living Dead though.

Deffinately.
Crutch
For once. Seff is right. (Even if his semantics suck ass.)
CazBag
It's Shaun for me. It's something I can watch again and again and guarantee a laugh every time. Dawn's great but perhaps can be a little flat and prolonged at times. I wouldn't want to watch it very often.
thirtyhelens
See, that's the rub on this here poll - it's subjective down the reasons why you voted for something. I voted for Dawn not only because of my personal attachment to it but because it's arguably the seminal zombie film. If we're only going by how it stands up to repeat viewings - then sure, I'm liable to watch Shaun more often. Double plus funny and pretty, pretty Pegg wins out, even over David Emge's masterful spastic zombie walk. laugh.gif
Punkass
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Jun 19 2006, 05:59 PM)
See, that's the rub on this here poll - it's subjective down the reasons why you voted for something.  I voted for Dawn not only because of my personal attachment to it but because it's arguably the seminal zombie film.  If we're only going by how it stands up to repeat viewings - then sure, I'm liable to watch Shaun more often.  Double plus funny and pretty, pretty Pegg wins out, even over David Emge's masterful spastic zombie walk.  laugh.gif

That's my girl.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Punkass @ Jun 19 2006, 09:27 PM)
That's my girl.

wink.gif
ronlogan1977
I`ve plumped for Dawn over Shaun. It`s probably seditious but I reckon the Peggster would have to agree.
luvmusic
Oh, he would, all the while smiling and signing autographs, but he'd be dead inside.
Simsydav
Dawn of the Dead, the original version of course, is one of my all time favourite films. The remake was shite! And I was disapointed by SOTD, as I was told about it by loads of people (who hadnt seen Spaced) how awesome it was, and that it was one of the best - I think they meant funniest - films that year, but when I saw it, I was a bit disapointed that it didnt live up to my expectations (as a result of what my freinds thought of it)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.