Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What'd you buy, hombre?
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Music
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
maian
The White Stripes-Icky Thump
My Bloody Valentine-Loveless
Kings of Leon-Because of the Times
The Knife-Silent Shout
theevilresident101
The Clash - The Singles
Sostie
QUOTE (Ade @ Jun 26 2007, 12:51 PM)
I'd be interested to know what you think of the Pigeon Detectives...

QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jun 26 2007, 01:34 PM)
pigeons and mumm-ra are both good bands, mumm-ra's album being the better of the two. really really good album.

the pigeon detectives' album is good if you like their sound, but it's pretty samey.

On first impressions neither are doing anything new or that exciting, but both CDs are a pretty good listen. Good guitar based pop songs that I wouldn't skip if they came up on my iPod. Glad I bought them.
Sostie
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 26 2007, 12:16 PM)
Enter Shikari - Take To The Skies (hated everything I've heard by them so far, but sooooo cheap I thought I'd give it a proper listen)

Listened to it this morning. It's a joke right? Hilariously bad. Actually, just fucking awful.
rabbit57i
Brand new Beastie Boys - In The Mix.

Funky instrumental goodness.
Kick in the Head
More rentals and such...

10-Feet - Realife
Buffalo Daughter - I
Lily Chou-Chou - 呼吸 (recent talk of the film made me want to listen, and it's actually a great album in it's own right)
Mondo Grosso - Best
OOIOO - COCOCOOOIOO
The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers
Radiohead - OK Computer
Sketch Show - Audio Sponge (from 2/3 of YMO)
SOIL AND "PIMP" SESSIONS - Pimpoint
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
The White Stripes - Elephant and White Blood Cells
Cornelius - FM (remixes of Fantasma from the likes of Damon Albarn, U.N.K.L.E. and High Llamas - but not that exciting)
Salon Music - Girls At Our Trattoria Best!
Flipper's Guitar - Doctor Head's World Tower
Thee Michelle Gun Elephant - High Time
Stella MM
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 28 2007, 09:24 AM)
Listened to it this morning.  It's a joke right?  Hilariously bad.  Actually, just fucking awful.

Hurray!
Omniscia
Picked up the new Symphony X album, "Paradise Lost," today.

Also ordered the new Dream Theater album; the special edition with the 5.1 mix.
jem
lily allen - alright, still

i just really like her voice...

sam roberts - we were born in a flame

needed to replace my old one...

the doors - waiting for the sun

i really like this disc. contains my 2 favorite doors songs, my wild love and hello, i love you.
Baz
Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgiest

I've waited so long for this album and it's been worth the wait, it fucking rocks! Corgan is back to his best in a long time and I really really hope they tour the UK at some point.
Sostie
QUOTE (Baz @ Jul 2 2007, 07:37 AM)

I really really hope they tour the UK at some point.

I think they just had. I know they played London a week or so ago.
Lazlo Woodbine
I just bought 'Reservations' by 'Sodastream' on ebay before realising i don't actually have an address for it to be sent to...
Ade
Sarah Nixey - 'Sing, Memory'
Fujiya Miyagi - 'Transparent Things'
Ben Westbeech - 'Welcome To The Best Years Of Your Life'
Tomoyasu Hotei - 'Doberman'
Tomoyasu Hotei - 'Scorpio Rising'
Echaskech - 'Skechbook'
Chateau Flight - 'The Meal'
Chateau Flight - 'Puzzle'
Baz
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 2 2007, 09:37 AM)
I think they just had.  I know they played London a week or so ago.

Did they? I was looking on their tour page and didn't see any dates.
Sostie
QUOTE (Baz @ Jul 3 2007, 07:40 AM)
Did they? I was looking on their tour page and didn't see any dates.

I'm sure there was a review for them at Shepherd's Bush in NME over the last couple of weeks.
Wife Of Rolex
Silent Shout (Limited Deluxe Edition) - The Knife
Oh My Gosh - Man Like Me
Quicksand Memory EP - Ulrich Schnauss

The Ulrich Schnauss ep was a pleasent little surprise as it's the first time I've seen anything of his in my local HMV. I've not even seen his stuff in the central London stores. His latest album was there too, but I didn't have enough pennies. I shall just have to hope it's still there next week.

