Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New film written by jessica - "Learners"
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > Spaced: Above and Beyond > Cast Watch
Pages: 1, 2
Brendon Connelly
I've posted a new item about Jessica's upcoming film Learners to my film & tv news site, film ick:

LEARNERS - read all about it

It sounds pretty tasty to me, and the casting of David Tennant as her love interest will certainly draw in a lot of folk too.

Now... anybody round here think they can get their hands on a copy of the script?
Jon 79
QUOTE (Brendon Connelly @ Apr 3 2007, 05:34 PM)
I've posted a new item about Jessica's upcoming film Learners to my film & tv news site, film ick:

LEARNERS - read all about it

It sounds pretty tasty to me, and the casting of David Tennant as her love interest will certainly draw in a lot of folk too.

Now... anybody round here think they can get their hands on a copy of the script?

Jessica Hynes?!!

When did this happen?
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Apr 3 2007, 09:47 AM)
Jessica Hynes?!!

When did this happen?

Very recently. Well, not her marriage, but her name change.

http://www.jessicahynes.co.uk
sarkybarker
Something to look foward to then but...Hynes...that makes her sound married now!

Ok, so i didn't have a chance before but it's all so final...*sob sad.gif tongue.gif *
AusChick
If I were writing a film I'd cast David Tennant as my love interest too wink.gif
dolfyn
QUOTE (AusChick @ Apr 4 2007, 08:20 AM)
If I were writing a film I'd cast David Tennant as my love interest too  wink.gif

Yeah, me too. happy.gif Although, he'd be my second choice after Simon Pegg. hehee! wink.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (dolfyn @ Apr 3 2007, 11:40 PM)
Yeah, me too.  happy.gif  Although, he'd be my second choice after Simon Pegg. hehee!  wink.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif

It'd be your film. You could have them fighting over you Firth/Grant style.
AusChick
Glenn, have you been reading my thoughts again?
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (AusChick @ Apr 3 2007, 11:43 PM)
Glenn, have you been reading my thoughts again?

You didn't say that I couldn't.
AusChick
I guess it's OK - but not between 11-12. That's Sarah's time!
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (AusChick @ Apr 3 2007, 11:48 PM)
I guess it's OK - but not between 11-12.  That's Sarah's time!

AM or PM? Remember, I have to account for time difference.
AusChick
Both!
One hour a day, twice a day.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (AusChick @ Apr 3 2007, 11:52 PM)
Both!
One hour a day, twice a day.

Noted. biggrin.gif
AusChick
Very good.
And if I find you wandering round my mind during those times there will be trouble mad.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
Hey, I know my limits.

Angry Aussie women can be quite scary.
AusChick
Damn straight! Don't you forget it!

*edit* Oh poop I've gone completely off topic again.
It's a disease you know.
dolfyn
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 4 2007, 08:42 AM)
It'd be your film. You could have them fighting over you Firth/Grant style.

Ooohh, now that's a great idea! biggrin.gif

AUSSIE WOMEN AREN'T SCARY!!!! GRRRRRRR! mad.gif
Nah, just kidding. We really are. tongue.gif hehee.

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
happy.gif
AusChick
We try to be anyway
Rebus
I second this.
coolasacucumber
ooooh i cant wait for this match made in heaven!

its cant help but be goooooooood!
CazBag
David Tennant was on Parki at the weekend and mentioned this. Didn't say when it was going to be out though unfortunately.
Zoe
It's post-production now and expected to air in August on BBC One.

BBC Press Release

David Tennant is to star in Learners, a BBC Films production for BBC One, which is written by, and will also star Jessica Hynes (nee Stevenson).
This warm, bitter–sweet comedy drama, follows the trials and tribulations of a group of learner drivers.
Bev (Jessica Hynes, Spaced) is a downtrodden wife who's failed her driving test eight times. She's desperate to pass yet frustrated at her husband Ian's (Shaun Dingwall, Doctor Who) impatient approach when teaching her to drive.
When Bev meets glamorous driving school owner Fiona (Sarah Hadland, Confetti), she's determined to succeed, along with a group of other learner drivers.
Chris (David Tennant, Doctor Who), a devout Christian with the patience of a saint, is assigned as her instructor and it's not long before Bev develops a crush on him. However, Chris has feelings for Fiona, but she's having an affair with a married man Gerry, who works with Bev.
Jessica comments: "It took me ten years to pass my test – this year I finally did it so I could do the film! I had a great instructor, he taught me to take my time and relax, when I passed I cried with joy!"
Producer Ruth Caleb, Director Francesca Joseph, Jessica Hynes, Shaun Dingwall and Executive Producer David Thompson are reunited on Learners following their collaboration on Tomorrow La Scala, which scooped the award for best drama at the 2003 Indie Awards.
Jessica also received RTS, Bafta and Lawrence Olivier Award nominations for Best Actress.
Learners will start filming in April 2007 on location in Hertfordshire and will transmit later this year.
The Executive Producer is David Thompson, the Producers are Ruth Caleb (Born Equal, Bullet Boy) and Luke Alkin (Dirty War, The Allotment), and the Director is Francesca Joseph (Tomorrow La Scala!, Four Last Songs). Learners was commissioned by Jane Tranter, Controller, BBC Fiction for BBC One.
CazBag

Hopefully not long now before this is aired. Still no date, but at least we now have a picture!
Starscream`s Ghost
I can feel the girls of this forum getting jealous already.
mousespider
I find it funny that Tennant is supposed to be playing a devout Christian, and in the picture he looks like Ned Flanders without a mustache.
dolfyn
QUOTE (mousespider @ Jul 22 2007, 03:49 AM)
I find it funny that Tennant is supposed to be playing a devout Christian, and in the picture he looks like Ned Flanders without a mustache.

