Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Music news
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Music
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Gimp
There didn't seem to be a general news thread for things that didn't quite deserve their own post.

In that spirit, I give you:

02 Mar 2007

Divine Comedy Left Labeless!

It's been confirmed today, the day after winning the coveted Choice Music Prize, that Divine Comedy have officially parted ways with their record company.

A Dublin spokesman for EMI confirmed today that they have not been working with Divine Comedy since last year.

After leaving the Setanta label, Hannon signed to EMI, with 2001's Regeneration as their first release, which was a top 20 hit in the UK.

Together, the artist and label went on to release Absent Friends in 2003 and Victory For The Comic Muse in 2006, for which Hannon won the Choice Music Prize accolade on Wednesday.

Usurprisingly, all in Neil's camp are not fazed by the annoucement. Hannon's manager, Natalie de Pace, said: "Yes, the deal with EMI is at an end but its all very amicable and we haven't ruled out the idea of doing something with them at some point in the future.

"Meanwhile things with Neil are all very exciting. There's the Choice Music Prize, which Neil is blown away about winning. He's contributed to the Air album which is out in late March. He's also writing for a whole load of different things, including the new series of Graham Linehan's IT Crowd and he's working on a theatre project with the National Theatre in London.

The redoing of his back catalogue should be finished this year at some point ready for re-release, and when he's done all that there's a new Divine Comedy album to write.. It's busy!"

The Hot Press Newsdesk

I don't think it's too worrysome. Let's hope wherever he goes next, they'll actually publicise his work.
maian
Best band in Sheffield with ''Monkey'' in their name Monkey Swallows The Universe have signed to Loose Records and are due to release their second album ''The Casket Letters'' this summer. Since their debut is only available in six shops in the entirety of England they will hopefully get a wider audience this time around.

The band are also touring this month and next and I highly recommend you go and see them if they are near you. They are a really spellbinding act.

Tour Details
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Gimp @ Mar 3 2007, 07:37 PM)
I don't think it's too worrysome. Let's hope wherever he goes next, they'll actually publicise his work.

He's a busy bunny, is our Neil. Series Two of IT Crowd, and the music he's doing for the NYT.

He might even start his own label. After all, not liking much publicity, and hating releasing singles isn't exactly going to have the record companies falling over themselves to sign him.
Starscream`s Ghost
Proclaimers Interview

Good to see the lads doing well again.

Not that they ever really weren't, of course.
Stella MM
6 Music are reporting that The Darkness are over in their current incarnation but will continue to release and record under a new name and without Justin Hawkins.

Well, that was a bit of a flash in the pan wasn't it?
Ade
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Mar 22 2007, 09:55 AM)
Proclaimers Interview

Good to see the lads doing well again.

Not that they ever really weren't, of course.

Indeed. The Speccy Twins have been churning out consistently excellent material for ages.
Stella MM
Fuuuuck! Patrick Wolf announces retirement from music.

He says he's sick of the touring and "being cross-examined". I think this is just post-tour fatigue talking. He strikes me as the sort of musician who makes music not because they can, but because they have to so I think he'll be making music again before long. It would be a tragedy if he didn't, frankly.
SkipToTheEnd
cant see it happening.... whenever people say that theyre always back 6months later. Its not like hes dead rich or anything either, whats he got to fall back on? And surely if its the publicity he dislikes he can just make music and not tour it, even if it has to be on a less pushy label....
maian
QUOTE (SkipToTheEnd @ Apr 26 2007, 01:04 AM)
cant see it happening.... whenever people say that theyre always back 6months later. Its not like hes dead rich or anything either, whats he got to fall back on? And surely if its the publicity he dislikes he can just make music and not tour it, even if it has to be on a less pushy label....

He says he has ''other projects'' he wants to work on, so he might go into film or theatre or something that will keep him occupied. If anyone was going to quit from music and really mean it, I get the feeling Patrick Wolf would be the one.
Jon 79
QUOTE (Stella MM @ Mar 22 2007, 10:35 PM)
Well, that was a bit of a flash in the pan wasn't it?

This pan flash actually lasted longer than I'd anticipated.
SkipToTheEnd
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 28 2007, 09:59 AM)
He says he has ''other projects'' he wants to work on, so he might go into film or theatre or something that will keep him occupied. If anyone was going to quit from music and really mean it, I get the feeling Patrick Wolf would be the one.

...and sure enough, Wolf categorically denies quitting rumour: http://www.nme.com/news/patrick-wolf/27983

Sample quote, ''For me to say I was going to quit music is like saying I'm going to commit suicide,"

told ya so...
sarkybarker
Status Quo have named their next tour....