Wife Of Rolex
Sostie
Hace you ever bought a CD on the basis of the title alone...just to see what it is like. Today I picked up, for a few pennies...

Kunt & The Gang - I Have Another Wank And I Have Another Cry.

It's on the Disco Minge Records label. Maybe I should have soent the money on gum or something.
Ade
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 4 2007, 10:44 PM)
Hace you ever bought a CD on the basis of the title alone...just to see what it is like. 

Don't think I ever have, but I think it sounds like fantastic purchase criteria. I might try it next time I go trawling for CDs.

Your above purchase is a fine example. biggrin.gif
maian
I remember it got a few good reviews when it was release and I was tempted to buy it. I'd be interested in what you have to say about it, Sostie.
Hobbes
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 4 2007, 09:44 PM)
Hace you ever bought a CD on the basis of the title alone...just to see what it is like.  Today I picked up, for a few pennies...

Kunt & The Gang - I Have Another Wank And I Have Another Cry.

It's on the Disco Minge Records label.  Maybe I should have soent the money on gum or something.

quite frankly, lol.

my friend once bought a cd solely because the band were called deadboy and the elephantmen and he really likes it. maybe the name is a reflection of the music. if this is so in the above case, don't hold your breath.
Sostie
Well Kunt & The Gang turn out to be one man and an organ (oo-er). Didn't listen to the CD but some tracks on his MySpace page. Imagine John Shuttleworth with tourettes. It's quite puerile..and at times very funny...if you want to hear a man sing about Carol Vorderman touching "his brown" that is.
zeden
Got my copy of Ki-Zu-Na by Orange Range the other day.
It only has four tracks on it...I'm sure it had more listed on the site I bought it from.
Not bad, but not as distinct or original as the other tracks I've heard from them. A mix of light melodies and soft lyrics make for pleasant listening, but I was hoping for something a little more out there.
Sostie
Guitar Wolf - Dead Rock
Chemical Brothers - We Are Cosmic
Visage - The Damned Don't Cry
Various - The Material Girl: A Tribute To Madonna
Babybird - Between My Ears There Is Nothing But Music
Pulp - Separations
Pulp - Primal...
Various - Sorted
Throwing Muses - In A Doghouse
Cabaret Voltaire - Mix-Up
Human League - Reproduction
The Who - A Quick One
Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear
Heff
QUOTE (Baz @ Jul 2 2007, 05:37 PM)

I've waited so long for this album and it's been worth the wait, it fucking rocks!
That's great news! It's released in Australia in the next few weeks, I'll be getting my hot little hands all over it.
In the meantime, I got The Who - Who's Next (deluxe edition).
Kirstie
Recently obtained some of the Maison Kitsune compilantion albums. It's all cracking stuff, there are some good bands on the label like Whitey, Dragonette, Palermo Disko Machine and Riot In Belgium to name but a few.
Ade
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 5 2007, 02:34 PM)
Imagine John Shuttleworth with tourettes.

laugh.gif

That is reason enough for me to want to make an investment.
Heff
Interpol - Our Love To Admire
Dropkick Murphys - Live on St. Patrick's Day
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - Source Tags & Codes (2nd hand)
Jeff Buckley - Skectches for My Sweetheart The Drunk (2nd hand)

It's been an up-and-down kind of weekend.
zeden
Received Koi No Mega Lova by Maximum The Hormone in the post this weekend and thankfully this gamble with J-Rock has paid off.
It's a fast paced mix I can only describe as System of a Down cross bred with some light funky J-Pop. Not a combo that would inspire me to listen if I read it, but the seamless mix of the two styles is so perfect it boggles the mind. Ranging from high pitched and paced choruses to heavy, gore laden verses to ritualistic sounding chanting this band transcends a simple genre label and in four tracks outshines the entire output of many Western bands.
At 10 it's not cheap, I'd normally balk at the prospect of paying that for a mere four songs, but it is a perfect gateway into the J-Rock scene and the mad wonders it harbors.
Hightly recomended. 9/10
Baz
QUOTE (Heff @ Jul 9 2007, 04:53 AM)

Got the new Interpol album today and it's fab. what did you think of it?
Kirstie
QUOTE (Heff @ Jul 9 2007, 04:53 AM)

QUOTE (Baz @ Jul 9 2007, 02:15 PM)
Got the new Interpol album today and it's fab. what did you think of it?

