Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The coolest music web site...
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Music
Jon 79
Does everybody here know about www.pandora.com?

A workmate introduced me to it the other day.
It's brilliant. You tell it a song or artist that you like (or many) & it plays stuff that's your kinda music.
You tell it if you like a song, or if you don't ... and after a while it becomes your favourite radio station... honed to your specific tastes.
It's a great way to find new music.
m0r1arty
I found it first!!

Yeah it is cool eh?

I've increased my collection somewhat due to it's brilliant selection of 'similar' artists.

-m0r
sleeping_pirate
Oh my god, what a fantastic site!!!! Seriously, I'm going to be hooked on this shit now.
mcraigclark
The only complaint I have is having to run back to the computer each time a good song comes on and I don't know who did it.
sleeping_pirate
Dammit, I've got to the stage where I need to register but it's asking for a US Zip code and I don't have one. It says for US residents only, but there's no way to let it know I'm in the UK.
mcraigclark
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ Dec 21 2006, 07:52 AM)
Dammit, I've got to the stage where I need to register but it's asking for a US Zip code and I don't have one. It says for US residents only, but there's no way to let it know I'm in the UK.

It won't matter, will it? I'm sure there's lots of people using it who "live" in 90210. wink.gif
Rua
Thank you for inadvertnetly cheering me up.

This is all kinds of ace.
sleeping_pirate
QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Dec 21 2006, 01:01 PM)
It won't matter, will it?  I'm sure there's lots of people using it who "live" in 90210.  wink.gif

I nicked one off the back of a CD biggrin.gif

This site really is fantastic. I've typed in 'Elliott Smith' and some truly beautiful music has been playing.
maian
Great site. Should make for some very interesting listening.
Rua
I'm in Luke Vibert radio heaven.

cool.gif
widowspider
QUOTE (Rua @ Dec 21 2006, 01:10 PM)
Thank you for inadvertnetly cheering me up.

This is all kinds of ace.

It's a great site for introducing you to new music. If anyone's ever stuck for a zipcode, just use 10001 which means you live in the Financial District of New York.
Jon 79
QUOTE (widowspider @ Dec 21 2006, 06:40 PM)
It's a great site for introducing you to new music. If anyone's ever stuck for a zipcode, just use 10001 which means you live in the Financial District of New York.

I can't remember my zip code.
I just chose 5 random digits... (I thought 12345 might've been suspicious) ... I hope thay don't ask me for it again!
sleeping_pirate
I am so addicted to this website! Some really brilliant music on there.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
This is a great site. It's already doing a good job of finding new music that I'm enjoying as we speak.
m0r1arty
I demand a merge with my previous thread!

Merry Christmas everyone, can I suggest that you all check out Booker T and the Mg's on Pandora - It's not festive but it is feckin good!

-m0r
Jon 79
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ Dec 22 2006, 08:00 PM)
I am so addicted to this website! Some really brilliant music on there.

Good innit!
That's my christmas gift to the forum. The link to such an amazing website ...which no-one else found before me! .... (*put hands over ears* LA LALALALALALA!) biggrin.gif
MissingPlanet
I got two CDs today from bands I've rediscovered through Pandora (Dag Nasty and Cracker - I hadn't listened to either in 10 years).

It does go a bit odd sometimes. I put in Firewater and it came out with a bunch of stuff that is nothing like them.

QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ Dec 21 2006, 01:12 PM)
This site really is fantastic. I've typed in 'Elliott Smith' and some truly beautiful music has been playing.
Did it point you in the direction of Paul Westerberg? It should.
widowspider
Save Pandora Radio!

I got this email from the guy who started Pandora today:

Hi, it's Tim from Pandora,

I'm writing today to ask for your help.  The survival of Pandora and all of Internet radio is in jeopardy because of a recent decision by the Copyright Royalty Board in Washington, DC to almost triple the licensing fees for Internet radio sites like Pandora.  The new royalty rates are irrationally high, more than four times what satellite radio pays and broadcast radio doesn't pay these at all.  Left unchanged, these new royalties will kill every Internet radio site, including Pandora.

In response to these new and unfair fees, we have formed the SaveNetRadio Coalition, a group that includes listeners, artists, labels and webcasters.  I hope that you will consider joining us.

Please sign our petition urging your Congressional representative to act to save Internet radio: http://capwiz.com/saveinternetradio/issues...alertid=9631541

Please feel free to forward this link/email to your friends - the more petitioners we can get, the better. 

Understand that we are fully supportive of paying royalties to the artists whose music we play, and have done so since our inception.  As a former touring musician myself, I'm no stranger to the challenges facing working musicians.  The issue we have with the recent ruling is that it puts the cost of streaming far out of the range of ANY webcaster's business potential.

