Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Edgar + Quentin
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > Spaced: Above and Beyond > Cast Watch
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
thirtyhelens
Seems as though there was a Wright-organized friends 'n' colleagues screening in Londunnydondon recently, which His Buxtonness has blogged about very amusingly HERE.

Bonus points for spot-on Entourage and Sopranos observations, Ad.
AusChick
Cool!
Thanks for posting that Nic.
dolfyn
Dammit! mad.gif I scrolled down & accidentally saw spoilers for the Lost season 3 finale.

Yes, I've stuck with it. rolleyes.gif It takes a lot for me to give up on a TV show or movie part way through.

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wacko.gif
KevinandNick
Nick & I gave up on long-running episodic TV shows a couple o' three years back - it was just after the second or third time they decided to make another season of Stargate SG-1 after claiming it was going to end.

We just thought "life's too short..." wink.gif

Kev W
dolfyn
But TV is my life, Kev. Without it, I have nothing. wink.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif
KevinandNick
We all have our passions - movies are my passion. I know that a lot of people treat movies as minor diversions, but I just adore movies.

As far as TV goes, I mainly just watch Doctor Who and the odd comedy show now and again. There's nothing that I really go out of my way to watch.

Unless there are re-runs of Dirty Sanchez, of course - one of the few things that actually makes me laugh... wink.gif

Kev W
Sir_Robin_the_brave
Having watched Grindhouse via nefarious means last week I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Planet Terror is great shlocky fun and benefits from having a really good cast and some unexpectedly brutal moments mixed in with the more standard scares and jumpy bits (the missing reel bit is brillantly done too)
Death Proof is something of a self indulgent mess but is also fun due to the chases, crashes and some choice moments when the dialogue is spot on. From the fake trailers Machete is wonderful (can't wait to see the proper film, Thanksgiving is stupid but amusingly bloody, Werewolf Women of the SS is fantastic and Don't is hilarious (and very cleverly put together by EW and co)

So, I liked it and I'm quite interested to find out what the extended cuts of the two movies will be like.
KevinandNick
Can anyone confirm if Edgar's "Don't" trailer is attached to the release of Planet Terror on Friday?

I read a review that said trailers WERE attached at a press screening, but exactly WHICH trailers weren't mentioned, though it's pretty obvious that the Machete trailer is going to be included.

Planet Terror is having a comparatively small distribution - none of the Odeons or Cineworlds in my area aren't playing it and I want to be sure that Edgar's trailer IS going to be showing with it to make me travel to see Planet Terror.

Kev W
Sir_Robin_the_brave
I'd imagine that they'll just show the Machete trailer as per the US DVD version of Planet Terror, but I suppose that it could be changed for the UK. I doubt it though.

That wasn't much help, sorry.
Llama
QUOTE (KevinandNick @ Nov 7 2007, 10:35 AM)
Can anyone confirm if Edgar's "Don't" trailer is attached to the release of Planet Terror on Friday?

Harvey Weinstein reckoned so (at about the 2 min mark). But that's as much as I know.
KevinandNick
Nick & I were invited to a cast & crew screening of Edgar's trailer quite a while back, but we weren't able to attend. It would still be nice to catch a big screen showing of it. smile.gif

Kev W
Kick in the Head
Empire's review stated that only Machete was attached, specifically stating it was an odd decision to deprive the UK of Edgar Wright's trailer.

Bum.
KevinandNick
Then I'll be f****d if I'm trudging all the way over to Bluewater to watch it...

Kev W
AusChick
Great news for Melbournites!

I've just found out that the wonderful Astor Theatre will be playing Grindhouse "as it was meant to be seen" from March 20 to March 30 next year.

(hopefully this means with the trailers too - fingers crossed)

Sooooo... who's up for a Melbourne meet in March then?
(and no I wont be going into the gents this time either) tongue.gif
Peronel
I'm there, if we can make it a weekend night as I have to travel.
AusChick
Yeah weekend's better anyway.

Looks like it will be over the Easter weekend and also the weekend after that.
dolfyn
QUOTE (AusChick @ Dec 22 2007, 03:53 PM)

I've just found out that the wonderful Astor Theatre will be playing Grindhouse "as it was meant to be seen"  from March 20 to March 30 next year.