Snaps. I bought it yesterday after three years of waiting for it and, although it's no different in terms of direction, they sound a lot more polished and they're as moody as ever.

It's not as good as 'Turn On The Bright Lights', though.
Sostie
New Young Pony Club - Fantatstic Playroom
Various - Alright, This Time, Just The Girls
Felt - Let The Snakes Crinkle Their Heads To Death
Various - Where The Bad Boys Rock 3
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Baby 81
Various - Pop! Justice
Various - How Many Bands Does It Take To Screw Up A Blondie Tribute
The Rubinoos - Anthology

The Cramps vinyl bootlegs:
Tales From The Cramps
Persecuted Prophets With B-Movie Souls
Songs The Lord Might Have Taught Us
New Kind Of Kick
Werwoeleen After Dark

And ordered from the States:

ROCKET FROM THE CRYPT - CIRCA NOW
BANANA ERECTORS- BANANA ERECTORS
THEE HEADCOATEES- PUNK GIRLS
THEE HEADCOATEES- SISTERS OF SUAVE
APRIL MARCH - SINGS THE SONGS OF THE MAKERS
maian
Interpol-Our Love To Admire
Heff
QUOTE (Baz & Kirstie & Sostie & maian)
Interpol
Bit of a trend goin on... we have good taste.
QUOTE (Kirstie)
although it's no different in terms of direction, they sound a lot more polished and they're as moody as ever.
I concur. As far as direction goes, it's like TOTBL -> 2 steps forward -> Antics -> 1 step back -> Our Love To Admire. It's the missing link between their first two albums. That's not a bad thing, but Antics was quite a departure (sort of) and I was almost anticipating another 2 steps forward. Not to worry; it's still a top album (but why didn't they put the track titles on the back! That always shits me). And even though it's spelled the American way, The Heinrich Maneuver kicks 7 kinds of arse (or ass)
grave_robin
QUOTE (Heff @ Jul 11 2007, 03:52 AM)
I concur. As far as direction goes, it's like TOTBL -> 2 steps forward -> Antics -> 1 step back -> Our Love To Admire. It's the missing link between their first two albums. That's not a bad thing, but Antics was quite a departure (sort of) and I was almost anticipating another 2 steps forward. Not to worry; it's still a top album (but why didn't they put the track titles on the back! That always shits me). And even though it's spelled the American way, The Heinrich Maneuver kicks 7 kinds of arse (or ass)

Ah, my favourite band of this decade are back.

It's definitely business as usual, but there is a tiny of bit progression there, particularly in final track "The Lighthouse", which almost has a Ennio Morricone feel to it. Really unexpected, but it's gorgeous. The opener "Pioneer to the Falls" is wonderful, I can't stop listening to it, major goosebump material and I'm thinking at the moment it's possibly the best track they've ever done. It's an accumulation of everything that I love about Interpol.

It's hard to judge an Interpol album so soon, it needs time to appreciate. As has been said, it's no TOTBL, (I doubt they'll ever match it), but it's a very solid album. There aren't many bands of this type around these days who can stay pretty much consistent over three albums and not become boring.* Roll on November, when I get to see them live again in Blackpool.

*(though as my avatar will betray, I may be a wee bit biased...)
Sostie
QUOTE (grave_robin @ Jul 11 2007, 10:19 AM)
Ah, my favourite band of this decade are back.

It's definitely business as usual,

So am I the only one that found it a little bit, well, dull. I think for me it may need repeated listens.
maian
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 11 2007, 01:26 PM)
So am I the only one that found it a little bit, well, dull.  I think for me it may need repeated listens.

