Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Computer Games III
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
monkeyman
I have Ace Combat 5 and I just can't seem to get into it sad.gif.

Maybe Im just shit* but often i'm spending ages trying to maneuvre into a decent positionto always finish the last enemy off.

*I'm Shit.
Nonus Aequilibrium
Wii European details: 180, December 8th.

20 quid less than an Xbox 360? They can stick that one up their arse then.
zeden
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Sep 15 2006, 01:56 PM)

Sounds like a fair price to me, given the amount of stuff you get with it as well as the unique features it boasts. Comparing it to the 360, especially the rubbish core unit version, is a bit harsh given that it's not intended to compete on the same terms or audience.

As I said a while ago, I'm only really interested because of the console specific games and multiplayer uses of the thing. From the looks of things the 360 is going to be my single player console of choice and the Wii will be for when my mates come over, but time will tell I guess.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (zeden @ Sep 15 2006, 03:40 PM)
Sounds like a fair price to me, given the amount of stuff you get with it as well as the unique features it boasts. Comparing it to the 360, especially the rubbish core unit version, is a bit harsh given that it's not intended to compete on the same terms or audience.

The Xbox 360 core is the fairest thing to compare it to, since it's effectively just a 360 with no hard drive, which the Wii doesn't feature either. That's my point though, it's not intended to compete, it was supposed to be a cheaper alternative, but the fact is, it's not that much cheaper! Both consoles are close in terms of pricing, yet the 360 features far more expensive hardware. 180 to me sounds like a plain and simple rip off.
GundamGuy_UK
All consoles retail for less than the manufacture cost of the unit, with them making money on the games. 360 games cost 40 each. Wii games will cost 25-30 each. So when you think of it that way, it's not a rip-off.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Sep 15 2006, 05:12 PM)
All consoles retail for less than the manufacture cost of the unit, with them making money on the games. 360 games cost 40 each. Wii games will cost 25-30 each. So when you think of it that way, it's not a rip-off.

Not true, Nintendo announced at the same time that the games would be 35-40, again, roughly the same as 360.
Sean of the Dead
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Sep 15 2006, 05:20 PM)
Not true, Nintendo announced at the same time that the games would be 35-40, again, roughly the same as 360.

Well, only one of my 360 games cost less than 40 and that was preowned...

The whole Wii money issue doesn't apply to me too much as my birthday is two days after the release so I'll be getting one kick arse present this year.

Sometimes, just sometimes, it's great being a kid.
monkeyman
Heh a lot of people in the game industry are pissed at Nintendo as they are the only Company who will be selling their Console at a profit.

So the PS3 and Xbox are selling at a loss to cut cost and raise sales and these critics feel Nintendo should be doing the same with the Wii.

Meh I'm not bothered. The Wii is looking to be a great console and under 200 quid is good.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Sep 15 2006, 05:20 PM)

Really? My sources are incorrect then.

It's still worth the money.

We're also forgetting that it comes with Wii Sports too for that money. What does the 360 Core come with? A lack of a harddrive, is all. That and it's not a proper 360, which costs 279. And the PS3 is still looking at over 500.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Sep 15 2006, 06:01 PM)
Well, only one of my 360 games cost less than 40 and that was preowned...

Then you're buying from the wrong places. Apart from special edition tin things I've not seen any games over 39.99 on play.com or amazon.co.uk. I got both Hitman and Moto GP 06 for 25 quid each on play. 40 quid is pretty much a standard price for a new game online.

Oh and as for the Wii game price, I got that off Eurogamer's commentary of the live presentation that Nintendo were doing, so if I'm wrong, blame them.
zeden
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Sep 15 2006, 06:50 PM)
Oh and as for the Wii game price, I got that off Eurogamer's commentary of the live presentation that Nintendo were doing, so if I'm wrong, blame them.

Nah, you're right.
maian
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Sep 15 2006, 01:56 PM)

That's annoying since the comparative prices in America and Japan are 131 and 113 respectively. I'll still buy it but I was perhaps a bit too hopeful that the price would be closer to those.

