Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shrek and the The Pointless Third Sequel
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
!TT!
Recently I heard of the most uncalled for sequel ever: Shrek the third . I wont spoil the story for you if you actually want to see this monstrosity of a flick , but I ask you this... do you have a least favorite sequel? and what sequel would you like to see? personally id like to see RUSH HOUR 3. What about you?
Jumpin Jack Flash
Indiana Jones, Rocky, Die Hard and Rambo.

Oh well.
Raven
I heard some casting news on Shrek III the other day and thought it sounded quite good. The last one was an improvement on the first, I don't see why another can't be good as well.

I'd like to see a sequel to Serenity (just thought I'd get in there first with that one!).
purple prole
My least favourite happens to be the sequel to my favourite ever film. I can't express how poorly concieved Blues Brothers 2000 was. To this day I'm still amazed they made it. It's nothing but an insult to the memory of John Belushi. I hope he's up there in the afterlife somewhere, waiting to give Dan Aykroyd and John Landis a bloody good kicking when they arrive.
maian
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 17 2006, 06:36 PM)
I heard some casting news on Shrek III the other day and thought it sounded quite good.  The last one was an improvement on the first, I don't see why another can't be good as well.

Ian McShane should be good in it. Though if they can't push ''that cocksucking ogre'' past the censors than I will be sorely disappointed.

Favourite sequel would have to be The Empire Strikes Back, least favourite would be PotC: Dead Man's Chest. Well, that's the one that is freshest in my mind anyway.
Zoe
'Shrek 2' is a bit pile of shit.
Ade
I didn't think is was quite that bad.
Zoe
It's worse.
Ade
Nah.
maian
I thought that it was good, not great. The new characters were hit-and-miss (Puss: Yay! Godmother: Boo!) but it didn't really add much to the previous, though I thought that they made the right move trying to go for a different style of humour; out with the fairytale parodies and in with broader themes. I doubt that they could have kept the same vein of humour of the first film and done it well.

Toy Story III strikes me as an unnecessary sequel, though I'm not discounting it. If the proposed Disney-only version had gone ahead then it would have been dire and an affront to the genius of the first two*, but if Pixar ever get round to making it then it'll probably be good.
Zoe
'Toy Story 2' is rubbish, not as rubbish as 'Shrek 2' which is really, really rubbish, but still rubbish.
Llama
I didn't like Shrek 2 at all either. But I think that may have been because the group of people I hung around with at the time hyped it up so much before I saw it and constantly quoted so when I finally did see it, I was tremendously let down and only laughed properly once.
maian
Right, don't know what happened there...

QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 17 2006, 08:13 PM)
'Toy Story 2' is rubbish, not as rubbish as 'Shrek 2' which is really, really rubbish, but still rubbish.

I resisted putting ''Yes Zoe, we know you hated the sequel'' at the end of my post in the hope that you would let it lie. Oh well.

It is as good as if not better than the original.
Zoe
Subjectivity strikes again!

Why wouldn't I mention that I think it's rubbish? This is a thread about sequels you dislike and I dislike that one - oooh a 'Star Wars' parody how original!

Admittedly it's no where near the cynical marketing exercise of 'Shrek 2', but it's still heavy on the merchandising low on creativity.
maian
But it's got such a strong central theme of abandonment and the end of childhood. It's a sad story and, though it's stretched a bit thin, it holds together quite well.
Sean of the Dead
Men In Black II is a terrible film, let alone a terrible sequel. It made me cry a little inside...

And I really liked Toy Story II, I'd say why but I'm sure maian's points will be more valuble than mine.
Zoe
Not in my opinion.

Anyway sequels I dislike (where I have liked the predecessors):

Shrek 2, Toy Story 2, PotC 2, Scream 3, Matrix 3 (Reloaded is so so), Ocean's 12, Look Who's Talking Now, Miss Congeniality 2, Batman 4, Superman 4, Men in Black 2... that'll do for now.
maian
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 17 2006, 08:34 PM)
Not in my opinion.

