Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Generic Star Trek
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
curtinparloe
Well, I'm surprised there isn't an actual ST thread, so here it is.

Whilst I'm not a trekkie (it's "trekker" now, isn't it? so it's less geeky or something) as such, I quite liked TOS and TNG. The other series were toss.

EDIT: For completeness, previous ST threads:
About the films
TOS or TNG?
Enterprise
The Eleventh Film
GundamGuy_UK
I think Trekker is the older term, and is meant in a nice way like Browncoat for Firefly fans. "Trekkie" came later and is a derogatory term for an obsessed and nerdy fanatic of Star Trek.

So I'd call myself a "Trekker" but not a "Trekkie", because whilst I'm a big fan of TOS and TNG, I don't dress up or anything and I accept that it's just a TV show, albeit an extremely good sci-fi show.

I agree with you, only TOS and TNG (and the movies) are good. The rest is too bogged-down in its own nerdiness and is rubbish, I think.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Wrongo!

DS9 rocked after about series 3.

TOS is OK for it's time, but doesn't stand up too well, although 'Spock's Brain' maybe the funniest thing made in the 60's.

ST:TNG got good around series 3 and remained pretty good for the rest of it's run. Only the lack of story-arcs prevented it's total greatness.

Voyager was rubbish, putting me of other Trek for a while. As a consequnece, I've never watched one episode of Enterprise.
UnderSpaced
So should I have skipped buying the second series (buy at a later date) of TNG and bought the 3rd series instead?
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (UnderSpaced @ Jan 13 2007, 06:18 PM)
So should I have skipped buying the second series (buy at a later date) of TNG and bought the 3rd series instead?

Well, If I turn on an episode on Sky and they've got the uniforms with no collars, I normally switch off again.
Omniscia
Hey, S2 has some decent episodes! "The Measure of a Man," "Time Squared," "Q Who"... S3, though, has "Yesterday's Enterprise" and "The Best of Both Worlds Part I."

It's hard to choose the best season, because there are standout episodes in each.
UnderSpaced
I'll take that as a yes.

EDIT: After seeing Omniscia's post, I'll keep to my original plan and buy them in order. There are episodes that might be worth seeing.
Omniscia
I really need to start buying them... I tried going through eBay, once, and got burned by some Hong Kong pirate who passed them off as authentic, factory-sealed R1 discs. Half of them work fine, half of them cut out 10 minutes before the end of the episode, and seasons 1 through 4 never made it here at all.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jan 13 2007, 07:34 PM)
"The Measure of a Man,"

Is that the one with the court trying to prove if Data is alive or not?

If it is, I think that's one of the best episodes of a sci-fi show I've ever seen. It's utterly brilliant.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jan 13 2007, 06:39 PM)
I really need to start buying them... I tried going through eBay, once, and got burned by some Hong Kong pirate who passed them off as authentic, factory-sealed R1 discs. Half of them work fine, half of them cut out 10 minutes before the end of the episode, and seasons 1 through 4 never made it here at all.

You've got to be so careful on Ebay. I bought Band Of Brothers and when it arrived it was clearly a pirated copy. It worked and the quality is acceptable but it's a pirate nonetheless. I put this in my feedback. My god, the stream of vitriol I got in response!
shinyelvenqueen
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Jan 13 2007, 05:32 PM)
Voyager was rubbish, putting me of other Trek for a while. As a consequnece, I've never watched one episode of Enterprise.

You missed out, even though since TNG and DS9 it went downhill, but Enterprise was a vast improvement on Voyager, but they could have made it better.
Omniscia
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jan 13 2007, 02:42 PM)
Is that the one with the court trying to prove if Data is alive or not?

If it is, I think that's one of the best episodes of a sci-fi show I've ever seen. It's utterly brilliant.

Yes, it is.

And yes, it is.
Kick in the Head
In fact, my favourite TNG episode is from the first season, Conspiracy, because it's got elements of TOS with plenty of fun unneccesary fisticuffs, the guy from The Hills Have Eyes, parasites and mind control, and perhaps the most grisly death sequence in the show's history.

And indeed DS9 was excellent after Way of the Warrior. The whole Dominion war period was a superb running storyline.
m0r1arty
There are four lights!

Nuff said really.

-m0r
Omniscia
QUOTE (m0r1arty @ Jan 13 2007, 09:10 PM)
There are four lights!

Yeah, "Chain of Command" is/are one/two of my favourites...
UnderSpaced
This is Bryan Singer on Nemesis right? I'm not hallucinating, I'm not!

Am I?
Omniscia
Google Image Search says you're not crazy.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jan 14 2007, 02:46 AM)
Yeah, "Chain of Command" is/are one/two of my favourites...

Just because you all love a bit of Picard arse.
Drifter
TNG will always be my favourite although I found the last season save for All Good Things a bit of a travesty,(save for Descent, Lower Decks, Thine Own Self) season 3 was the start of some really good TNG stories including The Offspring, Yesterday's Enterprise, Sarek and the Best of Both Worlds.

