Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How To Lose Friends And Alienate People
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > Spaced: Above and Beyond > Cast Watch
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Kick in the Head
Empire Online reports Simon Pegg is to play Toby Young in an adaptation of How To Lose Friends And Alienate People:

Chronicling Young’s self-promoting attempts to make it as a star contributing editor for US culture mag Vanity Fair, How To Lose Friends… is a catalogue of his blunders and bad luck, while also taking aim at the pompous attitudes of the publication, its staff and particularly editor Graydon Carter.

Adapted by Peter Straughan, the film will be directed by Curb Your Enthusiasm’s regular shot-caller Robert Weide next year in NYC and the UK.
widowspider
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Aug 14 2006, 10:13 AM)
Empire Online reports Simon Pegg is to play Toby Young in an adaptation of How To Lose Friends And Alienate People:

Now then, now then....shooting in NYC? Woo! May have to wheedle my way onto the set one day. biggrin.gif
CazBag
Another article on it here
thirtyhelens
HA! This book is actually sitting in my "to read" pile; I was sent the Coming Soon link this morning from my friend Erin's boyfriend who has already read it and states firmly "He's absolutely perfect for the part."

I may have to bump this little tome further up the pecking order. *scratches chin* wink.gif
theevilresident101
Darn! I wanted to post this! biggrin.gif But great to hear he's so popular...a little too popular. huh.gif
ipse dixit
My flatmate read this a while ago, I'll have to see what he thinks on the matter.
Wife Of Rolex
It's clearly a mistake (is it?), but IMDB have Simon playing Toby's dad instead.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0670408/

Wife Of Rolex
CazBag
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Aug 28 2006, 03:30 PM)
It's clearly a mistake (is it?), but IMDB have Simon playing Toby's dad instead.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0670408/
Wife Of Rolex

Definitely a mistake! All other reports say he's playing Toby. Otherwise he'd be playing the father of someone his own age!
dolfyn
QUOTE (CazBag @ Aug 29 2006, 07:06 PM)
Definitely a mistake!  All other reports say he's playing Toby.  Otherwise he'd be playing the father of someone his own age!

Unless there's a lot of make-up & prosthetics involved... huh.gif
Unlikely, though.

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
smile.gif
CazBag
Has anyone read this yet? I'm almost half way through ...
thirtyhelens
I'm still reading Carter Beats the Devil, and I may have to read something else first. tongue.gif It's still sat in the pile, tho.
sweetbutinsane
Wow, another film for Simon? I'm never going to be away from the cinema in the next couple of years ...

I suppose I ought to read the book first though.
CazBag
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Aug 31 2006, 04:18 PM)
I'm still reading Carter Beats the Devil, and I may have to read something else first.  tongue.gif  It's still sat in the pile, tho.

Let us know what you think when you've read it ... smile.gif
thirtyhelens
Ran a cross a short Toby Young piece from the FT which says Isla Fisher's been cast as the love interest.

And no, I still haven't read the book. wink.gif (I must get to World War Z first or Craig will have my hide!)
dolfyn
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Oct 13 2006, 05:56 AM)
Ran a cross a short Toby Young piece from the FT which says Isla Fisher's been cast as the love interest.

And no, I still haven't read the book.  wink.gif  (I must get to World War Z first or Craig will have my hide!)

Man! I can't believe Isla Fisher has gone so far after being in crappy Home & Away! huh.gif

Oh well. Good on her. mellow.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif
CazBag
QUOTE (dolfyn @ Oct 13 2006, 12:09 PM)
Man! I can't believe Isla Fisher has gone so far after being in crappy Home & Away!  huh.gif

Yeah she's not done bad. And look how far Heath Ledger has come from being 'Sally's' boyfriend too! laugh.gif
mcraigclark
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Oct 12 2006, 02:56 PM)

And no, I still haven't read the book.  wink.gif  (I must get to World War Z first or Craig will have my hide!)

tongue.gif
Seriously, you're going to love it.
thirtyhelens
I did love it when I finished it, months ago. laugh.gif

In other, actual news:

The Dude, Scully, MJ, Arthur Burns... and little Timothy Bisley. Awesome, awesome.
Peronel
I read the majority of the novel a few years ago, then it fell under my bed and I forgot about it. Thouroughly enjoyed what I did read though - a kindred spirit who managed to bugger things up without even trying sometimes. I think Pegg's a great choice.
dolfyn
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ May 18 2007, 12:36 PM)

Aw, how cool! cool.gif Simon finally gets to work with Gillian Anderson (Agent Scully)! biggrin.gif I bet he tells her about Spaced, & how they tried to get her to appear in the show. happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wink.gif
widowspider
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ May 18 2007, 03:36 AM)
I did love it when I finished it, months ago.  laugh.gif

In other, actual news:

The Dude, Scully, MJ, Arthur Burns... and little Timothy Bisley.  Awesome, awesome.