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Sep 15 2006, 06:29 PM)
Heh a lot of people in the game industry are pissed at Nintendo as they are the only Company who will be selling their Console at a profit.

So the PS3 and Xbox are selling at a loss to cut cost and raise sales and these critics feel Nintendo should be doing the same with the Wii.

It was the same with the Gamecube when it launched, although the profit margin was considerably smaller.
monkeyman
Pisses me off that prices always get jacked up a shitload for European gamers =/
Omniscia
Picked up Resident Evil 4 for my PS2, the other day. So far, it seems promising, but I'm definitely going to need more practice with the controls if I'm going to survive! I can't yet aim well with the analog sticks; give me a mouse!

Also, it would be so much easier if you could run in the game, instead of just inching along through hordes of blade-wielding miscreants who always approach from just out of the frame...

And if I could figure out how to turn Progressive Scan on (I know, it's in the manual), maybe the graphics wouldn't suck so much.
monkeyman
>.> Square button is run. Unless you are being sarcastic and suggesting it's too slow.

Recently started replaying Wipeout pure on my PSP. God this game is an aesthetic beauty. And fun to boot. I remember a time when me and a friend would only ever play WIpeout and Tenchu on the PS1 whenever I went round to his. Good times.
Omniscia
You mean there is a run button!? ohmy.gif

I press every possible key combination I could think of!

Maybe my PS2 is just dying. It already won't load No One Lives Forever, and assumes that the down-key is always being pressed, in NCAA Football 2K3... And it freezes a lot.
monkeyman
Hehe, just Square button and Analogue stick forward.

EDIT:You can do a 180 turn by pressing back and Square as well.
UnderSpaced
Maybe it was sarcasm, but it happened to my friend too. He didn't know he could run until about 1/3 of the way through the game! Funny stuff.

EDIT: Oops a lilttle late to reply.
Omniscia
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Sep 16 2006, 11:33 AM)
Hehe, just Square button and Analogue stick forward.

EDIT:You can do a 180 turn by pressing back and Square as well.

No, really, I tried that.

I'll give it another shot, but I really do suspect my PS2 is on the blink.

Either way, the controls still disappoint me. They're nowhere near as fluid as they should be. Now, God of War, that has great controls!
monkeyman
I cant figure out how to assign Units to groups in Age of Mythology =/

You can only select a Finite number of units at one time and it makes it a pain trying to send specific units to attack specific things. It's aggravating me so I might just install the pure awesome that is Shogun Total War.
GundamGuy_UK
Finished Ace Combat: The Belkan War this afternoon. It was too short (18 missions, but there are another 6 or so I haven't done because some are multi-choice), but other than that it was great. The length doesn't bother me too much as I love to replay AC games.

Of course, I've not really "finished" it yet, I've just completed the Campaign for the first time. Still got many Aces to shoot down, medals to get, and planes to buy. And I have to get S-ranks on every single mission before I can say I've completed it. And that'll take a fair while.
monkeyman
I broke out Ace Combat Suaqron Leader yesterday. I liked it for a while and then I lost interest again sad.gif

It's fun but there didn't seem to be much difference between missions.
GundamGuy_UK
Zero does solve that problem somewhat. It doesn't have any of those annoying "protect the slow-moving and defenceless plane/ship from huge numbers of enemies" like the other games, and your wingman (only 1 this time) uses the same plane each time so you don't need to buy good planes for him.

The experience points system for getting new planes is gone too. Remember how in 5 there's an ace pilot in each mission? They have a name after their plane type and are harder to kill, and you get their colour scheme if you beat them? Almost everyone in Zero is that level of difficulty, and then the real aces in it are even harder. You face off against entire squadrens of enemy aces, all of whom are far more difficult than your standard grunts.

