Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So you've seen Hot Fuzz; details you noticed, like
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > Spaced: Above and Beyond > Hot Fuzz
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
dolfyn
So now that we've all seen the fantastic Hot Fuzz (hopefully more than once), what are the little details you noticed; especially the 2nd/3rd/etc time around? happy.gif

One thing I noticed was the little sound-effects punctuating certain camera shots throughout the movie.
*Like when Danny reacts to Nicholas saying he'd been stabbed before, you hear the cash register go off with a "ka-ching!"
*Or the exchange between Bill Bailey & Simon on Angel's first morning at work, you hear the phone ring in the background each time the camera's on Bill.
*And during the shoot-out; the fruit machine noises when Angel pops up from behind the table in the pub, & then the camera pans down from the animal trap hanging from the ceiling, to the pub owners crouching behind the bar. It sounds like an old computer game! laugh.gif

It's the attention to detail, & multi-layering, that makes us love the fine work of Pegg/Wright/Frost so much. wub.gif So, share the joy & amusement, people. biggrin.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif
Peronel
I loved the callback (one of many) to SotD:

"Want anything from the shop?"
"Cornetto."

teehee! I've only seen it once so far, but I'll be watching very closely next time for more stuff.
Jumpin Jack Flash
I've only seen it once...
CazBag
Great new thread there Dolfyn!

There are so many references and inside gags in Hot Fuzz it's pretty remarkable. I do love the way Simon and Edgar pack so much in that you notice something new every time you watch their stuff. With Hot Fuzz it's no exception. I've seen it 5 times and every time I've spotted something new.

During the debate of whether there's just one killer or 2, on the shop window there's a KILLERS sign. I love the way the characters predict their own demise too, and are named after what they do.

On IMDB there's a movie connections page.
dolfyn
QUOTE (CazBag @ Apr 27 2007, 11:38 PM)
Great new thread there Dolfyn!

Thanx, luv. wink.gif I was hoping someone would like it! rolleyes.gif

I got the idea after, yet again, discussing the intricate details of the movie with AusChick. I thought it'd be a good one to share with the group. biggrin.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
happy.gif
frostitute
Before the helicopter flies over their heads I think they recreate the scene from Shaun in the basement.

"I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything at all."

Something like that.
Mayonnaise
I think it was ..

"I feel like I should say something smart"

"You don't have to say anything at all"

smile.gif
CazBag
QUOTE (dolfyn @ Apr 27 2007, 01:56 PM)
I got the idea after, yet again, discussing the intricate details of the movie with AusChick. I thought it'd be a good one to share with the group.  biggrin.gif

Definitely a good idea. Well overdue I reckon! biggrin.gif
dolfyn
QUOTE (CazBag @ Apr 28 2007, 02:44 AM)
Definitely a good idea.  Well overdue I reckon!  biggrin.gif

Well, I wanted to wait for a bit until after it reached the US so we wouldn't have to worry about spoilers. smile.gif

One of the set-ups I love is when Nicholas & Danny are at the church fete shooting range, & the doctor pre-empts the end of the movie when he's talking about the prizes....

"Take out all the little people, & you get to waltz away with the cuddly monkey."

Angel does take out all the little people of the N.W.A. & waltzes away with Danny! laugh.gif So clever! cool.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
happy.gif
Anni
Wow.

..You are so much more observant than me. I got like none of that.
dolfyn
QUOTE (Anni @ Apr 28 2007, 11:15 AM)
Wow.
..You are so much more observant than me. I got like none of that.

Well, I have seen it 8 times! blush.gif I know, I have no life! rolleyes.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wink.gif
AusChick
Hehehe well I guess seeing 6 times means I may only have a very small fraction of a life!

Even though I was part of the conversation that inspired this thread I seem to have gone all blank and can't think of anything now!

The only thing which comes to mind (and which I didn't notice until about the 3rd time I saw the film) was when they introduce Kevin Eldon's character and he's siting in front of the WhiteBoard and all the things written on the board look like they are pointed at him "always late", "Unreliable" all that stuff.
Wife Of Rolex
Things I noticed were...

When Angel goes to talk to Janine at a crime scene he notices the window was broken from the inside. This parallels with what's going on in Sandford...the murders are being committed from within.

