Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red Nose Day 2009
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
rabbit57i
Launch Day At The London Red Eye
Raven
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Feb 1 2007, 09:53 PM)

Looks like a good evening to un-plug the telly . . .
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 1 2007, 09:55 PM)
Looks like a good evening to un-plug the telly . . .

It usually is.
NiteFall
Red Nose Day is on March 16, and among the highlights of that night’s telethon will be

* A sketch featuring Catherine Tate on Deal Or No Deal
    * The last ever episode of Vicar Of Dibley – with Sting as guest star
    * A celebrity version of The Apprentice, featuring Jo Brand, Piers Morgan, Alistair Campbell and others
    * An airing of the live Little Britain gala featuring such celebs as Kate Moss, Dennis Waterman and Peter Kay
    * Car Booty – Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders try to sell some of the contents of their home at a car boot sale.

These are highlights?
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Feb 1 2007, 11:13 PM)
These are highlights?

Well let's face it, last time the highlight was watching Peter Kay walk on a treadmill to a Tony Christie song. At least, that's all I can remember.
Omniscia
Can't Sting just stick to his 16th-century folk music, or Ritchie Blackmore run him out of town on that endeavour?
Zoe
I thought the last episode of 'The Vicar of Dibley' was on over Christmas?

I'm surprised they can make anymore since Dawn French appears to have eaten the rest of the cast.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Zoe @ Feb 1 2007, 11:52 PM)
I thought the last episode of 'The Vicar of Dibley' was on over Christmas?

I'm surprised they can make anymore since Dawn French appears to have eaten the rest of the cast.

Meow.
Zoe
There's a line. I'm all for women being curvy and healthy (me included), but there's a line. Recently she has got ridiculously overweight and morbidly obese is not a look to be encouraged.

Mrs. Guy of Gisbourne? As if.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Zoe @ Feb 2 2007, 12:02 AM)
There's a line. I'm all for women being curvy and healthy (me included), but there's a line. Recently she has got ridiculously overweight and morbidly obese is not a look to be encouraged.

Mrs. Guy of Gisbourne? As if.

It'll be all those Chocolate Oranges. I hope I'm not alone in seeing the irony of her husband doing VO for the Hellman's Lite ads.
Zoe
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Feb 2 2007, 12:05 AM)
It'll be all those Chocolate Oranges.

My favourite 'Hard Sell' ever...

In April 2002 there was an episode of Room 101 in which, among other things such as caravan holidays and child-friendly restaurants, Ricky Gervais listed Children In Need as one of his pet hates. His problem was not so much that he had to endure the cast of Birds Of A Feather assassinating Lady Marmalade but with "people like Dawn French ... telling us there's not enough food. I mean, why's that then, eh?"

Nearly three years on and, as her latest ad for Terry's Chocolate Orange clearly proves, French is bigger than ever. Based on the flimsy notion that people the world over are still struggling to prise their chocolate orange open (cue images of Frenchmen playing pétanque with one, geishas karate-chopping them, etc) we arrive in Britain where a bookish woman sits alone in a country kitchen, daintily tapping her chocolate orange on the table-top to no avail. Suddenly, a sasquatchian figure appears at the back door and proceeds to barge its way in, although given that it is French (who must now be at least 20 stone), it's safe to assume the old dear heard her coming. "Don't tap it!" French screams, brandishing a rolling pin. "WHACK IT!" At which point she smashes the orange open and tucks in, her sausage fingers snaffling up the segments. Then, as the little old lady reaches out to take a piece - it is, after all, her chocolate orange - French repels her, like she hasn't had enough already.

Like Pete Doherty becoming the new face of Holland & Barrett, there is something inherently wrong in the idea of Dawn French advertising chocolate. It is nothing short of disgusting to see a morbidly obese woman joyously cramming confectionery into her mouth. But French, it seems, can get away with it. If Rik Waller or Michelle McManus did it, there would be outrage. People would take to the streets, Lord Jamie Oliver would launch another of his campaigns and parliament would be recalled for an emergency sitting on tightening up the censorship laws. French does it, though, and it's funny. Or rather, it's not. If there's a better advert for eating fruit, I've yet to see it.
gulfcoast_highwayman
That's hilarious Zoe. Who wrote it?

