Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Computer Games III
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
GundamGuy_UK
Poison and fast zombies, regardless of location. And those poison headcracbs...
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Oct 20 2006, 07:51 PM)
For me, it was Ravenholm.

Yeah, those really fast zombies were nasty. Apart from that though, HL2's scary atmosphere wasn't even in the same league as Condemned or System Shock 2.
fatseff1234
Anyone know if the Xbox version of Farenheit is 360 compatible?

I've heard it's a great game but my PC's too shit to play it.
beatoswald
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Oct 22 2006, 12:50 AM)
Anyone know if the Xbox version of Farenheit is 360 compatible?

It seems it is not yet.

There's a list of compatible games here.
mousespider
I finally got Bully and must say that it's great. Not as good as I expected, but good none the less, and very funny.
Omniscia
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Oct 21 2006, 06:47 PM)
Yeah, those really fast zombies were nasty. Apart from that though, HL2's scary atmosphere wasn't even in the same league as Condemned or System Shock 2.

Nothing really gets me like those psychic monkeys in SS2. I only wish that guy who borrowed it from me had given my CD back... I wouldn't mind playing that one again.

However, I must say that Condemned freaked me out, on the whole, much less than Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines did. Whether it's the zombie-infested crack house, the haunted, ruined hotel, or the creepy video-production facility, there were some really chilling levels in that game.
GundamGuy_UK
Speaking of scary, Silent Hill 2 came yesterday. I've had my friend over for the weekend (who hates video games), so I've not had a chance to play. I'll have a go once night comes tonight though.
DazDaMan
I'm currently tearing the legs off swimmers and sinking the Amity PD flotilla in:

The game's had some mixed reviews for one thing or another (my main grumble is the God-awful rendition of John Williams' classic theme, which can be downloaded from the web (and I suspect that's what they did!)), but for the most part I enjoy it.

Don't see why it's given an 18 certificate, though. It's certainly no more violent than many of the games I've got, and the rendering of body parts is only really clear if you're up close to them - and most of the time you're not! rolleyes.gif
fatseff1234
QUOTE (beatoswald @ Oct 22 2006, 01:07 AM)
It seems it is not yet.

There's a list of compatible games here.

Bollocks.

Oh well.

Cheers for the list.

EDIT: Does anyone know if the Xbox version of Half Life 2 is worth getting? I've heard mixed reeviews but it'll be the only way I get to play it. Damn you shit PC.

Also I've just ordered The Suffering. Any good? it was only a fiver.
GundamGuy_UK
Been naughty...

19 inches of awesome for 30. I saw it in a model shop and just couldn't resist. The colours are much better in real life than that picture. Shame the accompanying Jill (who wasn't there, and I wouldn't have gotten anyway) looks a bit crap. should have had her dodging the attack from Nemesis.
shinyelvenqueen
I'm having trouble finding a game for my hubbie as a wee pressie. He like RPG mainly but bought Paraworld recently and loves that. So when I asked him what he wanted he couldn't think of much. Anyone got any ideas?

And its for PC only. Don't have PS2/Xbox/other.
Punkass
Playing "Bully" right now for the PS2. It is pretty much like a mix between GTA and The Warriors in a school environment. I think the constantly load times are going to turn me away from the game. Still not as bad as the load times in Yakuza though.

Edit: Queen, my buddy was telling me about a new PC RPG that just came out, but I cannot remember the name. I left a voice message for him to let me know.
Omniscia
QUOTE (shinyelvenqueen @ Oct 22 2006, 05:58 PM)
I'm having trouble finding a game for my hubbie as a wee pressie. He like RPG mainly but bought Paraworld recently and loves that. So when I asked him what he wanted he couldn't think of much. Anyone got any ideas?

And its for PC only. Don't have PS2/Xbox/other.

If your hubbie would like a decent CRPG, you can't go wrong with any of the Elder Scrolls series. Oblivion is perfect, if he wants a large world to explore, with plenty of dungeons, interesting quests, strange creatures, and gorgeous scenery. If you've got a system that can handle it, and he doesn't already have it, 11.99 isn't too much to ask for it. Its predecessor, Morrowind is also worth the price of admission. 9.97 for another world to explore, plus two expansion packs.

Hopefully, he's already got one, or both.

Otherwise, if he hasn't played Fallout yet, he might like that! It's a genre classic. Fallout and its sequel, Fallout 2, can be had together in this handy pack for 8.99, along with a forgettable action-oriented spin-off.

