Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Zombie Thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Jon 79
In case no-one's mention it yet:

George Romero has announced Diary Of The Dead.
Omniscia
Well, I'll go, but I won't be entirely optimistic.
GundamGuy_UK
Might as well use this thread to ask a question I've had for a while.

As a big fan of Shaun of the Dead and Resident Evil games, I really want to see some more zombie movies. I've seen a bit of one (all I remember was a man putting a head in a vice while the body attacked him), and 28 Days Later, but that's about it. And Braindead, too.

Where do I start? I'll buy some DVDs, but I only want them if they're good films.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 27 2006, 08:17 PM)
Might as well use this thread to ask a question I've had for a while.

As a big fan of Shaun of the Dead and Resident Evil games, I really want to see some more zombie movies. I've seen a bit of one (all I remember was a man putting a head in a vice while the body attacked him), And Braindead, too.

Where do I start? I'll buy some DVDs, but I only want them if they're good films.

That's The Evil Dead 2 that is.

Well first off start with the classics, The Evil Dead Trilogy, The Trilogy of The Dead (Night, Dawn and Day), and then move onto the later decentish ones... Dawn remake etc.

Also Diary sounds...ok.
GundamGuy_UK
See, this is the thing. "Evil Dead Trilogy" and "Trilogy of the Dead" sound like the same thing to someone who's not seen them... tongue.gif

Righto, I might purchase one of the two next time I'm shopping then. Cheers.
martin
Evil Dead 2 is the daddy of the living dead films. But check out the first one, erm first, and then the third one...third.

I'm really looking forward to Diary Of The Dead. Maybe it will play as a spin-off from the main series. To be honest, none of Romero's films compare to Dawn Of The Dead. Still, I bet it will be good.
Omniscia
Also, look into Dellamorte, Dellamore, aka Cemetery Man.
mchammer
and bad taste. you could see lord of the rings coming from that one.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Aug 27 2006, 12:55 PM)
George Romero has announced Diary Of The Dead.

That sound you hear is a pack of zombies raising a glass (of brains) to toast the return of their master.

Ugh! Romero has nothing to do with brain-eating zombies.

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 27 2006, 04:17 PM)

There's a "bad" zombie movie thread here where you might be able to get some recommendations. And just because it says "bad" doesn't really mean it is.
mcraigclark
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Aug 27 2006, 07:54 PM)
Also, look into Dellamorte, Dellamore, aka Cemetery Man.

This is the second time in as many days this movie's been mentioned. Well, the first time was because I mentioned it on another forum. tongue.gif

It's very good and definitely worth looking into.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (mchammer @ Aug 28 2006, 12:59 AM)
and bad taste. you could see lord of the rings coming from that one.

I saw Braindead and Bad Taste in a double-bill at my friends house a couple of years ago. Great stuff.
mchammer
braindead is just awesome isn,t it. Great big fucking freaky rat lady. i watched bad taste with my girlfriend today. i suppose its actually an alien film but the style is a crazy zombie film
curtinparloe
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 27 2006, 11:08 PM)
See, this is the thing. "Evil Dead Trilogy" and "Trilogy of the Dead" sound like the same thing to someone who's not seen them... tongue.gif

Righto, I might purchase one of the two next time I'm shopping then. Cheers.

"Trilogy of the Dead" is fairly unclear as a name - the three films are:
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead

Inexplicably, I haven't seen Day of the Dead, so I shall have to rectify the situation.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (curtinparloe @ Aug 29 2006, 09:50 AM)
"Trilogy of the Dead" is fairly unclear as a name - the three films are:
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead

Inexplicably, I haven't seen Day of the Dead, so I shall have to rectify the situation.

Yes but you can pick them up as a boxset called The Trilogy Of The Dead.
Jon 79
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Aug 29 2006, 03:04 PM)
Yes but you can pick them up as a boxset called The Trilogy Of The Dead.

If you get the boxset though, I recommend the dutch boxset (if it's still available)... the one with the blue-grey cover.
As this features the better, gorier, Argento european cut of Dawn of the dead, & the original Night of the living dead. (the normal boxset feature the 30th anniversary edition.... which you don't want)
...otherwise, buy them separately.

Also I hear Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue is pretty good.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Aug 29 2006, 11:19 AM)
Also I hear Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue is pretty good.

