Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Computer Games III
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
GundamGuy_UK
Picked up Ico a couple of days ago. It's a very interesting game, and I'm enjoying it. Combat can be a bit tough sometimes, mainly due to the girl you have to protect suffering from "protection AI syndrome", ie all games that require you to protect an NPC have really dumb NPCs who allow themselves to be attacked with no resistance.

Other than that, it's great.
monkeyman
I frikkin love ICO, the style and atmosphere of the game is fantastic.
One of the few games where theres soooo many times I;ve stood there using the "look around" feature just to take in the surroundings as I was amazed by them.

The storylines pretty interesting and theres loads of cool little touches. Like holding hands and the way you nearly trip her up if you run to fast from a standstill and the need to catch her when you do chasm jumps.

Shadow Of the Collossus is very brilliant as well. I can;t wait to see what the makers ca do on the next gen consoles as ICO and to some extent SoTC were ahead of their time.
GundamGuy_UK
Yeah, I bought Shadow of the Colossus on release day, and love it. Still not beaten the last one though...
monkeyman
He is a bit of a pain. Though when you get up high the Surrounding view is astounding. And the way he dies looks awesome as well.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Punkass @ Nov 13 2006, 12:07 AM)
What was the original release date?

Supposedly just after christmas I think. Now it's mid to late 2007.
zeden
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 12 2006, 03:43 PM)
I never expected it to outperform the 360.Microsoft proved witht he Xbox they could make a great performing console.

Another reason I'm quite oking forward to the PS3 is that there will be a similar thing to what Nintendo are doing. that you can download PS1 games for like £5. Vagrant story, Xenosaga, xenogears.....Should be good.

I'd be surprised if you see the likes of Xenosaga/gears available on the European version of that service. They were never released here so there's likely to be localisation issues that Sony or whoever is in charge of getting these games on the service wont bother with. You can fully expect the crop of big name titles, Gran Tourismo, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy etc, but the obscure stuff like that is pretty unlikely.
I've got Vagrant Story by the way, you're more than welcome to borrow it. Try as I might I simply cannot get into that game. I've tried to play it multiple times since it came out and every time I get to a certain point and then lose the will to keep playing. It's so damned tough.

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Nov 12 2006, 10:21 PM)
Episodic content = shit.

You're not wrong there. I watched something about it on some cable games show (Cybernet or some such) and it had a developer explaining how you basically need the entire game to be completed when the first release comes out because the amount of time to develop the game between episodes is not long enough and leads to delays...
The guy said that ultimately episodic content is just a means of getting more money from the consumer, never a good thing.

Played FEAR on Saturday. Not impressed. Very, very bland. In the two hours I played it I saw one type of scenery- dark, dull warehouse. I saw two types of enemy, generic soldiers and some big heavy armour types. There were four weapons I used, one pistol and 3 machine guns with varying rates of fire and strength. The only other gameplay element was bullet time. Wow, never seen that before.
Utterly generic and bland. There was some "spooky" stuff, but it was the typical shadows moving ahead of you/boxes flying around of their own accord/doors slamming/fleeting glimpses of something type stuff. Seen it all done better in other games.
There is nothing at all to make this game stand out from the million and one other FPS available and as such it's crap by default.

Also got to see Call of Duty 3 for a while. Seemed interesting enough. Enough tactical freedom to let you improvise, a tough difficulty level and some nice effects. Nothing much to make it distinct from Call of Duty 2 to be honest, but it was a cut above FEAR in the FPS stakes, simply because the levels were interesting.
Drifter
QUOTE (Punkass @ Nov 13 2006, 12:07 AM)
What was the original release date?

For the PS3? I hear it supposedly March 2007 but Sony may yet delay again
zeden
QUOTE (Drifter @ Nov 13 2006, 02:00 PM)
For the PS3? I hear it supposedly March 2007 but Sony may yet delay again

The most recent thing I heard on the matter was that dates had been put back because Sony simply cannot supply the demand for the PS3. As such they delayed the Euro release in order to try and supply the Japanese and American markets. No-one at Sony is willing to give March as a firm release date for Europe anymore as well, so it would seem that the issue isn't over yet.
The same has been said about the lack of DS games coming out over here until after Christmas, with production being geared towards supplying the Japanese and American markets.
monkeyman
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 13 2006, 11:31 AM)
I'd be surprised if you see the likes of Xenosaga/gears available on the European version of that service. They were never released here so there's likely to be localisation issues that Sony or whoever is in charge of getting these games on the service wont bother with.

