Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost Series 4- Discussion Thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Jessopjessopjessop
Here we are again. Series 3 has ended on a number of "WTFs", and was superbly entertaining in the lead-up to the big finale.

Now we must wait until next year to see what happens next. Post your thoughts here in the usual fashion!

One possible scenario is a whole season featuring flashbacks to... the island!

From the 'present' time as seen in Jack's flash-forward, we could see their inevitable rescue and escape through flashbacks, with each episode taking place in the real world...maybe with the ultimate goal of returning to the island.

Fire away.
Julie
Food for though:

In the flash forward, Jack says: "You get my father down here, and if he's more drunk than I am..."

Wasn't Jack's father dead?

Could this be drunk ramblings? Or have things gone awry in timeline?
Ingram
I noticed they never affirmed or denied that Jack's father was around, so I went on the assumption that he was indeed dead (as the story goes) and it was just a drunken rant - especially with the "don't pity me" line afterwards.
Stella MM
QUOTE (Julie @ May 27 2007, 07:48 PM)
Food for though:

In the flash forward, Jack says:  "You get my father down here, and if he's more drunk than I am..."

Wasn't Jack's father dead?

Could this be drunk ramblings?  Or have things gone awry in timeline?

I assumed it was total denial.

Here's another question: the writers in the Lost podcast said we'd see the Big Foot again before the end of the series. Did we? And what the flump is it?
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Ingram @ May 27 2007, 07:52 PM)
I noticed they never affirmed or denied that Jack's father was around, so I went on the assumption that he was indeed dead (as the story goes) and it was just a drunken rant - especially with the "don't pity me" line afterwards.

As strange as it seems, any other explanation is more unlikely ie: it was a) actually a flashback, b) His dad returns from the dead after they leave the island, c) he wasn't dead in the first place, etc, etc.

As for the giant foot, we didn't see that again!
Sostie
Jack's talk of his dad I put down to drunk ramblings...and a way to throw the viewers of the flash forward scent.

I initially thought the person in the coffin was either Sawyer or Ben. Thinking perhaps it may be Juliet!
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Sostie @ May 28 2007, 03:13 PM)
I initially thought the person in the coffin was either Sawyer or Ben.  Thinking perhaps it may be Juliet!

I'm liking Ben for Coffin Boy. Reckon Juliet dies in the island escape, which is part of the reason Jack is so torn up, saying to Kate that they "weren't supposed to leave" and is so desperate to get back.
Sostie
One question raised in Series 3 that some may forget to question. If the current "others" are not actually members of the Dharma Initiative, but original islanders that killed the DI, does the DI know this happened? And if so, why are (were) they still supporting those on the Island and sending people there?
ipse dixit
^ Very good point. I guess we can only assume that they're not aware of the situation. Perhaps that's why someone remained in the hatch to enter the numbers, and Mikhail stayed in the communications ranch - to maintain the illusion to DI that all was well.

In which case, now that the hatch has blown, perhaps the mainland DI people are on their way - maybe that's who Naomi's there with.
Ade
QUOTE (Sostie @ May 28 2007, 07:21 PM)
One question raised in Series 3 that some may forget to question.  If the current "others" are not actually members of the Dharma Initiative, but original islanders that killed the DI, does the DI know this happened? And if so, why are (were) they still supporting those on the Island and sending people there?

Excellent point, yes.

QUOTE (ipse dixit @ May 28 2007, 07:27 PM)
^ Very good point. I guess we can only assume that they're not aware of the situation. Perhaps that's why someone remained in the hatch to enter the numbers, and Mikhail stayed in the communications ranch - to maintain the illusion to DI that all was well.

In which case, now that the hatch has blown, perhaps the mainland DI people are on their way - maybe that's who Naomi's there with.

I reckon you has it about right, there.

Even so, something tells me there'll be much deeper mystery/double bluff/double cross, etc to unfold beyond even that hypothesis. It's 'Lost', innit?
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Stella MM @ May 28 2007, 06:19 AM)
I assumed it was total denial.

Or the oxycodone talking.

Here's another question: the writers in the Lost podcast said we'd see the Big Foot again before the end of the series. Did we? And what the flump is it?

