Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Skins
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2
m0r1arty
Well it's just came on so I thought I'd blag the thread that reports thereon.

I still think the bus advert for it is too silly, she's pee all over her tights.

And the boy with the bed sheets with male and female 'below the necks' on them seems a little too Ferris Bueller for me (well from the adverts of it).

The next 'As If'?

As good as the O.C.

Well, post here and tell all!

-m0r
Chris
Making Nicholas "About a Boy" Hoult the narrative centre of it is problematic. i'm not sure if it's the script or the acting...but it's laughable. He cannot act, it's too studied. This is the result of the "values", characteristics, techniques of the music video brought to bear on Grange Hill (with swearing) It's also trying far far too hard to shock. If shock is a result...fair enough, but it seems to be the drive of the show. Too studied, too acted, too MTVesqe.

First episodes are always a good indicator. The character intros are incredibly clumsy. A gay lad (tick), ballsy black girl (tick) good looking (though half as good looking as he imagines) *moral* centre around which everything/one rotates (tick) stoner with half arsed political opinions (tick) overly sexualised and sexualy signified girl (tick) Muslim boy - partially reacting against the constraints of the religion (tick) ...

Having said all that, the ideas contained within it and giving the "voice" and narrative imperative(s) to "yoof" is an interesting and potentially fruitful endeavour. Hope it improves cos at the moment i'm in pain. It seems so much effort it's embarrassing.

Chris
Rua
I just caught the last 15 mins or so.

It looks bollocks.
ipse dixit
I watched it and yeah - it's a bit naff. The swearing (particularly Harry Enfield and Sid's unseen parent) was forced in, whether to be funny or cool I'm not sure but it didn't convince me of either. I didn't like the main lad (although at least he's not as funny-looking as he was when he was little) and Cassie tended to be overplayed. I thought Chris and Sid were both good, though.

It's about time there was an enjoyable, realistic depiction of British youth for British youth on TV, so I hope it does find its feet, but the whole thing had the same undeserved I'm-so-cool smugness that's irritatingly smeared all over Tony's face.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
I liked it. Well most of it. Mad Twatter was a very entertaining bit of comic relief and strangely reminded me of a mental drug dealer I used to know. That guy does play a lot of nutters doesn't he?

EDIT Apparently Simon Amstell is one of the writers on the show. Interesting.
Lauren
I thought it was awful, it was like As If without the soul.

I wasn't like that at their age, and I don't know anyone who was.... and before you say it, it wasn't THAT long ago...
Sostie
Well this week's episode was a vast, vast improvement on last week. Seems they may be focussing on one of the group per week, and in Cassie they had probably the most interesting character of the lot. I'm not going to pretend I know anything about eating disorders, but I thought Cassie's story was pretty disturbing, moving and dealt with quite well - not at all what I expected if the first episode was anything to go by.
logger
When watching La Dolce Vita earlier this week I wondered if this is what Skins is like. I'm still too scared to watch though.
Zoe
Just home from work and turned on E4+1. This is like a play I would have written for GCSE drama about teenage eating disorders.

i.e. shit, pretentious, unrealistic and featuring some the most self-conscious dialogue I have ever heard.

That said, I do quite fancy that one from 'About a Boy' now he's 17, which is a bit wrong... but no one would bat an eyelid if I was a man saying the same thing (about a teenage girl).

And now I'm just waffling, like a character in 'Skins'.

Oh good! Gratuitous nudity! It's like late-night fucking 'Hollyoaks'. I wonder what it would be like to be a young, female, secondary school teacher...?

I'm at it again.
fear_of_pop
I think it's all right.
A hell of a lot better than the adverts made it look.
Hobbes
i'm watching it for the pop culture importance of it. it's a bit sixth form, true, but i'm enjoying it. it's actually not totally innaccurate in terms of realism, i know people similar to the lads in skins.
tigerlily
QUOTE (Zoe @ Feb 2 2007, 12:41 AM)
I wonder what it would be like to be a young, female, secondary school teacher...?

I'm at it again.

Ah . . . live with the wonder.

The squeaky-voiced, pus-filled, hormone ridden reality would shatter your dreams.
maian
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Feb 4 2007, 01:22 PM)
i'm watching it for the pop culture importance of it. it's a bit sixth form, true, but i'm enjoying it. it's actually not totally innaccurate in terms of realism, i know people similar to the lads in skins.

