Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mash It Up Harry Webb
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Music
Ade
In a manner of speaking, yes.

DJ Mash-ups - Love 'em or loathe 'em, the products of this music genre atom-splicing DJ sub-trend have long since been catching on in the mainstream, and you have to admit some of them are works of genius, especially when the aforementioned 'splicing' stretches to an imaginative, often amusing title.

I meant to start this thread sooner, but I was compelled to do so this morning when I heard Radio 1's Scott Mills playing the latest (presumably official) release: Mousse T ('Horny') vs. The Dandy Warhols, entitled 'Horny As A Dandy'. Okay, not an exceptionally amusing title granted, but the musical combination works exceptionally well.

Some combinations I've stumbled across on a quick 'search' this morning include:

Black Eyed Peas vs Kylie Minogue - 'Just Can't Get You To Shut Up'
Michael Jackson vs. Nirvana - 'Smells Like Billie Jean'
Liberty X vs. Orbital - 'Just A Little Bit Lush'
Eminem vs Shakira - ('Wherever, Whenever' & 'The Real Slim Shady')

...and perhaps the most intriguingly:

Enya vs The Prodigy - ('Orinoco Flow' & 'Smack My Bitch Up') ...allegedly.
I would be very interested to hear that one!

So anyway, you get the idea. Now tell me folks, what are the best 'mash-ups' you've heard? Give me your recommendations now, because my curiosity's destination was 'Piqued', and I've already missed my stop....
maian
The best one I've heard recently has been Muse's ''Supermassive Black Hole'' vs. Britney Spears' ''Do Something'' to make Do Something Supermassive and it works superbly as they are surprisingly similar.

If anyone can find a link to it I'd be grateful since I only heard it once before the link I used was replaced by a link to the lyrics of Radiohead's ''How To Disappear Completely'' huh.gif
Ade
Good man.

I mean, good maian. [/Southern drawl]

Come one, let's rack 'em up, folks!
Sostie
Missy Elliott vs The Cure (Get Your Freak On/Close To Me) is a classic

Kylie vs New Order is a beauty

The Strokes vs Christine Aguilera (sp?) is very good (who would have thought two steaming turds combined would make one good track)

The best one ever though is in my head...I just need to find someone with the right equipment so I can make it.
Starscream`s Ghost
One of the best ones I've heard was the Green Day/Oasis/Travis/Eminem mash-uo of Boulevard of Broken Dreams. The first time I heard that one was on the radio, so it must have been pretty popular.
tigerlily
QUOTE (maian @ Jul 18 2006, 08:52 AM)
The best one I've heard recently has been Muse's ''Supermassive Black Hole'' vs. Britney Spears' ''Do Something'' to make Do Something Supermassive and it works superbly as they are surprisingly similar.

If anyone can find a link to it I'd be grateful since I only heard it once before the link I used was replaced by a link to the lyrics of Radiohead's ''How To Disappear Completely'' huh.gif

I heard that too, it worked really well. I think it was made up by either JK or Joel on Radio 1 last week. Either that or they've nicked it off someone else to pass off as their own creation.

I like the ACDC/Missy Elliot (Back in Black/Get Ur Freak on) mash up that's playing in the club in Welcome to the Jungle whilst The Rock beats up on people. Only been able to find it on a Hang the Djs CD so far.
ipse dixit
Axel F and Beastie Boys' Intergalactic. Awesome. You might be able to find it here - I can't see what tunes he's got up at the moment, but it's one of his finest.
Sostie
You may find this an interesting purchase

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/508901/-/P...string=pop+chop
Ade
Nice one, cheers.

QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Jul 18 2006, 11:02 AM)
Axel F and Beastie Boys' Intergalactic. Awesome. You might be able to find it here - I can't see what tunes he's got up at the moment, but it's one of his finest.

Eeeyyy, one of my old faves from 1984, and 'Intergalactic' ain't half bad either - that sounds ace Ipse, thanks for the link! I'll have a listen when I gets home later...

These all sound jolly interesting so far, folks...keep 'em coming! smile.gif
maian
QUOTE (tigerlily @ Jul 18 2006, 10:33 AM)
I heard that too, it worked really well.  I think it was made up by either JK or Joel on Radio 1 last week.  Either that or they've nicked it off someone else to pass off as their own creation.