How cool is this movie going to be? biggrin.gif
AusChick
^ Well that's just, like, your opinion, man

And it's mine too!! biggrin.gif

What a brilliant cast! Can't wait to see it!!
melzilla
Squeeebles! wacko.gif
CazBag
For those of you good people living in the UK, there's a chance for one of us to win an extra's role in this 'ere filum. See the channel4 competition from this 'ere link. This would be so cool!
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (CazBag @ Jul 11 2007, 09:59 PM)
For those of you good people living in the UK, there's a chance for one of us to win an extra's role in this 'ere filum.  See the channel4 competition from this 'ere link.  This would be so cool!

Entered.

Though, I've probably already used up my competition winning quota for this year.

Wife Of Rolex
thirtyhelens
First production still...

Filth.
ipse dixit
^ Excellent t-shirt.
Anni
^ agreed
dolfyn
^I concur. smile.gif Aw, Simon....! wub.gif

QUOTE (CazBag @ Jul 12 2007, 06:59 AM)
For those of you good people living in the UK, there's a chance for one of us to win an extra's role in this 'ere filum.  See the channel4 competition from this 'ere link.  This would be so cool!

Dammit! Once again, I'm in the wrong hemisphere. sad.gif

I can only hope that Simon travels down my way again to promote some of the many movies he's been making lately. rolleyes.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wink.gif
curtinparloe
Ooh, looks like good. Hope it is good.
AusChick
I hope so too.
Is it going to be on broad release?
Seems like Simon makes so many movies and I never see any of them!!
wacko.gif
CazBag
There could be some great captions made from this laugh.gif

This was taken on set yesterday in New York City (apparently). Source MeganFoxSource.com:

dolfyn
hehehee! What a funny expression! happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
biggrin.gif
LeWatt
Lady in white T-shirt: "I'll stop doing them if you stop laughing"
Zoe
QUOTE (LeWatt @ Aug 9 2007, 05:06 PM)
Lady in white T-shirt: "I'll stop doing them if you stop laughing"

Is that not Gillian Anderson? You'd think Simon would be happier to be stood behind 1995's sexiest woman.
Stella MM
QUOTE (Zoe @ Aug 9 2007, 05:11 PM)
Is that not Gillian Anderson? You'd think Simon would be happier to be stood behind 1995's sexiest woman.

No, I'm pretty sure that's not her nose.
thirtyhelens
It is GA, and her nose.
mcraigclark
GA needs to eat a sandwich.
thirtyhelens
She doesn't look bad, IMO. The Scully Seasons 1 & 2 babyfat's gone, but hey... it happens. wink.gif

She's smokin' in the other pics on that site.
mcraigclark
Oh, I didn't mean she looked bad. I just like her a bit curvier.
thirtyhelens
I can't complain about a man who wants to see more curves.

laugh.gif
AusChick
That pic is classic.
Mr Pegg will never cease to amuse me!

And I have a theory that you are better off to put on a little weight as you get older because I find skinny people show their age more.
(possibly a slightly self-serving theory but there it is)
curtinparloe
QUOTE (Zoe @ Aug 9 2007, 05:11 PM)
You'd think Simon would be happier to be stood behind 1995's sexiest woman.

Ah, but he wasn't placed.

Besides, he doesn't want it to look too obvious...
AusChick
Yeah it's like the modern equivalent of dipping her plaits in the ink well
Zoe
Plaits? Ink Well? Isn't everything modern in relation to that? Everything post 1930.
MyDogAteLA
QUOTE (CazBag @ Aug 9 2007, 08:22 AM)

I couldn't think of anything to say, but I really wanted to comment.

laugh.gif
Omniscia
The first thought that springs to mind is "Gee, Pegg looks like he's having trouble not going in for a grab."

The second thought is "That woman on the left has the longest neck I've ever seen."
Wife Of Rolex

'Look Gillian...my hands are clean.'
CazBag
Toby Young's article in the Daily Mail. Definitely worth a read.

A BBC interviewer recently asked him how he was going to make the protagonist sympathetic.

"Do you mean how am I going to transform someone as loathsome and despicable as Toby Young into a character that the audience will root for?"

"Exactly." "Two words: Simon Pegg."
happy.gif

dolfyn
A BBC interviewer recently asked him how he was going to make the protagonist sympathetic.
"Do you mean how am I going to transform someone as loathsome and despicable as Toby Young into a character that the audience will root for?"
"Exactly."
"Two words: Simon Pegg."

Aaawww! happy.gif That just says it all. smile.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.