Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doctor Who III
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
Raven
And so it continues . . .
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 9 2007, 02:54 PM)
And so it continues . . .

Well, here we go again.
Raven

Ta-da!

(for all you Martha fans out there . . .).
Zoe
The cut of those jeans is so late-nineties
Anni
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 10 2007, 11:21 AM)

I thought those EXACT words.

They should be a lot less flare-y.
tigerlily
Nah, they balance out her bum.

Of course, she should go for wide-legs then she'd be bang up to date.
Shack
Nice to see William Shakespeare portrayed as a rock star on Saturday night. I wonder if he would have been bald at that age or not. Probably wouldn't have been as glamorous I suppose...

I like Freema's jeans. And I like the fact that in every episode so far she's had to get his heart going again using her trainee doctor skills.
tigerlily
Apparently:

Gridlock is the 727th episode of Doctor Who. This will break the
record held by the various Star Trek series, which have a total of 726
combined episodes between them. Doctor Who has been recognized by the
Guinness Book of World Records as the longest-running science fiction
series in the world, based on the original series' 26-year continuous
run and the 43+ years since the programme's 1963 debut.

Get it up ye Trek.
PrincessKate
The other night (Possibly Sunday, I can't quite remember) I was inducted into proper Who, via The Talons of Weng-Chiang, by a Vicky who doesn't really enjoy the new stuff, likening it to poorly-realised fanfiction mainly due to the way they insist on cramming stories into 45 minutes instead of letting them develop naturally over 4-6 weeks.
Anyway, rant over - this was a fine episode, with some lovely allusions - the Importance of being Earnest one made me very happy, in particular - and it was without the 'smug knowingness' that Charlie Brooker rightly pointed out is too prevalent in New Who.
Had I been watching it in 25 minutes incriments every week for 2 months I would probably have enjoyed it more, having time to analyse and appreciate it in the intervening days.

And I guessed about the Puppet not being all he seemed in the first five minutes which annoyed her a bit tongue.gif.
fatseff1234
Is the new series on Youtube perhaps? I miss them because of silly work.
Raven
QUOTE (tigerlily @ Apr 10 2007, 11:50 AM)
Apparently:

Gridlock is the 727th episode of Doctor Who. This will break the
record held by the various Star Trek series, which have a total of 726
combined episodes between them. Doctor Who has been recognized by the
Guinness Book of World Records as the longest-running science fiction
series in the world, based on the original series' 26-year continuous
run and the 43+ years since the programme's 1963 debut.

Get it up ye Trek.

I'll wager that somewhere there is a Trekkie working on a way to dispute the above (there are more minutes of Star Trek or more individual stories etc) tongue.gif

And talking of fans, it looks as though Doctor Who fans are working themselves into a bit of a lather because if the Manchester United vs. Watford game goes to extra time on Saturday, Doctor Who will be put off until the following week, in which case will there be a double bill because the Radio Times has a special cover planned for the following week and . . . oh, the agony!
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 10 2007, 01:43 PM)
And talking of fans, it looks as though Doctor Who fans are working themselves into a bit of a lather because if the Manchester United vs. Watford game goes to extra time on Saturday, Doctor Who will be put off until the following week, in which case will there be a double bill because the Radio Times has a special cover planned for the following week and . . . oh, the agony!

Can't see that match going to ET, to be fair.
Wife Of Rolex
Double bill? BBC3 will implode.

Wife Of Rolex
Raven
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 10 2007, 01:47 PM)
Can't see that match going to ET, to be fair.

No, neither can I, but it's the FA Cup and Watford are coming off the back of a 4-2 win - you can never say never with 100% confidence . . .
widowspider
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 10 2007, 12:21 AM)

Hey! All my jeans are like that! Nothing wrong with a flared jean. As tigerlily points out, they are the most flattering for her shape. She'd look nice in wide legs too, though.

I hate the current straight leg and tapered leg trend. Makes all women look fat and short. Ugh.
Zoe
Some of us manage that all on our own.
widowspider
I certainly need no help accentuating the shortness of my legs or the roundess of my bottom.

I love you, flared jeans. *hugs jeans to self*
AusChick
Don't mind a bit of a flared jean myself
(short big-bummed girls unite!)

Can I just say, the 57 Academics just punched the air line?
Pure genius.
laugh.gif
Anni
I am such a hypocrite. I'm wearing flared jeans almost identical to hers right now.

