Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Computer Games III
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
zeden
Wii was intended to cost less then $100
I'll bet it would have still cost us £100+ over here. It would have been very interesting had they managed it, Nintendo would have been on to a big winner with that I reckon.
maian
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 16 2006, 12:42 PM)
I'll bet it would have still cost us £100+ over here. It would have been very interesting had they managed it, Nintendo would have been on to a big winner with that I reckon.

They'll probably do alright with the current price, but they probably raised the price so that they would be in profit on every console sold, which is very rare.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 16 2006, 01:42 PM)

Isn't that cheaper than what a Gamecube costs anyway? Even £100 would have been a hell of a lot better than what it's actually going to cost. To be honest though, despite the fact that I don't think it's worth £180, even if it were 50 quid I probably still wouldn't buy one, I still haven't seen any mention of any games on it that I'd actually want to play.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Nov 16 2006, 01:30 PM)
even if it were 50 quid I probably still wouldn't buy one, I still haven't seen any mention of any games on it that I'd actually want to play.

Likewise. Nintendo tend to focus on the kind of games that just don't interest me much and nothing coming out for the wii has made me think about purchasing one.

I've only bought four games for my Gamecube since I bought it, and three of those are Resident Evil exclusives (the reason I bought the console in the first place)

It did cost me less than 50 quid though so I'm not complaining. Resident Evil Rebirth & Zero were worth it.
zeden
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Nov 16 2006, 01:30 PM)
Isn't that cheaper than what a Gamecube costs anyway? Even £100 would have been a hell of a lot better than what it's actually going to cost. To be honest though, despite the fact that I don't think it's worth £180, even if it were 50 quid I probably still wouldn't buy one, I still haven't seen any mention of any games on it that I'd actually want to play.

You're not even slightly interested in Red Steel, Zelda or Mario?

I wish it were under £100, the cost of the controllers is what's going to make buying mine almost as expensive as my 360.
The current estimate is £305, which covers the console, an extra remote+nunchuk, a classic controler and two games. I'm tempted to get another two remotes so I can play Wii sports 4 player but that's another £60 on top. Think I'll hold off for a while before getting totally kitted out.

I never got an email telling me, but Tony Hawk was posted on Tuesday. mellow.gif
If it's on the door step when I get home I think I might have a breakdown. The torment of having that at home when I'm going out tonight, after waiting so long for it, will weigh on my mind while I'm out. It had better be a good night out, that's all I'm saying.
Jubei
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 16 2006, 03:10 PM)
I never got an email telling me, but Tony Hawk was posted on Tuesday.  mellow.gif
If it's on the door step when I get home I think I might have a breakdown. The torment of having that at home when I'm going out tonight, after waiting so long for it, will weigh on my mind while I'm out. It had better be a good night out, that's all I'm saying.

I'll be buying it tomorrow. Feel my pain.
fatseff1234
Oh my god you two, grow up.

I have to fucking wait until christmas sad.gif.
Jubei
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Nov 16 2006, 04:11 PM)

biggrin.gif But I'll have to wait for christmas for Gears of War instead biggrin.gif
NiteFall
Picked up a copy of dragon Quest preowned for £15 today. So now I can return the rental one. Also, the one I got is in absolutely mint condition, I suspect that it was bought by some unsuspecting kiddie who mistook it for a DragonBall game (Dragon in title, Akira Toriyama artwork / design) who then traded it in. Either way- score!
zeden
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Nov 16 2006, 03:11 PM)

GET A JOB! I have no sympathy. tongue.gif

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Nov 16 2006, 03:59 PM)
Picked up a copy of dragon Quest preowned for £15 today. So now I can return the rental one. Also, the one I got is in absolutely mint condition, I suspect that it was bought by some unsuspecting kiddie who mistook it for a DragonBall game (Dragon in title, Akira Toriyama artwork / design) who then traded it in. Either way- score!

Nice one! I might have to try and finish it soon before you catch up and make me feel lazy.
NiteFall
Ha! I shall defeat you with a combination of my gaming-ninja powers and the excessive amount of time I have on my hands because noone will employ me!
monkeyman
Ugh tell me about it.
if I don't get this job that I have an interview for I will snap.

On another note, I know what Nonus is saying about some of the games not being that interesting.
Don't get me wrong it's great to see how the remote is implemented in game like that one i posted of CoD3 but at the end of the day, it's a 1st person shooter, as is Red Steel. Mario and Wario look interesting and Zelda is meant to be good (even if it is less pretty then a GC game) but I've never played a Zelda so you have to understand the same draw isn't there for me.