(hopefully this means with the trailers too - fingers crossed)
Sooooo...  who's up for a Melbourne meet in March then?
(and no I wont be going into the gents this time either)  tongue.gif

Hmmmm. I'm tempted, just for the fun of a Melbourne meet, but I don't know if I want to sit through both movies. Of the two, I'm more interested in Deathproof (& of course seeing Edgar's brilliantly twisted trailer on the big screen). happy.gif Well, I guess I've got a while to think it over.

God bless the Astor, hey? cool.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
biggrin.gif
AusChick
Maybe you can flush some cake while we're watching Planet Terror? wink.gif
Omniscia
QUOTE (dolfyn @ Dec 24 2007, 10:17 AM)
Hmmmm. I'm tempted, just for the fun of a Melbourne meet, but I don't know if I want to sit through both movies. Of the two, I'm more interested in Deathproof...

To quote the aforementioned trailer: Don't!

Death Proof is 12.5% action, 12.5% Tarantino self-love, and the other 75% is little more than a boring-as-hell yak-a-thon.

Planet Terror, on the other hand, is non-stop, over-the-top, gory-as-hell, grin-inducing, high-octane excitement. It's probably the most fun zombie gorefest* since Peter Jackson's Braindead.

*I do not include SOTD in this category.
whitey
To be honest I like Death Proof for what it is, a pastiche in every respect, script included (most of the exploitation flicks I've seen are tedious talkathons with bits of sensationalist gore/action/sleaze tacked on). Unfortunately it suffers horrendously by being paired with Planet Terror which is never less than massively entertaining. Where Tarantino used the conventions of shitty old B Movies in a completely cosmetic fashion, Rodriguez uses them in genuinely original and creative ways to enhance mood, drive action and in one hilarious instance push the story forwards. It's the best film I've seen in years and a lot of good movies would suffer from direct comparison.
AusChick
This is interesting stuff to know.

I'm really going into it with the idea of the whole "experience" of it, rather than the two individual films - but I may have a different view once I've actually seen it all.
dolfyn
QUOTE (AusChick @ Dec 25 2007, 10:11 AM)
Maybe you can flush some cake while we're watching Planet Terror?† wink.gif

hehehehee! laugh.gif It's a possibility, Sis. happy.gif
From Omniscia's description of Planet Terror, though, you might be running to the loo for a different reason! (Squeemish!!) wink.gif

I must say, my curiosity is being piqued, though. I guess I have about 3 months to decide, hey? smile.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
biggrin.gif
AusChick
QUOTE (dolfyn @ Dec 27 2007, 10:03 AM)
From Omniscia's description of Planet Terror, though, you might be running to the loo for a different reason! (Squeemish!!)  wink.gif

For some reason gore doesn't tend to make me pukey (just makes me cover my eyes - as I'm sure you can attest to!)

Blood is one of the bodily fluids/excretia that I have the least issues with.
Crap, vomit and snot are far worse.

There's something wrong with me isn't there?
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (whitey @ Dec 25 2007, 01:03 AM)
To be honest I like Death Proof for what it is, a pastiche in every respect, script included (most of the exploitation flicks I've seen are tedious talkathons with bits of sensationalist gore/action/sleaze tacked on). Unfortunately it suffers horrendously by being paired with Planet Terror which is never less than massively entertaining. Where Tarantino used the conventions of shitty old B Movies in a completely cosmetic fashion, Rodriguez uses them in genuinely original and creative ways to enhance mood, drive action and in one hilarious instance push the story forwards. It's the best film I've seen in years and a lot of good movies would suffer from direct comparison.

I totally agree, Planet Terror is terrific, shlocky fun and probably my favourite film of this year. I can't fail to love any movie that kills off the ever annoying Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas in an extremely messy fashion, within the first fifteen minutes.
AusChick
What is "horrow" anyway?
dolfyn
QUOTE (AusChick @ Dec 27 2007, 10:26 PM)
There's something wrong with me isn't there?

Yes, there is.

But that's why you fit in so well here! biggrin.gif wink.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
happy.gif
shaft_the_ewok
The Prince Charles in London is showing both films, however they're only the individual releases at separate times with no trailers, alas.