Yeah, there was a time when I was a part of that sort of crowd, so there is some accuracy there. What I have seen of it has been enjoyable but it all seems a bit forced.

I also get distracted by the fact that the drug dealer looks exactly like one of my housemates from last year. It's uncanny.
maian
I personally think that the last two episodes have been very good, particularly the Sid character, who is very sweet and works quite well.

My only real problem with it as a show is also what I would consider it's greatest strength, namelyt the decision to focus on one character per week. On the one hand, episodes add a great depth to the characters who otherwise don't get a look in, the episode focusing on Chris in particular was quite a good comi-tragic episode. However, it annoys me quite a bit that all the characters become one-dimensional when the episode isn't about them. Again, Chris offers a good example of this because he became an unlikeable fool in the Sid episode, which seemed like a rather sudden shift from the previous week.

It's not exactly a work of genius, but it's entertaining and reasonably interesting.
Zoe
I really liked the Chris episode, he's by far the best character.

I didn't enjoy the Sid one all that much (apart from Chris) and Cassie gets right up my nose.

Like 'As if' I think my enjoyment of 'Skins' will be heavily based around which character they're focusing on.

Did anyone else find it a bit disturbing when it looked him out of 'About a Boy' was going for a threesome?
Hobbes
i think it's really picked up recently, and i'm really enjoying it now, despite its slow-ish start.

also the chris episode was the best because he's the best character by miles.
Zoe
QUOTE (Zoe @ Feb 25 2007, 10:42 PM)
I really liked the Chris episode, he's by far the best character.

QUOTE (Hobbes @ Feb 25 2007, 10:43 PM)
also the chris episode was the best because he's the best character by miles.

Great minds.
maian
I think I empathise more with Sid but I do agree that Chris is a great character. The entirety of his episode was one glorious spiral downwards that was handled very well.

I also think that Cassie is a very annoying character, even if I did warm to her during her episode.
Ghost_862
I hated the first episode. It was as though a group of fifty year olds got together and wrote a script about what they think teenagers do in their spare time, based on a Daily Mail editorial column.

It was self-indulgent, controversial for the sake of it and just stupid in general. It in no way reflected the way in which teenagers today behave yet most of the reviews would have you believe it does. I want to know who is writing these reviews.

However, as it has progressed it has grown on me. Tony is a dislikeable character but Nicholas Hoult seems like a dislikeable person in general, based on his recent interviews and appearances.

Every time Sid is onscreen you just want to cuddle him. The ending of the last episode where Tony walked in and took whatserface back while Sid was dancing with her was horrible.

The next episode looks like it might be alright as well, highlighting prejudice gay teenagers experience, even amongst their friends.

In my opinion it began as an attention seeking charicature of modern teenage life, which was hugely inaccurate and almost seemed to glamorous their excessive lifestyles.
But now it does seem to have calmed down a bit and be doing a better job of accurately reflecting teen life whilst at the same time purveying some sort of message to it's audience each week.
maian
QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ Feb 25 2007, 10:51 PM)
The next episode looks like it might be alright as well, highlighting prejudice gay teenagers experience, even amongst their friends.

Would it be presumptive to assume that is the episode Simon Amstell has written?

Edit: According to imdb, no it wouldn't.
piglet
i watched bits of a couple of episode's and found it like rubbing a big bag of salt into a bleeding ass...... but hey i am trying to sit on the fence about it.
Ghost_862
QUOTE (maian @ Feb 25 2007, 10:52 PM)
Would it be presumptive to assume that is the episode Simon Amstell has written?

Edit: According to imdb, no it wouldn't.

That's interesting.

Double reason to tune in, then!
gulfcoast_highwayman
I got an episode from Channel 4's on demand service and fast forwarded it to the bit where the Welsh teacher was naked, watched that bit and then turned it off.

Based on that two minutes, it's fucking great.
tigerlily
I have to do a presentation on Skins on Thursday - how realistic is its representation of teenage life. Since placement has been so horrendously busy I'm sitting down to write it today. Good forward planning.

I think the angle is going to be that it's possibly unique in the way it was written and marketed but not terribly so in its depiction of teenagers. Ticky box stuff really, although they did seem to get a moral code in there.