So it's 20-odd levels of tougher enemies, in bigger maps and the maps are more varied. I'm a huge fan of 4 and 5, so I adore it, but I think a casual fan of 5 would like it too. There's also a VS multiplayer for 2 people which I've not tried yet, but it's apparently better than 4's.
monkeyman
I think I'll give it another bash tomorrow. Changing the view to "3rd person" increased my interest in it. It's nice to actually see the plane in action smile.gif
Nonus Aequilibrium
Not far off level 50 on Dead Rising now. I finished the three day mode but for some reason all the main story just said expired round about day two despite the fact that it wasn't time yet. I decided to play on, got myself just over 10,000 zombie kills, rescued twenty something survivors. Started it again and now I'm putting absolute max priority on the main story. Got to an extremely annoying part now though.

Edit: Did anyone get one of these with their copy of the game?

Omniscia
Dang it, I want a PC port of that game, now!
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Sep 17 2006, 01:49 PM)
Not far off level 50 on Dead Rising now. I finished the three day mode but for some reason all the main story just said expired round about day two despite the fact that it wasn't time yet. I decided to play on, got myself just over 10,000 zombie kills, rescued twenty something survivors. Started it again and now I'm putting absolute max priority on the main story. Got to an extremely annoying part now though.

Edit: Did anyone get one of these with their copy of the game?

You'll've failed a main mission or not gotten back to the security room in time to trigger a main mission, I've done it a fair few times and I really want that face plate can I have it? And what's with the green Hard Drive?
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Sep 17 2006, 03:42 PM)
You'll've failed a main mission or not gotten back to the security room in time to trigger a main mission, I've done it a fair few times and I really want that face plate can I have it? And what's with the green Hard Drive?

Green hard drive = Xbox 360 Launch Team special edition console tongue.gif.

This is what my normal faceplate looks like:

Omniscia
If Microsoft were to drop the price of the 360, with hard drive, to, say, $280 or so, I'd go for it. But I'm still not ready to drop $400 on a console with only one or two games I'd want to purchase for it.
monkeyman
The advantage of you thinking that way is by the time it drops to a decent price there will be more games you'll want. WINWIN!
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Sep 17 2006, 04:19 PM)
If Microsoft were to drop the price of the 360, with hard drive, to, say, $280 or so, I'd go for it. But I'm still not ready to drop $400 on a console with only one or two games I'd want to purchase for it.

You'd hardly complain at $400 for a high end gaming PC would you though?
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Sep 17 2006, 03:09 PM)
Green hard drive = Xbox 360 Launch Team special edition console tongue.gif.

This is what my normal faceplate looks like:

Lucky sod.
zeden
I didn't get that Dead Rising face plate unfortunately. Where did you buy it Dave?

Played a load of Dragon Quest yesterday. 53 hours in and I still don't feel like I'm even getting near the end. I've not even been messing about or taking my time about it, this game is just incredibly hard.

Played some Unlimited mode on Dead Rising and god is it hard. No healing item respawn at all... mellow.gif
fatseff1234
QUOTE (zeden @ Sep 17 2006, 05:12 PM)
Played some Unlimited mode on Dead Rising and god is it hard. No healing item respawn at all... mellow.gif

Is that just a basic "see how long you can last" or are there missions and things?
Cornetto
Dead Rising was being a hard bugger in Overtime mode (after the 3 day main story mode) found a good way 2 kill special forces one by one by pressing X and A up close whilst they are shot you can throw them on the floor which kills them instantly and continually pressing X and A suplexs them which is most gratifying, need 2 collect 10 queen bees now any suggestions where to farm these to save time?
zeden
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Sep 17 2006, 06:15 PM)
Is that just a basic "see how long you can last" or are there missions and things?

It's see how long you can last against everyone. You even have to fight the civilians in unlimited mode.

QUOTE (Cornetto @ Sep 17 2006, 06:16 PM)
...need 2 collect 10 queen bees now any suggestions where to farm these to save time?