I listened to it last night and got a similar impression. It's not terrible but they don't seem to be doing anything all that interesting.

However, I didn't like either of their previous albums on first listen so this one'll probably grow on me as well.
Sostie
QUOTE (maian @ Jul 11 2007, 04:30 PM)
I listened to it last night and got a similar impression. It's not terrible but they don't seem to be doing anything all that interesting.

However, I didn't like either of their previous albums on first listen so this one'll probably grow on me as well.

I've given it three listens now and still doing nothing for me. Maybe I feel a little let down as it is no real departure from the previous two CDs. I'll stick with it as, like you, the earlier CDs were not, completely, instant "grabbers", but I'm not holding out much hope.
maian
It does feel like too much of a retread of their first album but without the rawness that made some of the tracks special. It all feels a bit too polished and clean. Admittedly their second album was like that as well but at least then they tried out new things to justify it.
rabbit57i
bigfatrich
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Jul 12 2007, 03:39 PM)

Contender for "Greatest opening album track" right there!

The last three albums I bought (by bigfatrich aged 31 and 3/4)

Dizzee Rascal - Maths & English
A lot harder than his previous albums as it uses a lot more "rock" elements. Sirens is a good example of this. Perhaps it's even more an Old Skool hip-hop album as there are elements Bomb Squad production, I think.

I think I prefer Showtime, but this needs a few listens to get into. Worth a go.

Sunn o))) - White2
After having been blown away be "Black One", I was really looking forward to this one. I wasn't disappointed! Only 3 tracks on the album but it has a running time of over an hour. About 3BPM, drone and feedback dominate. However, there is a more reflective and, dare I say it, melodic side being shown on this record: bassAliens sounds like the soundtrack to the most pant-filling zombie film never made.

The Field - From Here We Go Sublime
I can't remember if this was recommended by someone from here or if it was an Amazon "people who bought this also bought..." choice. However I got to it, I'm happy.

It's a super nice peice of electronic nonsense. Kind of like early Moby mixed with Apex Twin's more ambient moments. It could be classed as repetitive, but after a few of whatever makes you happy, you're not going to care.
Kirstie
Hot Chip - The Warning
Quantic - Apricot Morning
Bent - Programmed To Love
The Presets - Beams
jem
two bands i saw saw play live yesturday:
the fugitives - in streetlight communion
bitch - make this/break this
jem
i cant edit anymore so sorry for the double post.

i really like the fugitives cd. it's a really cool mix of folk, rock 'n' roll, and spoken word. not quite as good as they are live but good.

i am really disappointed by the bitch cd. i really liked her live but the disc feels empty... if that makes sense.
sarkybarker
Smashing Pumkins - Zeitgeist.

Old bands reforming can be a good thing
Sostie
The Enemy - We'll Live & Die In These Towns
Poppy & The Jezebels - Follow Me Down
The Wonder Stuff - Live At The BBC
Omniscia
I was dragged into Wal-Mart against my will this evening, but I left with Devo's "Greatest Hits" and Ozzy's "Blizzard of Ozz" for a grand total of $14 or so, so it wasn't a total loss.
Baz
QUOTE (sarkybarker @ Jul 15 2007, 10:38 PM)
Smashing Pumkins - Zeitgeist.

Old bands reforming can be a good thing

It's such a good album.

Korn - Untitled
Great album and bang on form for the 3 remaining members.
Omniscia
Bought a simple, brief, no-frills Blood, Sweat & Tears hits compilation for $5 yesterday. It only has 10 songs on it, but they're all album-length cuts, rather than radio edits, and the sound quality is surprisingly rich.
Nonus Aequilibrium
Mastodon - Leviathan
Sostie
Holly Golightly - Singles Round-Up
The Adverts - Crossing The Red Sea With...
Lo Fidelity Allstars - Warming Up The Brain Farm:Best Of + Remixes
Ulrich Schnauss - Goodbye
Marilyn Manson - Eat Me, Drink Me
Queens Of The Stoneage - Era Vulgaris
Battles - Mirrored
Asobi Seksu - Citrus
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.