I think they may have ripped it off since I heard it a month or so ago.
tigerlily
I had suspicions that that was the case. Although I don't know if they were technically claiming it as their own as I only tuned in for a tiny portion of the show.

I'd like to hear it again though. It made my booty shake.
luvmusic
I remember the DJ at a Mondays gig back in the day combining 'Dub be Good To Me' with a remix of 'Hallelujah' which worked really well.

I love the Breeders/Skee-lo mash-up on one of the 2 Many DJ's albums.
Rua
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 18 2006, 08:59 AM)
The best one ever though is in my head...I just need to find someone with the right equipment so I can make it.

Is it the theme from Sesame Street with 24 Hour Party People?

Edit: I just remembered that Nelly track with Grange Hill was fairly amusing. Though it danced dangerously around Jive Bunny territory.
Ade
I've had a bit of a scout around to see what ones are floating about out there, and there are loads, but I've noticed there are certain songs which seem to favoured for mashing: Eminem's My Name Is and The Real Slim Shady as well as Michael Jackson's Billie Jean are particularly frequent repeaters. 'MTV Mashups' seems to be a commonplace label, too.

I shall see what others I can find, and post my recommendations here in due course...
NiteFall
For some reason the Black Album by Jay-Z is also quite popular, appearing as both the Grey Album, mixed with The White Album by the Beatles and the Double Black Album mixed with Metallicas Black Album. I have the latter somewhere, it's not bad actually.
maian
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jul 19 2006, 11:58 AM)
For some reason the Black Album by Jay-Z is also quite popular, appearing as both the Grey Album, mixed with The White Album by the Beatles and the Double Black Album mixed with Metallicas Black Album. I have the latter somewhere, it's not bad actually.

Dangermouse's Grey Album is responsible for that. Kits appeared on the web on Grey Tuesday allowing people to make their own mash-ups. There's a great one mixing up Jay-Z with Weezer's Blue album.
maian
QUOTE (maian @ Jul 19 2006, 01:27 PM)
Dangermouse's Grey Album is responsible for that. Kits appeared on the web on Grey Tuesday allowing people to make their own mash-ups. There's a great one mixing up Jay-Z with Weezer's Blue album.

This is a bit oblique if people aren't familar with Dangermouse, so I might as well explain a bit.

DJ Dangermouse (producer-extroadinaire behind Gorillaz' Demon Days album and one half of Gnarls Barkley) made a mash-up of Jay-Z's The Black album with The White Album a few years ago. He got a cease and desist irder from EMI but those who had got hold of the limited number of copies decided to put them all up for free on the same day, Grey Tuesday, and spread the good word. Some of the best pop music of the last 18 months owes much to this bit of illegality.

Anyway, in the aftermath of this other people took to making mash-up albums and they use the Black Album because it is associated with the start of it all.

Can anyone give me a decent link to the Grey Album, by the way? I had a copy but it got lost and my computer lost the electronic copy when it had to be wiped at Christmas.
NiteFall
Should be out there as a torrent I should think.
maian
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jul 19 2006, 09:17 PM)
Should be out there as a torrent I should think.

I don't trust 'em; my laptop is shit; my Dad wouldn't let me use his computer for it. I may be able to get my mate to download it for me as he has a fair deal of stuffdownloaded anyway.
Ade
QUOTE (maian @ Jul 19 2006, 09:48 PM)
I don't trust 'em; my laptop is shit; my Dad wouldn't let me use his computer for it. I may be able to get my mate to download it for me as he has a fair deal of stuffdownloaded anyway.

[Whispers] I'm downloading it myself as we speak...
maian
I'm sorry, I can't hear you. You'll have to speak into the microphone.
Ade
Just found another corker that works really well:

Harold Faltermeyer Vs. Usher - 'Yeah!' meets 'Axel F'.... I call it Axel Yeah!
PrincessKate
I've really only discovered these so I am resurrecting this thread, as I've fallen in love with a lot of peculiar mash-up tracks over the past months. A quick peruse of the 'most played' list on my itunes throws up:

Kelly's Boogie Shoes (Kool and the Gang vs Kelly vs Bob Carlisle)
Blame Battlestar on Purple Pills (Jackson 5 vs D12 vs the theme from Battlestar Galactica)
Power of Grange Hill (Huey Lewis vs Chicken Man vs the Blues Brothers and some other people I forget.
this is a good place. And also this.
Kick in the Head
I always liked Come Closer Together (The Beatles' Come Together with Nine Inch Nails' Closer).
weputthemdown583
I am the biggest Muse fan i know, but have to say i find this quite catchy, it seems to fit really well.