Anyway sequels I dislike (where I have liked the predecessors):

Shrek 2, Toy Story 2, PotC 2, Scream 3, Matrix 3 (Reloaded is so so), Ocean's 12, Look Who's Talking Now, Miss Congeniality 2, Batman 4, Superman 4, Men in Black 2... that'll do for now.

Just how bad is Miss Congeniality 2? I liked the first one but couldn't bear to see any film named ''Armed and Fabulous''.
Zoe
Oh it's terrible and there's no Benjamin Bratt or Michael Caine.
thirtyhelens
EW had Staying Alive at the top of their recent 25 worst list, and I can't say I blame them one bit.

That kind of badness is really almost like poetry, though.
maian
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 17 2006, 08:37 PM)
Oh it's terrible and there's no Benjamin Bratt or Michael Caine.

Caine was what made the first film for me. Brett was good as well but it was quite good to see Caine being in something quite different from what most people would expect to see him in.
Zoe
There are also no jokes in thes sequel.
maian
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 17 2006, 08:52 PM)
There are also no jokes in thes sequel.

A model that a lot of mainstream American comedies seem to follow these days.
Ghost_862
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 17 2006, 05:36 PM)
I heard some casting news on Shrek III the other day and thought it sounded quite good.  The last one was an improvement on the first, I don't see why another can't be good as well.

Because it has Justin Timberlake in it.

That irritates me on two levels.

One; he's just an irritating, talentless prick.

Two; it's quite obvious that his girlfriend/substitute mum, Cameron Diaz, must have just pulled strings to get him the part when it could have gone to somebody else who had a dick/spine/brain etc.
maian
QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ Jul 17 2006, 09:27 PM)
Because it has Justin Timberlake in it.

That irritates me on two levels.

One; he's just an irritating, talentless prick.

Two; it's quite obvious that his girlfriend/substitute mum, Cameron Diaz, must have just pulled strings to get him the part when it could have gone to somebody else who had a dick/spine/brain etc.

Haven't they just broken up? That would be an awkward time to record lines.

Just had a look at the imdb page for Shrek The Third and signs are not good for the script. Between them the writers have only made US comedies like Last Holiday; amiable, braod humoured, funny in places but not hysterical films that tend to get a bit too sappy.They may manage something here but it looks too much like Shrek by committee. The directors are different as well, which doesn't bode well.
Zoe
I bet Justin has a big dick.
Ghost_862
It would probably be quicker and easier to name good sequels than bad ones, because there's too many bad ones to choose from and so few good ones that we'd probably fit them all in five pages.

BAD sequels:

Scream 3. Toy Story 2. Batman and Robin. Batman Forever. Charlie's Angels 2 (whatever it was called.. the first oe was shit as well which makes the sequel even more upsetting). Home Alone 4. Son Of The Mask. Dumber and Dumberer. American Pie 2. American Pie 3. They should have even made American Pie 1... assholes. I Still Know What You Did Last Summer. Every Halloween sequel. Ditto @ Nightmare On Elm Street. All three Star Wars prequels (I know they're not sequels but pffft).

They're making Mrs Doubtfire 2. This can only spell trouble.

Sequels I would like to see.. Can't wait for Pirates of the Caribbean: World's End. Whatever sequel they pump out to Batman Begins could be very good. Rush Hour 3 would be good.

There's probably a lot more under each category but I'm lazy.
maian
QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ Jul 17 2006, 09:45 PM)
BAD sequels:

Scream 3. Toy Story 2. Batman and Robin. Batman Forever. Charlie's Angels 2 (whatever it was called.. the first oe was shit as well which makes the sequel even more upsetting). Home Alone 4. Son Of The Mask. Dumber and Dumberer. American Pie 2. American Pie 3. They should have even made American Pie 1... assholes. I Still Know What You Did Last Summer. Every Halloween sequel. Ditto @ Nightmare On Elm Street. All three Star Wars prequels (I know they're not sequels but pffft).
They're making Mrs Doubtfire 2. This can only spell trouble.