Go in and out of Carlito's hideout. The zombies that spawn nearby will often have a queen or two in them.
monkeyman
I played Tenchu 2 for the first time in ages. I ususally play the first one every few weeks as I love it but not the 2nd. The 2nd is solid. To get Grand Master ranking you have to kill everyone on the level with a stealth kill and got a certain amount of points. Th epop up is horrendous as well. It's difficult to see sometimes.

<3 Tenchu1 though.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (zeden @ Sep 17 2006, 05:32 PM)
It's see how long you can last against everyone. You even have to fight the civilians in unlimited mode.

Harsh.
Drifter
Ive a couple face plates for my 360....a ltd ed Halo one, the free Dead Rising one which I actually sold on Ebay for 30....a Quake 4 one, a Ghost Recon one, some blue water type one and a lime green pattern one...my old man has just come back from travelling SE Asia and he said they sell them there dirt cheap so he got me the Halo one and PGR 3

Omniscia
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Sep 17 2006, 11:26 AM)
You'd hardly complain at $400 for a high end gaming PC would you though?

No, I would not. But a high-end gaming PC can also be used for word-processing, graphics editing, video editing, sound editing, MIDI composition, banking, et cetera. It's far more versatile than a console. And you can aim with a mouse.
fatseff1234
Zeden my good man where did you snipe the Convicts from?
Drifter
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Sep 17 2006, 11:10 PM)
Zeden my good man where did you snipe the Convicts from?

Get a sniper rifle from the gun shop before the owner appears and you must fight him. If you do not make it and you must fight him, the easiest way to take him out is to run back out of his store, kill the zombies outside, then shoot him with the handgun or Uzi. When you get the rifle, go to the park where the three prison convicts are found. There is a picnic area with benches just outside and to the right of Paradise Plaza. You can jump on top of this structure. This will keep you from having to worry about zombies jumping on your back while you scope the jeep from far away. The jeep usually seems to get stuck near the food court with its back to you. While on top of this structure, you can actually kill all three convicts with the rifle if you are positioned correctly. Once they are dead, just jump down to get access the .50 cal.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Drifter @ Sep 17 2006, 10:23 PM)
Get a sniper rifle from the gun shop before the owner appears and you must fight him. If you do not make it and you must fight him, the easiest way to take him out is to run back out of his store, kill the zombies outside, then shoot him with the handgun or Uzi. When you get the rifle, go to the park where the three prison convicts are found. There is a picnic area with benches just outside and to the right of Paradise Plaza. You can jump on top of this structure. This will keep you from having to worry about zombies jumping on your back while you scope the jeep from far away. The jeep usually seems to get stuck near the food court with its back to you. While on top of this structure, you can actually kill all three convicts with the rifle if you are positioned correctly. Once they are dead, just jump down to get access the .50 cal.

Thanks muchly, although I stole my rifle from the three snipers tongue.gif
Drifter
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Sep 17 2006, 11:44 PM)
Thanks muchly, although I stole my rifle from the three snipers  tongue.gif

either way, still works!
zeden
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Sep 17 2006, 11:44 PM)
Thanks muchly, although I stole my rifle from the three snipers  tongue.gif

I did the same, didn't even go near the gun shop till day 3. And Drifter was spot on with getting on top of the shelters in the leisure park as well, by the way. Tis a piece of piss doing it like that.
dandan
i had a quick search and couldn't see it, so i thought i'd post this;

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/topics/wii_p...vie/lineup.html
Nonus Aequilibrium
Nice, just managed to shoot down a helicopter. From the same place as you snipe the convicts.
zeden
SCARE MONGERING ANTI-GAME SHOW IN ITV RIGHT NOW!
monkeyman
I watched that. There didn't seemto be much point to it.

If your kids play to many videogames take the fucking consoles/PC's off of them. It's not rocket science.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (dandan @ Sep 18 2006, 04:15 PM)
i had a quick search and couldn't see it, so i thought i'd post this;

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/topics/wii_p...vie/lineup.html

Ok, any thoughts of buying a Wii have now been banished completely. I didn't see anything in that video that looked even remotely good. Not a sausage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.