Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Computer Games III
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
NiteFall
Wait for Subsistance- the free rotational camera adds a whole new element to that.

Been playing Commandos: Strike Force today. Not as good as I was hoping. A tad ugly a tad unwieldy and a tad dark. good concept rather clumsily executed. I'll persevere though, it may grow on me.
monkeyman
Hehe, I bought MGS3 a hell of a long time ago. Subsitence has been getting pushed back a lot recently as well.
Plus theres no way I could not have bought it, the wait would have ended me.

Commandos stopped being the greatness after COmmandos 2 sad.gif
Simsydav
I just picked up Spiderman 2 again, as I left it incomplete about a year and a half ago. Last time I played it, I was in hospital, thinking about it.

Anyway, does anyone else have it? Im stuck on the bit where you have to fight Octapus on the train. I cant dodge in time!
zeden
QUOTE (Simsydav @ Aug 30 2006, 02:53 AM)
I just picked up Spiderman 2 again, as I left it incomplete about a year and a half ago. Last time I played it, I was in hospital, thinking about it.

Anyway, does anyone else have it? Im stuck on the bit where you have to fight Octapus on the train. I cant dodge in time!

Is that the bit where you need to stick his claws to the floor so you can hit him? It's been so long since I played the story though that I can't really remember. All I can suggest is making sure that you hit the dodge button at the right time. tongue.gif

I'm starting to get good at Halo again now. My kill to death ratio is getting to be quite good, had a couple of big team matches last night where I got 20+ kills and less than 10 deaths. Probably play some tonight, perhaps a few of us could finally get together for a couple of rounds?
Jubei
QUOTE (zeden @ Aug 30 2006, 11:13 AM)
Probably play some tonight, perhaps a few of us could finally get together for a couple of rounds?

I will do my ever so best to get online tonight. I'll probably be playing PGR3 or the Just Cause demo but message me and I'll switch.
Nonus Aequilibrium
If I'm still around at work when you're playing (reasonably likely) I'll join in, though I'll probably get whupped. Oh and my HDTV is knackered, I'm having to put up with my CRT screen while a replacement arrives, so no doubt I'll use that as an excuse.

Edit: Actually, Halo 2 is original Xbox isn't it? No HD anyway. Damn, I'll have to think of another excuse.
zeden
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 30 2006, 01:11 PM)
Edit: Actually, Halo 2 is original Xbox isn't it? No HD anyway. Damn, I'll have to think of another excuse.

No excuse is good enough before my prowess!

Now watch me get my ass handed to me tonight as come-uppance for my bragging. happy.gif

There was a new patch for Halo yesterday by the way. They've made a few adjustments to the levels that only someone as strangely attentive to the level design as I am would notice. Not had a proper chance to see what they've done apart from on Relic, where a few bits of scenery have changed shape slightly to stop people hiding behind them so much.
monkeyman
QUOTE (Simsydav @ Aug 30 2006, 02:53 AM)

You have to dodge and fire webbing don't you? It's easy tongue.gif

Hit dodge then triangle straight after.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (zeden @ Aug 30 2006, 10:13 AM)
Probably play some tonight, perhaps a few of us could finally get together for a couple of rounds?

I would love to but Halo 2's gay. I might ring up customer services and see what they can do.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Aug 30 2006, 04:55 PM)
I would love to but Halo 2's gay. I might ring up customer services and see what they can do.

If I can borrow a 360 copy of Quake 4 I'll railgun you in the face some time.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 30 2006, 04:01 PM)
If I can borrow a 360 copy of Quake 4 I'll railgun you in the face some time.

Go for it, I have Prey as well but that's quite shit on Live.

Also I've decided to ring the support line and so far they've kept me on hold for 16 minutes, I think I'm destined not to play halo 2 on live.

Well after a full half an hour I managed to speak to someone, basically what the problem was was that beause I'm under 18 my parental account had to say that I was allowed to play original Xbox games on Live so now I'm sorted, I can play all sorts of Halo 2 goodness with you people.
Simsydav
And then what? Hit him?

So do I need circle, triangle then try and punch him?

I managed to do the dodge and web a few times, but I didnt know how to get to him and punch him, as whenever I did, the claws would throw me away.

I couldnt stand to close to him, as I was dodging because it wouldnt give me enough time to dodge. I think I need to spend more time on the dodge game in the arcade bit.

I think my main problem, is I dont normally dodge when Im fighting, I normally just jump away, and attack, then jump away, then attack, rather than do the nifty finger work, doing combos and such.