Yes, it is. I do recommend.
martin
If you get the boxset though, I recommend the dutch boxset (if it's still available)... the one with the blue-grey cover.
As this features the better, gorier, Argento european cut of Dawn of the dead, & the original Night of the living dead. (the normal boxset feature the 30th anniversary edition.... which you don't want)

Yeah, avoid the UK boxset, it contains crappy versions of the films:
The '30th Anniversary' version of Night of the Living Dead which is crap (its funny for five minutes until you realise that they've destroyed the film with 'new' footage)
Dawn of the Dead in fullscreen (although it has a Tom Savini commentary) and Day of the dead has nothing great about it.
Buy all the single versions.
Sostie
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Aug 27 2006, 10:05 PM)
That's The Evil Dead 2 that is.

Well first off start with the classics, The Evil Dead Trilogy,

Is it just me that doesn't consider the Evil Dead films "zombie" films? Sure there is an army of corpses in Army Of Darkness, but that is more inspired by and a homage too Ray Harryhausen. And all the other "living dead" in the series are, as far as I can recall, possessed. If the criteria for a "zombie" is the dead resurrected does that mean Passion Of The Christ counts?

Couple of more recommendations....from Japan Wild Zero and from Australia the passable The Undead
curtinparloe
QUOTE (Sostie @ Aug 29 2006, 11:30 PM)
If the criteria for a "zombie" is the dead  resurrected does that mean Passion Of The Christ counts?

Jesus Christ Superstar: Christ of the Living Dead

laugh.gif
Stantz
QUOTE (Sostie @ Aug 29 2006, 10:30 PM)
Is it just me that doesn't consider the Evil Dead films "zombie" films?

I also was going to say that but i didnt wanna seem like a jerk, also 28 days later is not a zombie film, there not zombies there just people who are still alive, they just have an illlness (rage).

The '30th Anniversary' version of Night of the Living Dead which is crap (its funny for five minutes until you realise that they've destroyed the film with 'new' footage)

I hate that version of the film so i brought the prism lesure version, which is better, but is a really shit version of the film and in parts is missing a few frames.

Zombie Flesh Eaters is a classic zombie film, but the best is the first dawn of the dead. the remake is ok, but i hate the idea of running zombies, thats not as scary.
Omniscia
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Aug 29 2006, 11:19 AM)

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree and suggest that the original theatrical cut of Dawn is the best, and recommend acquiring the "Ultimate Edition" that Anchor Bay published a year or two ago, which has the theatrical cut, the director's cut, and the Argento cut.

Is that package available over there?
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Sostie @ Aug 29 2006, 10:30 PM)
Is it just me that doesn't consider the Evil Dead films "zombie" films?  Sure there is an army of corpses in Army Of Darkness, but that is more inspired by and a homage too Ray Harryhausen.  And all the other "living dead" in the series are, as far as I can recall, possessed.  If the criteria for a "zombie" is the dead  resurrected does that mean Passion Of The Christ counts?

air enough, they're still bloody good films though.
martin
Is that package available over there?

No. Is there a commentary from Argento on it?

There's only been two different cuts released so far here - seperately.
The original release (and version contained in the boxset) had some scenes trimmed and others lengthened. Any one know which version this is?
Also the 'directors cut' was a fairly recent release.
dandan
i hate the argento cut of 'dawn of the dead'; the music does my head in and the constant background sound effects of zombie groans are also particularly annoying. it also cuts a lot out, speeding up the pace of the film, which is just wrong...

as for dvds;

night of the living dead - r1 elite entertainment 'millenium edition - has the best transfer, is uncut and has the best extras.

THX-Certified
Trailers/TV Spots
Dual Commentary Tracks Featuring George A. Romero and the Entire Cast
Film Parody - Night Of The Living Bread
Still Photo Gallery Featuring Rare Color Photos
The History Of Romero's Company, The Latent Image
Scenes From the "Lost" Romero Film "There's Always Vanilla"
Video Interview with "Living Dead's" Judy Ridley
Final Interview by "Living Dead's" Star Duane Jones
Foreign and Domenstic Posters and Collectibles
Original Props
The Entire Original Shooting Script
Cast Member's Personal Scrapbooks
Romero Directed Television Spots and Short Films
Full Color Insert Featuring Liner Notes by Stephen King

7.70 at dvdpacific.com

dawn of the dead - r1 anchor bay 'the ultimate edition' - the three different cuts, all remastered, all with loads of extra features.