I'd forgotten there was a fourth Home Alone. I saw the third one (was that the one with Russian gangsters or something?) and lost even the tiny amount of interest I had had before.

The third Nightmare on Elm Street was quite good, I thought. Certainly better than the awful second, and they never exactly got out of the spiral. Though Freddy vs. Jason is a guilty pleasure that is tough to rival.

Already made my opinions on Toy Story 2 abundantly clear. And I like the prequels; Revenge of the Sith is great.
Sostie
Shrek 2 was shite...not even Nick Cave & Tom Waits could save it. As was the 2 Matrix sequels. Highlander 2. Speed 2. National Lampoon's Class Reunion. Christ there are too many.
maian
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 17 2006, 09:56 PM)
Shrek 2 was shite...not even Nick Cave & Tom Waits could save it.  As was the 2 Matrix sequels. Highlander 2.  Speed 2.  National Lampoon's Class Reunion.  Christ there are too many.

What is that a sequel to? Animal House?

Speed 2 is absolute dreck, though it led to a decent Simpsons joke:

[The school bus is travelling at a very fast speed and the kids inside are being thrown about]
Milhouse:It's like Speed 2, except with a bus instead of a boat!

Which nearly justifies its existence.
Sostie
QUOTE (maian @ Jul 17 2006, 08:59 PM)
What is that a sequel to? Animal House?

In name only. Sold as a sequel. Advertised as one. featured none of the chracters (or school!)

It's like Speed 2...but on a bus.....my favourite Simpsons line....ever biggrin.gif
Atara
Shrek 2 wasn't great, but was watchable enough.

Toy Story one and two are both totally charming and although they have both been around for a long long time still totally stand the test of time in comparison to alot of CGI films now. Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc good...Shrek 1 good, all the rest...PISH
Sean of the Dead
QUOTE (Atara @ Jul 17 2006, 10:16 PM)
Shrek 1 good, all the rest...PISH

The Incredibles isn't pish.
Sostie
QUOTE (Atara @ Jul 17 2006, 09:16 PM)
Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc good...Shrek 1 good, all the rest...PISH

Apart from the bit with the school of fish on the stingray's back I thought Nemo was a bit crap....it weren't no Antz, Bug's Life or Incredibles.
Zoe
Nemo has very little to offer the over tens, unless you're exceptionally undemanding.
monkeyman
The only thing I liked about Nemo was the Turtles.
Or tortoise.

Or tortoiseseses.

Who knows,but I liked em.
zeden
Nemo was tedious in the extreme. After having so many people tell me it was amazing I was sevierely disappointed. Some one even said-
"You'll love the stoner turtles"
Bollocks did I. They were just surfer stereotypes and very boring ones at that.

Shrek is pretty good. Laughed enough times at both of the films to say that I enjoyed them The Pinochio "I'm a real boy" joke and Micheal Jackson jokes were great.
fatseff1234
Superman Returns was shite.
NiteFall
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Jul 17 2006, 11:14 PM)
Superman Returns was shite.

Wronnnnnng!
beatoswald
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jul 17 2006, 11:31 PM)
Wronnnnnng!

laugh.gif

Agreed. I thought it was very good. I liked the comic elements of the film.
maian
I think Finding Nemo is, to use a phrase I hate to use, a lovely film. There is nothing ground-breaking about it in terms of story (though the water effects are a bit special) and it doesn't go anywhere that hundreds of films haven't gone before but it's very sweet and I like that element of it.

I also loved the Shark support group, they were very funny and it's always good to get a combined Monty Python/Jaws reference into a film.
Raven
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 17 2006, 10:27 PM)
Revenge of the Sith has very little to offer the over tens, unless you're exceptionally undemanding.

Shades of grey . . . wink.gif
GundamGuy_UK
Men in Black 2, Matrix 3, that Jumanji but in space film sucks in principle and I never want to see it because I really liked Jumanji, similar with Battle Royale 2 I never want to see, Die Hard 4 shouldn't be made, neither should Indiana Jones 4, or Alien 5, no need for a Star Trek 11 (what would it be about? TOS and TNG have finished movie-wise, and the other series weren't good enough to have films).