THE QUEST FOR THE FOURTH CHORD!

If they hadn't blagged it for forty years i would almost find it funny.
Ade
Prince is to perform 7 nights (between August 1st - 14th) at 'The O2' in Greenwich. That'll be around/on my birthday! Yay!

It'll probably be sold out by the time I get tickets booked knowing my luck.
maian
Looks like both New Order and Larrikin Love have called it a day. New Order doesn't really surprise me since Hookey and Sumner never got on brilliantly at the best of times but Larrikin Love is a bit odd. Bands these days, eh, no stamina.
Ghost_862
QUOTE (Ade @ May 8 2007, 03:15 PM)
Prince is to perform 7 nights (between August 1st - 14th) at 'The O2' in Greenwich. That'll be around/on my birthday! Yay!

It'll probably be sold out by the time I get tickets booked knowing my luck.

Don't worry, there are another fourteen dates to be announced, all in London as well. And they will be at smaller venues, his website says.

I MUST get tickets. I will have seen my 'three to see'.

Seen Mister Jackson.
Seen Mister Brown.
Now it's down to Mister Nelson to complete the three.

But yea, if you miss out on the O2 then there is still hope for those other fourteen shows, wherever and whenever they turn out to be.

It says he's playing smaller venues to make seeing him 'affordable to everybody'. Although it also says on his site that all tickets will cost £31.21 so I don't see how smaller venues make him more affordable :S

£31.21 is pretty cheap for Prince. ESPECIALLY given that you get a copy of his new CD with every ticket.
Ade
QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ May 8 2007, 09:45 PM)
£31.21 is pretty cheap for Prince. ESPECIALLY given that you get a copy of his new CD with every ticket.

When you say 'new' CD, do you mean '3121'? That's over a year old already which, in Princeworld, is 'old news' already, and 'new' means another album is on the horizon as we speak.
Ghost_862
His website says 'brand new CD' so I'm guessing it's a new album smile.gif
Ade
Splendid.

So long as he's exercised some quality control*, it should be worth it.

* not always his strongest suit, granted.
Ghost_862
Yea, he's prolific but he's not too consistent. There are usually one or two stand out tracks on every album but the rest is kind of 'meh'.

The real draw for me is Prince's live performance. He's up there with the most dynamic performers of all time. His splits days might be behind him now but I'm sure he'll still put on a phenomenal show.
Ade
Aye, agreed, on both points sir.

Been nine years since I last saw His Royal Squiggleness in concert - this will be my third Princely outing if it happens. I'm ultimately hoping to snaffle tickets at the O2 for me and my brother though, since one of the allotted nights is on my birthday. Fingers crossed!
Ghost_862
I didn't realise how massive the arena was. I just hope I don't get stuck at the back laugh.gif

I will probably try to get to one of the smaller venues too. Though I'm finding all this information rather contradictory now. It says on the O2 site '21 Nights in London at the O2'.

But Prince said he's playing 21 dates and a load of them will be at smaller venues.

Unless he does 21 dates at the O2 then a load of extra smaller concerts on top?

This ambiguity is rather annoying.

I was considering going to the UK Music Hall Of Fame last year to see Prince but he didn't perform anyway. I wish I had gone, though, as it was Mister Brown's last performance.
Ade
QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ May 8 2007, 10:41 PM)
This ambiguity is rather annoying.

Hey, it's Prince. The artist whose name (for a time) was an androgyny. Ambiguity is to be expected. wink.gif
Ghost_862
Jaysus.

Only time I've ever been in a ticket scrum like that was when Michael Jackson was announced for the World Music Awards.

In less than five minutes the only seats left were upper tier. Drat. But at least I got some.
Wife Of Rolex
Too short notice, too far and and too busy working to attend unfortunately, but for anyone else who might be interested...

The Knife - Silent Shout - An Audiovisual Experience
International Film Premiere, Manchester, 11th May 2007

The Knife 'Silent Shout - An Audiovisual Experience’ receives it’s international film premiere at Manchester's Futuresonic Festival this weekend. The film, recorded at The Knife's Gothenburg concert in April 2006, features visuals by Andreas Nilsson and brings to life the full stunning audio/visual spectacle of one of the most cutting-edge live shows in the world. The Knife played only a handful of live shows last year and if you were not one of the lucky few to see the performance, this is the perfect chance to see what you missed. The premiere is free entry and takes place before Bugged Out! at Sankeys in Manchester.

Details of further screenings around the UK, including Glastonbury Festival in June, are to be announced shortly.

The Knife Silent Shout album has been hailed as a modern masterpiece, drawing comparisons with Bjork, Kraftwerk, and Aphex Twin, and winning the prestigious No.1 Album of The Year accolade from Pitchfork.

