Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Computer Games III
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
fatseff1234
That's a tad harsh. The Wii's graphics aren't exactly brilliant but they're not "years behind".
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Nov 28 2006, 11:11 AM)
That's a tad harsh. The Wii's graphics aren't exactly brilliant but they're not "years behind".

In 1998 I was playing Half Life at 1024 x 768. The best the Wii can manage is 640 x 480, 8 years later. I would be willing to bet my five year old PC running games of a similar visual quality as the Wii would outperform it.
NiteFall
Yes, but how many casual gamers are willing to shell out for an HD TV just to play games on? Frankly that's all that you'll be doing in HD at the moment, unless you're willing to shell out the frankly ridiculous amount of cash that Sky charge for an HD box and subscription.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Nov 28 2006, 11:29 AM)
Yes, but how many casual gamers are willing to shell out for an HD TV just to play games on? Frankly that's all that you'll be doing in HD at the moment, unless you're willing to shell out the frankly ridiculous amount of cash that Sky charge for an HD box and subscription.

You can buy a cheap PC monitor for under 100 quid, which is cheaper than most TVs. You don't need a HDTV to see a game in high def. Most people probably have a screen capable of displaying HD in their house without even realising it.
NiteFall
exactly. Most people will assume that they will need to buy a new HD TV to play games in HD, especially with the current massive marketing push on HD TVs, and for most people that's just one extra expense too many to factor into whether or not they'll buy a new console. Especially slightly techno-illiterate parents who are just buying for their kids and may assume that because a 360 or PS3 says HD on the box that they'll need an HD TV to use it, whereas they'll see the Wii and straightaway think "ooh, I can use that without a big expensive new telly, I'll get that for Jimmy".

My god but working for the Dixons group made me a cynic.
UnderSpaced
Well, I'm playing a whole bunch of games at different times since my nephew came to visit. Right now, I'm playing: Marvel Ultimate Alliance, X-Men Legends II, Call of Duty 2, Brothers in Arms Road to Hill 30, and Silent Hill 2. I don't think I'll finish any time soon. happy.gif
monkeyman
Fucvk you and your Silent Hill 2, right in the ear!

I really want to play it but I have lost my copy and don't want to buy a new one right now. They are still a fair bit for such an old game
Jubei
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Nov 28 2006, 11:54 AM)
It sure is. Guitar Hero II(I) is coming to the 360.

Magnificent! What do you mean by II(I)? Are they both coming out? Are they coming out in one double game pack? They would be good for sure. (By the way, I'm at work, so I can't check myself right now.
zeden
As far as I know it's only Guitar Hero 2 that's being ported. I've read nothing saying that both will be included in one pack.
Omniscia
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 28 2006, 06:34 AM)
You do remember how Nintendo have stated that they are not competing graphically don't you? You're also way off base saying Nintendo have "finally" caught up to the PS. If graphics is what makes you buy a game/console then fair enough, but drawing comparision between the decidedly better graphics of the Wii and the decade old graphics of the PS1 is just silly.

1: No, I don't recall Nintendo stating that.

2: It's called hyperbole.

3: I don't put much stock in graphics if the gameplay isn't there, but it looks a blurry mess. Less-snazzy graphics are fine, but when it's so washed-out you can barely make out what's on the screen, you have a problem.
monkeyman
You should check out Zelda dude. Vurry nice game, and thats not even pushing the Wii to it's limits.

I had a great laugh playing Battlefield 2 with my mate yesterday, we were in a squad together and using Teamspeak to relay info and stuff to each other. It was great to be watching each others backs, or having one of us drive whilst the other mans the weapons.
I saved his ass a whole bunch and he saved mine. He is pretty godly at the game though, he's been playing FPS online on a PC for a lot longer then me, maybe 4 or 5 years more than me. The only one I ever played online was BF1942 but that game got old real quickly.