I will get a Wii eventually as I love the way the remote works and I'm sure there will be some titles I'll want like Smash Brothers, and I iamgine Zelda will intrigue me when I see you play it. But I'm just saying I can understand Nonus' and Sir Robins views at the moment at least.
Sean of the Dead
I'm really looking forward to SSBB, as not only is it the next in one of my favourite game series, but it's also bound to be online.

So I'll look forward to kickin' some of your arses on it, later on next year.
tongue.gif
zeden
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Nov 16 2006, 04:05 PM)
Ha! I shall defeat you with a combination of my gaming-ninja powers and the excessive amount of time I have on my hands because noone will employ me!

You cetainly have the edge on that front. It is a huge game though. I'm 60 hours in and not even near the end so even if you do go incredibly hardcore on it I'm in with a chance of finishing it before you. Then again, I do have the new Tony Hawk, the last couple of hours of Kingdom Hearts 2, Oblivion once the new add-on comes out and in a couple of weeks the Wii to play, Zelda alone is meant to be at least 50 hours+. That'll probably keep me off Dragon Quest.

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 16 2006, 04:13 PM)
Zelda is meant to be good (even if it is less pretty then a GC game) but I've never played a Zelda so you have to understand the same draw isn't there for me.

Hold up. What are you basing that on?
monkeyman
Several reviews on it.
zeden
That makes absoutely no sense at all. Got an example I could look at?
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 16 2006, 03:10 PM)
You're not even slightly interested in Red Steel, Zelda or Mario?

Nope, can't say that I am. Like sir robin says, it's just a case of none of the games being the style that interest me at all. Same goes for PS3 - Tekken, Final Fantasy, etc, none of these japanese developed games appeal in the slightest. The only games on PS3 or Wii that appeal are cross platform anyway. Everyone likes different styles of games. Personally I always preferred the PC for gaming, and the 360 is the first console since the Megadrive that I've actually wanted. The original Xbox tempted me more than the others in the previous generation but I still didn't get one because the PC was far superior.
zeden
Fair play. I just figured that Red Steel, at the very least, would pique your interest being that it's a FPS.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 16 2006, 05:46 PM)
Fair play. I just figured that Red Steel, at the very least, would pique your interest being that it's a FPS.

All the marketing of it seems to be focused on the sword fighting bits. First of all, I don't want to stand in front of a TV swinging a controller round like an idiot pretending I'm actually having a sword fight. Secondly, if all the focus is on that, it sounds like the rest of the game has nothing worthwhile to talk about. Sounds like it'll just be a bland, ordinary shooter with a gimmick in it.

I thought the same thing about Call of Duty 3 on seeing that video the other day. Rowing a boat? What the hell is the point in that? Does it give any gameplay value whatsoever? It just screams gimmick to me.
monkeyman
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 16 2006, 05:32 PM)
That makes absoutely no sense at all. Got an example I could look at?

Not an official review yet:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/11/nintendo...lda-falls-flat/
What he says is overly harsh though, he's citing the game is a flop based ont he graphics which is horseshit, pleas enote I'm just posting this as an example of a critique ont he graphics so ignore that it says the games a flop. he makes a good point near the end which does make sense: "In sum: it's clear that we're playing a GameCube game that's had motion-sensitive controls bolted on in order to move Wii boxes off of retailer shelves"
It's a fair point. But he states rightly that the game is still gonna rock the shit

And from penny Arcade:
The game doesn't look very good. I donít just mean it doesnít look like Gears of War either, I mean it doesnít even look good for a GC game and letís be honest here thatís what weíre talking about. Iíve seen beautiful games on the Cube. Crystal Chronicles, Wind Waker and Resident Evil 4 were all incredible looking games. Twilight Princess canít really compare to any of them. So heís right about that, what heís wrong about is everything else.

