Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: We'll be right back after these messages...
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36
Zoe
I'm a twat! I love to twat about!
maian
I can't help but think of her as Nicole Kindling now. It's just stuck in my head all the time now. It's too perfect a name not to stick. Huge Action is good, too.
Hobbes
They can never take our dreams

Oh why don't you just fuuuuuck off.
Sostie
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Nov 26 2008, 10:46 PM) *
Why do I buy this butter? Because I'm a fucking sell-out, that's why.

Why is he a sell-out? Because his outlook on life when he was 17 has changed in30 years

I think it's hilarious that a man who was beaten up by the public on an almost daily basis, with the backing of the national media, is now selling a household product on our screens.
Starscream`s Ghost
Because he's the one who kept going on about not wanting to play the media game when he was in the jungle a few years back, and is now doing exactly that. It bothers me not, but it's still a bit hypocritical.
melzilla
QUOTE (Sostie @ Dec 15 2008, 01:38 AM) *
Why is he a sell-out? Because his outlook on life when he was 17 has changed in30 years

I think it's hilarious that a man who was beaten up by the public on an almost daily basis, with the backing of the national media, is now selling a household product on our screens.

Indeed. I love the fact that the same media that thought he was almost single-handedly the major danger to our nation's future are now the same media who treat him a bit like an eccentric national treasure. (Aww) That's why the ad is funny. With the treatment Lydon got I think he's quite entitled to "sell out" or in other words, make some money.
Sostie
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Dec 15 2008, 01:44 AM) *
Because he's the one who kept going on about not wanting to play the media game when he was in the jungle a few years back, and is now doing exactly that. It bothers me not, but it's still a bit hypocritical.

I think it was of a case of not wanting to be told what to do by the show. I think John Lydon selling butter is in a way not playing the media game.

I just find it strange that people call him a sell-out (mainly by old punks who never grew up). Not liking the bloke is fine, "sell-out" is a bit rich. Can't the man make a living? Fuck knows the amount of times he was swindled and the way he was treated by the public and media, he's earned one.
Starscream`s Ghost
Not got a problem with him earning a living at all, I just preferred it when he was making nature shows, because he was bloody good at it.
Ade
QUOTE (Zoe @ Dec 15 2008, 01:25 AM) *
I'm a twat! I love to twat about!

Hee! I was thinking more along the lines of: I love to twaa.

Just for that added pretension.
Everlong
Ahhh, they seem to have calmed down with the ASDA adverts now.
Drifter
QUOTE (Everlong @ Dec 20 2008, 11:55 AM) *
Ahhh, they seem to have calmed down with the ASDA adverts now.

Just lulling you into a false sense of security
Atara
I get a bit annoyed at anyone calling anyone famous a 'sell out'
logger
I wish Jamie and Louise were my parents.
melzilla
I keep forgetting to mention an ad which may be the funniest thing on tv at the moment.
I've only seen it on Dave late at night. It's a Christmas themed text/chat line ad with 3 girls dressed in 'Santa' underwear (not that I know what Santa's underwear looks like.) It has an awful Christmas jingle and really bad dubbing of the girls singing along whilst terrible cheap graphics depict them snowboarding in their pants! It possibly is the worst advert ever and the girls couldn't look more embarrassed to be in it. If you haven't seen it try and catch it, it makes me laugh every time!

Ah ahh ahhh....I think I need a text!
sweetbutinsane
That Lockets advert annoys me so much. And it kind of scares me too.
Everlong
QUOTE (melzilla @ Dec 23 2008, 02:36 PM) *
I keep forgetting to mention an ad which may be the funniest thing on tv at the moment.
I've only seen it on Dave late at night. It's a Christmas themed text/chat line ad with 3 girls dressed in 'Santa' underwear (not that I know what Santa's underwear looks like.) It has an awful Christmas jingle and really bad dubbing of the girls singing along whilst terrible cheap graphics depict them snowboarding in their pants! It possibly is the worst advert ever and the girls couldn't look more embarrassed to be in it. If you haven't seen it try and catch it, it makes me laugh every time!

Haha, I've seen that, on Paramount Comedy I think. Silly stuff, can't believe they've even got a Christmas version of those ads
PrincessKate
I love those ads, its a running joke between me and my friends.
"Oh look, we've been awake so long we can be horny and desperate"
Drifter
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Dec 23 2008, 07:19 PM) *
That Lockets advert annoys me so much. And it kind of scares me too.