The film will be commercially released in the UK on July 2nd as part of a new 3-disc deluxe edition of the ‘Silent Shout’ album.

Manchester Premiere details
Date: 11/05/07
Time: 20.00 - 21.30

Venue:
Bugged Out!
Sankeys
Radium Street
Manchester
M4 6AY
0161 236 5444

Price - Free

www.theknife.net
www.silentshout.co.uk

Wife Of Rolex
SkipToTheEnd
wish i could go... maybe ill go to the glastonbury screening. ive been trying to get hold of the dvd, but couldnt find it in the shops. theres a scandinavian version that you can order off their website, but i havent got round to it...
Ghost_862
Any London dwellers, Prince is playing a surprise gig at KOKO, Camden TONIGHT!

Dunno how you get tickets. Might be worth going down there and checking it out.
Ghost_862
QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ May 10 2007, 08:19 AM)
Jaysus.

Only time I've ever been in a ticket scrum like that was when Michael Jackson was announced for the World Music Awards.

In less than five minutes the only seats left were upper tier. Drat. But at least I got some.

Ade, they're announcing new dates all day. I dunno why they're staggering it but some went onsale at 12.45 and I got a pair of really decent seats. Keep an eye on ticketmaster for more updates.

Also, as I said before, he played KOKO last night so keep an eye out for other surprise club gigs. I think tere are a few more going on.
Ade
QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ May 10 2007, 09:19 AM)
Jaysus.

How the hell did you manage that? They only went on sale this morning. Jammy get. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ May 11 2007, 01:10 PM)
Ade, they're announcing new dates all day. I dunno why they're staggering it but some went onsale at 12.45 and I got a pair of really decent seats. Keep an eye on ticketmaster for more updates.

Also, as I said before, he played KOKO last night so keep an eye out for other surprise club gigs. I think tere are a few more going on.

Cheers, yeah - my brother has already booked a couple of tickets for September.
Sostie
Any Pink Floyd fans about?

A friend at work went to the Syd Barratt tribute concert at the Barbican last night.

It featured the likes of Martha Wainwright, Damon Albarn & Chrissie Hynde.

Midway Roger Waters performed a song. Then, at the end, the remaining Floyd members closed the show...minus Waters. He was also absent from the group bow by everyone that appeared at the end. Looks like the reform will never happen!
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Sostie @ May 11 2007, 01:42 PM)
Any Pink Floyd fans about?

Yup.

And no, I don't think it will. Sadly.
Ghost_862
QUOTE (Ade @ May 11 2007, 12:31 PM)
How the hell did you manage that? They only went on sale this morning. Jammy get.  tongue.gif

O2 presale smile.gif

Did you get decent seats for the September gig? My August tickets, the presale ones, are slightly naff seats though if the description - live in the round, every seat is a great seat' - is accurate then I should be alright. I have a side view but I'm in the higher tier.

The regular ones are much better. Lower tier, eight rows back directly in front of the stage.
Ade
QUOTE (Ghost_862 @ May 11 2007, 03:05 PM)
O2 presale smile.gif

Did you get decent seats for the September gig? My August tickets, the presale ones, are slightly naff seats though if the description - live in the round, every seat is a great seat' - is accurate then I should be alright. I have a side view but I'm in the higher tier.

The regular ones are much better. Lower tier, eight rows back directly in front of the stage.

No need to rub it in. biggrin.gif

Nah, my brother got tickets in the upper tier (again) for the September gig. Not to worry, it's a gig.
Ghost_862
Hopefully all the seats will be cool. It says 'every seat is a great seat'. Although I feel for those behind the stage, looking at Maceo's butt all evening.
Ade
*bump*

Bumped, appropriately enough by further Prince-related news....a Prince-related news article that I was frankly stunned to read:

Get Prince's New Album In The UK July 15 FREE Inside The Mail On Sunday

mellow.gif *poink!*

The article, at www.3121.com, goes on:

Prince's complete NEW album, Planet Earth, is being given away FREE inside The Mail on Sunday. In a sensational world first, the CD will not be available in shops, but ONLY free with The Mail on Sunday and to ticket holders at Prince's concerts.

Rock's greatest superstar has recorded 10 new amazing tracks and ALL will appear on the album inside The Mail on Sunday. The sleeve features exactly the same artwork that will be used on the retail version to be sold in other countries.

It is Prince who has made the groundbreaking decision personally to authorise The Mail on Sunday to give away this incredible CD as he believes in giving back his music to all his fans.

No one should miss this unique offer. Eagerly awaited by millions of Prince fans, Planet Earth is timed to coincide with Prince's 21-night series of concerts at London's O2 Arena. 15 sold out within an hour.