Even though the game doesnít look all that great, itís still Zelda and itís fucking awesome. Our crew plays Gears of War every night and I had a hard time putting down my remote and nun chuck to join them. 1up has a minute by minute write up of the first ten hours of the game which seems ridiculous to me. I donít know why youíd want to ruin such a great experience and itís really not necessary. Maybe thatís that new games journalism Iíve heard so much about. Hereís everything you need to know about Twilight Princess:

-Playing Zelda with the Wii controller is super fun. -The game play is a blast. -The story is great. -Youíll never even think about the graphics while youíre playing it.
Again, he says the game will rock the shit, it just doesn;t look as pretty as it could on the wii. Wait for the next incarnation that makes full use of the Wii's engine.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/feature/hands...cess-212137.php
The graphics of Twilight Princess are both beautiful and disappointing, looking a lot like a high end Gamecube title (or more likely, XBOX) with enhanced shaders. In the normal world, there are moments of brilliance in the glow of the vast horizon, but these touches are difficult to appreciate with Link's pixilated body constantly front and center. Artistic intention is obvious, but I can't help wishing that the jagged edges of Link's arms aren't more frightening than his sword

As I said. i wasn't suggesting the game will be shit, just that it seems the graphics aren't as good as they should be. yes I know graphics don;t make a game but I was just making a passing remark.
zeden
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Nov 16 2006, 05:00 PM)
All the marketing of it seems to be focused on the sword fighting bits. First of all, I don't want to stand in front of a TV swinging a controller round like an idiot pretending I'm actually having a sword fight. Secondly, if all the focus is on that, it sounds like the rest of the game has nothing worthwhile to talk about. Sounds like it'll just be a bland, ordinary shooter with a gimmick in it.

Fair play. I'm starting to get a bit jaded about gaming of late and the prospect of doing something a little more physical and different is a big part of the appeal with the Wiis control system, so I guess that's where we differ. I'm also a fan of any kind of gimmicky arcade machine so it suits my tastes very nicely.

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 16 2006, 05:21 PM)
As I said. i wasn't suggesting the game will be shit, just that it seems the graphics aren't as good as they should be. yes I know graphics don;t make a game but I was just making a passing remark.

I didn't think you were suggesting that, it's hard to get the intended tone across sometimes. I was just a little shocked that it would be so. As you say, the graphics don't matter so I'm not fussed. I didn't order the Wii for the graphics.

Tony Hawk never arrived in the end, so it should do tomorrow.
Drifter
Got my copy of Gears of War today.....hmmm, lets see how it works as a whole
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Drifter @ Nov 17 2006, 01:08 PM)
Got my copy of Gears of War today.....hmmm, lets see how it works as a whole

Gah, I have to wait for mine. Although I don't mind so much if it means it being free.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Nov 17 2006, 02:00 AM)

I thought the same thing about Call of Duty 3 on seeing that video the other day. Rowing a boat? What the hell is the point in that? Does it give any gameplay value whatsoever? It just screams gimmick to me.

I'm still not sold on the controller in terms of playing more traditional games - it works absolutely fine, takes a while getting used to, but once you've got it, it feels natural as anything. But it really shines in games like WarioWare and from the reactions I've seen from people playing Wii Sports.

As for swinging it around like an idiot, you don't have to if you don't want to. It really only requires the slightest flick here and there as illustrated by Penny Arcade.

And I'm not looking forward to Mario and Zelda for the controls. I'm looking forward to them because they feel more like direct successors to Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time. Sunshine and Wind Waker made me lose all interest in the big adventure titles the fanboys go wild over. But, having paid little attention to the game on the basis of its space setting being what I perceived to be another water backpack gimmick, just a few minutes on Super Mario Galaxy got me really excited and itching to play some more.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Nov 17 2006, 03:02 PM)
As for swinging it around like an idiot, you don't have to if you don't want to. It really only requires the slightest flick here and there as illustrated by Penny Arcade.

Yeah, bit-tech got a hands on preview with the Wii, and they didn't sound very impressed at all with the controller. They said that small movements actually work far better than swinging it around properly, and that it really defeats the whole point of it. It basically all just translates straight back into the equivalent of pressing a button. Still, I won't make my mind up about it until I've had a go myself. But the more I read about it, and the more I think about it, the less the whole motion sensitive approach sounds like a good idea. I get the idea that I'm going to find it cool for about five minutes and then get sick of it.
zeden
THE HAWK HAS LANDED! smile.gif
fatseff1234
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 17 2006, 05:34 PM)
THE HAWK HAS LANDED!  smile.gif

So we won't be hearing from you for a couple of months then?

But seriously, let me know how it is because I'm itching for some decent Hawk after playing the travesty that was American Wasteland. I still say the first one was the best.

QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 16 2006, 04:02 PM)
GET A JOB!