The hotel Angel stays at is The Swan and has a swan ornament opposite his room door. His room is The Castle Suite and it's at the castle Angel confronts the NWA.

Bloody Mary is written on the black board in the pub just behind Roy Porter's head when Angel orders a Cranberry Juice.

When Angel goes jogging we see Joyce Cooper going up a ladder to water a hanging basket, the same hanging basket that Angel later shoots down to knock her out with.

The Twins are seen driving their recovery vehicle for their service 'TOTAL BREAKDOWN' which is what Angel has later.

At the NWA meeting, Leslie Tiller makes up a flower arrangment to welcome Angel in the style of a wreath, which fortells her own death.

When Angel first confronts Pete in Somerfields a packet of Jaffacakes in clearly in view next to Pete's head.

The seamine is supposedly deactivated - like the gun at The Winchester in SotD, but it turns out to very active...like the gun at the Winchester in SotD.

In the pub Butterman says, 'Yeeeah Roooooy!', a reference to Ed saying, 'Yeeeah boooooy!' in SotD.

When Angel and Butterman go into the newsagents to buy a Cornetto, Annette Roper says, 'No luck catching them swans, then?' To which Butterman replys, 'It's just the one swan actually.' This turn of phrase later kicks Angel's mind into gear when she says, 'No luck finding them killers, then?' and Butterman responds with, 'It's just the one killer actually.'

When the Met chiefs try to convince Angel to return to London he says, 'I kind of like it here,' the same line he says at the start when he's trying to convince them not to send him away from London.

Butterman jumping and taking the bullet for Angel and Angel screaming, 'Noooooo!!' references the paintball episode of Spaced.

I can't remember anymore.

Wife Of Rolex
Alienlint
That damn hedgehog or whatever it was!

No one believes me when I talk about it but it was in the movie at least twice. It was in the riot room and crawling around the debris after the station blew up.

If someone in the UK could get a screenshot when the DvD comes out over there, that'd be great. Everyone wants physical proof, but being American, our version probably won't come out for a long time.
R3Dl2ULZ
i noticed it both times i saw the movie. i thought it was so obvious. in the riot room its to emphasise how unused the gear is. and then in the rubble cause thats what Simon and Edgar do.

plus one of my favourite little things is the copy of Shaun of the Dead in the mega bargain bin at the supermarket with all the cheesy action movies noone has heard of before.
AusChick
^ I thought it was Shaun of the Dead too but it's actually Zombies Party (just to be pedantic)
R3Dl2ULZ
really? aww sad.gif. the case looks just like that of SotD.
AusChick
The case is exactly the same. It's just the overseas version/name for SOTD
Heff
When Angel arcs up at the petrol station, it's because he sees 'Bad Boys II' and 'Point Break' for sale. But there are a shirtload more action titles surrounding them - I definitely remember 'Sudden Impact', but the others slip my mind.

The Swear Box - every swear word has been 'censored' with punctuation replacing letters, except the most offensive one.

You see Andy Cartwright (Rafe Spall) snigger when Angel says 'skidmarks' - and you hear him in the background everytime Angel says it again.

Obvious Shaun reference - the fence jumping.

The letters HF on the top of the new cop car at the end.

In Angel's room when he leaves London, you see a child in a police pedal car - which we later find out is the man himself as a boy.

Edgar's love letter to Tarantino - the interior shot of Danny opening the car boot.

And a question that's been bugging me - does their police car number plate mean anything? CASI WXX, if my memory serves correctly.
CazBag
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Apr 28 2007, 03:35 PM)
Bloody Mary is written on the black board in the pub just behind Roy Porter's head when Angel orders a Cranberry Juice.

There's a Hog Lumps board behind the bar too.
AusChick
^ Oh yeah I forgot about that one!