(please don't say Russell Brand).
Zoe
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Feb 2 2007, 09:06 AM)
That's hilarious Zoe. Who wrote it?
(please don't say Russell Brand).

Gavin Newsham it was the weekly 'Hard Sell' in 'The Guide'.

Looking at archive it appears to have appeared in November 2005, the fact I remembered it is testament to its quality.
Rua
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Feb 1 2007, 11:15 PM)
Well let's face it, last time the highlight was watching Peter Kay walk on a treadmill to a Tony Christie song. At least, that's all I can remember.

Coogans return as Partridge with Pegg being interviewed as the once Milky Bar Kid turned child prostitute was alright.
Zoe
And let's not forget Ronnie Corbett falling off said treadmill, which was hilarious.

Simon Amstell's McFly interview with contributions from Catherine Tate was very good to...

"Was you upset when Charlie left?"
Sostie
There have been a few good Comic Relief moments over the years - TVs (and my) first exposure to Eddie Izzard, Vic & Bob's shambolic first appearance, Paul Daniels' disastrous attempt at doing magic and being funny and the aforementioned McFly/Tate interview...but as a whole night of entertainment it is very avoidable.
purple prole
QUOTE (Sostie @ Feb 2 2007, 11:15 AM)
Vic & Bob's shambolic first appearance

Was that when they were trying to sing whilst drinking about 20 pints of lager?
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Sostie @ Feb 2 2007, 07:15 AM)
There have been a few good Comic Relief moments over the years - TVs (and my) first exposure to Eddie Izzard, Vic & Bob's shambolic first appearance, Paul Daniels' disastrous attempt at doing magic and being funny and the aforementioned McFly/Tate interview...but as a whole night of entertainment it is very avoidable.

That's why you tape it & just watch the bits you like.

I do have to say that it's been getting worse & more boring with each successive year. I don't think there was anything of interest on it last time 'round.
rabbit57i
Jade's Been Dropped
Sir_Robin_the_brave
Thank fuck.
fear_of_pop
People at work are making us dress up as movie stars for charity.
sad.gif

Have to think of a movie star costume that involves jeans and a t shirt...
Jumpin Jack Flash
James Dean!
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Jumpin Jack Flash @ Feb 24 2007, 06:18 PM)
James Dean!

Yes, but be James Dean after his car accident.
melzilla
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Feb 2 2007, 09:22 PM)
That's why you tape it & just watch the bits you like.

Haha..I do that every year! Apart from the fact i work weekend nights so miss most of it anyway, it means you can watch any potential good bits and fast forward through the guff and the "people dying" bits. It usually cuts the entire night's viewing down to a good half an hour or so!

And i can't believe they're dragging up another Vicar of Dibley thing!....on the other hand, yes i can...its the ever-imaginative bbc!
Jimmay
QUOTE (Zoe @ Feb 2 2007, 10:53 AM)
Simon Amstell's McFly interview with contributions from Catherine Tate was very good to...

I found that one of the single most irritating pieces of television I have ever seen. It was my first exposure to Catherine Tate and all I wanted to do was jump into the screen, hit her repeatedly in the face and then turn to Simon and say "sorry mate, you were saying?"

Who would have thought that she would make an entire series based on it and my hatred of that character would blossom like one of those huge flowers that smell of rancid meat and shit.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Feb 27 2007, 11:26 AM)
Yes, but be James Dean after his car accident.

Complete with dubious-looking cigarette burns.
Raven
Resurrected, 2007 thread with a shiny new title!

--------------

The well known comedian David Tennant is presenting the first hour of this years Comic Relief.

Read more here: Tennant to present Comic Relief.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.