No matter what type of jeans I wear, my bum looks big and I still look short. Hurrah. tongue.gif And I bet I could beat all of you in the shortness factor.
Zoe
I apologise for steering us onto this tangent, I was merely being my facetious self.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (AusChick @ Apr 11 2007, 09:37 AM)
Can I just say, the 57 Academics just punched the air line?
Pure genius.
laugh.gif

I forgave the dodginess of the rest of the episode just for that line.

Wife Of Rolex
Drifter
So has anyone figured out what the Face of Boe's 4 words are that reveal the Doctors 'secret'? Apparently he is to reappear in Gridlock for the "third, and final time" - I hope its not a "I am your father" moment
NiteFall
I seem to recall from somewhere that it's You are not alone implying that other Time Lords survived the war. Although I can't remember where / when I saw this, so it may or may not be true.
Drifter
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Apr 13 2007, 12:46 AM)
I seem to recall from somewhere that it's You are not alone implying that other Time Lords survived the war. Although I can't remember where / when I saw this, so it may or may not be true.

Guess we'll find out tomorrow evening then!
AusChick
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Apr 11 2007, 02:22 PM)
I forgave the dodginess of the rest of the episode just for that line.
Wife Of Rolex
I think I missed most of the rest of the episode because I was laughing so much from that line!!
Raven
Watford 1 - Manchester United 4 on 90 minutes, looks like we're going to be spared the Nerd Riots of 2007!
sleeping_pirate
Meh, this one is nowhere near as good as last week's.
Atara
I didn't see last weeks but so far I am unimpressed by tonights.

Edit: Still unimpressed. Least we know what Bo had to say, even though we ALL knew it...Master
Zoe
This one had a solid science fiction story at its core, which sets it above last week's.

An endless motorway, the system running on automatic, a dystopian future - those are solid themes.

Crabs in the smog was unecessary, but I guess they felt they needed some immediate peril.

I have a real problem though, and that's because I'm losing patience with Martha. I've tried desperately to give her a chance, and she showed promise in week one, but she's failing to deliver for me. I really miss Rose, Martha's all gums and questions. I miss the Doctor and Rose's easy rapport and effortless relationship. The chemistry isn't working for me and I'm getting really frustrated with the Doctor having to explain everything to a new companion, blah blah blah last of my kind etc. There is nothing to her.

I wish he'd take her home so she could change into a better outfit.
Starscream`s Ghost
It was nice to see the Macra. I'd only ever heard them before.

For those who don't know who the Macra were/are, they're from a Patrick Troughton story. As the Doctor explained in this episode, they used humans as slaves, getting them to mine gas for them, creating utopias where the humans would be unthinking and docile.

I'd only ever heard the story on tape, as the Beeb had wiped the episode years ago.

Anyway. Tonight's episode was good, I preferred it to last weeks. It had a bit more depth to it, and few tying loose ends of New Earth. Plus, we now know that the Doctor's not alone. Although I'm being cautious about saying it's The Master who the other Time Lord could be. Although it does seem to be the most likely story.

And next week - Daleks. I especially like the line Why do they always survive, while I lose everything?

Because they were programmed to, Doctor. Davros did a very good job.
Zoe
I'm a bit worried about next week's mainly because of the accents in the trail.

They seem to be from the same part of New Yoik as Shack.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 14 2007, 08:48 PM)
I'm a bit worried about next week's mainly because of the accents in the trail.

They seem to be from the same part of New Yoik as Shack.

Yeah, they did seem to be a bit dodgy. Nevermind, the Daleks may do us a favour and exterminate the worst offenders.
Atara
I am also mildly unconvinced with Martha, I wasn't a fan of series 2 Rose, at all, but I didn't take into account how irritating having to watch a newbie be shown the ropes all over again.

I didn't like this one though, it was watchable enough but as soon as Tennant screamed "MAAARTHAAAAAA" I shuddered, it even sounds wrong

She has the potential to be better, much better and I hope she does. I fear I may have to eat my words about my series 2 Rose hatred. But then again it is not just Martha that is ruining it a little bit for me, that episode was pretty weak, I was completely bored, I just wanted to hear The Face say what he had to say, praying it was not as predictable as it ended up being.

"Dawkter get me some cawfeeeee" next week... oh Lord
Zoe
Martha annoyed me by being so gummily excited about seeing the sun, you see it everyday you loon.

Gums!
maian
I don't mind Martha but I do feel that the writers are taking too long to ease her into things with the whole ''just one trip'' idea, though the Doctor lying about his planet being destroyed was a nice touch and added to the more melancholic Doctor.