Britney's Massive Hole!

It was said when Muse's last album was released that Supermassive Black Hole was 'inspired' by Britney's track.
ayeyerma
We have a great mash up of Back in Black by AC/DC with The Next Episode Dr.Dre and Snoop Dogg.

It's awesome.
PrincessKate
Sweet Seven Nation Army
This one's pretty good.
Come Closer Together is awesome too.
Rua
Ah. You fixed it.

QUOTE (ayeyerma @ Aug 4 2008, 11:23 PM) *
We have a great mash up of Back in Black by AC/DC with The Next Episode Dr.Dre and Snoop Dogg.

It's awesome.

..and here it is. Though I gotta' say, this version isn't produced as well as the one we have on vinyl.
PrincessKate
Blue Rinse
This isn't quite as good as the version on the CMP website (and it has funkytown in it for some reason) but I kind of love it.
Rua
My favourite mash up is hard to find online so no example I'm afraid all due to Warner removing it from everywhere.

Q-Tip's Breath & Stop with Michael Jackson's Don't Stop 'till You Get Enough. It's a proper floor filler.
angle
QUOTE (Rua @ Jan 18 2009, 08:54 PM) *
My favourite mash up is hard to find online so no example I'm afraid all due to Warner removing it from everywhere.

Q-Tip's Breath & Stop with Michael Jackson's Don't Stop 'till You Get Enough. It's a proper floor filler.

OOh, i'd love to hear that, breath and stop is a great track off a great album
logger
She Said Crosstown Traffic - Kind of chaotic but just seems to work.

Can't believe I've never posted about The Flying White Dots in this thread before. You can download two of their albums here, probably because they can't be sold due to copyright infringement.
PrincessKate
Doctor Who On Holiday
logger
Wu Tang v's The Beatles - Enter The Magical Mystery Chambers Free downloadable album.
bigfatrich
QUOTE (logger @ Jan 19 2010, 04:35 PM) *

No longer at that URL.
mad.gif
bigfatrich
Continuing the Wu-Tang theme: I heard a mash-up of ODB's Shimmy Shimmy Ya and the Ski Sunday theme. I can't find it anywhere, anyone point me in the right direction?
PrincessKate
QUOTE (Ade @ Jul 18 2006, 08:34 AM) *
...and perhaps the most intriguingly:

Enya vs The Prodigy - ('Orinoco Flow' & 'Smack My Bitch Up') ...allegedly.
I would be very interested to hear that one!

I have this, I think if, you're still interested in it.

Ade
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Jul 9 2010, 04:05 PM) *
I have this, I think if, you're still interested in it.

I found it eventually, but thanks!
PrincessKate
Dirty Deeds will Rock You
bigfatrich
QUOTE (bigfatrich @ Jul 8 2010, 07:26 AM) *
Continuing the Wu-Tang theme: I heard a mash-up of ODB's Shimmy Shimmy Ya and the Ski Sunday theme. I can't find it anywhere, anyone point me in the right direction?

Fahhhnttit, duck! Is a Jaguar Skills effort and can be found on his blog. It's the "bits 'n' bobs" download which is a collection of stuff he's done for various radio stations.
logger
Easy E meets Johnny Cash
logger
It's years since I heard this
logger
Knock Out Eileen
Ade
QUOTE (Rua @ Jan 18 2009, 08:54 PM) *

I done finded it: HERE

I like it. I like it a lot.
PrincessKate
I was signed for loving you
Celebrity Murder Party mashup playlists (no idea if these still work)
Sir_Robin_the_brave
The Shamen - Move Any Mountain vs. Streets of Rage 2

I LOVE this!
Ade
As you may well be able to glean from the off, this is most probably NSFW:

Biggie Smalls vs. Thomas the Tank Engine

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.