As for forthcoming games, Neverwinter Nights 2 looks promising.
UnderSpaced
Well my friend and I have beaten Justice League Heroes and Mortal Kombat Armageddon. Didn't realize how short both games were.
zeden
EDIT: Does anyone know if the Xbox version of Half Life 2 is worth getting? I've heard mixed reeviews but it'll be the only way I get to play it. Damn you shit PC

I would wait for a few months. There's a 360 version of HL2 on the way with HL:Episodes 1, 2 and 3 plus Portal thrown in. I'm glad I held off on getting the Xbox version solely because I figured they would bring it out on the next gen consoles, nice when a prediction pans out.

Kingdon Hearts 2 has gotten a fair bit better now, but it's taken almost 30 hours of play to get there. The level design is still quite dire, but the difficulty and scale of the enemies has gone right up. Each level has now had additional areas open up as well as an additional boss for each, which is a big relief after each of the levels initially taking only around an hour to complete. It's still pretty easy, but at least I actually want to play it for more than just the plot now.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (zeden @ Oct 23 2006, 09:12 AM)
I would wait for a few months. There's a 360 version of HL2 on the way with HL:Episodes 1, 2 and 3 plus Portal thrown in. I'm glad I held off on getting the Xbox version solely because I figured they would bring it out on the next gen consoles, nice when a prediction pans out.

That'll do me.

Any idea when it's coming?
shinyelvenqueen
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Oct 23 2006, 12:19 AM)
As for forthcoming games, Neverwinter Nights 2 looks promising.

Thanks Omniscia, the last one is a possibility. It used to be so easy when I were a nipper. One game. ping pong.

Anyone played this yet?
zeden
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Oct 23 2006, 11:29 AM)
That'll do me.

Any idea when it's coming?

Not a scooby-doo. I'd suggest the usual of checking around on IGN for info. If anyone knows when HL:Episode 3 comes out I'd guess it would be around then.

3 weeks till Tony Hawk... mellow.gif
The wait is still driving me nuts.
Drifter
I hear MS are supposedly might be releasing a 100GB hard drive for the 360 along with all the other extra add ons like keyboard, HD DVD, webcam (already on sale) in an attempt to keep up with the Jones' or Sony's PS3 as they like to call it which still looks like an early Betamax VCR to me.

Id hate to know how much the 100 would cost considering they charge you 60 for a 20GB drive or if like me you got one extra free cause when you sent your machine back cause it broke down one month later you told them you had the HD attatched when really you didnt cause you didnt want to lose all your saved game data!

Anyone else have a time with their 360 after launch date? 3 bloody times I had to send it to MS because the fucking thing died on me in one and a half months of owning it! I was told they are more likely to break down if you stand the machine up rather than lay it down, this from the technical staff at Xbox repairs, whats the point of making it so it can stand up then?

You wouldnt believe the crap I went through with them but thats another story....
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (zeden @ Oct 23 2006, 10:12 AM)

As Episode 3 of Half Life 2 isn't going to be released on the PC until Christmas 2007, it would be a long time until a 360 version with everything you mentioned would be released. It seems unlikely they would bundle them altogether, do you have a link to this news?
zeden
I don't know how on earth I would fill a 100gb harddrive for the 360. I've got loads of space at the moment on my 20gb and that's with a bunch of CDs and demos saved to it. Unless there's going to be some huge downloadable content on the way then I can't see myself ever needing a harddrive that big. As for the keyboard (I'm assuming that there's a mouse to go with that?), I'm not a big FPS player so I'll probably miss that too. The webcam is a temptation, it appears to have Eyetoy-like games on it, which I'm a big fan of and it looks like you'll be able to put your own face on created characters in some games (Tony Hark being the one on my mind right now) which would be a nice touch. HD-DVD has no appeal at all, I'm sure as hell not going back to buying films for 20 for the sake of a minor improvement in picture quality.

I waited to get my 360 as I watched my mate repeatedly complain about having to call Microsoft to get his picked up and shipped out to be fixed. It came back and broke again. I shouldn't have, but I laughed. Then I got mine when Oblivion came out and have never had any kind of problem with it, touch wood. I do stand it up though, maybe I should remedy that if it's liable to cause problems.

Half Life 2-Maybe Episode 3 wont be in that pack. But it would appear that episodes 1 and 2 will.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Drifter @ Oct 23 2006, 12:00 PM)
all the other extra add ons like keyboard,

What's the point in that? You can plug any old bog standard USB keyboard into the 360 anyway.

I could do with a bigger hard drive though. I always thought 20GB was a bit measly, especially when half of it's already taken up by pre-installed guff. Mine's got about 5GB free at the moment, I've got every single Xbox Live Arcade game on it, and about five demos, but no music besides that stuff that was already on.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Drifter @ Oct 23 2006, 11:00)
Anyone else have a time with their 360 after launch date? 3 bloody times I had to send it to MS because the fucking thing died on me in one and a half months of owning it! I was told they are more likely to break down if you stand the machine up rather than lay it down, this from the technical staff at Xbox repairs, whats the point of making it so it can stand up then?