Anyway, I have to also shoehorn in some stuff on Structuralism and/or Post-Structuralism. Any thoughts people who know of such things?
Hobbes
just show them a picture of me and let them make their mind up whether it's accurate or not.

zoe seems to think that my life is just like skins.
tigerlily
Excellent, I'll do that. Saves me the bother of typing out words. Hurrah!

What you seem to be saying there Mr Luke is that it is an accurate representation of teenage life, at least your teenage life. I'm thinking that it depends on what age you are as to how you read the representations. That seems to link to some sort of Post-Structuralist thought.

I'll possibly back this up by some rantings from the Daily Mail.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (tigerlily @ Jun 5 2007, 03:33 PM)
I'll possibly back this up by some rantings from the Daily Mail.

In that case, the phrase Imagine my horror/surprise might be worth remembering.
PrincessKate
See what I caught of it seemed entirely unrealistic - particularly the drug use.
But
1. I came of age in the countryside where it's slightly more difficult to get your paws on class A's
and
2. I didn't go to a lot of parties so I have a very narrow view of such things, I think.
Zoe
It was just pills and weed in 'Skins' wasn't it? Lots of that went on at my school/sixth form, nothing harder though.
maian
You'd occasionally find cocaine at my school but for the most part it was ecstacy and weed, and we lived in the middle of the countryside. As a result I found much of Skins realistic since it resembled my teenage years, though more so if I replaced all the urban development with fields.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
Tony's sister got given smack in one episode but that was about it.

(she was ok)
Zoe
QUOTE (maian @ Jun 5 2007, 06:15 PM)
As a result I found much of Skins realistic since it resembled my teenage years,

I'd say so, and there was always some stupid Cassie-a-like claiming to have overdosed.

I always thought the "I'll just have a half" line in 'Spaced' was comically accurate too.

Coke didn't really surface for me till Uni, but I think that might be reflective of our age difference. It just wasn't available. I do remember the aerosol sniffing craze of year eight, I sniffed some tippex and thought I might die.
maian
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 5 2007, 06:20 PM)
I'd say so, and there was always some stupid Cassie-a-like claiming to have overdosed.

Aside from the annoying voice, Cassie resembled quite a lot of people I knew at college who would make a really bit deal out of drugs and saying that they had overdosed when they clearly hadn't. Not that they weren't annoying for other reasons, they just didn't have annoying voices.

Coke didn't really surface for me till Uni, but I think that might be reflective of our age difference. It just wasn't available. I do remember the aerosol sniffing craze of year eight, I sniffed some tippex and thought I might die.

Probably. It was something that tended to show up at the occasional party but it was quite rare, especially compared to how much of it I have seen whilst at Uni. Aerosol sniffing wasn't really around anymore when I was at school, though it still happened when you couldn't get hold of anything better. It was generally considered to be a bit stupid though since you always heard horror stories about people dying from sniffing it.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
I always thought the "I'll just have a half" line in 'Spaced' was comically accurate too.

I totally agree, I properly lol'd when I first saw that scene and it continues to be funny whenever I see it again.

It's a mint.

Yeah...I'll have half.

There was no coke in our school (thank fuck - nasty, dirty drug) although a few of the girls in our sixth form used to do speed in and out of school (even nastier drug, ick)
Starscream`s Ghost
Christ knows where the drugs were at York Sixth Form. I never bloody saw any.
Zoe
I forgot about speed, yeah that was around too. I don't think it's quite so fashionable these days.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
I never actually saw them, just heard the talk. Some of the kids in my form also used to down cans of lager in the toilets during lunch.

I was too busy playing football and generally being fit and healthy around that time anyway. I didn't even get drunk until I was 17.

Made up for it when I left school though.
Sean of the Dead
To quote Dylan Moran: I don't do drugs. If I want a rush I get out of the chair when I'm not expecting it.
maian
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 5 2007, 06:27 PM)
I forgot about speed, yeah that was around too. I don't think it's quite so fashionable these days.

It wasn't when I was in sixth form. People tended to go for weed/pills or cocaine, with very few of the in between ones being sampled, though people did still do them, they weren't that popular. Probably because there was more demand for the others so those would be easier to buy. Market forces in action.
Zoe
There was quite a lot of peer pressure relating to that sort of thing in my school days.