Disc One - U.S. Theatrical version

- Audio Commentary with Writer/Director George A. Romero, Make-Up Effects Creator Tom Savini, and Assistant Director Chris Romero. Moderated by DVD Producer Perry Martin.
- Theatrical Trailers
- TV Spots
- Radio Spots
- Post & Advertising Gallery
- George A. Romero Bio
- Comic Book Preview

Disc Two - Extended Version

- Audio Commentary with Producer Richard P. Rubinstein. Moderated by DVD Producer Perry Martin
- Monroeville Mall Commercial
- Behind-the-Scenes Photo Gallery
- Memorabilia Gallery
- Production Stills

Disc Three - European Version

- Audio Commentary with Actors David Emge, Ken Foree, Scott H. Reiniger and Gaylen Ross
- International Theatrical Trailers
- U.K. TV Spots
- International Lobby Card Gallery
- International Poster & Advertising Gallery
- International Pressbook Gallery
- Home Video & Soundtrack Artwork
- Dario Argento Bio

Disc Four - Documentaries

- The Dead Will Walk, an all-new documentary featuring interviews with cast and crew members Claudio Argento, Dario Argento, Pat Buba, Tony Buba, Zilla Clinton, David Crawford, David Early, David Emge, Ken Foree, Michael Gornick, John Harrison, Clayton Hill, Sharon Ceccatti-Hill, Jim Krut, Leonard Lies, Scott H. Reiniger, Chris Romero, George A. Romero, Gaylen Ross, Tom Savini, and Claudio Simone

16.81 at dvdpacific.com

day of the dead - r1 anchorbay two disc edition - best extras.

Disc 1:
Audio Commentary with Writer/Director George A. Romero, Special Make-up Effects artist Tom Savini, Production Designer Cletus Anderson and actress Lori Cardille
Audio Commentary with Filmmaker Roger Avary

Disc 2:
The Many Days of Day Of The Dead-An all-new 39 minute documentary featuring interviews with writer/director George A. Romero, Producer David Ball, Special Make-up Effects artist Tom Savini, and Greg Nicotero, Production Designer Cletus Anderson, Assistant Director Chris Romero and Actors Lori Cardille, Joe Pilato and Howard Sherman.
Day Of The Dead: Behind The Scenes-31 minutes of production footage from Special Make-up Effects Artist Tom Savini
Audio Interview with Actor Richard Liberty
Wampum Mine Promotional Video
Theatrical Trailers
TV Spots
Production Stills
Behind-the-Scenes Photos
Posters & Advertising Art
Gallery Of Memorabilia
Zombie Make-Up Photo Gallery
Continuity Stills Gallery
George Romero Bio
DVD-ROM: Original Screenplay & Production Memos

DiVimax Series-This DVD has been mastered with DiViMax-a High Definition (HD) film transfer process that provides state-of-the-art picture quality-and can be viewed on any home entertainment system.

8.48 at dvdpacific.com
Jon 79
QUOTE (Sostie @ Aug 29 2006, 11:30 PM)
Is it just me that doesn't consider the Evil Dead films "zombie" films?  Sure there is an army of corpses in Army Of Darkness, but that is more inspired by and a homage too Ray Harryhausen. 

I'd say that Evil dead 1 & 2 aren't technically zombie movies... more like possessed movies. ... Though they're certainly more zombie-like than 28 days later...

28 days is more comparable to that other Romero classic The Crazies.
Home-Sliced06
And the dead thread rather aptly rises again.

Remember the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead?

Of Course you do.

Remember those nasty ugly rumours about them remaking (in the loosest sense of the term) Day of the Dead.

Yeah well . . Trailer blink.gif

According to the wikipedia page about Day 2007 the trailer was leeked and then taken off t'internet but eventually found it's way onto youtube. There is also a teaser poster floating around with the tagline "Are you ready for D-Day?" oh and rather proudly proclaiming "From the Director of Halloween H2O".

Anyone else put in mind of Uwe Bolls House of the Dead film by this footage? unsure.gif
Baz
QUOTE (Home-Sliced06 @ Mar 23 2007, 04:28 PM)
And the dead thread rather aptly rises again.

Remember the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead?

Of Course you do.