I rather liked this episode. More substance than last week with a decent idea behind it all, even if a lot of stuff in the episode was a bit frivolous and it suffered from RTD's typical inability to write dialogue. Otherwise, quite good.
Sostie
Dear BBC

Why, oh why, oh why, oh why do you continue to spend our licence fee money on "dramas" promoting sapphic pensioner relationships, beastiality and anti-crustacean sentiments
NiteFall
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Apr 14 2007, 08:45 PM)
And next week - Daleks. I especially like the line Why do they always survive, while I lose everything?

Because they were programmed to, Doctor. Davros did a very good job.

[pedant]
Bred to. Not programmed to. They're not robots after all, they're cyborgs.
[/pedant]

That and the Doctor and all his lot don't wander about in personal armour suits. That would probably have something to do with it as well.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Apr 15 2007, 01:29 AM)
[pedant]
Bred to. Not programmed to. They're not robots after all, they're cyborgs.
[/pedant]

Davros programmed the Daleks at the genetic level, removing their morality and compassion. It's even stated in Genesis of the Daleks. [/nerd]
NiteFall
i still think most of it is the armour though.
Starscream`s Ghost
Either that, or unimaginative script editors.
Raven
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 14 2007, 09:04 PM)
Martha annoyed me by being so gummily excited about seeing the sun, you see it everyday you loon.

Gums!

I'm guessing that seeing the sun may be a bit of an event after you've just survived a giant crab attack!

Does anyone else think we'll be seeing the Macra again later in the series? That looked a lot like set up too me . . .

It was okay, nothing amazing, nothing particularly bad either - a bit "Meh" I suppose.

I must admit I did sigh when Russell slotted in the "sapphic pensioners", for some reason it just smacked of being there for the sake of it rather than being there naturally.
Drifter
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 14 2007, 09:04 PM)

Gums!

Its the way she grins at everything which is oddly annoying, everytime she leaves the Tardis theres that massive grin
Zoe
Yeah, she's alllllllll gums.

The moronic grinning at the sunlight was just the tip of the gummy iceberg.

*Stop being mean about Martha, they'll just think you're bitter and irrational*

I've tried subconcious, I've tried!
Drifter
QUOTE (Zoe @ Apr 15 2007, 01:16 PM)
Yeah, she's alllllllll gums.

The moronic grinning at the sunlight was just the tip of the gummy iceberg.
*Stop being mean about Martha, they'll just think you're bitter and irrational*

I've tried subconcious, I've tried!

It should be retitled Doctor Who & His Gummy Sidekick Who Is Nowhere As Good The Brilliant Rose Tyler - somehow I dont see that happening, Im just not sold on her over the top exhuberance and THAT grinning malarky
Wife Of Rolex
I was half asleep last night so couldn't really pay the latest episode much attention. Visually I thought it was quite stunning for a UK TV production and I was rather touched by the singing, but otherwise it largely passed me by.

As yet, I'm neither convinced or unconvinced by Martha. The Doctor could do with a male companion to offset her character, divide her feelings or just have someone else to bounce off of. I know Captain Jack arrives at the end of the series and is like a part-time companion, but a regular male companion would be good. There was Adam in series 1 but he only lasted one episode as anything vaguely resembling a companion. A proper little Oliver Twist type could work.

Wife Of Rolex
Zoe
The kid from 'The Idiot's Lantern' was brilliant, I was very disappointed he didn't get invited along for the ride.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 15 2007, 12:19 PM)
I must admit I did sigh when Russell slotted in the "sapphic pensioners", for some reason it just smacked of being there for the sake of it rather than being there naturally.

Just another in a long line of 'generic gay characters' that RTD has to shoehorn in.

Russell mate, you're gay, we get it.
Raven
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Apr 15 2007, 01:55 PM)
. . . I was rather touched by the singing . . .

I didn't get that. It seemed to be significant, but I have no idea why.
Zoe
I didn't like it, but I feel that way about all hymns.

Unless it was supposed to be a commentary on religion keeping people trapped in a hopeless situation; unquestioning, docile and accepting of their fate. In that case I wholeheartedly agree.

I think it was meant to mean something far more naff though, something to do with hope. For me it gave the whole episode a slightly cloying pseudo-religious undertone, it even gave big face's secret a holy bent.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 15 2007, 03:57 PM)
I didn't get that.  It seemed to be significant, but I have no idea why.

That all the people in the traffic jam come together to sing a song of hope rather than stuck in a cycle of road rage. Well, I thought it was sweet.

I was only puzzled as to how they'd managed to be kept fed and watered while stuck in the jam for, what was it? 12 years? huh.gif I missed the first 10 minutes so probably missed any explanation, if there was one.

Wife Of Rolex
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.