[Boring]My new PC is a beast, it can run BF2 at all high settigns with 2x Anti Alising on. I would post a screenshot but I took it to the local computer shop to get wiped, see my mate did a system clear on it and reinstalled windows but for some reasont he PC retained some stuff, like his internet favourites, and also a bunch of his IP's for the connections, it seemed to be (but may not have been) fucking up BF2 when I tried to update servers, it would find about 150 when it should be finding 4000....hopefully getting the PC set to factory conditions will sort it. We thought it might be a firewall issue but it wasn't.
It essentially meant I had to manually input the IP and Port of whatever server he wa son to play with him. [/Boring]

I'm trying to decie wheter to Buy Battle for middle Earth 2, Oblivion (+expansion), Half Life 2(+ expansions) Or battlefield 2142.

@Zeden:I rinsed Medium on all 4/5 stars now except for Cowboys from Hell and Bark at the moon. They are a fucker. need a bit more practice for them.
Going to hard is gonna end me.....and you were right about building up a resistance,it's pretty cool, the dexterity in my little finger has improved a lot as well; nto just for the game, but for general use. GH is a healing tool I tell ye'
Nonus Aequilibrium
I'm getting seriously annoyed with the police chases in NFS Carbon now. I'll hit a pursuit breaker, then as it leaves the cutscene for it, a spike trap has magically appeared 2 feet from where it returns control of my car and there's absolutely nothing I can do to stop myself going over it. After you've just spent 20 minutes trying to lose them, only to be ripped off like that, it's an absolutely critical bug I can't believe they didn't fix.
NiteFall
Omniscia
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 29 2006, 08:57 AM)
You should check out Zelda dude. Vurry nice game, and thats not even pushing the Wii to it's limits.

I would if I had a Wii. Until everyone who's borrowed money from me pays me back, I'm in no position to buy anything like that. Plus, they're nowhere to be found around here, at this time.

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 29 2006, 08:57 AM)
I'm trying to decie wheter to Buy Battle for middle Earth 2, Oblivion (+expansion), Half Life 2(+ expansions) Or battlefield 2142.

Pick up Oblivion! Half-Life 2 is certainly fun, but doesn't offer the same experience by half. As far as shooters go, it's certainly a good one -- it plays great, looks great, sounds great, offers some memorable moments (like the airboat level), and can run well on even lower-end systems. Of course, you have to put up with Steam...

Oblivion, on the other hand, gives you a big chunk o' real estate to explore, chock full of hidden caverns, icey crags, snowy mountain peaks, lush forests, and ancient ruins. There's the usual save-person-X/defeat-baddie main storyline, which is handled well enough, but the real fun is in running around the countryside, gallavanting from city to city, and following the various side-quests you come across. The faction quests are far more involved than I can recall Morrowind or Daggerfall ever being, and are actually interesting and fun to play. And, if you just want to go and smash things, the arena combat is fun, if you're strong enough to survive.

It's far more of a system-hog than Half-Life 2, however.
monkeyman
My new system is pretty sexy.
I can run it at quite high settings. I think I'll get it for PC and then install that levelling mod that's floating around. the one that actually allows you to be stronger then enemies as you level.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Jubei @ Nov 28 2006, 04:44 PM)
Magnificent!  What do you mean by II(I)?  Are they both coming out?  Are they coming out in one double game pack?  They would be good for sure. (By the way, I'm at work, so I can't check myself right now.

I've read somewhere that it's number 2 coming to us and I've also heard that it's a completely new game so I don't really know. It should be good though.
NiteFall
What's the going trade-in value for an X-Box, PGR2, Halo 2, Forza and Fable? Only if it's more than £50 I'll be heading over here at some point to take advantage of this offer...
Drifter
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Nov 29 2006, 07:32 PM)
What's the going trade-in value for an X-Box, PGR2, Halo 2, Forza and Fable? Only if it's more than £50 I'll be heading over here at some point to take advantage of this offer...

Thats good considering the cheapest Ive seen them go for is about £65 for the console only
SkipToTheEnd
Championship Manager 2001-02... now that was a game!
zeden
If you like football themed spreadsheets it is. tongue.gif
My brother is really into his management games, he gets the latest Football Manager game every year. I can't understand the appeal, the best I can come up with to explain it is that he likes stat management type stuff, being that he's heavily into RPGs as well. I've tried on multiple occasions to try and play the various versions he's got, but I play for about fifteen minutes and get bored out of my skull.