In fact the only combo I use really, is the web the hit them (you pull them) then triangle and sqaure again, and you launch youself into them.

I cant do the other stuff, I never remember the combos.

I wish I could get my xbox live to work. I bought it a few months ago, and have two different cables for it, both types that you can possibly need, it doesnt work at home, throught the computer OR through the internet connector thing. And it doesnt work at my dads through the computer. Its really annoying, oh and thats on two different xbox's.

sad.gif
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Simsydav @ Aug 30 2006, 04:46 PM)
I wish I could get my xbox live to work. I bought it a few months ago, and have two different cables for it, both types that you can possibly need, it doesnt work at home, throught the computer OR through the internet connector thing. And it doesnt work at my dads through the computer. Its really annoying, oh and thats on two different xbox's.

sad.gif

Try ringing the support line, they might not be the fastest ever but they get results.
zeden
QUOTE (Simsydav @ Aug 30 2006, 05:46 PM)
And then what? Hit him?

So do I need circle, triangle then try and punch him?

I managed to do the dodge and web a few times, but I didnt know how to get to him and punch him, as whenever I did, the claws would throw me away.

I couldnt stand to close to him, as I was dodging because it wouldnt give me enough time to dodge. I think I need to spend more time on the dodge game in the arcade bit.

I think my main problem, is I dont normally dodge when Im fighting, I normally just jump away, and attack, then jump away, then attack, rather than do the nifty finger work, doing combos and such.

In fact the only combo I use really, is the web the hit them (you pull them) then triangle and sqaure again, and you launch youself into them.

I cant do the other stuff, I never remember the combos.

I'm pretty sure I remember how to do this now. You're gonna have to learn to use the dodge move I'm afraid, but it's a piece of piss anyway and very useful later in the game. Whenever Spiderman's head flashes press dodge, simple as that. Press the web attack button straight after the dodge animation and you should stick one of Oc's claws to the ground. I think you need to do this twice so that he has no free claw to hit you away. Then you can give him a couple of good smacks. He'll escape, then you repeat until he's dead.

I strongly suggest you learn how to use the dodge move and the combos that come with it. There's one move in particular that allows you to launch a really strong area attack after dodging, I think it costs a fair few points but it's a life save when surrounded by a bunch of enemies who block 99% of your attacks.
monkeyman
The 360 degress spinning kick after a dodge is the best move in the game biggrin.gif
zeden
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Aug 30 2006, 06:31 PM)
The 360 degress spinning kick after a dodge is the best move in the game biggrin.gif

That's the bad boy. There's also a great move that you can only do in focus mode where you knock the enemy in the air then repeatedly kick them. It kills any normal enemy and if you drop out of focus once you've triggered the kicking animation it fills the focus bar back up again.

It's one other best games in recent years to just muck about with. Hanging criminals from lamp posts, swinging them round your head and piledrivering them off the top of the Empire State are all top bit of pointless fun.
fatseff1234
Just had my ass handed to me on Halo 2.

It's great fun.
beatoswald
The aiming on Farcry for the 360 is very frustrating. It seems to go slowly and then accelerate uncontrollably. I fiddled with the sensitivity a bit which was little help. I can't be bothered to play the game with such aiming. I'd kill for a mouse and keyboard.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Aug 30 2006, 07:28 PM)
Just had my ass handed to me on Halo 2.

It's great fun.

I'm trying to get in a game now. The matchmaking screens in Halo 2 are utterly abysmal. All I did was hit quickmatch and it's complaining that I don't have the right maps... Well choose a game that I do have the right maps for! What a pile of shit.
zeden
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 30 2006, 08:22 PM)
I'm trying to get in a game now. The matchmaking screens in Halo 2 are utterly abysmal. All I did was hit quickmatch and it's complaining that I don't have the right maps... Well choose a game that I do have the right maps for! What a pile of shit.

You need to buy the map pack sir. Then we can play some big team battle, my favorite. Didn't play too great tonight, I blame it on work fatigue.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 30 2006, 07:22 PM)

That haqppened with me too, you can download the maps for free. We need to all organise a big team match and whup some other players, although I am shite.
Simsydav
Yay! I did it!

Thanks! I think my problem was going to attack him with only one arm down. Was easy with your help!

However, the next mission is bloody annoying, stupid plasma explosion.

There are 8 button things, 4 in the four corners of the starting room, one in a side room, and one underneath, where are the other two?