You wouldnt believe the crap I went through with them but thats another story....

I think mine too was a tripple whammy of dissapointment.
Jubei
Haven't been around for a while, and can't bing myself to read through all these posts to check, but has everyone heard of Halo Wars? A Halo universe based RTS from the makers of Age of Empires. There's a pre-rendered trailer on the website. Looks COOL! A nice addition to the Halo universe there, and nice to see an RTS designed specifically for the 360.

On related note, I heard there's a blip on the Halo movie front, the big production companies pulled there funding. Bother.

Oh, and is that true about the keyboard fo the 360? i never tried one but that sounds handy.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Jubei @ Oct 23 2006, 06:08 PM)
Oh, and is that true about the keyboard fo the 360? i never tried one but that sounds handy.

I use mine for putting codes in to download stuff on marketplace. And write text messages. It's not exactly vitally important. I don't think you can use it in any games.
m0r1arty
Nightfall is out at the end of the week.

Should while away a few evenings for me on the cheap.

-m0r
Omniscia
Picked up The Guild 2 (the sequel, more or less, to Europa 1400) today, having preordered it long ago, and F.E.A.R., because it was finally on sale around here.

Hopefully, The Guild 2's manual is lying about needing Windows XP to play it, because I'm not upgrading from Windows 2000 Professional just yet.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Jubei @ Oct 23 2006, 05:08 PM)
Haven't been around for a while, and can't bing myself to read through all these posts to check, but has everyone heard of Halo Wars?  A Halo universe based RTS from the makers of Age of Empires.  There's a pre-rendered trailer on the website.  Looks COOL!  A nice addition to the Halo universe there, and nice to see an RTS designed specifically for the 360.

On  related note, I heard there's a blip on the Halo movie front, the big production companies pulled there funding.  Bother.

That should be cool. Let's hope they give us managable controls.

Battle For Middle Earth 2 was ruined becuase of shitty controls.

Burnout: Revenge is fun but it's no Burnout 2.
fatseff1234
The Suffering dropped through my door earlier.

I've now been playing for three hours straight. I'm fucking loving it. I especially love the way you can be good or evil.
Drifter
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Oct 24 2006, 07:21 PM)
The Suffering dropped through my door earlier.

I've now been playing for three hours straight. I'm fucking loving it. I especially love the way you can be good or evil.

1 or 2? 1 is a fantastic action packed game although I didnt really use his insanity meter monster much, well not until the end couple of levels - never did play 2 though, heard it was shite.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Drifter @ Oct 24 2006, 06:43 PM)
1 or 2? 1 is a fantastic action packed game although I didnt really use his insanity meter monster much, well not until the end couple of levels - never did play 2 though, heard it was shite.

Number 1 and no I haven't used it at all I don't think, except when you had to ofcourse.
Nonus Aequilibrium
43/50 achievements now on Dead Rising. I'm on my way to getting 50 survivors.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Oct 24 2006, 07:39 PM)
43/50 achievements now on Dead Rising. I'm on my way to getting 50 survivors.

Good luck.

i need to start that again because I didn't go and meet Isabella at ten sad.gif
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Oct 24 2006, 08:54 PM)
Good luck.

i need to start that again because I didn't go and meet Isabella at ten sad.gif

Just finished it now. Getting all 50 survivors is bloody annoying and hard, but not quite as bad as I thought it'd be. If you attempt it, make sure you're a) level 50, b) have the real megabuster and c) get the three chainsaw books. It makes things significantly easier.
zeden
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Oct 24 2006, 11:18 PM)
Just finished it now. Getting all 50 survivors is bloody annoying and hard, but not quite as bad as I thought it'd be. If you attempt it, make sure you're a) level 50, b) have the real megabuster and c) get the three chainsaw books. It makes things significantly easier.

My buddy Beezer (gamertag Beezorro) managed to do the 50 survivors a few weeks ago. At one point he was in the top 300 players in the world, which was quite impressive. Not sure if he's gone down now, I would expect so. He played that game to death, 3 consecutive plays through doing different things each time. I don't know how he could find the motivation to do that. It's a good game, but not that good.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (zeden @ Oct 25 2006, 09:47 AM)
My buddy Beezer (gamertag Beezorro) managed to do the 50 survivors a few weeks ago. At one point he was in the top 300 players in the world, which was quite impressive. Not sure if he's gone down now, I would expect so. He played that game to death, 3 consecutive plays through doing different things each time. I don't know how he could find the motivation to do that. It's a good game, but not that good.