Remember those nasty ugly rumours about them remaking (in the loosest sense of the term) Day of the Dead.

Yeah well . . Trailer blink.gif

According to the wikipedia page about Day 2007 the trailer was leeked and then taken off t'internet but eventually found it's way onto youtube.  There is also a teaser poster floating around with the tagline "Are you ready for D-Day?" oh and rather proudly proclaiming "From the Director of Halloween H2O".

Anyone else put in mind of Uwe Bolls House of the Dead film by this footage?  unsure.gif

Oh dear doesn't look to good does it......but I'll probably still see it as it will be a fix of zombie action and it will be interesting to see what they do with the film, if it will be a copy of the original (doesn't look like it) or a complete new story.

Spaeking of Day of the Dead, the independent sequal that was brought out a while back [Day of the Dead 2: Contagium] isn't that bad a film.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
While I loved the Dawn of the Dead remake, this looks like total shit. I doubt I'll bother wasting my time seeing it.

EDIT Well I might wait for the DVD. Don't they know that the characters aren't supposed to say the Z word?
fatseff1234
I'll probably go and see Day Of The Dead but to be honest it isn't looking too brilliant.
Sostie
Looks like I'm in the minority then. Big budget! Zombies! (Very) loosely based on a classic! Loads of living dead leaping out of a hospital's windows! I wanna see.

The director is pretty competent. Maybe "from the director of Halloween H20" isn't the best selling point ever (though it wasn't that bad). He has made some cack, but perhaps from the director of Lake Placid or Warlock would make it more apealing?

And I have no doubt in my mind that it will be better than the shit fest that was House Of The Dead.
Baz
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 23 2007, 06:19 PM)
Looks like I'm in the minority then. Big budget! Zombies! (Very) loosely based on a classic! Loads of living dead leaping out of a hospital's windows! I wanna see.

The director is pretty competent. Maybe "from the director of Halloween H20" isn't the best selling point ever (though it wasn't that bad). He has made some cack, but perhaps from the director of Lake Placid or Warlock would make it more apealing?

And I have no doubt in my mind that it will be better than the shit fest that was House Of The Dead.

It will be fun to watch. There has only been one zombie film where it's been so bad I've turned it off and that was called electric zombie.

I did a quick search for Diary of the Dead and came across this poster. Not sure if it is fan made, it does look like it.

and House of the Dead wasn't that bad a film, the second one was better though.
Sostie
Looks like Max Brookes' excellent World War Z will make it the big screen. Now that's some fine zombie action

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816711/
Baz
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 23 2007, 07:11 PM)
Looks like Max Brookes' excellent World War Z will make it the big screen.  Now that's some fine zombie action

Never heard of that before but it sounds ace.
monkeyman
As long as their are awesome awesome gratuitous flashbacks then It cannot fail.
Sostie
QUOTE (Baz @ Mar 23 2007, 07:15 PM)
Never heard of that before but it sounds ace.

Anyone who loves the Zombie genre must...and I do mean MUST read both Max Brooks (son of Mel) zombie books. The first, The Zombie Survival Guide, is exactly that, with some great case histories at the end (my favourite...The French Foreign Legion vs Zombies!)

World War Z is amazing. Documents the outbreak, war and aftermath worldwide, in the form of a case histories and interviews made by a UN investigator.
Spider Dijon
QUOTE (curtinparloe @ Aug 29 2006, 10:50 PM)
Jesus Christ Superstar: Christ of the Living Dead

laugh.gif

Haha, brilliant! laugh.gif

I've got the tagline: 'He's back from the dead and he's after your immortal soul!'
Omniscia
No zombie remakes, please.
T-103
Lol, you guys heard about the new George A Romero Zombie film 'Diary of the Dead' it carrys on form where 'Land of the Dead' left off. It doesn't look too bad but I preferred it when he was directing the really olold and cheesy zombie flicks.
maian
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 23 2007, 07:11 PM)
Looks like Max Brookes' excellent World War Z will make it the big screen.  Now that's some fine zombie action

Fan-fucking-tastic news. Easily one of the best books I've read for a few years. My only disappointment is that it's not getting made into a TV show, which I think would have really suited the style of storytelling better.