I HAVE ONE! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Jubei @ Nov 16 2006, 03:43 PM)
biggrin.gif  But I'll have to wait for christmas for Gears of War instead biggrin.gif

I have to wait for both, all game buying is on hold for the Wii. Which is sooooo worth it.
zeden
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Nov 18 2006, 12:05 AM)
So we won't be hearing from you for a couple of months then?

But seriously, let me know how it is because I'm itching for some decent Hawk after playing the travesty that was American Wasteland. I still say the first one was the best.
I HAVE ONE!  tongue.gif
I have to wait for both, all game buying is on hold for the Wii. Which is sooooo worth it.

Fair play on the job front my man, WORK MORE HOURS! tongue.gif

I've managed to drag myself away, tiredness is dampening my enjoyment so I'm leaving it till tomorrow.

It's good so far. Tasks are tough and varied for the most part. The locations aren't half as contrived and stale as some reviews would have you think. Cut scenes are entertaining enough. Lots of real footage of the pros pulling off some ridiculous moves. Graphically it's nice, with the motion captured animation adding a great deal to the characters personality and over all feel of the game. That last one might be lost to non-skate board fans as it's quite subtle.

A big surprise was finding Jason Lee playing a fairly large role in the game, regularly cropping up as your first sponsor, a judge in contests and as a source of new tasks to try. He's even in a silly little spoof advert for golf lessons for some reason.

Minor quibles so far are that there's a small amount of slowdown from time ot time, generally when you can see a long way into the distance and there's lots on screen, and that the create a character mode is a little poor this time around.
Customisation isn't half as good as it used to be and the characters I made for online and career mode aren't quite up to the old games in which I could make fairly accurate versions of myself. This is mainly down to a lack of options for what the skaters look like, but going by previous TH games it's just a case of waiting till the next game when they'll probably keep all the stuff from this game and add a load more. Maybe even some downloadable content potential there.
What's also lacking are the other create-a-modes. Personally designed boards, parks and tricks are all missing for now. Not a big thing apart from the park editor, one of my favorite bits in the old games, but it would have been nice to have them.

As I say, thus far it's good. The difficulty has been ramped right up so I'm not breezing it like I did American Wasteland and as such I'm happy. I'm rank 140 out of 200 on career mode after about 4 hours of play (the objective being to get into the top 8, hence Project 8), I expect that I can only get so high without clearing a lot of tasks on Sick difficulty so it should last me a good long while. Probably give the online element a go tomorrow to see what it's like.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 18 2006, 12:27 AM)
Fair play on the job front my man, WORK MORE HOURS!  tongue.gif

I've managed to drag myself away, tiredness is dampening my enjoyment so I'm leaving it till tomorrow.

It's good so far. Tasks are tough and varied for the most part. The locations aren't half as contrived and stale as some reviews would have you think. Cut scenes are entertaining enough. Lots of real footage of the pros pulling off some ridiculous moves. Graphically it's nice, with the motion captured animation adding a great deal to the characters personality and over all feel of the game. That last one might be lost to non-skate board fans as it's quite subtle.

A big surprise was finding Jason Lee playing a fairly large role in the game, regularly cropping up as your first sponsor, a judge in contests and as a source of new tasks to try. He's even in a silly little spoof advert for golf lessons for some reason.

Minor quibles so far are that there's a small amount of slowdown from time ot time, generally when you can see a long way into the distance and there's lots on screen, and that the create a character mode is a little poor this time around.
Customisation isn't half as good as it used to be and the characters I made for online and career mode aren't quite up to the old games in which I could make fairly accurate versions of myself. This is mainly down to a lack of options for what the skaters look like, but going by previous TH games it's just a case of waiting till the next game when they'll probably keep all the stuff from this game and add a load more. Maybe even some downloadable content potential there.
What's also lacking are the other create-a-modes. Personally designed boards, parks and tricks are all missing for now. Not a big thing apart from the park editor, one of my favorite bits in the old games, but it would have been nice to have them.

As I say, thus far it's good. The difficulty has been ramped right up so I'm not breezing it like I did American Wasteland and as such I'm happy. I'm rank 140 out of 200 on career mode after about 4 hours of play (the objective being to get into the top 8, hence Project 8), I expect that I can only get so high without clearing a lot of tasks on Sick difficulty so it should last me a good long while. Probably give the online element a go tomorrow to see what it's like.

