Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Good Night
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > Spaced: Above and Beyond > Cast Watch
Pages: 1, 2
dolfyn
Well, here's the first trailer of the movie The Good Night, starring Martin Freeman & with Simon in a supporting role. smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h_ri92fxfY

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
cool.gif
AusChick
Thanks Gen.
It looks interesting.

Anyone heard anything about the release of this?
CazBag
QUOTE (AusChick @ May 1 2007, 11:29 AM)
Anyone heard anything about the release of this?

According to IMDb the US release date's 21st September. Not sure how reliable that is though.

Martin Freeman's looking mighty fine there!
widowspider
QUOTE (dolfyn @ May 1 2007, 11:23 AM)
Well, here's the first trailer of the movie The Good Night, starring Martin Freeman & with Simon in a supporting role.  smile.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
cool.gif

Oooh, interesting. Pegg is looking like a lush in that film!
MyDogAteLA
QUOTE (dolfyn @ May 1 2007, 04:23 AM)
Well, here's the first trailer of the movie The Good Night, starring Martin Freeman & with Simon in a supporting role.  smile.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
cool.gif

Yesh, that's my upload! Sorry, always get a bit excited when I see people link to what I've posted. tongue.gif Now, back to my boring little life. See ya.
dolfyn
QUOTE (mydogatela @ May 2 2007, 10:29 AM)
Yesh, that's my upload!  Sorry, always get a bit excited when I see people link to what I've posted.  tongue.gif  Now, back to my boring little life.  See ya.

Aw, Harmz, we know you have your finger on the pulse! cool.gif That's why we always borrow from you. wink.gif We know how generous you are, & we're keen to share the love. smile.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
happy.gif
Alienlint
Is it a UK or US film?
CazBag
QUOTE (Alienlint @ May 2 2007, 04:01 AM)
Is it a UK or US film?

There's more about it in this older thread. It seems to be taking forever to get to the big screen!
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (CazBag @ May 2 2007, 01:34 AM)
It seems to be taking forever to get to the big screen!

*EDIT*

Never mind, thought we were talking about Big Nothing. Carry on.. laugh.gif
AusChick
Read this on the Join the Fuzz forum...

I have been in Cannes for the festival and thought I'd tell you I got to see Simon's new film, The Good Night, which stars Martin Freeman, Gwyneth Paltrow, Danny Devito and Penelope Cruz. It's great - definitely worth a watch. Simon has fun playing a complete git in it and it's a very different film.... Won't give anything else away - just go and see it when it comes out.
CazBag
A number of film sites have listed this as a 5th October release date in the US. Limited release by looks of it. Anyone else heard any more about this recently?
dolfyn
*bump*

Here's the official trailer, thanx to thirtyhelens at Peggster....
http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/339553/The...-Night/trailers

Simon makes a brief appearance at the 1.36 mark; a short, but memorable snippet. happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wink.gif
AusChick
It really does look quite interesting.
I remember studying lucid dreaming in psychology.

So of course the question is......will it get an Aus release?
CazBag
The IMDb page on this film say it's due to be released in the UK on 18th January. Anyone seen any promo on this yet?
Zoe
Only a couple of bad reviews.

The 'Total Film' one is very similar and also gives it two stars, but it's not up on the website yet.

It looks like it's going to slip under the radar.
dolfyn
^ Oh dear. Not even Simon gets his usual glowing review. huh.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wacko.gif
CazBag
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 7 2008, 11:32 AM)

It does look that way. It's not listed along with the other films released on 18th Jan in the 'Coming Soon' on the Odeon and Vue websites.

I've not seen the poster about anywhere either:

From Momentumpictures:

Raven
It's listed in the Coming Soon section on Cineworld's web site.
CazBag
QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 7 2008, 11:57 AM)
It's listed in the Coming Soon section on Cineworld's web site.

That's good to know. Hopefully the other cinemas are just being slow rather than it being just a very limited release.
Raven
Cineworld is only listing films up to this Wednesday, I doubt this will appear on their web site proper until early/mid next week.
CazBag
Video clips HERE at Brightcove
AusChick
Damn. Why do they have to talk so quietly?
The speakers on my work computer are crap.
I'll have to watch this properly when I get home.
dolfyn
Even though the reviews aren't great, I still want to see this film for the actors in it (except maybe Penelope Cruz, I've never been a fan). rolleyes.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
smile.gif
Zoe
This film makes me mad. Judging from the reviews, the only reason it got made is a classic example of nepotism. Which, unless you're on the receiving end of it, is just plain wrong.
dolfyn
^ So? They're a talented bunch of people who happen to know each other; why shouldn't they collaborate on a project? Far worse movies have been made as a result of nepotism. Anyway, the same accusation could be made regarding the Pegg/Wright/Frost projects. Whether they have worked or not shouldn't matter.