I can never figure out what that one word that gets screamed at you periodically - best bit, the sneezing Robin!
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Drifter @ Dec 24 2008, 11:46 AM) *
I can never figure out what that one word that gets screamed at you periodically - best bit, the sneezing Robin!

Same here. It's that whole screaming thing that annoys me/creeps me out. Sneezing robin is cute. happy.gif
gulfcoast_highwayman
That one that rips off the OK Go treadmill video, in particular the bald chap, gets right on my last nerve.
bigfatrich
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Dec 24 2008, 07:39 PM) *
That one that rips off the OK Go treadmill video, in particular the bald chap, gets right on my last nerve.

I like the music they use. Sounds 80s. Don't suppose anyone knows what it is as commercialbreaksandbeats.co.uk looks to have gone up the spout.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (bigfatrich @ Dec 24 2008, 07:56 PM) *
I like the music they use. Sounds 80s. Don't suppose anyone knows what it is as commercialbreaksandbeats.co.uk looks to have gone up the spout.

It's Blancmange - Living on the Ceiling.
Everlong
Ahh, was wondering what is.

"I'm so tall, I'M SO TALLLL...."
gulfcoast_highwayman
The late-night lonely sexy Santa girls seem to have all received space hoppers and lingerie for Xmas.
logger
The space hopper ones turn me gay.
Miss Shazam
QUOTE (melzilla @ Dec 23 2008, 02:36 PM) *

I couldn't stop laughing at it; the girls look unbelivebly awkard.
logger
The new Golf advert is too violent.
gulfcoast_highwayman
comparethemeerkat.com

A small bit of fun, well done to them for livening up an otherwise boring subject.

It's a touch annoying in that whenever we go to Spain, we always refer to the super maket next to our hotel as the Meerkat. Now people will think we are copying the ad, instead of just being annoying by our volition.
Drifter
QUOTE (logger @ Jan 1 2009, 09:55 PM) *
The new Golf advert is too violent.

I think its great
melzilla
I like the new Audi ad. (Cardboard car and silly song = win)
Bloomeeney
WHAT THE HELL IS IGGY POP DOING ADVERTISING CAR INSURANCE?????????????????????
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (melzilla @ Jan 3 2009, 08:02 PM) *

The song is Car Song by Woody Guthrie. I was ridiculously smug with myself for knowing it was Woody Guthrie on first viewing.

QUOTE (Bloomeeney @ Jan 5 2009, 01:06 PM) *

I know.

Surely it should be life insurance.
Sostie
Pablo The Drug Mule Dog...hope he get's his own show.
Drifter
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jan 5 2009, 01:17 PM) *
Pablo The Drug Mule Dog...hope he get's his own show.

As long as David continues the narration.

The new PG Tips and fat arse doing the Morecambe & Wise breakfast skit is a no no.

The whole Norwich Union is changing its name and paying Bruce Willis et al to tell you is a waste.
melzilla
QUOTE (Bloomeeney @ Jan 5 2009, 01:06 PM) *

THAT's why I had a dream about Iggy Pop last night! I just realised.

QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Jan 5 2009, 01:12 PM) *
The song is Car Song by Woody Guthrie. I was ridiculously smug with myself for knowing it was Woody Guthrie on first viewing.

Ta!

QUOTE (Drifter @ Jan 5 2009, 02:44 PM) *
As long as David continues the narration.

The new PG Tips and fat arse doing the Morecambe & Wise breakfast skit is a no no.

The whole Norwich Union is changing its name and paying Bruce Willis et al to tell you is a waste.

I quite like PG Tips ad. It makes me smile.

Norwich Union one is terrible, though.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (melzilla @ Jan 3 2009, 08:02 PM) *

I like the images, but the song is beyond annoying.

I feel the need to commit nasty murder whenever the Shredded Wheat ad is on. I know it's only made of wheat. I don't need a collection of daft bints telling me so.
Sostie
Liking the he new Virgin Atlantic ad. So much 80's nostalgia in one ad. Though I can't listen to Frankie's "Relax" now without Tiki Bar flashbacks.
Rua
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jan 6 2009, 02:53 PM) *
So much 80's nostalgia in one ad.

That'll be why I'm not enjoying it so much.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Rua @ Jan 6 2009, 03:44 PM) *
That'll be why I'm not enjoying it so much.