I would if I could but unfortunately I work what I'm given.

And it sounds good I'll have to look into purchasing it.
Omniscia
Been rockin' out with Guitar Hero II lately. It's nice!

Everything the first game did well is done better here, though I can't help but wonder what I'm missing without a second controller and a second player... The cooperative mode looks great, especially having tackled the bass parts in practice mode.

"Message in a Bottle" is particularly fun.
zeden
Ooo, that's out next week over here. The question is, do I splash out on a second guitar controller to be able to do multiplayer when it wont get used very often. It's a fair bit of extra cash. Hmmm...
maian
QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Nov 16 2006, 04:18 PM)
I'm really looking forward to SSBB, as not only is it the next in one of my favourite game series, but it's also bound to be online.

So I'll look forward to kickin' some of your arses on it, later on next year.
tongue.gif

You're going down, bitch.

On another note:

Something for the WoW fans out there

Certainly one of the cleverest things Matt and Trey have done over the years, though I've been disgusted by some aspects of it than I have in pretty much any other South Park.
m0r1arty
Do any of you guys know the name of the music from GTA - San Andreas?

The loading music with the sort of spooky bling sounds, it sounds a bit like that song 'I can can make you feel alright' or something like that.

Much appreciation in advance guys!

-m0r
Sir_Robin_the_brave
It's 'The Theme From San Andreas' comnposed by Michael Hunter. According to allmusic it's on the San Andreas soundtrack cd (the single disc edition)
zeden
Played some more Hawk. I'm now 60th out of 200. It's getting quite tough now because I'm running out of new tasks to soon will have to begin working on the one's did didn't finish on Sick, which is most of them.
Played online as well and it's pretty damned good. You can either join an existing game or host one yourself. The host has the power to choose game type from a fairly broad selection. Trick attack, highest combo, graffiti, walls, first to score a preset amount and first to combo a preset amount. Each one has adjustable timelimits as well, which is pretty good. The host selects an area, or group of areas to play in, you start in free skate mode, and can start or stop a game at any time. Once a match ends you stay in free skate and the host can begin another match or change the area.
Turns out I'm pretty good on the multiplayer leaderboards. I'm rank 281 on trick attack, 116 on score attack, 511 on the combo challenge (biggerst combo), 174 on combo mambo (highest scoring combo) and 71 on walls. Taking into account the sheer number of people on the boards, I'm pretty chuffed. I've also gotten an achievement for beating a either a member of the development team or someone that beat a memebe ro fthe development team. I hope it was someone from the team, that would be pretty cool.

Practice time!

edit: I can't find an option to invite friends to join a game. I can see Jubei is online, but can't invite him to play. Irritating.
Punkass
Picked it up about an hour ago. I will let you know what I think about it when I wake up. Until then, off to play some drunken Wii Tennis!

theevilresident101
Ooo. You have fun and please...do tell us you did.
zeden
I want an in depth review by tonight!
I kid of course, but do make a point of highlighting any niggles if there are any.

I'm now rank 7 on Project 8, which equates to finishing the game on amature level. Now to go and finish the rest of the tasks and set about the task of getting sick on everything.
Jinx
Just finished off Gears Of War on the Xbox 360. Blood, guts, gore, grime and nasty looking well armed foes around every corner. Highly recommend it!
m0r1arty
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Nov 18 2006, 05:33 PM)
It's 'The Theme From San Andreas' comnposed by Michael Hunter. According to allmusic it's on the San Andreas soundtrack cd (the single disc edition)

Thanks very much indeedy!

New Ringtone for me smile.gif

-m0r
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Punkass @ Nov 19 2006, 07:11 AM)
Picked it up about an hour ago.  I will let you know what I think about it when I wake up.  Until then, off to play some drunken Wii Tennis!

Yopu lucky sod.
Punkass
Overall I would say the Wii is quite nice. Played all the sports games last night. The sensor is a bit picky, but it is much better than I thought it would be. I know most of you guys do not like baseball, but it really shows off how well the sensor really works. As far as motion is concerned, the harder you swing, the further the ball goes (same with throwing). Golf is pretty much the only one that seemed difficult to be accurate at. Boxing uses both controls, you have to hold them up to block, then different swings obviously are different types of hits to the person.