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
smile.gif
Zoe
No, you've misunderstood me, I mean that it's written and directed by Jake Paltrow. Nothing to do with its stars, except Gwyneth.
AusChick
And Maggie Gyllenhaal?
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 16 2008, 10:39 AM)
No, you've misunderstood me, I mean that it's written and directed by Jake Paltrow. Nothing to do with its stars, except Gwyneth.

I know what you mean. The Paltrow boy seems to have hawked this dull film idea round a few studios before sis used her name to get it made.
Sostie
QUOTE (AusChick @ Jan 16 2008, 10:47 AM)
And Maggie Gyllenhaal?

A directorial/writing debut by someone whose very famous sister will star in the project, has no comparison whatsoever with the Gyllenhaals!
Zoe
The boys know what I mean.
AusChick
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jan 16 2008, 11:10 AM)
A  directorial/writing debut by someone whose very famous sister will star in the project, has no comparison whatsoever with the Gyllenhaals!

Yeah I know. I was just trying to be a smart-arse but too tired to pull it off.

I just meant that being related to someone famous doesn't mean that anything you do yourself ceases to have meaning of its own.

But from what you folks are saying it would seem there are more reviews that I haven't read/seen/heard which suggest it was because of Gwyneth that the film got made (I hadn't got that impression myself but have only seen a couple of the reviews)

*edit* The storyline sounds interesting (not dull) to me though.

*edit #2* I had to look up whether Jake or Maggie started acting first. hahahaha
huh.gif
I'm going to bed now.
Zoe
I haven't read anything of the sort. In fact Jake would claim quite the opposite.

Halfway through the new bittersweet romantic comedy The Good Night, you start to think, “Wow, Gwyneth Paltrow is a real pain.” As Dora, the difficult wife of Martin Freeman’s everyman hero Gary, she mooches about their Manhattan apartment in a long dirty brown fright wig, with her pale, morose features pinched into a permanent frown, stopping only to berate her luckless beau about his lack of ambition, his mediocrity and his unhealthy sexual appetites (he likes it, she doesn’t). Yet when you discover that this unsparing portrait was written and directed by Gwyneth’s younger brother Jake Paltrow, you begin to wonder if there are any Freudian tensions bubbling to the surface here, or if it’s a lifetime’s big-sis/ little-bro rivalry encapsulated in a single savage character?

“That would be as wrong an interpretation as is humanly possible,” chuckles the 32-year-old New York-based film-maker and former TV tyro (he directed on seven seasons of NYPD Blue). “Only because we’re very good friends, and the part wasn’t written for her in any way.” Instead, Paltrow explains that he was initially reluctant to cast his superstar sister, fearing that the film would be perceived as a nepotistic family experiment. He only relented when, confident in his own script, he realised that she was perfect for the part. “I think it’s a role that subverts the screen persona that people have a relationship with – the blonde hair and the blue eyes and so on. And that’s also one of the reasons why she wanted to do it. She likes to put herself in the hands of her director, not just her brother, but anyone who has a vision, and will run with it.”

It's just good old fashioned cynicism, I'm afraid. He can say what he likes, I don't believe this film would have been made without the kudos of his famous sister.

The Total Film review I mentioned earlier is now online, here, it's more of the same really.
AusChick
I'd still like to see it.

But the nepotism angle apparently doesn't work on Australian distributors.

sad.gif
Wife Of Rolex
Probably the one cinema anywhere near me that would possibly be screening The Good Night is the only Cineworld cinema in London not showing it.

Blahdy typical.
dolfyn
Nepotism only bothers me when others, who are just as (or more) suited to a job, aren't even given a look in. Especially when that chosen relation is utter crap at whatever the job is. rolleyes.gif I don't believe that's happened in this case, from what I can tell.

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
smile.gif
Sostie
QUOTE (dolfyn @ Jan 16 2008, 11:46 PM)
Nepotism only bothers me when others, who are just as (or more) suited to a job, aren't even given a look in. Especially when that chosen relation is utter crap at whatever the job is.  rolleyes.gif  I don't believe that's happened in this case, from what I can tell.

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
smile.gif

Nepotism is not just giving a job to someone who may not be as up to the task as well as another, but also giving oppurtunity to someone who otherwise would not get it witout family connections.

It seems the film (particularly the script) has been panned - would the film have been financed,distributed, secured a good cast and had the same director had it not been for the family connection? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe it's coincidence that your very famous, box-office draw of a sister is in the film.

I haven't seen the film. It could be great, I might love it.
Chapman Baxter
Ouch:

QUOTE (The FT)
The Good Night is written and directed by Jake Paltrow, brother of Gwyneth. Sis gets only a cameo – lucky girl – in this witless whimsy about an ex-pop musician (Martin Freeman) trying to sort out his life and dreams and wondering where he took a wrong turn. Co-stars Penélope Cruz, Danny De Vito and Simon Pegg took it when they read this script.
Zoe
Yep, you can't really have someone else up for the same job of writing and directing the film Jake Paltrow has written and directed. I suspect, however, there are many young writer/directors who can't get their projects off the ground, regardless of quality, without an industry connection.