I know the first time I smoked dope was purely to look cool; in a field, in a big circle, taking turns at toking then holding it in till it came back to you, when I was twelve - I did not look cool.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
I think speed was more of a southern thing, for some reason. I only tried it once and it was a thoroughly disgusting experience.
Zoe
Lincoln's not really southern.

Speed was one of the few things my father had warned me off.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
That's very smart advice.

I only based my southern theory on the fact I was offered speed in Plymouth and Portsmouth, it was a bit rubbish I admit.

Anyway returning briefly to the topic of Skins, which characters should return for the 2nd series?

(Chris and Sid, obviously)
Ghost_862
Get rid of Cassie, because she is an extremely one-dimensional character.

More Maxxie - he was underused in series one.

Less of the one with the clarinet or whatever it was, all she did was whinge about nothing.

Sidenote; quite stunned byall this drug talk. Fortunately, where I am there seems to be very little of that going on. Within my social circle, at list. In fact, I don't think any of my circle use any drugs except alcohol or cigarettes. I've always found drugs utterly repellent anyway. I don't even drink.

The few friends I did have who used drugs all dropped out of school/college. One got stoned and burnt his house down. He smoked so much weed he's practically a vegetable now; he squats - with another girl who burnt her house down - and a group of others who all have to look after him 24/7.
fear_of_pop
Was Chris the one that was 'stepping out' with the teacher? Or was he the blonde gay one...
I liked both of them.

In fact I want them all to return for the second series. sad.gif
And I want Simon Amstell to write more of them, but I think he's a bit busy.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ Jun 10 2007, 03:50 PM)

It would appear your wish has been granted. The first episode of series 2 of Skins will be a Maxxie based episode featuring Bill Bailey as his dad.

Sounds good.
maian
QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ Jun 10 2007, 03:50 PM)
Get rid of Cassie, because she is an extremely one-dimensional character.

Less of the one with the clarinet or whatever it was, all she did was whinge about nothing.
Sidenote; quite stunned byall this drug talk. Fortunately, where I am there seems to be very little of that going on. Within my social circle, at list. In fact, I don't think any of my circle use any drugs except alcohol or cigarettes. I've always found drugs utterly repellent anyway. I don't even drink. 

The few friends I did have who used drugs all dropped out of school/college. One got stoned and burnt his house down. He smoked so much weed he's practically a vegetable now; he squats - with another girl who burnt her house down - and a group of others who all have to look after him 24/7.

See, in my experience it's been exactly the opposite; most of my friends who do drugs have all graduated from university with good degrees, including myself and a former housemate who is a massive stoner and is currently doing a Masters at UCL, and those people I used to know who swore off drugs have tended to not have done anything with their lives. That's not to say that drugs are a good or a bad thing, just that it depends on the person.
fear_of_pop
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Nov 16 2007, 03:30 PM)
It would appear your wish has been granted. The first episode of series 2 of Skins will be a Maxxie based episode featuring Bill Bailey as his dad.

Sounds good.

Bill Bailey?! Are you serious?

Fantastic!
But, I have to say.... the genes are not a match.
Ghost_862
When does series two start??
Ghost_862
QUOTE (maian @ Nov 18 2007, 07:23 PM)
See, in my experience it's been exactly the opposite; most of my friends who do drugs have all graduated from university with good degrees, including myself and a former housemate who is a massive stoner and is currently doing a Masters at UCL, and those people I used to know who swore off drugs have tended to not have done anything with their lives. That's not to say that drugs are a good or a bad thing, just that it depends on the person.

I think you're right, it must depend on the person.

One of my best friends throughout school was a guy name Jed, who was magnificantly clever. His parents were both teachers and it showed. Our headteacher actually laid money on his getting the highest SATs grades in the county. I think he was beaten by one person.

He was top set for everything... could have done anything he wanted, and with great ease.

However, come about year nine he got into pot and then harder stuff and by year ten he had dropped out. He went nuts. His dad had a nervous breakdown over it. The last I heard Jed was a plasterer's assistant. Not that it's not an honest living, but this guy could have been a pilot or something.

I think you only have to look to popular culture to see how drugs affect different people. Some of the world's greatest minds indulged in substance abuse their entire lives. Others lost their dift or killed themselves.

Personally, I don't want to run the risk. Although if I did, I think my drug of choice would be demerol. Or morphine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.