We didn't. They dropped that ball. Forty eight eps left, tho, so plenty of time to pick it up.
ipse dixit
Curiouser and curiouser...

QUOTE (Email from my flatmate)
OK - so Jack was on an Oceanic flight using a golden pass  - but Oceanic shut down after the original crash - from the Oceanic website:

"Michael Orteig, President of Oceanic Airlines, released this statement: "After 25 years of service, we are forced to close our doors. Due to financial difficulties in the wake of the Flight 815 tragedy, we are no longer able to sustain service. We are deeply sorry that we can no longer serve our loyal customers, and apologize for any inconvenience our decision will cause."

So just to complicate matters - it may be the future but an entirely different timeline - one in which Jack's Dad is still alive, Kate is not on the run and Oceanic are still in existence - Think about it in terms of Donnie Darko - if they don't die / stay on the island, shit things happen to them anyway to the extent that Jack reeeeally wants to go back. (I've given up on the flash back theory as apparently the funeral directors was called hoffs/drawlar which is an anagram of flash forward)

Interestingly when I copied it from the website I also picked up this sub-text hidden underneath:

"If anyone should find this message, please get word I'm alive and stranded on an island somewhere in the South Pacific. Please send help soon. Things are bad. And they're getting worse...
Sally"

Who the snood is Sally?

This is all terribly confusing.
Ingram
Your flatmate is quite excellent for all that, good knowledge. I am completely stumped as to where the flash forward fits in, and if indeed it is an alternate timeline. It's a fair assumption to link Ben's warnings about the people who want to find the island (Jack and Kate's erstwhile rescuers in the flashforwards?) and the way Jack feels about leaving the island. It's not entirely tracking though, I mean, why does Kate not have the same sense of remorse that Jack has? Granted his hero complex could have been massively dented by the knowledge that it was his direct action against Locke and Ben that led to the 'rescue' and the events that immediately preceded and followed. I think there might be some merit to the view that the island possesses an organic and addictive force; again, however, we are left wondering why Jack is affected and Kate seems not to be. There are lots of practical considerations too, with Kate still free we must assume that she shielded her identity and, perhaps, maintained that FugitiveKate died on the island - assuming another identity for convenience and then going back on the run.

...it's all quite hard to think about. I don't know if we've been given anywhere near enough information to piece it together. All I know is I'm really looking forward to series four now.
thirtyhelens
Casting news, and given the nature of this one it probably needs a spoiler tag even in the spoiler thread:

Mercutio, er, Michael is back!!! wink.gif
Peronel
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Jul 26 2007, 08:28 AM)
Casting news, and given the nature of this one it probably needs a spoiler tag even in the spoiler thread:

Mercutio, er, Michael is back!!! wink.gif

Hooray! I'm assuming this will take the form of a "what the fuck happened to you guys?" episode, full of flashbacks which will serve to highlight how amazingly fast Walt has grown in the, what, 20 days since they left?
thirtyhelens
More casting (no spoilers)...

The new season of Lost is still over five months away (arrrrggggh!!!), but shooting on the first episode is underway, and the show's five new cast members are officially in place. Yes, we said five: Executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse tell EW.com that Jeff Fahey a cult-pop fave most famous for The Lawnmower Man and most recently seen in Grindhouse has been added to the show, joining previously announced newcomers Jeremy Davies (Saving Private Ryan), Lance Reddick (The Wire), Ken Leung (The Sopranos), and British actress Rebecca Mader (The Devil Wears Prada, Love Monkey).

When did I miss the Jeremy Davies announcement?!
Jessopjessopjessop
Season Four Trailer!

Cows! Skulls! Charlie!

I'm excited about where this might go. Now they have a set date to send they might just pull off the most audacious series in history...
Atara
I decided that after the end of the last season* that I was angry with all the questions and no answers, I vowed I would not watch it ever again....and now, no thanks to that clip... intrigue!

I am geniunly sad that I don't have Sky One anymore since moving away from home.

* I do this after every season
Peronel
Hooray!
Ade
I'm moist with anticipation.
Peronel
QUOTE (Ade @ Dec 16 2007, 11:33 PM)
I'm moist with anticipation.