DS9 really got into its own as mentioned bfore after season 3 too, one of my all time favourite DS9 spiodes is The Visitor.

"Sir, I protest! I am not a merry man!"
Crutch
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Jan 13 2007, 06:32 PM)
Wrongo!

DS9 rocked after about series 3.

Wrongo!

It was fab from the start. It (and TOS) was probably the only ST show, that really knew how to deal with all of the characters. I loved the Domonion story arc (Combs!) and thought that all the darker elements of the show worked wonderfully in the ST universe. And in the last (two?) seasons there was a petite, cute girl with short dark hair (and sexy spots on her sides). It got the best Holodeck-stories ("Our man Bashir" or the Vic Fontaine character [Time Tunnel]) and the coolest set design/art department.

EDIT: Yes, that is Bryan Singer.

EDIT 2: "Chain of Command" (at least the second part of the two parter) is one of TNG finest hours. (So is Picard's tail-end.)
widowspider
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Jan 14 2007, 10:54 AM)

Oh hell yes.

I only have the first season of TNG on DVD, but it is and always will be my favourite of the Treks. A stellar ensemble cast (Frakes being the odd one out, although I do love Riker) headed up by an actor of such calibre that it was impossible for it not to be a success. I always enjoyed Voyager and thought that Enterprise was great (although it got tired a bit too quickly), but I've never been able to really get into TOS. It's just too hokey and dated now for me to enjoy it fully.
maian
Does anyone else adhere to the rule: Riker, Beard = Good; Riker, No Beard = Bad?

It's an almost unfailingly accurate way of telling, without prior knowledge of what is the plot of an episode may be, if it will be any good or not.
shinyelvenqueen
I see that sometimes. Riker gets more and more beardy as the series and films progress.

However, he has the beard in the episode where he brings that game from Risa. Baaaaaad boy.
Ringcoirewen
QUOTE (widowspider @ Jan 14 2007, 04:41 PM)
I only have the first season of TNG on DVD, but it is and always will be my favourite of the Treks. A stellar ensemble cast (Frakes being the odd one out, although I do love Riker) headed up by an actor of such calibre that it was impossible for it not to be a success. I always enjoyed Voyager and thought that Enterprise was great (although it got tired a bit too quickly), but I've never been able to really get into TOS. It's just too hokey and dated now for me to enjoy it fully.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. biggrin.gif

I blame my status as a Trekker on my dad, as we used to watch it together when I was younger. It's one of those things we used to do together that we can still do now, so it gives me joy every time I watch it.
Omniscia
QUOTE (Drifter @ Jan 14 2007, 11:30 AM)
DS9 really got into its own as mentioned bfore after season 3 too, one of my all time favourite DS9 spiodes is The Visitor.
"Sir, I protest! I am not a merry man!"

That's a damn fine episode, that is.

As for TNG Season 7, give some love to "The Pegasus," already! A great Riker episode, if ever there was one, and a great episode in its own right. I'm also partial to "Parallels," but not everyone digs that one as much.

It is all dragged down a bit by episodes like "Sub Rosa," though... I like Dr. Crusher as much as the next guy, but surely they could have done more for her than hook her up with some ghost in an episode reportedly cribbed from an Anne Rice novel.
shinyelvenqueen
She is the most underused character.

The one that sticks out in my mind is when her and Picard are on a planet and a locked together as criminals and if they move apart they feel nauseous. But can't remember much else...
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (maian @ Jan 14 2007, 05:45 PM)
Does anyone else adhere to the rule: Riker, Beard = Good; Riker, No Beard = Bad?

It's an almost unfailingly accurate way of telling, without prior knowledge of what is the plot of an episode may be, if it will be any good or not.

"Growing the beard" is the opposite of "Jumping the shark", for that very reason.
Omniscia
QUOTE (shinyelvenqueen @ Jan 14 2007, 01:24 PM)
She is the most underused character.

The one that sticks out in my mind is when her and Picard are on a planet and a locked together as criminals and if they move apart they feel nauseous. But can't remember much else...

That, I think you will find, is also a Season 7 episode, "Attached."
gulfcoast_highwayman
Am I alone in being unable to watch any episode revolving around Deanna Troi's woefully unfunny Mother?
Omniscia
I can't stand Lwaxana, either. Majel Barrett should have stuck to playing Nurse Chapel and the Voice of the Computer.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (maian @ Jan 14 2007, 08:45 AM)

laugh.gif Yes. Same rule goes for Deanna in uniform and sensible hair, vs. fashion show and that ridiculous do that looked like a maypole.
Julie
QUOTE (maian @ Jan 14 2007, 11:45 AM)

I had a massive crush on Riker when he was bearded.

I'll get my coat.
maian
QUOTE (Julie @ Jan 14 2007, 07:22 PM)
I had a massive crush on Riker when he was bearded.
I'll get my coat.

It's perfectly understandable. Without the beard he looks like a shapeless blob in a uniform. the beard actually makes him look distinguished.
Omniscia
Troi is a bit more difficult to call than Riker, 'cos not only have you got the space mini-skirt look, but also two uniforms: The proper Starfleet look, and the skintight purple bodysuit.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jan 14 2007, 07:38 PM)
Troi is a bit more difficult to call than Riker, 'cos not only have you got the space mini-skirt look, but also two uniforms: The proper Starfleet look, and the skintight purple bodysuit.

