Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brit Awards 2007
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Music
purple prole
Russell Brand to host the Brits

Cheese Louise, he gets everywhere!

More of note is the news that they're going to be shown live on telly (for the first time since Fox/Fleetwood).
This means I'll actually watch them for the first time since........ well, since Fox/Fleetwood. As I won't already know who's won, and more importantly because there's a chance of seeing something funny or weird happen.
Atara
I applied for tikets to this months ago, lets hope I get them...oprobably not knowing my luck
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (purple prole @ Dec 5 2006, 12:29 AM)
, and more importantly because there's a chance of seeing something funny or weird happen.

Russell Brand's presence makes this much less likely.
theevilresident101
Bloody hell...he does get around. Hehe, at least we don't see him. biggrin.gif
Sostie
Probably worth watching for Brand. Can't think af many other reasons - this has been probably one of the most uninspiring years for music I can remember.
Rua
QUOTE (Sostie @ Dec 6 2006, 10:59 AM)
....this has been probably one of the most uninspiring years for music I can remember.

Music is returning to the dark old days again.

I blame the 80's revival.
Sostie
QUOTE (Rua @ Dec 6 2006, 11:03 AM)
Music is returning to the dark old days again.

I blame the 80's revival.

If there was a real 80's revival it might have been more interesting.

What we got this year is mediocre stuff being lauded by journos that don't remember when it first came out and was fresh.
maian
QUOTE (Sostie @ Dec 6 2006, 10:59 AM)
Probably worth watching for Brand.  Can't think af many other reasons - this has been probably one of the most uninspiring years for music I can remember.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Usually at this time of year I can rattle off a top 10 albums list in under a minute but now I'm failing to think of a top 5. Apart from Guillemots, Luxembourg and Monkey Swallows The Universe not that many albums have had that much of an impact on me this year. Apart from The Avalanche but I don't think an offcuts album really counts.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
I've not bought an album released this year, it fact I think the most recent album I bought was Demon Days. Any news on who is performing live this year?
Simsydav
Im getting fed up of that russel brand being on everything.

His comedy is shock comedy - BUT HE IS SHIT AT IT

He has not act. He isnt funny. There are some 'meh' bits, but thats as good as it gets.

Hes a fucking retard and I want him to die. In a nice way.
Rua
He really likes you.

Seriously, he actually gushes about you.
Sostie
QUOTE (Simsydav @ Dec 7 2006, 03:42 PM)
Im getting fed up of that russel brand being on everything.

His comedy is shock comedy - BUT HE IS SHIT AT IT

He has not act. He isnt funny. There are some 'meh' bits, but thats as good as it gets.

Hes a fucking retard and I want him to die. In a nice way.

He may not be to everyone's tastes. But I'm sure if he didn't do it Chris Evans would. And we don't want that do we?
purple prole
Or if Chris can't make it then Davina McCall.

Russell Brand is sounding quite tolerable now.

My hope for the show is for a Jarvis Cocker stage invasion type moment. I'm not sure who among the crop of today's artists would do such a thing.
Maybe Jarvis will have to do it again himself.
Simsydav
Cocker is going to be on it?

Im watching it now!!!

Even if I do have to sit through hours of half arsed jokes.
luvmusic
The Knife - Silent Shout

Omni - Acid Casuals

Flaming Lips - At War With the Mystics

Hot Chip - The Warning

Those are the only albums produced in 2006 that I bought this year, although I do intend to get Jarvis's effort and the latest Rapture when I get round to it.

Still, not exactly a long list.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Simsydav @ Dec 7 2006, 03:42 PM)
He has not act.

This is my new insult for annoying people on telly.
purple prole
Nominations

Lily Allen is bound to win 2 at the least. I'd like Muse to win best album instead of her, but if they're given best group then Lily will probably get the album.
My other hope is for a Jarvis win.
dandan
British male solo artist: James Morrison, Jarvis Cocker, Lemar, Paolo Nutini, Thom Yorke.

British female solo artist: Amy Winehouse, Corinne Bailey Rae, Jamelia, Lily Allen, Nerina Pallot.

British album: Amy Winehouse - Back to Black, Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, Lily Allen - Alright Still, Muse - Black Holes & Revelations, Snow Patrol - Eyes Open.

British group: Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Muse, Razorlight, Snow Patrol.

British breakthrough act: Corinne Bailey Rae, The Fratellis, James Morrison, The Kooks, Lily Allen. (Winner chosen by BBC Radio 1 listeners)

International breakthrough act: Gnarls Barkley, Orson, The Raconteurs, Ray Lamontagne, Wolfmother. (Winner chosen by MTV viewers)

British live act: George Michael, Guillemots, Kasabian, Muse, Robbie Williams. (Winner chosen by BBC Radio 2 listeners)

British single: Corinne Bailey Rae - Put Your Records On, The Feeling - Fill My Little World, James Morrison - You Give Me Something, The Kooks - She Moves In Her Own Way, Leona Lewis - A Moment Like This, Lily Allen - Smile, Razorlight - America, Sandi Thom - I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker, Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars, Take That - Patience, Will Young - All Time Love. (Five nominees from this shortlist will be chosen by listeners to two commercial radio chart shows. A live public vote will decide the winner on the night)

International male solo artist: Beck, Bob Dylan, Damien Rice, Jack Johnson, Justin Timberlake.

International female solo artist: Beyoncé, Cat Power, Christina Aguilera, Nelly Furtado, Pink.

International group: The Flaming Lips, Gnarls Barkley, The Killers, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Scissor Sisters.

International album: Bob Dylan - Modern Times, Gnarls Barkley - St Elsewhere, Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds, The Killers - Sam's Town, Scissor Sisters - Ta-Dah.
Gimp
QUOTE (dandan @ Jan 17 2007, 09:02 AM)
International male solo artist: Beck

Is he contracted to be nominated every year?
feckless_dykey_prostitute
I went to the Lauch Party last night and I've just found out that I'm going to the actual awards! biggrin.gif Sponsors, sponsors....

James Morrison should at least win one award. I think he's brilliant.
Shack
On the one hand, I would quite like to go to the Brits, but on the other hand, I get the feeling I'd so surrounded by absolute cunts, I'd want to pour champagne into my eyes for the duration of the show.

I hope gin loving Winehouse, Jarvis and the seemingly lovely Gnarls Barkley get sumfink.
maian
QUOTE (Gimp @ Jan 17 2007, 10:08 AM)
Is he contracted to be nominated every year?

He tends to be touring or have an album out nearly every year, it seems. It's strange seeing Bob Dylan going against Justin Timberlake.
stinketta
Just found out that I'm going.

Take That are performing! Yay!
Jinx
QUOTE (Sostie @ Dec 6 2006, 11:59 AM)
Probably worth watching for Brand.  Can't think af many other reasons - this has been probably one of the most uninspiring years for music I can remember.

Come on Sos, it hasn't been that bad. There's were some cracking albums that came out last year. It's just that none of them will get nominated for a Brit Award. Mind you, that's not a bad thing. The Brits suck. I mean - it's a fantastic party, and if you can blag backstage, that's always fun. But the awards themselves aren't exactly a yardstick of quality. And it’s not even broadcast live anymore, so any edge it had as car crash entertainment is a thing of the past.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Jinx @ Feb 12 2007, 09:59 AM)
Come on Sos, it hasn't been that bad.

Yes, it really has.
SkipToTheEnd
Despite the apparent prevelance of indie acts, there is still very little genuine musical creativity in the list; Thom Yorke and Beck aside.
SkipToTheEnd
and Bob Dylan is a legend obviously, although i havent heard his latest...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.