I hope you'll take just a few minutes to sign our petition - it WILL make a difference. As a young industry, we do not have the lobbying power of the RIAA. You, our listeners, are by far our biggest and most influential allies.

As always, and now more than ever, thank you for your support.

-Tim Westergren
(Pandora founder)

Please sign if you can. Cheers!
Jon 79
Well, that's all folks.
We just got an email from Tim, telling us that Pandora will stop it's stream to the UK from the 15th of January.

Meh!!!

hi, it's Tim,

This is an email I hoped I would never have to send.

As you probably know, in July of 2007 we had to block usage of Pandora outside the U.S. because of the lack of a viable license structure for Internet radio streaming in other countries. It was a terrible day. We did however hold out some hope that a solution might exist for the UK, so we left it unblocked as we worked diligently with the rights organizations to negotiate an economically workable license fee. After over a year of trying, this has proved impossible. Both the PPL (which represents the record labels) and the MCPS/PRS Alliance (which represents music publishers) have demanded per track performance minima rates which are far too high to allow ad supported radio to operate and so, hugely disappointing and depressing to us as it is, we have to block the last territory outside of the US.

Based upon the IP address from which you recently visited Pandora, it appears that you are listening from the UK. If you are, in fact, listening from the US, please contact Pandora Support: pandora-support@pandora.com.

It continues to astound me and the rest of the team here that the industry is not working more constructively to support the growth of services that introduce listeners to new music and that are totally supportive of paying fair royalties to the creators of music. I don't often say such things, but the course being charted by the labels and publishers and their representative organizations is nothing short of disastrous for artists whom they purport to represent - and by that I mean both well known and indie artists. The only consequence of failing to support companies like Pandora that are attempting to build a sustainable radio business for the future will be the continued explosion of piracy, the continued constriction of opportunities for working musicians, and a worsening drought of new music for fans. As a former working musician myself, I find it very troubling.

We have been told to sign these totally unworkable license rates or switch off, non-negotiable...so that is what we are doing. Streaming illegally is just not in our DNA, and we have to take the threats of legal action seriously. Lest you think this is solely an international problem, you should know that we are also fighting for our survival here in the US, in the face of a crushing increase in web radio royalty rates, which if left unchanged, would mean the end of Pandora.

We know what an epicenter of musical creativity and fan support the UK has always been, which makes the prospect of not being able to launch there and having to block our first listeners all the more upsetting for us.

We know there is a lot of support from listeners and artists in the UK for Pandora and remain hopeful that at some point we'll get beyond this. We're going to keep fighting for a fair and workable rate structure that will allow us to bring Pandora back to you. We'll be sure to let you know if Pandora becomes available in the UK. There may well come a day when we need to make a direct appeal for your support to move for governmental intervention as we have in the US. In the meantime, we have no choice but to turn off service to the UK.

Pandora will stop streaming to the UK as of January 15th, 2008.

Again, on behalf of all of us at Pandora, I'm very, very sorry.

tim_signature.jpg

-Tim Westergren
(Pandora founder)
feck off!
Bugger.
melzilla
That's very sad indeed.
Ade
Use Last FM instead! That is all I can say.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Ade @ Jan 8 2008, 10:17 AM)
Use Last FM instead! That is all I can say.

Alright...I joined up.

And this works how?
Jon 79
Last Fm is good, but it has its faults.
I think Pandora, has a greater range of music. Also, Last FM doesn't level the volume of tracks. ... which is annoying, when you can to change the volume yourself.

...on the other hand, it is better if you like a more eclectic mix. Pandora worked a little too well (in my opinion) in finding very similar artists.
Ade
Aye, maybe you're right regards LastFM.

Plus, to get access to all the site's features, you have to subscribe (I think it's currently set around 1.50/month), which may put a lot of people off. You can still use it even if you don't subscribe, but it limits the radio stations you can listen to I think. And you're right about the volume level being a nuisance. As for discovering new music, I haven't really used it much for that yet, and tend to stick my own music profile radio station for the most part.

I have to say I gave Pandora a try a while back, and I wasn't particularly impressed. But I'm sorry to hear it's gone the way of the dodo, given the number of people here who used it.
sleeping_pirate
Aw, I used to go on Pandora all the time sad.gif
Jon 79
Listening to Pandora now.

... probably for the last time. sad.gif
Wife Of Rolex
Already, I'm starting a small obsession putting my playlist together on Last.fm. I'm personally blaming Ade for my spending even more time on the internet. I was trying to cut down. wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.