Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: THE CURE vs ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Music
Sostie
Today we decide who we like best out of the two main 80s gloomy indie pop purveyors

THE CURE
Wonky lipstick wearing Southerners. Made songs about cats, caterpillars, cockatoos & dogs. Oh and love, loneliness and all that kind of stuff. Gone through a number of line-up changes, made lots of albums and were rather popular in the US of A.

ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN
Long coat wearing Northerners. Made songs about crocodiles, monkeys, horses & porcupines. Oh and love, loneliness and all that kind of stuff. Gone through a number of line-up changes, made lots of albums and were rather popular in the US of A.
Zoe
I voted for The Cure.

More pressingly I think you should proof read your post Sostie, I don't want to have to get by red pen out.
thirtyhelens
Actually, I think you'll find that The Cure were/are far more popular in the US of A.

I voted for McCulloch and Co., though.
Jessopjessopjessop
I think he has sticky keys by the looks of 'im.
Sostie
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 2 2007, 08:49 PM)
More pressingly I think you should proof read your post Sostie, I don't want to have to get by red pen out.

Sorry boss. I think it's sorted. Wont do it again.

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Apr 2 2007, 08:52 PM)
I think he has sticky keys by the looks of 'im.

Only gets like that when you log on. You make me sticky.
mcraigclark
I went for Echo & the Bunnymen too.
Zoe
QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 2 2007, 09:55 PM)
Sorry boss. I think it's sorted.  Wont do it again.
Only gets like that when you log on. You make me sticky.

In correcting it you've made a whole new typo. You're so reckless, I love it.

*coughs* loneilness *coughs*
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Apr 2 2007, 09:59 PM)
I went for Echo & the Bunnymen too.

And me.
Sostie
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 2 2007, 09:09 PM)
In correcting it you've made a whole new typo. You're so reckless, I love it.

*coughs* loneilness *coughs*

Okay. I admit I'm shit. If it was anyone else I'd ignore it out of spite. However, my need to make you happy is stronger.
Zoe
QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 2 2007, 10:12 PM)
Okay.  I admit I'm shit.  If it was anyone else I'd ignore it out of spite. However, my need to make you happy is stronger.

It's like a compulsion, I'd stop if I could.

Thanks.
Sostie
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 2 2007, 09:13 PM)
It's like a compulsion, I'd stop if I could.

Thanks.

laugh.gif I still spelt it wrong. Quick, before she notices.
Zoe
You're doing it on purpose now aren't you?

You scamp.
AusChick
I'm sure Echo & crew have far more cred but I voted for The Cure.
They were the soundtrack to my sulky teen years.
Happy times.....
Heff
Is it true that the eponymous Echo is actually a keyboard?
logger
Both older sister miserable shite. This same problem also accounts for my late appreciation of the Smiths. But as for Echo/Cure, apart from odd tracks, still pretty much leave me cold.
curtinparloe
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 2 2007, 09:49 PM)

I...um...hope your cold gets better, Zoe. huh.gif

I went for Echo and the Bunnymen, on behalf of my friend who really likes them, whereas I just think that both are fine.
Omniscia
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 2 2007, 04:49 PM)
I voted for The Cure.

What's that they say about people in glass houses..?
curtinparloe
Is there an echo in here? wink.gif
Zoe
To have my typos pointed out twice is all I deserve.

Perhaps we could organise some kind of forum proof reading circle? Pass our posts around to check for mistakes?

No? Oh well.
Serafina_Pekkala
Don't mind the Bunnymen but I went for the Cure because i just like them that extra bit more.

Sefi x
Sostie
I was big enough not to mention Zoe's typo.

Oh, and it would have been very hypocritical of me.
AusChick
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 3 2007, 10:00 AM)
Perhaps we could organise some kind of forum proof reading circle? Pass our posts around to check for mistakes?

No? Oh well.

Is it wrong that I was really liking the sound of that?
curtinparloe
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 3 2007, 11:00 AM)
To have my typos pointed out twice is all I deserve.

No? Oh well.

The diamond is more beautiful when it has tiny flaws. the famous Star Of The East diamond is noted for its insistence on correcting long division.
Zoe
I just glanced at the title of this thread and read it as 'The Curse of Echo and the Bunnymen', which sounds like a great film.
rebelstar
QUOTE (Heff @ Apr 2 2007, 11:18 PM)
Is it true that the eponymous Echo is actually a keyboard?

It was supposedly their drum machine although, apparently, that story is untrue. I voted for The Cure.

What an exciting post.
Zoe
QUOTE (rebelstar @ Apr 3 2007, 04:19 PM)
What an exciting post.

It's all relative.
rebelstar
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 3 2007, 04:27 PM)
It's all relative.

Indeed. Doktor Avalanche was a real drum machine, though.
Zoe
A relevant fact puts you pretty high on the leader board.
rebelstar
Isn't that a bad thing?
Jon 79
Has to be the Cure. I'm not the biggest fan, but I really like their sound. 'specially from the mid 80's.
Also, I don't think I could name one Echo & the Bunnymen song! (I really should know some though)
Ade
I'm not a great fan of either band, but I won't write them off to 'Both Miseryshite'. I do like the odd song here and there, and The Cure just wins out. Love Cats is all kinds of ace.

QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 3 2007, 11:00 AM)
Nah. I don't think this place would be quite the same without you shaming us out of bad spellage, Zoe. Or shaming us into even worse.

QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 3 2007, 12:36 PM)
I just glanced at the title of this thread and read it as 'The Curse of Echo and the Bunnymen', which sounds like a great film.
Maybe the thread should have been titled The Curse of Typo and the Funnyman.

Fnar. Fnar.
Heff
QUOTE (Ade @ Apr 4 2007, 04:15 AM)
I'm not a great fan of either band, but I won't write them off to 'Both Miseryshite'. I do like the odd song here and there, and The Cure just wins out. Love Cats is all kinds of ace.
Nah. I don't think this place would be quite the same without you shaming us out of bad spellage, Zoe. Or shaming us into even worse.
Maybe the thread should have been titled The Curse of Typo and the Funnyman.

Fnar. Fnar.

Ha ha! Pun for the hills!
AusChick
rolleyes.gif
Somebody make them stop!
Kick in the Head
Don't know enough about either to make an educated guess, so I made an uneducated one and picked The Cure.

Saw Echo and the Bunnymen live at Glastonbury and thought they were okay, but to be honest, I know them most from "The Killing Moon" being in Donnie Darko and Rik sending a letter to them in The Young Ones.

As for The Cure, mainly Robert Smith's appearance in South Park, "Burn" on The Crow soundtrack, "Close to Me" from The Smoking Room theme tune, and a couple of music videos that pop up on 80s-centric music countdown shows. But they get my vote, mainly because "Friday I'm in Love" was my favourite song when I was 7.

God, do you remember when those Top 10 music countdown shows on Channel 4 were actually good and worth watching? When the idents and intervals had some guy cleaning a diner and rocking out to the jukebox with his broom...
Blind I/O
I can't answer who I like best. It depends what mood I'm in. I voted for The Cure, because they're sort of my favourite band.
Atara
The Cure for me
Ohio_is_for_lovers
The Cure, i just prefer them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.