Yeah, that annoys me. I know lots of cool Christians, & they certainly don't get around looking like that! Plus, it's just a crime to dork-up David Tennant. rolleyes.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif
CazBag
According to Amazon, you can get this on DVD as of 24th September. Still no air date as to when it will be on the BBC though. Must be soon, surely.
Raven
There is a brief mention of Learners in the Radio Times autumn preview this week.

Along with the above picture, is the following text:

Learners BBC1
What's it about?
Jessica Hynes (née Stevenson of Spaced fame) wrote and stars in this smart, one-off comedy drama about a group of struggling learner drivers. Think Driving School with a script.
Why watch it?
David Tennant - whom Hynes met on the set of Doctor Who and persuaded to take the role - plays her geeky, devout-Christian driving instructor.
CazBag
The DVD release date has been moved to 5th November. Still no date when this will be on the beeb.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (CazBag @ Aug 28 2007, 03:19 PM)
The DVD release date has been moved to 5th November.  Still no date when this will be on the beeb.

Probably just after the DVD release if they take the Hyperdrive route.
CazBag
Taken from the GMTV website. Another thing to watch tomorrow:

8.35-9.25am  Entertainment Today

Jenni Falconer and Ben Shephard with a blend of showbiz guests and live performances

We visit the set of Learners staring David Tennant and Jessica Hynes
dolfyn
^ Oooh! YouTube? *looks hopeful* smile.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
happy.gif
Mrs Watt
Im with Dolfyn on this one biggrin.gif
Zoe
One off comedy drama 'Learners' (written by and starring Jess) will air on BBC1 on the 11th of November at 9pm.

Raven
Great, the same time as The Long Way Down and Smallville!
Mrs Bisley
QUOTE (Zoe @ Oct 29 2007, 12:46 PM)

laugh.gif
Pretty_In_Pink
Can't wait, looks fab smile.gif
Wife Of Rolex
Jess is on TV tonight.

Strictly Come Dancing: It Takes Two on BBC2 @ 6:30pm.
Comedy Dave
Jess has just been on BBC Breakfast talking about the new comedy series and her Doctor Who & Royale Family roles biggrin.gif she looks quite different and seems rather well smile.gif

Spaced is being made in America! (this must be the Fox thread in Spaced section)..she may get a cameo tongue.gif
curtinparloe
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Nov 6 2007, 01:57 PM)
Jess is on TV tonight.

Strictly Come Dancing: It Takes Two on BBC2 @ 6:30pm.

Mel and I saw that. She was great!
Wife Of Rolex
Jess is on This Morning in a bit.
Pretty_In_Pink
I've noticed Jess in loads of mags promoting Learners, been cool interviews too smile.gif
Kimmerv2
Tennant: Jessica is inspirational

http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displ...&pNodeId=191800

David Tennant has confessed that the main reason he accepted his latest role was so he would have another chance to work with Jessica Hynes.

David and Jessica worked together on last year's Doctor Who Christmas special, and the Scottish star readily admits he was thrilled when the part of Chris in Learners came up.

"Jessica was on Doctor Who and she told me she had this thing coming up," he explained.

"I asked her if there was anything for me, and she thought I was joking, which I wasn't. So I kept asking and she told me there might be, and that was it."

In the upcoming BBC drama the pair play a driving instructor and a downtrodden housewife. Romance soon blossoms during her lessons.

And David has nothing but praise for Confetti star Jessica.

"She's one of those actors who is so in the moment each time, in every scene, that she never fails to inspire you," he raved.

"I've always been a fan of Jessica and when I worked with her, I became even more of a fan."

Learners is set to air on BBC One on November 11.

She's driven to succeed
Ben Falk
9/11/2007

FORGET Robert De Niro piling on the pounds to play the lead in Raging Bull, Jessica Hynes had to endure the most gruelling method preparation ever for her latest role - she had to pass her driving test.

Easy peasy you might think, but for the actress - formerly known as Jessica Stevenson - ditching her L-plates has been a 10-year, three-test struggle.

"I lacked the confidence," she says, "I just didn't think I was able to do it."

Luckily, the pressure of getting her film Learners (Sunday, BBC1, 9pm) off the ground proved to be the perfect carrot - especially when the BBC told Jessica, who wrote the driving school drama, that without a licence, they wouldn't be able to insure her to star.

More of the article here:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ent...iven_to_succeed
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Kimmerv2 @ Nov 11 2007, 04:59 AM)
David and Jessica worked together on last year's Doctor Who Christmas special, and the Scottish star readily admits he was thrilled when the part of Chris in Learners came up.

Jessica did a great impression of Cathrine Tate.
Pretty_In_Pink
Yay it's tonight, can't wait smile.gif
sofa
It does look rather funny, Contender grand final on other channel. Will record learners me thinks and enjoy later
Pretty_In_Pink
It was good biggrin.gif
Mrs Bisley
I really enjoyed it.

I'm too sleepy to add any detail to that, but I enjoyed it.
Mrs Watt
I thought it was really good.
Right at the end when she is driving cracked me up cause that what I do!
Jessopjessopjessop
Loved it. Warm, well observed, well-performed, tightly plotted, funny and moving. More please Jessica!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.