God, I must seem so crap. All I really do is web swing around, carrying those workmen who are going to fall. Its fun jumping off the tallest building and free falling to the ground, until the last second.
monkeyman
It's even more fun to capture an enemy and spend ages getting to the top of the empire state building. Then pildriving him all the way from the top into the road.

The first panel is straight ahead of you, so turn it off. The second one is
on the roof right by you, so wall climb up to it and shut it off. You
have to be right on top of it to shut it off. The next three are in the
corners of the room, so jump around and shut each of them off. The next
three are inside the only doorways of this room. The last one is under
the floor, so you have to wall climb to it. To get to it, go through
the hole between two of the doorways. This one is the hardest to get,
so use your Spider reflexes with L1 and boost with L2 to get it if you
have to. When you turn them all off, a cut-scene begins.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/sp..._man_2_ng_b.txt ^^
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Aug 30 2006, 11:28 PM)
That haqppened with me too, you can download the maps for free. We need to all organise a big team match and whup some other players, although I am shite.

Are they just on marketplace?
Jubei
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 31 2006, 09:23 AM)
Are they just on marketplace?

No, go into Xbox Live menu in Halo and one of the buttons will take you to the Content Download section. I think it's an option where you can choose Quickmatch, Optimatch, Create Game, Content Download. I think.

This will close Halo2 and open the content download manager, remember Halo 2 was out before Lives all inclusive marketplace download emporium. From here, you'll need to download all 3 map packs. Once you're done, restart the game and you should be away.

Also, sorry I didn't join in last night, I got guilted into not playing the xbox. Apparently I don't spend enough time with my girlfriend. Does she not understand? When I'm playing the Xbox, I'm still there. I can still respond to questions with a grunt, and if she times it right, she can have 30 seconds of conversation between games. What more does she want?
zeden
QUOTE (Simsydav @ Aug 31 2006, 02:51 AM)
However, the next mission is bloody annoying, stupid plasma explosion.

There are 8 button things, 4 in the four corners of the starting room, one in a side room, and one underneath, where are the other two?

God, I must seem so crap. All I really do is web swing around, carrying those workmen who are going to fall. Its fun jumping off the tallest building and free falling to the ground, until the last second.

By no means sir, that last mission with the plasma explosion/avoiding Oc stuff is a bonafide nightmare. Took me quite a few tries to get through it. As for just mucking about, that's what I love so much about the game.

It's rare that I would go back to any game after finishing it once, highly unusual that I would complete a game twice and the fact that I've gone back to it again is unheard of in recent years, what with my shrinking amounts of free time. Love that game and everything about it. Roll on Spiderman 3, I can only pray that they make an updated version of Spiderman 2 and not the travesty that was Ultimate Spiderman.
Simsydav
Ooo How do you capture an enemy?

I know who to hit them with the big splash thing, and do the web thing, but how do you capture him?

Yeah Spider man 3 better be good. I remember I borrowed the first one off of my freind, and it was crap. Although, I did like the fact, that when you were inside, you could zip line to the roof, and down. That was cool. But it was stupid when you were outside, you die if you go too low for gods sakes!

Does anyone remember first game? On the original playstation? That was awesome! With the yellow haze-sky.
NiteFall
The new outdoor PvP in WoW is really quite fun.
Nonus Aequilibrium
Just playing Ninety Nine Nights. Christ on a bike it's bad. It's seriously bad.

Edit: Gamepro have a video up of Call of Duty v2.01... er, sorry, I mean Call of Duty '07... oh no, Call of Duty 3, that's it. I wonder if the day will ever come where Infinity Ward will actually try and make a new game instead of releasing the same one over and over.
Jubei
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 31 2006, 12:52 PM)
Just playing Ninety Nine Nights. Christ on a bike it's bad. It's seriously bad.

I downloaded the demo on live. I got bored of it after about 2 minutes. It's got pretty cutscenes - although they move their mouths like they've just had dental anaesthetic - and there are, admittedly, lots of enemies, but it's just so boring. And the running between battles? Run faster damn you!

I also just downloaded the Just Cause demo, but I haven't tried it out yet. I haven't heard entirely positive things about it, which is a shame, as I have it on pre-order. Please! live up to the hype.
zeden
QUOTE (Jubei @ Aug 31 2006, 01:38 PM)
I also just downloaded the Just Cause demo, but I haven't tried it out yet.  I haven't heard entirely positive things about it, which is a shame, as I have it on pre-order.  Please! live up to the hype.