Certain to top the charts (Prince's last album, 3121, went straight to No 1) Planet Earth is a brilliant mix of driving rock and laidback soul.

Enjoy...

Good heavens.

With the rumoured 500+ songs he has in his vault, it's not like he's going to miss the potential revenue from their release via normal channels. But quite how it's supposed to "top the charts" when it's not available for sale in shops (or any other conventional means) eludes me, frankly. In 'other countries', sure, but not here in the U of K.

But I ain't complaining - free Prince album!
Kick in the Head
Damon Albarn composing Monkey: Journey to the West opera - could be something special indeed. If anything would get me to go to see opera it's kung-fu monkeys.
Sostie
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jul 5 2007, 09:28 AM)
Damon Albarn composing Monkey: Journey to the West opera - could be something special indeed. If anything would get me to go to see opera it's kung-fu monkeys.

It's the subject of the BBC arts programme Imagine, next week.

EDIT: apparentley it was on last night.
Starscream`s Ghost
Arctic Monkeys make Mercury list again
maian
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Jul 17 2007, 01:45 PM)

Although the prize has only been going for a few years they've yet to award anyone for it twice so I don't think they'll win. If they hadn't won last year I reckon they would be in with a chance but it seems more a case of them releasing a good album and getting recognition but not an award. Same goes for Dizzee Rascal who probably won't win, which is sort of a shame since his album is good but not a patch on his debut.

At this stage I think that Amy Winehouse or Klaxons will win it. Klaxons have a chance for releasing an interesting and strange album, but Winehouse will probably win because she's been quite popular and because it is a bloody good album.
Sostie
Bat For Lashes or Whinehouse for me.

Arctic Monkeys, Klaxons or The View didn't really do anything new (hypocritical seeing I favour Whinehouse) or special. as far as I can see.
maian
There was nothing new on Klaxons' albums but they did seem a bit fresh compared to a lot of stuff that has been coming out recently. As a sci-fi concept album it's not bad, either.
logger
This is the Mercury Prize, going by past cycles it should be someone left field and unexpected after last year.
maian
There aren't really that many left-field acts nominated, though. And even when a left-field act does win it's usually someone who are quite commercial sounding and are known of a bit (like with Antony and the Jonsons). Using that logic, I predict a victory for the Young Knives.
sarkybarker
Artics or Bat For Lashes for me although i really don't understand the Mercury awards. It's a selected bunch of suits choosing what they think is cool. Plus one folk album.

It's just a matter of taste. Me and my mates could put up 12 nominations. Our opinions would be just as subjective - or not as the case may be. Our choices woud be no less valid.

By the way, how many backhanders are going on? I'd exept backhanders so the suits definately would.
rabbit57i
How A Free Album Makes Millions
Kick in the Head
Bill Bailey to enter vote for UK Eurovision entry

Is this comedy or music news? Who cares? It's great news either way. The prayers of many a fan have been generously answered.

Can we just pick him to represent the UK now, rather than go through some tedious selection procedure?
Wife Of Rolex
That would be amazing.

Wife Of Rolex
Wife Of Rolex
For anyone interested...

Richard Hawley Day

The Cricket Inn, Sheffield

Sunday 26th August

To celebrate the release of Richard Hawley's new album Lady's Bridge (out this week) and the launch of Hawley Ale, The Cricket Inn (Penny Lane, Totley) in Sheffield will be named The Hawley Arms this bank holiday weekend and will be serving Hawley Ale from 11.30am on Sunday 26th August until last orders, alongside a BBQ for all punters.

Hawley Ale launches on 26th August as part of a weekend beer festival, this is the first time Hawley Ale is available to the public. Brewed at the
Thornbridge brewery, the new tipple is a classic English bitter with sweet
caramel and toffee flavours.

Hawley said "I've just started the Chet Atkins diet, fags and booze only.
So this has come at a perfect time. Thornbridge have brewed a beauty".

Music and entertainment will be provided throughout the day. Maybe from
the man himself...

Also appearing throughout the weekend will be DJs from The Dizzy Club on
the 25th and Nicola Farnham on the 27th.
Ade
Shed Seven back together for a one-off Greatest Hits winter tour!

It's time to burn this disco down. Cool.
sarkybarker
QUOTE (Ade @ Aug 29 2007, 10:48 PM)

What are The Killers going to do now? They've been ripping them off for two albums...
Ade
QUOTE (sarkybarker @ Aug 30 2007, 11:27 PM)
What are The Killers going to do now? They've been ripping them off for two albums...

Hmmm, I don't see the comparison, frankly. But then the Killers are pants, so.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.