As far as I understand the PS3 games will be region free like the PSP games. I realise it's a PS1 game but I'm holding out some small hope that there will be the American version available to download.
Drifter
Its already been on the news that Japanese fanboys have been selling their PS3's for 4 times the amount they bought them for, they did the same when the 360 came out if memory serves me right.... huh.gif
monkeyman
I doubt it's fanboys.

From the several articles I read about it it's Japanese business men paying Poor Asians to buy them so they can be sold on at extortionate prices.

Seriously 100,000 units is ridiculous.
Hopefully production will be a bit more thought out for the European release.
Lazlo Woodbine
Am i right in thinking the Final Fantasy games will be on the X box 360 as well as the Playstation?
monkeyman
As of the moment they are Playstation Exclusive.
Lazlo Woodbine
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 13 2006, 11:48 PM)
As of the moment they are Playstation Exclusive.

Ah, i thought i read that the new ones would be on the X-box too.
monkeyman
I don't see why they couldn't get a port at some point. It would be to Square Enix's finacial gain.

Not to mention, the more people who play it the more money they make and the more incentive they have to make more games (though hopefully keeping the wuality and not just churning shit out like EA has a habit of doing).
zeden
Square-Enix might run a different series of RPGs on the 360. That would be nice. No sign of it yet though so I'm quite concerned.
Aside from Knights of the Old Republic (as I typed that the Star Wars theme played on TV. Weird...), Jade Empire and Morrowind the Xbox was woefully light on RPGs. Heck, KOTOR and Morrowind are on PC as well so they don't really count as being a reason to play the Xbox for RPGs. I refuse to include Fable for other reasons, if you can finish the game in under 20 hours in one weekend without dying then it's not good enough to fit the bill as a real RPG, it's more of an action adventure in my book because of the thin plot.
Lazlo Woodbine
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 13 2006, 11:56 PM)
I don't see why they couldn't get a port at some point. It would be to Square Enix's finacial gain.

Not to mention, the more people who play it the more money they make and the more incentive they have to make more games (though hopefully keeping the wuality and not just churning shit out like EA has a habit of doing).

I don't know how it works. Sony must offer some financial incentive to keep it Playstation only. I can't be the only one who chooses which console to buy based on the games that will be on it.
monkeyman
Heh, it's the only reason I buy consoles.

If the 360 was getting Metal gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy13+Final Fantasy Versus.13, White knight story, Heavy Rain(360 might be getting it) and Devil May Cry 4 I'd probably get one sooner rather than later.

As it is, the 360 is getting the Tenchu series which is a series I love sad.gif Oh and I'd be interested to see what the next Dead Rising game is like. I will probably end up getting a 360 eventually but right now theres not a whole lot of games I;m interested in getting on it.
Drifter
The only one you can get is Final Fantasy XI for the 360, it comes with 3 expansion packs - Rise of the Zilart, Chain of Promathia and Treasures of Aht Urhgan....although its strictly for Xbox Live and paying a monthy sub

...anyone bough the Nyko Intercooler 360, wondered whether its worth getting, seems like a good idea if it works....I noticed 4Gamers are bringing one out too

Three internal cooling fans with glowing green LED's
Increased airflow for your Xbox 360 console
Helps to reduce running temperature allowing your console to perform more efficiently and reliably
No modification of the console required
Auto power on & off with the console
Can be used with the console either in its horizontal or vertical positions
zeden
QUOTE (Drifter @ Nov 14 2006, 02:15 AM)
...anyone bough the Nyko Intercooler 360, wondered whether its worth getting, seems like a good idea if it works....I noticed 4Gamers are bringing one out too

Three internal cooling fans with glowing green LED's
Increased airflow for your Xbox 360 console
Helps to reduce running temperature allowing your console to perform more efficiently and reliably
No modification of the console required
Auto power on & off with the console
Can be used with the console either in its horizontal or vertical positions

What's the point in that? My 360 gets a little warm but not dangerously so. Surely that thing is going to cause more noise and irriatation?

Chris- The 360 also has Mass Effect and the upcoming Knights of the Old Republic games. Two major reasons for me to own the console. There's a game called Bio Shock on the way as well that looks quite nice. Aside from that I'm struggling to think of 360 games I'm looking forward to. Halo I guess, but only for the multiplayer.

It looks like I'll be getting all three consoles if Sony do bag FF as an exclusive. Probably be waiting for a good while before getting a PS3 though, I don't expect FF13 to turn up for at least another year and a half on these shores, most likely even longer.
Lazlo Woodbine
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 14 2006, 11:36 AM)
What's the point in that?

I think you missed the bit about the glowing geen LEDS!
zeden
Oooo, pointless green lights... pretty...