I had a post all lined up ready to go about that before lunch, but it's disappeared somewhere. Hope I've not put it int he wrong thread...
I didn't like it at all. It felt like a cut down version of GTA with bad controls. I think you're gonna want to cancel that pre-order after playing the demo, it's certainly not worth 40 by any stretch.
monkeyman
A cut down version? Really?
I was under the impression it had a lot more to offer.
Then again all I've seen is a bunch of screens and I read a preview.
zeden
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Aug 31 2006, 02:56 PM)
A cut down version? Really?
I was under the impression it had a lot more to offer.
Then again all I've seen is a bunch of screens and I read a preview.

I played it for about 15 minutes then got really sick of the rubbish controls and stopped. There were a couple of neat touches, you can open the parachute you carry while riding a motorcycle to launch yourself into the air and jump onto the top of your car while driving in order to jump off it. That's as much origionality as I saw. There's probably more, but I'm of the opinion that it's better to wait for the next GTA rather than play the 101 copycats that have one or two new ideas because ultimately GTA will better whatever the others have done.
The graphics were very standard as well, nothing I've not seen done better already.
fatseff1234
I downloaded the Dead Rising demo.

My god it's fun.
Jubei
Bugger. I'd read a while ago that the graphics were expectef to be stunning. And the amount of space you have to roam around is is supposed to be enormous. Also, maybe they'll tweak the controls before it's released *hopes*.

I may get it anyway, I like the idea of sparking a revolution then parasailing off to the other side of a south american island to gun down some rebel types. And it only cost me 29.99 to preorder on Amazon.

Perhaps they knew something we're only now finding out..?
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (zeden @ Aug 31 2006, 03:33 PM)
There's probably more, but I'm of the opinion that it's better to wait for the next GTA rather than play the 101 copycats that have one or two new ideas because ultimately GTA will better whatever the others have done.

To be honest I've always seen GTA as a good idea poorly executed. I've been waiting for someone to copy the idea but do a better job. The driving in GTA is absolutely awful, for one thing.
monkeyman
The driving in Driver3 was much better. Driver 4 was shite though (the driving). And Driver 3 was just shit on foot and ludicrously difficult.
Nonus Aequilibrium
I think I give up trying to find something good about Ninety Nine Nights, it really is utterly, utterly dreadful. It's in the same league as DOA4's shitness.
Simsydav
I like the driving in Driver 4.

Driv3r was a pile of shite. You can tell by how the spelt it.

Today I bought (as they were on a nice deal) Far Cry - (the new one) Sniper Elite (i got it because you can have 2 player coop on all the missions. 2 player coop sniping! biggrin.gif ) and another game, which I have forgotten, and havent gone on yet, because I got it as you can do 4 player shooting coop.

I like my co op games. Theyre easier, and more fun. Playing games that are single player are a bit boring. Death matches are good, but I prefer to play with other people, rather than against them all the time.
monkeyman
Bully update: http://uk.ps2.ign.com/articles/729/729620p1.html

Perhaps the most inviting thing about Bully's combat system, though, is that it isn't just limited to combo moves and a series of repetitive attacks. Even in the early version we sampled, Jimmy can already pull off humiliation moves from the start (press circle when prompted after you've done enough damage). These humiliations put an automatic end to the fight and add a bit of visual "oomph" to the action. Our personal favorite is the classic "Why are you hitting yourself?" technique that allows you to punch an enemy in the face with his own fists.

laugh.gif
Being successful in different classrooms means that you can get a number of cool goodies too; do well in shop and you'll be able to upgrade your bicycles (you're too young for cars); excel in photo class by snapping pictures of preset locations and you'll earn a photo album; paint nicely in art class and you'll become better at talking with women (which increases your chances of getting kissed, and therefore your health); fix the word jumbles in English and your apology skills will increase when confronted with bullies and teachers; and of course, if you do well in chemistry, you can make cooler and more elaborate items with the chemistry set in your bedroom.

Sleeping isn't something you can just skip either, as staying up too long before your next day will make you drowsy -- blurring the screen and making it harder to see. It also slows down your reaction times and overall running speed.

The combat system is also a mix betwen the Warriors and GTA which sounds pretty cool. This game is looking like it could be really good fun happy.gif
curtinparloe
Well, I'm playing nothing, as my PC is royally fucked up. Coaxing, pleading and threatening it all have no effect. I can't run any apps, and I can't uninstall/reinstall any.

I have a sneaking suspicion it's the latest security patch for Microshaft Windup XP, finally admitting that all applications are a threat to the flimsy OS.