QUOTE (Peronel @ Dec 15 2007, 08:36 AM)
Hooray!
Ade
I've been ploughing through Seasons 1 & 2 again over the past two or three weeks, finally catching up with the few episodes that I missed first time around. Season 2 finale tonight, wheee!

Reckon I'll be through Season 3 again before the year is out. I might eke it out a little longer though, just to time things nicely with early Feb.
Peronel
Oh.My.god
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Peronel @ Dec 21 2007, 10:06 AM)

Ooooh, I'm all a-quiver.
omni
Re: Jack's Dad, if you'll all think way back to season 1, when Jack found the coffin it was empty. This suggests three things:

1) Jack acquiesed to Aussie customs and left his Dad behind, but took the coffin for the funeral.
2) The healing powers of the island resurrected Jack's Dad who was only Mostly dead.
3) Jack is nuts.
Ade
QUOTE (Peronel @ Dec 21 2007, 10:06 AM)

I've genuinely gotted goosebumps.

eta: I don't know if anyone else here has done so or not, but if you let the Lost Season 4 trailers and subsequent adverts and Lost clips run, you eventually get to see a rather intriguing Dharma Initiative orientation film for the Orchid station. With wabbits.
Peronel
QUOTE (omni @ Dec 22 2007, 02:52 AM)
Re: Jack's Dad, if you'll all think way back to season 1, when Jack found the coffin it was empty.  This suggests three things: 

1) Jack acquiesed to Aussie customs and left his Dad behind, but took the coffin for the funeral.
2) The healing powers of the island resurrected Jack's Dad who was only Mostly dead.
3) Jack is nuts.

4) The polar bears ate the body
5) Jack's dad is a zombie

Come onnnn, number five!
Peronel
If you need to catch up.
Ade
QUOTE (Peronel @ Dec 27 2007, 08:06 AM)

That's one hilarious recap. I love it. biggrin.gif

It'd make for an ace Season 4 DVD extra.
Peronel
Should also have said that you need to click on the 'catch-up' link. But all you clever so and sos knew that.

It is very funny. My favourite - Hurley finds Desmond naked in the jungle. The hatch blew his clothes off, now he can see the future.
Ade
QUOTE (Peronel @ Dec 29 2007, 11:40 PM)
It is very funny. My favourite - Hurley finds Desmond naked in the jungle. The hatch blew his clothes off, now he can see the future.
biggrin.gif

'tis my fave bit too.
Sostie
QUOTE (omni @ Dec 21 2007, 04:52 PM)
Re: Jack's Dad, if you'll all think way back to season 1, when Jack found the coffin it was empty.  This suggests three things: 

3) Jack is nuts.

QUOTE (Peronel @ Dec 22 2007, 01:53 AM)
4) The polar bears ate the body
5) Jack's dad is a zombie

or

6) after seeing both his father and bride die at the hands of his malevolent brother, Voltan, sets out for revenge and the chance to live up to his title. Tooling himself up with the "mind-sword" and recruiting a motley band of warriors: a giant, a dwarf, a one-armed man with a machine-crossbow and an elf with the fastest bow in the land; Hawk leads the battle against Voltan to free the land from the forces of evil and avenge his loved ones.

7) has a successful career at Chelsea FC and recieves the England captaincy despite being an arrogant twat. (probably only some UK members will get that one)

Noticed at the end of the trailers that the reflection of the logo is a cityscape. Looks like the "flash-forwards" will play a major part in the new series. Or maybe, as perhaps hinted briefly in the trailer, they are "flash-nows"...or rather, real time, and the stuff on the island will become flashbacks!
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Sostie @ Dec 31 2007, 07:37 AM)
Noticed at the end of the trailers that the reflection of the logo is a cityscape.  Looks like the "flash-forwards" will play a major part in the new series.  Or maybe, as perhaps hinted briefly in the trailer, they are "flash-nows"...or rather, real time, and the stuff on the island will become flashbacks!

I also noticed what most definitely looked like a flash of the Monaghan forehead, so we may yet get some more Charlie flashbacks. Or dream sequences. Or... oh who the hell knows with this show anymore.
Ade
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Jan 2 2008, 06:24 PM)
I also noticed what most definitely looked like a flash of the Monaghan forehead, so we may yet get some more Charlie flashbacks.  Or dream sequences.  Or... oh who the hell knows with this show anymore.