Seriously, it just seems like a waste of time and money all round.
Lazlo Woodbine
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 14 2006, 11:57 AM)
Oooo, pointless green lights... pretty...

Seriously, it just seems like a waste of time and money all round.

I think you're missing the point. They're glowing green lights. Not just those illuminating kind.
zeden
Ah, I see what you mean now. I think my time spent gaming on my 360, nay, my life would be enhanced no end by the addition of extra glowing LEDs. Seriously, I can't wait to get my Intercooler 360 so I can sit with the lights off and enjoy the fantastic glow and loud buzzing from the extra fans...
Lazlo Woodbine
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 14 2006, 12:18 PM)
Ah, I see what you mean now. I think my time spent gaming on my 360, nay, my life would be enhanced no end by the addition of extra glowing LEDs. Seriously, I can't wait to get my Intercooler 360 so I can sit with the lights off and enjoy the fantastic glow and loud buzzing from the extra fans...

They're just some LEDS. I think you're overstating their excitement value. mellow.gif
zeden
You're the one who had to highlight the glowing nature of the things as if it were something special. rolleyes.gif
I want more info about this thing now. Surely it serves more of a purpose than just to cool the thing? If I were to modify my 360, which I wouldn't, I'd get a water cooling system to get rid of the fan noise. The addition 3 extra fans would only serve to make it impossible to hear the TV surely?
fatseff1234
Shush!

The only way I'd get a PS3 would be if it was £80 or less and It'd only be for the Final Fantasy and possibly the Devil May Cry series'.
Nonus Aequilibrium
I've read differing opinions on the intercooler. Some have said it's noisy as hell, others say it's barely noticable. Most have said that it makes quite a big difference to the temperature of the console though.
NiteFall
Just got Dragon Quest from t'rental folks. I'm giving it a go, if I likes it I may buys it. I shall report back with my findings later.
zeden
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Nov 14 2006, 12:43 PM)
I've read differing opinions on the intercooler. Some have said it's noisy as hell, others say it's barely noticable. Most have said that it makes quite a big difference to the temperature of the console though.

But does the lower temparature translate into anything worht while. I guess it might make the console last a big longer if it's at a consistently lower temperature, but unless you live in a hot climate what's the point?

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Nov 14 2006, 12:44 PM)
Just  got Dragon Quest from t'rental folks. I'm giving it a go, if I likes it I may buys it. I shall report back with my findings later.

Is that Dragon Quest 8? That's a damned long and hard game, I'm still not close to finishing it.
NiteFall
Yep, that's the bunny. Expect me to ask for help if I end up stuck at any point. tongue.gif
monkeyman
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 14 2006, 11:36 AM)
Chris- The 360 also has Mass Effect and the upcoming Knights of the Old Republic games. Two major reasons for me to own the console. There's a game called Bio Shock on the way as well that looks quite nice. Aside from that I'm struggling to think of 360 games I'm looking forward to. Halo I guess, but only for the multiplayer.

Mass Effect does look pretty damn sweet I have to say. Like I said, if theres enough games I'm interested in on the 360 I'll prolly get one, as of now there arent really that many I'm interested in.
2 so far that I want or cant get on PC. Hopefully the 360 will get a really nice exclusive RPG or something
monkeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KY15m7-eOg&eurl=

Call of Duty 3 on the Wii. Sure I'm a little bit bored of WW2 shooters that have nothing special to them. But the video shows off the awesomeness of the Wii controls.
Nonus Aequilibrium
Hmm, apparently loads of PS1 and 2 games don't work properly on the PS3, despite Sony having made a big song and dance about it. More importantly, since there's no memory card slot on the PS3 (for the old memory card types), you're basically going to lose all your save games if you get rid of your PS2?
monkeyman
nah theres an adapter that lets you save from your memeory cards onto the HD.
"The PlayStation 3 Memory Card Adaptor is a device that allows data to be transferred to and from the PlayStation & PlayStation 2 memory cards to the PlayStation 3's hard disk. The device is a cable that connects to the PS3's USB port on one end, and features a legacy PlayStation 2 memory card port on the other end. The adaptor will be available for purchase simultaneously with the console's launch, at a price of JP¥1500 (including tax) in Japan, and US$14.99 in the United States."

Sucks about some of the games not working rolleyes.gif.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 14 2006, 06:13 PM)
nah theres an adapter that lets you save from your memeory cards onto the HD.
"The PlayStation 3 Memory Card Adaptor is a device that allows data to be transferred to and from the PlayStation & PlayStation 2 memory cards to the PlayStation 3's hard disk. The device is a cable that connects to the PS3's USB port on one end, and features a legacy PlayStation 2 memory card port on the other end. The adaptor will be available for purchase simultaneously with the console's launch, at a price of JP¥1500 (including tax) in Japan, and US$14.99 in the United States."