I'm going to have to leave System Restore on for this install, and just hope for the best.
Jubei
Right, I've played that Just Cause demo now, and I absolutely loved it. Graphically, it was very nice I thought. I'm sure on HD it would look even nicer. Lush greens, dappled light, dirt tracks, red sunsets. Lovely. The driving (especially the jeeps) seems to have been ripped directly from the A-Team stunt drivers manual - hit rock=flip car and slo-mo - excellent! The parachute - bloody amazing. I took a helicopter up as far as it would allow me and then freefalled across the island. It's an awesome sense of... freefall. On foot aiming and shooting is fine, the auto lock on makes life pretty easy. The only controls I disliked were the helicopter controls, but I think that was because I kept swinging the camera round going 'ooh, there's a mountain range in the middle of that big island, wonder whats up there' or 'wow, this map is fucking huge!'. That's what amazed me the most, the map. Zoom out on the map and you reallise the nice big island you'r on is just a little islet at the top left of the 'world'. I'm now really looking forward to this game.
m0r1arty
Does anyone want to try out the beta for The Chronicles Of Spellborn?

Check out www.tcos.com for details.

It's a MMORPH (or whatever)

-m0r
Simsydav
Argh!

Does anyone have Colin Mcrae 2005?

Ive had it for a while, but have only recently tried to get the Lancia (something or other, not the Intergrale)

Its on the career section, when you get the Xsara, but on the other bit of that section. Can anyone give me some tips on the UK stages? I hate those fucking stages! You cant see anything, the walls merge toghethor, and theres so many fucking gates!

I need help!
monkeyman
The UK stages are always the toughest. Unfortunately I suck at Driving games that have any semblance of realism to them and the lost Colin McCrae game I played was on the PS1 and I nearly snapped it in half. SO I can't help you. laugh.gif

EDIT:

Spent over an hour gfighting "The End" on MGS3. He is a sniper who can blend into the jungle really well, to get his gun after he dies you have to beat him by reducing al of his stamina, to get his Camoflague you have to sneak up right behind him and hold him up with the shotgun...whcih is no easy feat (the other bosses all drop their secial Camo after a fight if you beat them by reducing their stamina).

Anyway, it was damn good fun stalking through the jungles looking for him with thermal goggles and the directional mic. Finally caught up to him, held him up and got the moss camo, after he chucks it he throws a stun grenade then runs away, I shot him in the back of the head and he fell off of a cliff,was most amusing. I finished him with the tranq gun and got his rifle, a Mosin Nagant with Tranq rounds instead of bullets.
Oh and the moss Camo you get from him is great. 100% Camo index in grass (no other camo gives you 100% anywhere) and in sunlight you will regain Stamina (the camo has some of the Ends power to photosynthesize).

/Geek
It's quite interesting, Sigint (a weapons/tech expert on the codec) tells you the Mosin Nagants are actually just normal bolt action rifles but the most precise and higher quality ones are taken from the production line and modified into the Sniper rifle. The more you know!
NiteFall
I love The End bossfight, it's probably the fight with the most neat little touches in it. For example, when you start the fight, go left and up towards the armoury hut. Pull out your sniper rifle and on the right roof corner there's The Ends parrot. If you stun it and capture it, if you let it go it'll fly to him. If you kill it he goes mental and starts shooting wildly.
Nonus Aequilibrium
Rockstar have decided to rename "Bully" outside of the US for some reason. It's now called "Canis Canem Edit" (Latin for "Dog Eat Dog").
monkeyman
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Sep 1 2006, 03:16 PM)
I love The End bossfight, it's probably the fight with the most neat little touches in it. For example, when you start the fight, go left and up towards the armoury hut. Pull out your sniper rifle and on the right roof corner there's The Ends parrot. If you stun it and capture it, if you let it go it'll fly to him. If you kill it he goes mental and starts shooting wildly.

I caught it and ate it one time.
The End was not, happy. Though I think you need to eat it to complete the "all foods" mini mission. if you eat one of everything in the game you unlock the EZ gun for your next play through.
NiteFall
Possibly the thing I was most proud of managing playing MGS3 was countersniping The End after spotting his location from the reflection of his sniper scope. That or managing to catch the super-rare Tsuchinoko snake.
monkeyman
Hehe, I did that on my first play through, before someone told me that you could get secret Camo's by winning through draining the Bosses Fatigue instead of their Health.
It felt so beautiful, it is one of my favourite boss battles of all time.

I did attempt to catch the snake and then realised I couldnt be bothered. It will be a long time before I play it through for a third time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.