She only really got watchable when she got into the proper starfleet uniform. Prior to that she used to make me cringe 'I sense anger Captain.....' just after the Enterprise had taken a photon blast.
Omniscia
And let's not forget the blue bodysuit, either...

Yeah, I'm glad she finally toned down the empath stuff, too.
widowspider
Let's face it, the only reason Majel Barrett was Deanna's mother is because she was Gene Roddenberry's wife. Terrible actress.

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jan 14 2007, 05:19 PM)
That's a damn fine episode, that is.

As for TNG Season 7, give some love to "The Pegasus," already! A great Riker episode, if ever there was one, and a great episode in its own right. I'm also partial to "Parallels," but not everyone digs that one as much.

It is all dragged down a bit by episodes like "Sub Rosa," though... I like Dr. Crusher as much as the next guy, but surely they could have done more for her than hook her up with some ghost in an episode reportedly cribbed from an Anne Rice novel.

Was Parallels the one where he was acting in the play with Data but it kept turning into a real-life hallucination where he really was in an insane asylum? That was one of his best-acted episodes.

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jan 14 2007, 05:41 PM)
That, I think you will find, is also a Season 7 episode, "Attached."

That was the one where they were telepathically linked and she finally found out that Picard had been in love with her for years, right? Again, good episode.
Julie
QUOTE (widowspider @ Jan 14 2007, 05:11 PM)
Picard had been in love with her for years, right? Again, good episode.

My favourite for many years smile.gif
m0r1arty
I still think they should have let Wesley get killed for running on the grass.

He was a pint sized prick and a half.

The traveller!!! - Why not just have him killed off lke the did with Tasha?

-m0r
Omniscia
QUOTE (widowspider @ Jan 14 2007, 06:11 PM)
Was Parallels the one where he was acting in the play with Data but it kept turning into a real-life hallucination where he really was in an insane asylum? That was one of his best-acted episodes.

No. That was "Frame of Mind."

I didn't mean to single "Parallels" out as a good Riker episode, but rather a good Season 7 episode. It's the one in which Worf returns from a conference somewhere off-ship, and notices many strange goings-on, before realising he's being bounced around between alternate dimensions.
m0r1arty
Where he is in love with Troi in each of them - all apart from his own.

This sets up the whole beginning of All Good Things.

I thought I was in a parallel universe there, my RNA was out of sync or whatever with everyone elses', glad it's sorted out wacko.gif

-m0r
Omniscia
Yeah, yeah, the whole Troi subplot thing was a little naff, but I'm willing to let it slide.
zeden
I grew up on TNG and loved every second of it, especially anything to do with Q. Liked the original for it's camp cheese. Found DS9 painfully dull. Liked Voyager most of the time. Watched 3 episodes of Enterprise and got bored.
curtinparloe
I'm still nostalgic about TOS. One of the funniest Sci-fi lines ever came from the banter with McCoy. In "The Devil in the Dark", he has to heal a wounded silicon-creature, and he says "I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer."
widowspider
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jan 14 2007, 11:31 PM)
No. That was "Frame of Mind."

I didn't mean to single "Parallels" out as a good Riker episode, but rather a good Season 7 episode. It's the one in which Worf returns from a conference somewhere off-ship, and notices many strange goings-on, before realising he's being bounced around between alternate dimensions.

Ahh. That is also a muchos good episode - it all revolves around the birthday-cake cutting, as I seem to recall. The Troi subplot that came along afterwards was a bit naff, but I loved Worf's extreme awkwardness in this episode about discovering he was married to her in alternate existences.

I too, loved all the Q episodes. He and Picard were such a superb pair when playing off each other.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (widowspider @ Jan 14 2007, 10:11 PM)
Let's face it, the only reason Majel Barrett was Deanna's mother is because she was Gene Roddenberry's wife. Terrible actress.

Oh she was, for sure. And her presence is mandatory - must be something in Gene's will or something. Her appearance on DS9 was a contrived nonsense and kinda embarrassing. Plus she is really old looking and gets these romantic plotlines were she is irressistable. We all felt like Odo.

She should just be happy with saying "perimeters established" as the computer. Heck - she is in every frekking episode.

Sefi x
Omniscia
Don't forget, she's like Lamont Cranston: She can cloud the minds of her prey.
shinyelvenqueen
Whenever Majel Barrett was on screen did they play any computer at the same time? Coz, that would be wierd....
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (m0r1arty @ Jan 14 2007, 02:29 PM)
I still think they should have let Wesley get killed for running on the grass.

He was a pint sized prick and a half.

NO WESLEY PICKING-ON. I will have none of it. tongue.gif

QUOTE (gulfcoast highwayman)

And Picard guns.

Hnngh!
shinyelvenqueen
*peers over 30H's shoulder and raises fist*

Yeeeeaaahh!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.