Rush Hour, Doom, Serenity (although set between Firefly and Serenity, so Book and Wash can be in it) should all get sequels.

I'm still undecided about Jurassic Park 4. SS has said he loves the script for 4 and wishes he'd not made III so that this can be the proper end to a trilogy. It's also rumored that both Sam Neil and Jeff Goldblum are in it, so it could be good (Ian Malcolm is the true main character in JP I feel). It all depends on the script, it really could be either a brilliant or a terrible film.

Not to do with sequels, but no Asian film should be remade for Hollywood (Ring, Oldboy, Grudge, etc etc). There's just no need.

That's my 2 cents.
Ghost_862
I preferred the American version of The Ring to the Japanese version, but perhaps because I saw the US version first and knew where all the scares were coming.

But personally I found the Japanese version far less atmospheric and far less scary than the American version.

I think people almost feel like they have to prefer the Japanese version... earn Indy points and appear more cultured. But personally I found the original a bit boring.

I have a friend from Hong Kong who's also a film buff and gets incredibly angry and defensive about Asian films that have been remade, but I really couldn't side with him when it came to The Ring. I just found myself wishing it would finish so I could say I've seen both versions, but didn't enjoy it at all. I found the cinematography boring.. I found the pace far too slow... I found the "scary bits" far less shocking or interesting... just... dull.

But like I say.. could be because I already knew what was coming.
monkeyman
The Japanese Ring films were boring shite.

People talk of there being a creepy atmosphere but I just didn't feel it. I also couldn't buy the whole videotape idea.

Rush Hour, Doom, Serenity (although set between Firefly and Serenity, so Book and Wash can be in it ) should all get sequels.
agreed, very very much so. Well, except I havent seen Doom so exclude that.
zeden
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jul 18 2006, 04:14 AM)
The Japanese Ring films were boring shite.

People talk of there being a creepy atmosphere but I just didn't feel it. I also couldn't buy the whole videotape idea.

True dat, the Ring was tedious in the extreme. Dark Water was rubbish as well, what little of it I actually concentrated on.
Of all the hyped Japanese horror films, I've seen the only one I enjoyed was The Grudge. Everything about that film worked for me and I wasn't surprised to see that the Western version was crap (apart from Ted Rami slipping on the bloody floor). It's great how something as simple as the groaning/creaking voice and the bizzare way the woman drags herself around on her hands can be so damn freaky.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 17 2006, 09:44 PM)
I bet Justin has a big dick.

I bet Justin is a big dick.
Sostie
QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ Jul 18 2006, 01:15 AM)
I think people almost feel like they have to prefer the Japanese version... earn Indy points and appear more cultured. 

Or maybe people did genuinely think it was better! It was released some years before the US remake and was one of the biggest selling foreign language DVDs in the UK ever so quite a few people had actually seen it first. It was fresh when it came out, and was far more atmospheric and less glossy than the US version.

Actually I thought the remake was a passable stab, but I've found the general opinion is that whichever version of The Ring you see first that is your favourite.
dandan
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 18 2006, 10:32 AM)
Or maybe people did genuinely think it was better!  It was released some years before the US remake and was one of the biggest selling foreign language DVDs in the UK ever so quite a few people had actually seen it first.  It was fresh when it came out, and was far more atmospheric and less glossy than the US version.

Actually I thought the remake was a passable stab, but I've found the general opinion is that whichever version of The Ring you see first that is your favourite.

agreed.

i also agree with the slagging off of every sequel that's been slagged off on this thread. although i'm sure that i did giggle while watching 'class reunion' as a teenager...
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 18 2006, 10:32 AM)

I do think that's true - both films depend on mood and surprise. I first caught Ring on video knowing little of it bar the basic premise and it took me completely unawares. Those friends I hadn't forced to watch it before the US remake didn't really see the point in going back to the original.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.