Young Paltrow needs to prove himself on his own merits. It's perfectly possible, look at Sofia Coppola - or the rest of the Coppola family for that matter - but this doesn't seem like it's going to be the film to do it.
dolfyn
As I said, Sostie, nepotism only bothers me if it's screwing over better people for the job & the one getting the job is crap. I'm not bothered if Jake has only been given a go because of his sister's involvement. Everyone has to start somewhere. Best of luck to him. I'd use connections if I had them, especially if it meant the difference between breaking into my chosen field or not. smile.gif

And I'm still interested in seeing this film, just for the cast. cool.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wink.gif
Julie
I just this second finished watching it. I'm just not sure how I feel about it. Am I meant to be depressed?
Sostie
Well Metro hated it. Says it is so bad it's hard to think if it would have ever got made without Gwyneth's involvement.

On the plus side, "Simon Pegg is the film's only saving grace".
CazBag
It's a shame they're just showing it in Cineworld cinemas, they're miles away from where I live. Think I'll try and go to the Shaftesbury Avenue one next week when I do my London office day. Even after all the bad reviews I'd still like to see for myself.
Miss Shazam
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 7 2008, 12:32 PM)
Only a couple of bad reviews.

The plot doesn't seem up to much, either. Seem's like Jake Paltrow's (Writer/Director) first serious film, but I'm surprised even Simon's review isn't a good one.
I don't know If I'll be able to see it, I've not had the money to see half the films I've wanted to go to since last October, let alone one with a crappy review (but the Pegg factor is swaying things dramatically wacko.gif )
However, it could prove to be enjoyable, most of the films I like are trashed upon in my community. It could be charming, in an ammature sort of way. (NOT CALLING SIMON AMATURE in any shape or form)
You know what I mean...

AMY XXX biggrin.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jan 18 2008, 11:06 AM)
Well Metro hated it.  Says it is so bad it's hard to think if it would have ever got made without Gwyneth's involvement.

It seems that any film she gets involoved in production with is a goner. Does anyone remember that godawful film she did with Huey f'n Lewis? The karaoke one?
shaka37
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jan 18 2008, 04:06 AM)
Well Metro hated it.  Says it is so bad it's hard to think if it would have ever got made without Gwyneth's involvement.

On the plus side, "Simon Pegg is the film's only saving grace".

Almost every review I've seen has said essentially the same thing. Same could be said for mission impossible and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the same thing will happen with Star Trek. I know we all here love the snot out of him and think he's just the best, but the fact is, he has a quality that is different from most actors. He's not a poser, a preener, he doesn't overact and his delivery is natural. So, it would stand to reason that he's going to stand out in a film. He's the antithesis of everyone else. Although, Martin Freeman is kinda that way, too.
AusChick
Well at least Simon's doing well.

It's all a damn shame though. It seemed such an intriguing premise to me.
And an interesting cast.

I just wish I could actually see the bloody thing and decide for myself.

*ETA* For the UK folks, Empire is giving away some prizes related to this film here
maian
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 17 2008, 10:30 AM)
Young Paltrow needs to prove himself on his own merits. It's perfectly possible, look at Sofia Coppola - or the rest of the Coppola family for that matter - but this doesn't seem like it's going to be the film to do it.

Or John Huston (or, by connection, Angelica and Danny Huston. Hell of a dynasty they've got there). Admittedly, I doubt Jake Paltrow will become the next John Huston, but you never know.
Cock locked and ready to Rock
I think it's a really good film.

It's kind of along the same lines as eternal sunshine/lost in translation but different. Not explaining this well but it's got the same kind of tone as those films. Maybe it's just me but you come away with the same kind of feeling...

(I hate writing such a ridiculous and pretentious sentence but I cant word it better) It speaks to you on a personal level (sorry). Theres alot of familiarity that you can relate to.

Martin Freeman is brilliant, and Simon is even better. A completely different character than he usually plays, and has the best, funniest line in the film (you'll know it when you see it.) not to mention an unexpected Jarvis!

I actually didn't know it was going to be released over here, I came across it on imdb months and months ago. Gutted there isn't a cineworld nearby, but if you look hard enough....

by the look of the reviews and amount of publicity it's getting I think this is going to be one of those obscure, unsung, absolutely fantastic things that the bandwagon completely misses... Just like I like my Pegg/Spaced stuff!

tedious irrelevant rhetoric over.
dolfyn
^ Thanx for the review. Nice to see something positive said about this film, especially by someone who has actually seen it! smile.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wink.gif
Julie
Really, though. How many films about lucid dreaming does Penelope Cruz need to be in?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.