Played some more Guitar Hero 2 last night on Hard mode. Nothing too trying yet, I'm about half way through the game and I've managed to easily get through every stage so far without even coming close to losing. I'm still improving my technique though, getting much better at the hammer-ons and pull-offs which makes it a little easier. It's silly how much more useful they are now, pulling them off in GH1 was next to impossible making Cowboys From Hell an utter nightmare.
UnderSpaced
Finally played a demo of the Wii at my local game store. The Wii is a great system, although it took me a while to get used to the remote, and aiming the bow on Zelda was pretty hard for me. The sensor seems to be really sensitive.
zeden
Cipher Complex
Don't think anyone has brought this up. Looks to be the change to the stealth genre I've been waiting for. I simply cannot be arsed creeping around in games like Metal Gear and Splinter Cell, I want something a little more action packed. The ideas this game has about speeding up the stealth element and making the combat more interesting instantly grabbed me. The link is for the PS3 version, but it's also coming out for the 360.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 30 2006, 01:58 PM)
Cipher Complex
Don't think anyone has brought this up. Looks to be the change to the stealth genre I've been waiting for. I simply cannot be arsed creeping around in games like Metal Gear and Splinter Cell, I want something a little more action packed. The ideas this game has about speeding up the stealth element and making the combat more interesting instantly grabbed me. The link is for the PS3 version, but it's also coming out for the 360.

I can't see the link, but the idea sounds interesting. Not sure how you can speed up stealth though, wouldn't that defeat the object of it?
zeden
The link definitely works, must be your comp.
The concept is that you don't crawl and sneak everywhere, you move quickly and silently instead, running between cover instead of creeping. It's also much more focused on the combat element, part of the description talks about how instead of sitting and waiting for guards to walk past, you'll be getting in there and taking them out.
The most interesting thing was about using adrenaline as the characters main ability. Use of adrenaline allows you to quickly take out large groups of enemies at close quarters in the blink of an eye, dodge bullets and move quickly and quietly. It doesn't seem that this is done using the tired bullet time concept either, which makes a change.
It's early days on this game right now so it'll probably change a bit by the time it sees the light of day, but right now it looks good to me.
UnderSpaced
Yeah, that game does look very promising, because I hated having to wait and sneak around in the other games.

and the link worked for me.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
Sorry I meant to say that I can't see the link because my work has blocked it. Interesting concept but the adrenaline thing sounds mightly similar to that of Far Cry Instincts.
monkeyman
I like stealth games sad.gif

Nothing more satisfying than to complete MGS3 haing killed every enemy without setting off a single alert (quite a feat I might add).

And Tenchu is my favourite game in the world. Though I can fully understand not havign the patience for that kind of shit.

I'll tell you what I hate the most is an action shooter that has a random stealth section or two thrown in, it's really annoying, I just want to shoot shit, not try and sneak around using underdeveloped sneakage that was added on to the game.

Cipher Complex looks frikkin beautiful and definetely like a game I'd like.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
I like stealth too. I am willing to look at a variation of the stealth/action hybrid though.
zeden
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 30 2006, 03:25 PM)
Cipher Complex looks frikkin beautiful and definetely like a game I'd like.

Exactly the reason I posted it. I know you well sir. wink.gif
NiteFall
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 30 2006, 04:25 PM)
Nothing more satisfying than to complete MGS3 haing killed every enemy without setting off a single alert (quite a feat I might add).

Try doing it with 0 kills, 0 alerts and 0 special items used.

I've managed it once. On hard though.

In other news I've been playing X-Men legends II for the last few days and have just managed to level Nightcrawler to the point where he becomes a game-breaker. I'll probably stop using him now as it takes the fun out of it a tad.
monkeyman
I can't play it without killing people, I like it too much.

It's funny, because my friend played it using just the Tranq pistol,and on the Sorrows level he had no trouble. but it took me about 20 minutes having to walk past the ghost of every fucker I'd shot in the face laugh.gif
Sir_Robin_the_brave
The Sorrow must have taken me nearly forty minutes as I'd gone kill crazy near the beginning of the game and slaughtered hundreds of guards. Foolish.
fatseff1234
That game sounds weird.