This doesn't really relate to the thread (but then I am the Queen of Off-Topic) but tonight while we were in the Supermarket the song "Lovefool" (The Cardigans song which was in Baz Lurhman's Romeo & Juliet) came on.
I started dancing like Eve Draper in the middle of the fruit & veggie section and my boyfriend looked at me like I was mad! (until I reminded him of the scene in Hot Fuzz)

Tee hee laugh.gif
dolfyn
QUOTE (AusChick @ Apr 30 2007, 08:59 PM)
....we were in the Supermarket the song "Lovefool" (The Cardigans song which was in Baz Lurhman's Romeo & Juliet) came on.
I started dancing like Eve Draper in the middle of the fruit & veggie section and my boyfriend looked at me like I was mad!  (until I reminded him of the scene in Hot Fuzz)

Bahahaha! laugh.gif That's great, Sis, I love it! You're a great big dag, AC! biggrin.gif

*sings* dada-dada-da-da "Woo!" tongue.gif

Wifey, you spotted a couple of good ones. smile.gif I'm glad I'm not the only one looking really in-depth at the movie & picking out the subtle stuff! hehee. rolleyes.gif

Another little detail that slipped my attention until quite recently, was the poster in the window of the shop where Nicholas & Danny bought their Cornetto's. The scene when Angel's riding into the village on the horse, you see a shot of the shop owner standing in her shop doorway, & there's a poster in the window. The poster has the "two semi-professionals waiting in the wings" as Romeo & Juliet! A cute touch, I thought. happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif
sarkybarker
Well, i've seen it only twice and it's been a couple of months but there is one obvious reference that's not been stated yet.

The chin stroking when Angel is in the newsagents is a copy of a Spaced scene where they caresssed their beards (not eachothers!) while thinking ponderously.

I hope i haven't made this up.
Geoi
Someone mentioned the fruit machine in the pub,,, but it is the same fruit machine tune from SotD,,, "Ooh Aww Dracula" I think.
AusChick
QUOTE (dolfyn @ Apr 30 2007, 12:46 PM)
Bahahaha!  laugh.gif  That's great, Sis, I love it! You're a great big dag, AC!  biggrin.gif
That's me alright! happy.gif

Ooh I thought of one.....I didn't find this until about my 4th viewing.
When Angel is returning into town on the final morning (Morning hehehe) he passes the sign into Sandford and I noticed that the sign has town motto on it - which is of course the same latin that the NWA were chanting at their "meeting" the night before.

Dominum communis communitate (or something)
Starscream`s Ghost
And that's an Omen reference, I'm pretty sure.
Mrs Bisley
QUOTE (Alienlint @ Apr 29 2007, 07:49 PM)

No one believes me when I talk about it but it was in the movie at least twice. It was in the riot room and crawling around the debris after the station blew up.

I never noticed that... I'm intruiged (sp?)

QUOTE (Heff @ Apr 30 2007, 06:54 AM)
The Swear Box - every swear word has been 'censored' with punctuation replacing letters, except the most offensive one.

You see Andy Cartwright (Rafe Spall) snigger when Angel says 'skidmarks' - and you hear him in the background everytime Angel says it again.

Edgar's love letter to Tarantino - the interior shot of Danny opening the car boot.

I love the swear box!!

Hee hee 'skidmarks'

laugh.gif love letter...

QUOTE (CazBag @ Apr 30 2007, 08:51 AM)
There's a Hog Lumps board behind the bar too.

I shouted 'OH MY GOD HOG LUMPS' when I saw them and got some very weird looks...
dolfyn
QUOTE (Alienlint @ Apr 30 2007, 05:49 AM)

You're absolutely right there, A.L. smile.gif The hedgehog is crawling over the gear in the riot room when Angel is first shown around, & then it's crawling over the rubble at the end after the big explosion. In fact, I commented on it in amusement to my friends when I noticed that the hedgehog had survived the blast! happy.gif So tell your mates that someone who has seen the movie 8 times (9 times after tomorrow night) confirmes what you said. biggrin.gif Otherwise, just point it out next time you see it! wink.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
cool.gif
AusChick
QUOTE (AusChick @ May 1 2007, 09:02 AM)
Dominum communis communitate (or something)
I've been corrected - apparently it's Bonum Comunae Communitatis... maybe.

QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ May 1 2007, 09:12 AM)
And that's an Omen reference, I'm pretty sure.
Is it? I thought that the music and shots of the church leading up to Tim Messenger's death might have been an Omen reference.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (AusChick @ May 1 2007, 12:24 PM)
Is it?  I thought that the music and shots of the church leading up to Tim Messenger's death might have been an Omen reference.