Now to Zelda. This has the exact same feel as the N64 versions (I never played the Gamecube one). Starts off pretty slow, I was a bit bored actually until you actually start to use the sword. Oh, by the way, make sure you read about how to fish before you waste your time trying to figure it out. I only got to play it a couple of hours, but I think this is going to be a pretty good game. Like I stated before, if you liked the N64 versions, I think you will easily like this one.

I also just rented Exite Truck but have not gotten a chance to play it yet. I will let you know what I think about it after doing so. I am terrible at reviews, so sorry if it is rubbish. If there is anything you guys want to know I will try to answer them.
fatseff1234
Is it come-worthy?
Punkass
I do not know if I would say that, but if someone walked in on you playing the game, it may look like you are having a wank with some of the motions you have to do with the controllers. Yes, I do believe the it is worth the cost.
fatseff1234
Come on, I know you're lying.
zeden
Utter twat wastes a hell of a lot of money.
Yeah that guy is cool...

Oh, look, the foll did it again.
Wow, what a statement. He must be so proud. Twat.
monkeyman
I honestly don't get it.

They have to pay hosting for the sites and they didn't even get enough donations to cover the cost of buying it. (upon further investigation I see he plans to sell the video rigths =/)
Not only that but he was an ugly bastard.
zeden
Sell the video rights? HA! Who is going to pay for that? What is it useful for? I was really hoping that someone from the queue would batter him right there and then, he deserves it for being such a ponce.

Played some Gears of War yesterday. Jebus that's a good looking game. I'd go as far as to say that I've never seen anything better looking. Everything about the visuals is spot on, the textures are highly detailed, lighting effects are crisp, character designs are distinct and memorable and the war zone is brilliantly designed.

I played co-op with my mate Beezer on Insane difficulty, he'd already finished the hard difficulty setting. I was apprehensive about starting out on such a high difficulty, but I'm glad we did though. I love this game. I was under the impression that it was some kind of squad based tactical shooter, in the same vien as Ghost Recon, but was pleasantly surprised to find a very different style of play.

With the camera perched over your characters right shoulder, you are thrown into a variety of situations revolving around the tactical use of cover and outsmarting the enemy. It might sound quite basic, but the satisfaction of swiftly moving between cover without being spotted until you're right behind a powerful enemy is great. The variety of uses for cover is apt and satisfying. Crouching behind a wall allows you to shoot blindly over it or pop your head out to allow accurate aiming, this is also possible when stood at a doorway or behind a pillar. You can quickly hop over a wall and run to cover in one swift movement, dive from one piece of cover to another, edge around corners and make quick runs around corners. Doesn't sound like much, but when you're trying to out flank a group of heavily armoured enemies, all using cover themselves, making these swift moves between cover is great fun.
The weapons thus far are quite typical in what they do, but are distinct enough in their design to be interesting. One weapon, a machine gun with a chainsaw on the front, is particularly cool because you get a nice gory animation when you catch an enemy with it. One feature of the weapons in GOW is the reload. When you reload a small meter appears at the top of the screen. A small line moves across it and pressing reload a second time stops the line. Stop it in the right place and get a perfect reload, miss it and you have to take a few seconds longer to reload. It's a small thing, but it adds nicely to the gameplay and can make for some frantic moments when you mess it up.

Playing co-op was far more fun than Halo on co-op. The variety of tactics available in any situation is wide enough that you can play the same section over and over and do something different everytime, as I found from semi-regular deaths and having to repeat a few sections. Despite the occasional deaths, one thing I must admit is that it wasn't massively challenging. For me to be able to pick up a pad and go straight into the hardest difficulty setting without repeatedly having my ass handed to me was strange. Admittedly I'm not bad at aiming with the analogue and the button set up is similar to that of every other 360 FPS, but I was also making a lot of silly mistakes that should have cost me were the game truely hard. This isn't an issue really, but it would have been nicer to have to go down a setting or two safe in the knowledge that I could return to a higher difficulty after getting some experience. Legendary difficulty this is not.
I'll be borrowing it as soon as I possibly can, I'm looking forward to having a go on the single player mode, maybe that's where the challenge is.

The 360 finally has it's first exclusive that truely makes use of the power available and it's good. Very good.
monkeyman
It is pretty damn incredible isn't it.
My friend got it the other day and it is frikkin beautiful. Easily the best looking game out there for the 360 and one of the first games I've seent hat makes awesome use of cover and the need for tactical sneakage to outflank the enemy.
fatseff1234
Shut up damn you, you're making me want to by it and I can't.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.