Adding to the list of 'also noticed's, I could have sworn I spotted what looked like a bearded Paulo as one of the 'rescuers', the one who implies that rescue isn't exactly "their primary objective". But I may well be mistaken. I mean, he was buried alive, right?
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Ade @ Jan 3 2008, 11:28 AM)
a bearded Paulo as one of the 'rescuers', the one who implies that rescue isn't exactly "their primary objective". But I may well be mistaken. I mean, he was buried alive, right?

Definitely not him. His face is a different person.
thirtyhelens
Nup. That was Jeremy Davies.
Ade
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jan 3 2008, 01:39 PM)
Definitely not him. His face is a different person.
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Jan 3 2008, 07:04 PM)
Nup.  That was Jeremy Davies.

Cheers peeps, I figured I'd be way off the mark.
Ade
New video snippet, Sam's Video Diary 1 just been added to ABC.com's Lost page....
Peronel
It's Rodger Corser!
Ade
If you want to while away the time leading up to Season 4's return, and uncover a few additional tidbits of clues etc, take a gander at FIND 815, which is a neat interactive site broadening on the teasers hinted at in Sam's Video Diaries (as seen on the ABC Lost site).

Aside from nosing through his emails, listening to his mobile phone messages, there are other little tasks and puzzles to decipher which go on to uncover additional, specially filmed sequences. All rather good fun, and a little excitement in the lead up to 31st January.

Expect further mentions of Hanso, the Black Rock, as well as further mysteries and suspicious goings-on.
Ade
*bump*

Well, it's only a couple or three days away, folks!

Anybody been following the adventures of Sam Thomas at www.find815.com ?

More to the point, have any UK viewers spotted the LOST promo teasers on Sky One? The animated In-flight Emergency Instuction Card ones? They're only about 8-10 seconds long, if that. Saw a couple of them this evening, around 9pm.
Peronel
I'm excited! Hopefully it will be 'Streamed direct' here, as they did with a few things last year. Otherwise my downloading is going up, up, up!
Ade
So, is anybody else getting geared up for tonight's premiere, then?
thirtyhelens
*raises hand*

Though it's running second in the excitement stakes to the debate. wink.gif BUT, I'm quite pleased to actually have some new dramatic television to look forward to. It's starting to feel like an alien concept...
Julie
Is that Bobby Beamer?
Peronel
Grrr argh...not on til Feb 7th here. Damn you to hell, Channel seven. And they'll treat it like crap, too, taking episodes off all the time.

I shall be downloading.
thirtyhelens
Well done, LostCo. Well done indeed.

Just enough answers, just enough withheld, and an excellently complex arrangement of morals across the board. Is Locke a fucking loony?! Maybe... but he's right. He's right this time! And who's going with who, and who's not going with who... oy. I'm still not certain why Desmond didn't go with Locke, tho since he knows it's not Penny's boat. Hell, if Sawyer's going...

Even amidst the mysteries, it feels like there's a real sense of purpose to the writing now, whereas there wasn't for so long last year. Let's hope they keep it up.
Peronel
Very impressive. I did me a little gasp when Charlie (looking like sex on legs, btw) turned up at the hospital, but looking back it should have been freakin' obvious.

I forgot how angry Jack makes me. Wanders in, swinging his fists at whoever diasgrees with him. And he killed Locke! Well, he would have, iif it had been loaded. What a JackAss.
Atara
I WANT LOST.

Mother dear id recording it all onto DVD for me untill I move home.
Jimmay
Holy Moly that was rather good wasn't it. Leaves a lot of new questions though. I think the mystery for this series will be who the oceanic six are. We already have Jack, Kate and Hugo, but who are the other three. And of course, what happened to the rest of them? That "Oceanic guy" who asked Hurley if the others were still alive would make me think that only 6 left the island and the rest of them stayed. But seeing as the group split and Jack and Hurley were in different groups, then it must be something else that divides them.

Gawd, I don't know. On writing all that I realise that there are just as many questions as before. Bloody Lost.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.