Cipher Complex sounds fucking awesome.

Call Of Duty 3 is coming along nicely and I would highly recomend it to any FPS lovers out there (except you Nonus wink.gif). Good old nazi-bashing fun.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 30 2006, 02:10 PM)
part of the description talks about how instead of sitting and waiting for guards to walk past, you'll be getting in there and taking them out.

That just sounds to me like they've missed the whole point of stealth games if you ask me. The greatest sense of satisfaction in a stealth game is having completed the mission with the absolute minimum amount of detection, which means NOT killing anyone other than your target (if there even is a target). Why would you need to be able to dodge bullets? If you were any good at being stealthy then no one would be firing them at you in the first place.
fatseff1234
I think you've missed the point tongue.gif. The emphasis is on taking enemies out quickly and efficiently instead of sneaking about.
zeden
Indeed. It's still stealth, you'll need to get close to the enemies in order to take them out and the guard AI, according to the preview, is good enough that you wont be able to just run headlong into an enemy without getting shot to pieces. While the game is more focused on the action side of things it appears to mix well with the stealth.
empathy-with-beast
Paying Dawn of War: Winter Assault, getting it out of the way before I get the new one. Does anyone have experience of this game? I keep on failing the second mission, the bit with the Eldar, without any explanation of why it is I'm failing.
UnderSpaced
Played more Silent Hill 2 for a change and I'm at the Hospital. Is it scary in there?

Oh and I also got Samurai Warriors and Superman Returns.
Punkass
Got Call of Duty 3 for the Wii, and I thought playing an FPS with analog stick was bad. Not good at all.
monkeyman
QUOTE (UnderSpaced @ Dec 2 2006, 06:28 AM)
Played more Silent Hill 2 for a change and I'm at the Hospital. Is it scary in there?

Oh and I also got Samurai Warriors and Superman Returns.

Oh hell yes the Hospital is freaky.
UnderSpaced
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Dec 2 2006, 12:13 PM)
Oh hell yes the Hospital is freaky.

Oh that's great to know. sad.gif I think i'm a little scared now.
monkeyman
I had to turn off the music in SH2 at one point. Playing alone in an empty house, in the dark at midnight I was getting so sketched out and tensed I was sweating and the music was really getting under my skin. I couldn't stop playing though.....
UnderSpaced
I had no problem with the first Silent Hill. It didn't scare me at all, but there's something about this one that scares the crap out of me.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Punkass @ Dec 2 2006, 02:55 PM)
Got Call of Duty 3 for the Wii, and I thought playing an FPS with analog stick was bad.  Not good at all.

It's all backwards isn't it? We have had the perfect controller in the mouse for years and years for playing FPS, and as time goes on we keep expanding them onto controllers that make things successively worse. Analogue stick is tolerable at least after quite a long period of getting used to it, but it'll still never compete with a mouse. I dread to think what trying to play with a Wii controller will be like.
monkeyman
A rollerball instead of an one of the analogue sticks would be awesome.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Dec 2 2006, 11:14 PM)
A rollerball instead of an one of the analogue sticks would be awesome.

I don't know about awesome. Possibly "slightly better", but still, a good mouse is pretty much perfection in first person shooters.

I wonder what it'd be like trying to control one with a graphics tablet?
NiteFall
I know an architect who uses a graphics tablet so much that he can no longer play FPS' with a mouse, he's just too used to a graphics tablet. He kicks ass with it as well. Personally I've only ever used a graphics tablet for RTS gaming, where it is what I believe the kids refer to as "teh win".
fatseff1234
Graphics Tablet?

Call Of Duty 3 is devouring my social life at the moment and I can't quite figure out why.
NiteFall
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Dec 3 2006, 06:45 PM)
Graphics Tablet?

One of these.

Like using a pen and paper instead of a mouse.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Dec 3 2006, 06:09 PM)
One of these.

Like using a pen and paper instead of a mouse.

Is that a render of a graphics tablet by any chance? It doesn't look real.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.