QUOTE (T-103 @ Mar 24 2007, 12:42 AM)
Lol, you guys heard about the new George A Romero Zombie film 'Diary of the Dead' it carrys on form where 'Land of the Dead' left off. It doesn't look too bad but I preferred it when he was directing the really olold and cheesy zombie flicks.

I thought it was set more or less in the present day and is about a group of kids who, whilst filming a zombie move of their own, stumble across actual zombies, rather than being an actual sequel to 'Land'.
mcraigclark
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 23 2007, 02:11 PM)

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I can't wait!
T-103
QUOTE (maian @ Mar 24 2007, 03:42 AM)
I thought it was set more or less in the present day and is about a group of kids who, whilst filming a zombie move of their own, stumble across actual zombies, rather than being an actual sequel to 'Land'.

Yesa that is quite correct however it is to be continuing on form LotD the zombies are getting smarter bullshit.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
I heard that Diary of The Dead is set at the same time as Night of the Living Dead, giving a different perspective to the original zombie outbreak.

Here's an interview where it is mentioned.

Thee's some more info on the wikipedia page.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Mar 24 2007, 12:36 PM)
I heard that Diary of The Dead is set at the same time as Night of the Living Dead, giving a different perspective to the original zombie outbreak.

Here's an interview where it is mentioned.

Thee's some more info on the wikipedia page.

That'll be great. I hope this is the right storyline, it sounds awesome.

QUOTE (T-103 @ Mar 24 2007, 08:53 AM)
Yesa that is quite correct however it is to be continuing on form LotD the zombies are getting smarter bullshit.

Then it'll be shit. End of.
Jimmy Green
Hmmmmm....

This Day Of The Dead 'remake' looks like it's got absolutely NOTHING to do with the OG version at all, apart from the military. No underground bunker, no insurmountable odds, no drunken Irishman or laid back Jamaican... haha

I have nothing against the film aside from the fact that

a) it looks shit ("Are we sleeping together?" "No, that would be inappropriate." "Oh good." Fuck off back to Teen Camp then....)

b) it's called Day Of The Dead

Good zombie films:

Night Of The Living Dead (OG black and white version with NO EXTRA BALD HEADED PRIEST FOOTAGE, I can't specify that strongly enough - although I think to be honest the OG version is a bit, erm, well, slow and boring, but hey, completists and all that)

Dawn Of The Dead (not the Argento one - the Romero theatrical cut, or at a push the so-called 'Directors Cut')

Day Of The Dead (wicked)

Zombie Flesh Eaters

The Beyond (possibly Fulci's best film along with ZFE)

Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue

Night Of The Living Dead (Tom Savini remake - actually a lot better than I remembered it)

Return Of The Living Dead (highly amusing)

There are more but I can't think of them. Those'd be my recommendations.

I wouldn't recommend Land Of The Dead, apart from the novelty value of watching Simon and Edgar in chains. And watching the DVD extra of Simon's video diary.
Baz
ZOMBIES!

I believe one of these walks is happening in London on April the 7th.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Baz @ Apr 1 2007, 11:25 AM)
ZOMBIES!

FUN. You going, Baz? Post photos!
Ade
QUOTE (Baz @ Apr 1 2007, 08:25 PM)
ZOMBIES!

Indeed. A thread highlighting that very walk had been started here.

Quote from that news link:
It happens here in London too, although at Halloween rather than Easter. Crawl of the Dead, it's marvellous. And slightly terrifying!
Paul Hardcastle, London, UK

"In Brisbane, Australia, the average age of the combat zombie was twenty-six.

In London town it was nineteen. N-n-n-n-nineteen."

biggrin.gif
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Ade @ Apr 1 2007, 05:21 PM)
"In London town it was nineteen. N-n-n-n-nineteen."[/i]

This might require a Paul Hardcastle avatar out of you next. laugh.gif
Ade
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Apr 2 2007, 02:32 AM)
This might require a Paul Hardcastle avatar out of you next. laugh.gif

Heehee, I'll see what I can rustle up. biggrin.gif
Dorf
QUOTE (Baz @ Apr 1 2007, 07:25 PM)
ZOMBIES!

I'm not sure why I'm sharing this thought, as it's pretty despicable, but I've always wondered something. If one was to start blasting the participants heads with a shotgun (while wearing survival themed clothing), how long would it take for people to notice it wasn't just a very realistic skit?

*Again, I have no wish for this to happen, and it seems like a good laugh of an event, just a pondering.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.