The only thing that makes it hard is the fact that the game has been appallingly paced. Most of the time you don't have time to just grab one group of survivors and take them back to security room straight away, you have to get them, then take them with you to the other side of the mall into a psycho fight and try not to let them get killed (psycho fights are incredibly easy with megabuster though, one or two shot kills mostly), grab more survivors, grab items you know from previous experience you're going to need, then return. All with dumb AI that can't pathfind to save its life. Then you finally get back to the security room with only seconds to spare, then find yourself with nothing to do for four hours. I got 52 survivors (there's only 53 possible), and then had to wait 16 hours with nothing to do. They could have spread it out a bit better.
Nonus Aequilibrium
Bloody hell. Splinter Cell Double Agent has to have the worst tutorial/training mission ever. It completely fails to do what it sets out to do, which is teach you how to play the game.
monkeyman
I think it looks pretty poor as well considering it's 360.
Some bits are nice but the lack of clothing animation and the odd patchy texture really stuck out when I watched my buddy play.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Oct 25 2006, 03:57 PM)
I think it looks pretty poor as well considering it's 360.
Some bits are nice but the lack of clothing animation and the odd patchy texture really stuck out when I watched my buddy play.

That's because it's multi platform. The game has to run on multiple formats, they don't have time to make the highest quality assets for 360 as well as make the cut down versions for previous gen consoles. The better looking games on the 360 tend to be exclusive to 360. I wish the PS2 and original xbox would just die off and developers stop supporting them. Not going to happen for a while, but it is annoying. I always thought the same of games on PC that looked shit because they had to run on consoles, despite the fact that even a mid-range PC could do far better.
fatseff1234
Is it normal for me to be installing multiple updates for The Suffering. I installed about 6 or 7 last night before getting bored and started to play reguardless. I'm still instaklling at the moment and I started about 30 minutes ago.
monkeyman
Anyone who works on the DOA games should be shot. CtrlAltDel pointed out this stupid fucking volleyball trailer to me http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/10/23/ne...hes-the-limits/

Not only are the character models shoddy and the boobs stupidly bouncy, but the hair looks goddamn terrible. A 360 game it does not look at all.
curtinparloe
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Oct 25 2006, 10:54 PM)
Anyone who works on the DOA games should be shot. CtrlAltDel pointed out this stupid fucking volleyball trailer to me http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/10/23/ne...hes-the-limits/

Not only are the character models shoddy and the boobs stupidly bouncy, but the hair looks goddamn terrible. A 360 game it does not look at all.

That is so shit. Never mind the anti-gravity jelly tits, the cloth dynamics and collision detection are very shoddy. Thank god I have no interest in the game.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Oct 25 2006, 10:54 PM)
Anyone who works on the DOA games should be shot.

Amen to that. DOA4 was utterly abysmal.
zeden
DOA has been crap since it hit the xbox. DOA 2 on the Dreamcast (and PS2 I think) was the last one that was actually playable without fights turning into the now typical "3 hits and your dead" type of match. The origional was great, it had some genuinely interesting features, such as a few arena where you couldn't touch the floor outside the ring otherwise you'd take huge damage and go flying into the air. It made for some very tactical matches. I think that feature is still around, but with the current system of needing to be amazing at guards and parries it doesn't really fit.
It's still nothing comparred to Soul Calibur.

That reminds me, and don't take my word on this, but I read on Teletext last week that a some big shot at Namco has expressed an interest in working with Sega to make a cross-over fighting game. Virtua Fighter/Fighting Vipers vs Tekken/Soul Calibur. mellow.gif
Please god let this be true.
I'll try and track down some info later if I've got time.
monkeyman
*Sigh*
Bully is still in the news, it's released tomorrow and I will definetely be getting it. One of my good friends in America has gotten it and played it for 13 hours straight laugh.gif .
It annoys me that the PM's that are trying to ban it are completely ignoring certain factors. They are concentrating on "It's violent". But ignoring the fact theres no death or blood and that you dont just beat anyone up, the only people you fight are "Bad" people. It's about, to a certain degree, standing up for yourself and others who arent strong enough to =/
fatseff1234
QUOTE (zeden @ Oct 26 2006, 09:41 AM)

But what is?

I'm looking for a decent RTS with knights and whatnot.

Any reccomendations?

PC's shit by the way so it'll have to be fairly old.
zeden
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Oct 26 2006, 04:51 PM)
But what is?

I'm looking for a decent RTS with knights and whatnot.

Any reccomendations?

PC's shit by the way so it'll have to be fairly old.

Tekken comes a close second in the 3d fighter stakes, but isn't really close to Calibur at all.

If your PC is crap I would suggest Shogun Total War, or whatever version of Total War your PC will play.
monkeyman
Shogun Total War with the expansion is sex.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (zeden @ Oct 26 2006, 01:41 AM)

Awww, I haven't played SC in an age.
fatseff1234
Shogun: Total War it is then. I'll try and hunt a copy out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.