That is too. It's Buxton's Troughton moment.
dolfyn
Some more bits I love.... happy.gif

*The way Kevin Eldon delivers the line about how somebody "fell on his pitchfork the other week".

*The way Jim Broadbent delivers the line "Do you like ice-cream?"

*When Simon Skinner says, "Well he murdered Bill Shakespeare." And Angel says, "What?!.... Oh."

*When Angel's filling out the paperwork after catching the shoplifter, whose name is "Cocker". You see Angel write the name, but the shot is edited before the "er" is added on the end. Then the line immediately after that is Kevin Eldon saying, "Impressive collar." The first time, I thought he was about to say "impressive c**k"!!! hehehehee. laugh.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif
AusChick
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ May 1 2007, 01:04 PM)
That is too. It's Buxton's Troughton moment.
Yarp.

I also like the unintelligible Police Officer's little asides in response to Doris.
Like when she's talking about Martin Blower's car having it's top off and then says something about having her own top off and he says "tits". Then after George Merchant's house blows up and the doc is talking about people not eating at night and Doris says "I don't know, I like a little midnight gobble" to which he responds with "cocks" laugh.gif

I also love Skinner referring to his supermarket as a supermarchet.
Classic!!
lynned
Here's a few more...

Skinner manning the "Splat the Rat" game at the church fete...which is what Tim Messenger's just about to do, and what's just about to be done to him.

Angel's London superiors point out that he's living out of boxes; later, we see the same is true of Danny, despite both men residing in their own hometowns.

The front yard of Angel's cottage, at the end, is positively spilling over with greenery and flowers. Well, what do you expect from a man who loves his peace lily?
AusChick
Ooh good ones Lynne!!

I know you from somewhere. Are you on Join The Fuzz?

Welcome to Spaced-Out!!
Come and say "hi" in the New Members thread.
Alienlint
For some odd reason, at the end, I got the impression that Nick and Danny moved in together. I don't remember seeing the outside of Danny's apartment, though.

I'll have to see the movie again.
Mrs Bisley
QUOTE (dolfyn @ May 1 2007, 01:25 PM)
*When Simon Skinner says, "Well he murdered Bill Shakespeare."  And Angel says, "What?!.... Oh."

Got a genuine snort from me each time I've seen it!!

QUOTE (Alienlint @ May 2 2007, 02:31 PM)
For some odd reason, at the end, I got the impression that Nick and Danny moved in together. I don't remember seeing the outside of Danny's apartment, though.

In my head, they had.. but in my head they were lovers.... tongue.gif

- I love the face Angel makes when he's talking to Skinner on the walkie talkie after his first fight with Lurch and he goes "... narp?" hee hee!!

- "He's not Judge Judy!" hee hee!!
Mayonnaise
beginning of the movie, one of the Andys says to Nicholas Angel.. "bet you just can't wait to jump in to Sgt. Popwell's(sp?) grave" and Angel responds with "I'm not jumping into anyone's grave" and in the end when Nicholas Angel is running from the NWA.. he indeed falls into his grave. smile.gif
Jon 79
QUOTE (Heff @ Apr 30 2007, 07:54 AM)
And a question that's been bugging me - does their police car number plate mean anything? CASI WXX, if my memory serves correctly.

This could be a reference to Carrie. ...Carrie White's head teacher kept calling her Cassie.
BeyondSpectrality
I really love Spaced, Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz.

And I've caught a lot of the references to other films in the movie but one that is obvious to a lot of people is the reference from 'The Omen'. But I'm not exactly sure what people think about this reference. To me this has multiple references to The Omen'. First being that Tim Messenger is a photographer that follows the main character around a lot, Like the photographer in The Omen...

Spoiler:
Tim Messenger is not only killed in a similar fashion as the priest from 'The Omen' (The roof of a church) but he also loses his head as does the photographer in 'The Omen'.

Another thing I love about the movie is Angel, 777....

And a ton more!
lynned
QUOTE (AusChick @ May 2 2007, 03:09 AM)
Ooh good ones Lynne!!

I know you from somewhere. Are you on Join The Fuzz?
Welcome to Spaced-Out!!
Come and say "hi" in the New Members thread.

Hi AusChick! Yes, I'm on JTF; good to see you again, thanks for the welcome!

