Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: THE SPECIALS vs MADNESS
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Music
Sostie
This week the big hitters of the Second Wave of SKA pleed for your votes

THE SPECIALS
Leaders of the 2-Tone movement. Coventry's finest musical export since the one tha came before it. Sung songs about teenage pregnancy, James Bond and having a good time. Later spawned Special AKA, Fun Boy Three, Colourfield, Vegas, Terry.Blair & Anoushka, and, err, Terry Hall!

MADNESS
Caaaaaaaahm-den's finest 7 piece. One of the bggest selling singles bands of the 80's. Sung about Contraception, Michale Caine, ill fitting pants and heart attacks. Later spawned The Fink Brothers, The Madness, Voice Of The Beehive and, err, Suggs.
Starscream`s Ghost
More of a Madness man myself. I always found the Specials a bit too hardgoing, if that makes any sense at all.
thirtyhelens
You are an evil, evil man, Sos.

*goes off to ponder/fret/tear hair out/skank a bit/ponder some more*
Rua
Madness are definitely more fun.

The Specials are just better.
feck off!
The Specials. I love 'em to bits.
zeden
Madness for me. No particular reason really, I like both. I need to borrow my mums CDs and get em copied to my Zen, it would make a nice break from all the podcasts and old stuff.
feck off!
Were you not tempted to put 'skank-wank' as the third option Sostie? biggrin.gif
Sostie
QUOTE (feck off! @ Dec 11 2006, 06:55 PM)
Were you not tempted to put 'skank-wank' as the third option Sostie? biggrin.gif

Nice one. Necer thought of that. I may get a tattoo of it though.
feck off!
QUOTE (Sostie @ Dec 11 2006, 07:00 PM)
Nice one. Necer thought of that.  I may get a tattoo of it though.

Depending on where you have it I look forward to seeing that at the next meet. tongue.gif
sleeping_pirate
Madness, without a doubt. I love them to bits.
maian
Without a moments hesitation I plumped for The Specials. I do love Madness, House Of Fun was my favourite song as a child (leading to a very funny adolescent trauma when I found out what the song was actually about) but The Specials are just a better band. The first time I heard ''Ghost Town'' was a revelation, one only bettered when a mate of mine played me their debut on vinyl.
thirtyhelens
Finally went for The Specials, too, for the same reasons maian noted. And more. Childhood crush on Suggsy - and his ace line reading of "You hum it and I'll smash your face in" - notwithstanding. wink.gif
Sir_Robin_the_brave
I voted for Madness because I enjoyed their music when I was a wee nipper and they helped soundtrack my first two years of university. Great videos as well.

*goes to listen to Our House*
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Dec 11 2006, 12:44 PM)
Great videos as well.

If we based it solely on the videos, Madness would win in a landslide. They wouldn't even need the hilarious Japanese Honda commercials to boost their cred.
sleeping_pirate
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Dec 11 2006, 08:43 PM)
Childhood crush on Suggsy - and his ace line reading of "You hum it and I'll smash your face in" - notwithstanding. wink.gif

I love their appearances in The Young Ones biggrin.gif I think that adds to the reason why I voted for them.
Crutch
Specials.
Jon 79
A tough dessision for me. 'Ghost Town' is a better song than anything madness ever produced. However Madness introduced me to that sound... and I know more of their songs... & they're in the young ones... which was cool....
So,.. yeah... Madness.
Ade
Always been a Nutty Boy meself. I don't for a minute dislike the few songs I know of The Specials, but I've never felt compelled to acquire any of their albums.

QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Dec 11 2006, 06:21 PM)
More of a Madness man myself. I always found the Specials a bit too hardgoing, if that makes any sense at all.

Yes. Yes it does. Verily.

QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ Dec 11 2006, 08:57 PM)
I love their appearances in The Young Ones biggrin.gif I think that adds to the reason why I voted for them.

Heheh. That kind of tipped the balance for me also.

Rik: Do you know Summer Holiday by Cliff Richard?
Suggs: You hum it... I'll smash yer face in.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Dec 11 2006, 01:39 PM)
'Ghost Town' is a better song than anything madness ever produced.

"Night Boat to Cairo" comes awful damn close, though.

Shit, now I'm second-guessing my answer.
Ade
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Dec 12 2006, 12:02 AM)
"Night Boat to Cairo" comes awful damn close, though.

Shit, now I'm second-guessing my answer.

Mr Sostie really is setting some tricky blighters lately, in't he?
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Ade @ Dec 11 2006, 04:04 PM)
Mr Sostie really is setting some tricky blighters lately, in't he?

He's cackling at us as we speak.
theevilresident101
Madness for me. Without a doubt.

Loved the performances on The Young Ones.
Llama
Another band I grew up with, Madness all the way. I fuckin' love 'em. I've even got a bumper sticker on my wardrobe that says "HONK IF YOU LIKE MADNESS".
Sostie
Like a lot of people, Madness are the band you grew up with, so I have a soft spot for them. They made loads of great singles (though if I hear any of their tunes at a club/party again I'll scream) and did the cheap and entertaining video better and before everyone else. On the downdised, when I saw them live, I'd never been in a crowd full of so many dicks.

The Specials get my vote. Specials and More Specials are two of the best albums of the 80's. They were doing what The Streets and Arctic Monkeys are lauded for decades before they existed. Without the Specials I would never have heard of Madness, and more importantly, discovered Ska/Trojan. And Terry Hall....what a cool dude.
Jinx
Hate both. Sorry - ska is one of those genres that not only does nothing for me, it actively causes me to reach out for the skip button.
dandan
'the specials', no contest...
Zoe
QUOTE (dandan @ Dec 12 2006, 11:42 AM)
'the specials', no contest...

What he said.
luvmusic
The Specials, because they were better and more important at the time.

However, Madness often get stuck away in this 'fun pop band' category when they actually wrote some bloody good songs, and on fun themes such as apartheid, depression, homelessness and terrorism. I tend to think of them as the successors to The Kinks in the narrative pop song sense.

But still it's The Specials, but not by much.
Wife Of Rolex
Well I love me 2Tone but I've gone for Madness, who started out on 2Tone anyway. They just have the edge in this vote only as they had, and still do, a sense of pure fun with their music while The Specials/Special AKA had that harder political edge, though I actually like them both fairly equally.

Wife Of Rolex
mcraigclark
My vote goes to Madness.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.