Does anyone know if there is a region one release of the unedited Grindhouse films? I'd like to snap up that with the region one 3 disc Hot Fuzz.

P.s. I'm jealous of you Melbourne-ites...
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (shaft_the_ewok @ Jan 3 2008, 07:25 AM)
Does anyone know if there is a region one release of the unedited Grindhouse films? I'd like to snap up that with the region one 3 disc Hot Fuzz.

If you mean the full US theatrical presentation w/ all trailers intact, no. The current releases are extended versions of both features, but they are only available seperately. (I believe they're the same cuts as the UK theatrical releases.)

See HERE for potential news of a comprehensive Japanese 6-disc edition which will, of course, likely cost more than putting three kids through college.
dolfyn
QUOTE (shaft_the_ewok @ Jan 4 2008, 02:25 AM)
P.s. I'm jealous of you Melbourne-ites...

That's a first! laugh.gif Usually we're the ones moaning about missing out on some event or other. rolleyes.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
happy.gif
Heff
QUOTE (AusChick @ Dec 21 2007, 08:53 PM)
Who are actually in Melbourne! Count me in as one for the 'jealous' pile.
I saw Deathproof at (the) Drive-In cinema in Coburg, and was bored by the parts that weren't boring - and thoroughly entertained by the entertaining parts (kicker of a soundtrack). But the accounts of Planet Terror have cetainly tickled my interest. I'm not sure how I would compare the two films.
One Film.
Two (in)dependent films.
One Film split in 2.
Um.
KevinandNick
Grindhouse IS going to be playing in the UK. The BBFC have recently passed it.

It'll be nice if the Grindhouse version is released on DVD over here...

Kev W
Miss Shazam
BBFC? As in BBC?

AMY XXX biggrin.gif
Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (Miss Shazam @ Jan 17 2008, 01:34 PM)
BBFC?

The British Board of Film Classification
KevinandNick
There has been a strong rumour that Grindhouse (as it was released theatrically) will be released on DVD in the US later this year.

It would certainly make for a cheaper alternative to getting it from Japan.

Kev W
CazBag
Edgar will be hosting a special screening on 8th March in London. Get your tickets now good people!
Raven
QUOTE (CazBag @ Feb 13 2008, 10:18 AM)

(No bad people are allowed).
CazBag
QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 13 2008, 10:20 AM)
(No bad people are allowed).

Absolutely not. People will be vetted prior to admittance. You have been warned.
KevinandNick
QUOTE (CazBag @ Feb 13 2008, 10:23 AM)
Absolutely not.  People will be vetted prior to admittance.  You have been warned.

Oh dear - that would mean that I'd be buggered from the start... laugh.gif

Kev W
Sostie
Will there be special cut of Grindhouse with just the trailers, Planet Terror and the Dave Dee Dozy Beeky Mick & Titch and April March bits from Death Proof. I might be able to sit through it all again if it was that version.
Kick in the Head
Just tried phoning the Prince Charles Cinema, and they said that the event hasn't been put on the system yet, but should be either on Friday or Saturday, so to try calling then instead.
CazBag
Check out the Grindhouse Bunnies!

This is fantastic!
dolfyn
^ That is friggin' hilarious! laugh.gif

And they just keep going, one movie after another. I can't stop watching. happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
biggrin.gif
AusChick
I've always loved those movies in 30 seconds with bunnies.
I haven't watched the Grindhouse one yet though. I'm waiting to see it done with humans first tongue.gif

Also, I just noticed that this thread no longer says "horrow"
Miss Shazam
QUOTE (AusChick @ Feb 28 2008, 11:34 PM)
I've always loved those movies in 30 seconds with bunnies.

I've been watching them for years, I think the first one I saw was Jaws (very funny), but the new ones are really good too.

AMY XXX biggrin.gif
AusChick
Alright Melbourne folks - it's all on!

Friday 28th of March at the Astor.
Yeah Boiiiiiiiiiii! cool.gif

AusChick
Good news on the Grindhouse front for UK folks...

GRINDHOUSE (and DONíT!) TOURS THE UK

You asked for it, you got it.