Another favorite gag: The NWA ducking back into their doorways after Angel's ridden into town...including Annette Roper ducking back into her shop offscreen, complete with offscreen doorchime.
AusChick
^ I thought I recognised your name Lynned!
Glad to have you o board.

QUOTE (Alienlint @ May 2 2007, 02:31 PM)
It's definately not Danny's house that Nicholas is in at the end (I assumed it was the cottage which wasn't ready at the start of the movie) but there's nothing to say that Danny didn't move into the cottage with him!!

QUOTE (Mayonnaise @ May 2 2007, 03:42 PM)
beginning of the movie, one of the Andys says to Nicholas Angel.. "bet you just can't wait to jump in to Sgt. Popwell's(sp?) grave" and Angel responds with "I'm not jumping into anyone's grave" and in the end when Nicholas Angel is running from the NWA.. he indeed falls into his grave. smile.gif
Ooh good one Mayo!
dolfyn
Another little bit that always makes me grin to myself, & I pointed this one out to AusChick a while back & we always giggle about it.... happy.gif

When Angel says to Frank, "And I know who did it!", just before they go to confront Simon Skinner, he says it in the same voice as Tim in Spaced saying to Mike, "I can still see you up that tree....". laugh.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
biggrin.gif
AusChick
hehehe yeah I can't see that scene now without quoting "I can still see you up that tree"
Everlong
The scene in which they find the car 'crash', theres another of Simon and Edgar's multi-layered moments.

I shall explain.

They played Romeo and Juliet in the play
When Skinner turns up, 'Romeo and Juliet' by Dire Straits is playing on the car radio/CD.
One of the records thrown at Mary and the fat zombie in SotD was a Dire Straits album

laugh.gif
AusChick
^ Throw it!

One of my favourite bits (which I think I've mentioned before) is the reference to the movie "ChinaTown"

The best known line from ChinaTown is the very last line of the movie which is "Forget it Jake, it's ChinaTown"
And in HF Danny says "Forget it Nicholas, it's Sandford"

I thought that was a quite line anyway - but what really makes me laugh about it now is that the first two screenings I went to - my bf was the only one in the whole cinema laughing at that line.
So now every time I see it I can just hear my bf cackling away in an otherwise silent cinema.

As my bf says "It has become a meta-joke"
Mayonnaise
Not a reference or anything.. but I just really like the way Nicholas Angel says "You do DO what I DO!".. that always cracks me up.. don't know why biggrin.gif
dolfyn
I also love the part when Angel's going through his hypothesis about Simon Skinner being the murderer, he's so earnest & serious. My favourite line is when he gets to the bit about blowing up the house of the "fridge magnate", he says,
"....& so you covered your tracks with the judicial application of bacon & beans!" laugh.gif
I just love the intense way he says it! happy.gif

Ah, it's those little moments.... wink.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
tongue.gif
AusChick
Something I only noticed after several viewings was when they are in the church after Tim Messenger gets squished and Frank tells the two Andy's to start interviewing everyone at the fete.
Then one of the Andy's points to the other one and says "But he's got shorts on"
hehehe

Of course my favourite Andy moment is Paddy's Andy saying "Murder, murder murder. Change the fucking record!"

laugh.gif
Justincredible
A couple things I noticed:

When the Andys are told to start calling people they sarcastically reply "Should we start with Aaron A Aaronson?" At the end of the movie, the "gingernut" boy in the model village is Aaron Aaronson.

When Skinner first meets Nick as they are jogging, he says something like "take me away... my prices are murder...catch me later" I don't remember all the words but his lines forshadow the events of the movie.

A shotgun shell hits treacher in the eye when he cocks his gun

The music when Nick Angel rides into town is very similar to the music used in Braveheart when Mel Gibson comes into the village alone on a horse to save his caputred wife.

When Nick and Danny are standing guard at the church in the rain, the Andys walk up from behind to harass them. However the Andys try to go under the police line without putting their umbrella down. Instead they try to lift the police line OVER the umbrella. That's funny junk.

I'm sure there's more I caught but I'll get back when i think of them.
Justincredible
Oh and anyone notice the irony in the NWA discussing the hoodie infestation at the end? They discuss this while they're all wearing black hoods.

Also, many of the people in the NWA are present in the background of all the Sandford crime scenes in the movie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.