C'mon, who doesn't have fond memories of 'Our Price' stores?
Rua
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jan 6 2009, 04:10 PM) *

I give you Our Price stores. I did smile at that. It's true.
Sostie
QUOTE (Rua @ Jan 6 2009, 04:35 PM) *
I give you Our Price stores. I did smile at that. It's true.

And Wimpy. Where else could you get a Knickerbocker Glory or a doughnut with a blob of ice cream on it (a brown derby I do believe)
Rua
Was never that keen on Wimpy & I don't like Knickerbocker Glorys. I used to have to make them when I was a waiter, horrid things.

I'm just sick of the 80's. I was sick of the 80's during the 80's & I can only really remember half of it properly.
It's also sad that the 00's have no distiguishable identity of their own apart from nostalgia. It's a poor refelection on current generations & we should all just curl into a giant ball & crawl back into one giant womb.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jan 6 2009, 04:37 PM) *
And Wimpy. Where else could you get a Knickerbocker Glory or a doughnut with a blob of ice cream on it (a brown derby I do believe)

A brown derby? That sounds like a weekend at your house.

Wasn't it strange how Wimpy prided themselves on "real plates and cutlery"? You sell burgers and chips!
PrincessKate
What is Blimpy to Wimp? Is it the sausage-based offshoot?
I saw one in either Newcastle or Middlesbrough once.

A quick google reveals it to not actually exist, maybe I was hallucinating.

There's an advert on TV currently which I do really like but right now I can't remember what its for, what the theme is or why I even like it.
I'll be back.
Zoe
QUOTE (Rua @ Jan 6 2009, 04:44 PM) *
It's also sad that the 00's have no distiguishable identity of their own apart from nostalgia. It's a poor refelection on current generations & we should all just curl into a giant ball & crawl back into one giant womb.

I like to think that we were responsible for the nineties.

It's the young'uns that fucked up the noughties.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Back in the 80's, Wimpy opened their 50th ever UK restaurant in Leeds and it coincided with my Grandparents' 50th Wedding anniversary.

As a promotional thing, they threw a big free party for all the grandkids in the restaurant and ferried my grandparents back and forth in a gold Rolls Royce for the day. The Wimpy is now a Macdonalds.
logger
we should all just curl into a giant ball & crawl back into one giant womb.

Only if I can take a load of air hostesses with me.
maian
I'm just sick of the 80's. I was sick of the 80's during the 80's & I can only really remember half of it properly.

Could it not be argued that the identity of the noughties is the result of the end of any form of optimism that lingered at the end of the last century? That with a paranoid world dominated by a utilitarian superpower roaming free and a media that wants us all to shit ourselves twelve times before breakfast, the idea of familiarity and kitsch is an appropriate response for most people? It's not the response of everyone, I personally have a lot of disdain for the 80s, and even aspects of the 90s and most of the 00s (I'm disdainful, really) but it's not exactly the fault of 'current generations' that everyone has donned some massive rose-tinted glasses.

I'd say that the nostalgia thing has died off somewhat recently, it's certainly not anywhere near the level it was three or four years ago, and I imagine that the next decade will probably be more forcefully shaped, culture wise, in the same way (and I hate writing this because the historian in me knows that it's a logical fallacy that makes me sound incredibly twattish) that the late 1940s had no real sort of cultural identity to it other than that which had exsited prior to the war but which was replaced by more prominent cultural movements and identities in the 50s.

The profliferation of forms of media and a move away from mass movements is probably responsible for it as well. If nothing else, the noughties will be remembered as tumultuous and divergent.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jan 6 2009, 04:10 PM) *

I seem to remember people calling it 'Our Pricey'.
Rua
QUOTE (maian @ Jan 6 2009, 09:22 PM) *
I'd say that the nostalgia thing has died off somewhat recently.

Dude, it's 2009. The decade is over next year.

Ed, I'm no historian but I'd say almost every generation has it's reason to don rose-tinted glasses of some persuasion. I don't think anything has happened in the last nine years in contrast to the last hundred of such magnitude that should have caused a response of such babyish & mass regressive behaviour. It's not just the nostalgia thing that bothers me but the increase of child like behaviour that seems to go hand in hand with it. I'm interested though, has anything like this happened before?

Obviously the media & the recent past have an effect on the present but the people of the era have to take responsibility for what they have produced, they certainly like to take credit for what they have in the past.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.