Finally UK fans get to see GRINDHOUSE in all its double bill glory.

Details below.

"GRINDHOUSE and Edgarís "Donít" Trailer To Hit UK Cinemas From Friday 28th March!

GRINDHOUSE will finally be making it to UK cinema screens from Friday 28th March, on one-offs and late night shows.

The first set of confirmed venues is below:

UK GRINDHOUSE TOUR - FROM 28TH MARCH

Curzon Soho Midnight Movies - Friday 28 March - SOLD OUT
Prince Charles Cinema London - From Saturday 29 March
Ritzy Brixton - From Friday 28 March
Everyman Hampstead - 30 March
Grosvenor Glasgow - 28 & 29 March
Cinema City Norwich - 28-30 March & 3 April
Odeon Manchester Printworks - From Friday 28 March
Odeon Basingstoke - 28 & 29 March
Odeon Cardiff - 28 & 29 March
Odeon Dundee - 28 & 29 March
Odeon Dunfermline - 28 & 29 March
Odeon Kingston - 28 & 29 March
Odeon Lee Valley - 28 & 29 March
Odeon Leicester - 28 & 29 March
Odeon Norwich - 28 & 29 March
Odeon Southampton - 28 & 29 March
Odeon Surrey Quays - 28 & 29 March
Vue Acton - 28 & 29 March
Vue Birmingham Star City - 28 & 29 March
Vue Bristol Cribbs - 28 & 29 March
Vue Cheshire Oaks - 28 & 29 March
Vue Croydon Purley Way - 28 & 29 March
Vue Finchley North - 28 & 29 March
Vue Finchley Road - 28 & 29 March
Vue Fulham - 28 & 29 March
Vue Greenwich - 28 & 29 March
Vue Islington - 28 & 29 March
Vue Leeds Light - 28 & 29 March
Vue Leicester - 28 & 29 March
Vue Plymouth - 28 & 29 March
Vue Portsmouth - 28 & 29 March
Vue Reading - 28 & 29 March
Vue Romford - 28 & 29 March
Vue Shepherds Bush - 28 & 29 March
Vue Swansea - 28 & 29 March
Empire Basildon - 28 & 29 March
Empire Newcastle - 28 & 29 March
Showcase Bristol - From Friday 28 March
Showcase Manchester - From Friday 28 March

More screenings/venues to follow.

More info at Empire Online & Frightfest. co. uk!"

And I would also like to remind anyone in or around Melbourne, Australia that Grindhouse is screening properly NOW at The Astor Theatre until 30th of March!

I'm going next Friday 28th.

EXCLUSIVE PREMIERE SEASON

GRINDHOUSE poster - select for larger image
GRINDHOUSE [MA 15+]

Thursday, March 20 to Sunday, March 30

Tarantino's and Rodriguez's homage to the trashy drive-in and "grindhouse" double features of the 1970s. Grindhouse was a term reserved for down-at-heel movie theatres that showed D-grade, drive-in-style films, usually with continuous sessions.

The two features are Planet Terror and Death Proof

This EXCLUSIVE presentation is shown exactly as the original version was intended, complete with trailers, "scratches" and intermission. (Scratches are a real-film treat for the DVD-jaded generation.)

A DVD release of the full version is NOT planned. So, here's your chance to finally see this special presentation, on the SuperScreen, in a real-life (but not down-at-heel), double-feature movie palace - The Astor Theatre.

The EXCLUSIVE season will run from Thursday, March 20 to Sunday, March 30.

Session times (including the holiday weekend):

Sundays & Saturdays - 2 PM and 7:30 PM
Monday to Friday - 7:30 PM
dolfyn
^ Woo hoo! I'll be there. biggrin.gif

(The Melbourne one, not the UK ones.) wink.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
cool.gif
KevinandNick
I'll be popping along to the Chatham screening and giving a drunken cheer when my dear brother pops up during Edgar's trailer. smile.gif

Kev W
dolfyn
We'll be cheering for you, Kev. wink.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
cool.gif
AusChick
Count on it!

It's going to be a wonderfully geeky weekend.
Grindhouse on Friday night followed by SupaNova on Saturday

W00t!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.