Sucks about some of the games not working  rolleyes.gif.

Not too bad then. Makes me wonder why they couldn't just build it into the console since they had all those other slots for SD cards, etc.
monkeyman
Yah it is odd.

Perhaps it was created as an afterthought when the console was in production?Does seem a bit odd to make an attachment rather then just build it in.
Then again, it does net them an extra couple of quid.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 14 2006, 06:18 PM)
Yah it is odd.

Perhaps it was created as an afterthought when the console was in production?Does seem a bit odd to make an attachment rather then just build it in.
Then again, it does net them an extra couple of quid.

I guess the way they'd look at it is it's something you'd need to use once and then forget about. Plus it's extra cost on each console which everyone who never had a previous generation PS would never use. If people have any sense, they'll get one between a group of friends, use it, then pass it on, rather than have everyone waste money on one.
monkeyman
S'a good point actually.
I'm glad they've created it though, would be a pain to have to Break out the PS2 to play my older games, though if there are issues with any games I own it's going to suck.

On another note,: Silent hill Origins is looking pretty damn tasty (PSP game).
Graphically it seems to be in pretty good shape and the soundtrack is looking to be as good as ever.
Also, one of the weapons is a pistol with a laser sight on it, and the aiming mode with it looks exactly like Resi 4, which is pretty damn cool. And it also makes me wonder if there will be a Resi4 Redux style game on the PSP, it's work well and be all sorts of awesome.

http://uk.media.psp.ign.com/media/826/826999/vids_1.html
Check out the "Killing Outside" clip for the Resi4 style shooting.
Oh and check out Trailer 1, the music and scenes are pretty damn creepy.....The silent hill team really have a skill at getting under your skin. The games tend to be more disturbing then disgusting (though there is some level of disgust) and it looks like it'll make a pretty good transition to PSP. The only thing that looks really ghey is the health bar that pops up when you aim =/
Yes I am excited, Silent Hill 2 is one of my favourite games ever
Sean of the Dead
Online Mii maker.
zeden
Halo 3 multiplayer beta next Spring. As well as some new maps for Halo 2. Looks like it'll be another year before Halo 3 actually hits shelves so this is a nice stop gap.
NiteFall
Well, I'm really liking Dragon Quest so far. Pleasantly engaging storyline, some great voice work and, as is to be expected, absolutely fantastic design work from Akira Toriyama.

I'm just about to leave Port Prospect to fight the sea monster, so I'm really not far into it at all yet.
zeden
It is good isn't it. Yangus' voice is great. It's like a breath of fresh air to hear English voices in a game, usually it's the typical posh English accent that no-one actually has.
You've a very long way to go from Port Prospect. The sea monster is quite funny if I remember correctly. I can't remember the order things happen in that game, have you faught the moles yet?
NiteFall
I've fought some moles. No boss moles though.

I may have to actually buy this if I find somewhere that actually has it in stock.
monkeyman
Play has it for £30.
NiteFall
They've not had it in stock for the last 6 months though...
monkeyman
Damn, i looked it up a few weeks ago as I was intereste din buying it after seeign it at Zedens, then decided I'll just borrow it instead.
I didn't check it's availability =/

EDIT:Amazon.co.uk have it for £25
fatseff1234
Well Need For Speed: Carbon has gone from being a piece of piss to being insanely hard, shitty red island.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Nov 16 2006, 10:09 AM)
Well Need For Speed: Carbon has gone from being a piece of piss to being insanely hard, shitty red island.

Still waiting for my replacement copy...

Finished Splinter Cell Double Agent last week, I've been having a go at the "co-op" challenges. By co-op, their definition seems to be "you don't kill each other". However, you are in direct competition with other players in some of the missions, where it's first player to score so many downloads. I really didn't like the last level I played because there hardly seemed to be any places for a spy to hide, and the guards are fast.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Nov 16 2006, 09:19 AM)
Still waiting for my replacement copy...

Finished Splinter Cell Double Agent last week, I've been having a go at the "co-op" challenges. By co-op, their definition seems to be "you don't kill each other". However, you are in direct competition with other players in some of the missions, where it's first player to score so many downloads. I really didn't like the last level I played because there hardly seemed to be any places for a spy to hide, and the guards are fast.

Unlucky, but you might want to consider cancelling if you've already played Most Wanted, it's a far better game.

Also is Double Agent worth buying? I don't really like the Splinter Cell games but I like the idea of breaking out of jail.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.