Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Media Odds and Sods
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
grumpygit
Sir Paul's squirrel 'to be shot'
Hobbes
Don't know if anyone else has seen this, but Empire's done another Cryptic film picture quiz type thing on their website. I'm on 33 out of 50 thus far, I enjoy these things though I never finish them all. Doubtless a few folks on here will be able to get full marks.
maian
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jun 19 2009, 10:14 PM) *
Don't know if anyone else has seen this, but Empire's done another Cryptic film picture quiz type thing on their website. I'm on 33 out of 50 thus far, I enjoy these things though I never finish them all. Doubtless a few folks on here will be able to get full marks.

Up to 42 at the moment, though I seem to have hit a brick wall at this point.

Ooh, 43. Just got one that's been annoying me for a while.

46 now and the last four are really pissing me off.
Hobbes
40 now. I'm really annoyed by the cheerleaders, the thing on the floor next to them (I don't even know what it is) and the train are annoying me most. What are you stuck on?
maian
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jun 19 2009, 11:15 PM) *
40 now. I'm really annoyed by the cheerleaders, the thing on the floor next to them (I don't even know what it is) and the train are annoying me most. What are you stuck on?

Cheerleaders, the guy next to them (looks like a guy next to a gun?), the chart on the fishtank and the three tiny girls next to the family. The train one took me ages, but it's pretty simple once you figure out what the guy is doing to it.

Edit: Just figured out the tiny girls, now it's just the cheerleaders, the thing next to them and the chart.
Hobbes
QUOTE (maian @ Jun 19 2009, 11:17 PM) *
Cheerleaders, the guy next to them (looks like a guy next to a gun?), the chart on the fishtank and the three tiny girls next to the family. The train one took me ages, but it's pretty simple once you figure out what the guy is doing to it.

I haven't got the chart one either, the train is hurting my eyes. The tiny girls are easy to get if you think about synonyms.

The guy's painting the train but I cannot think of it at all. Also missing the flower in the black bird's beak, the windmill, the plane and the two signs net to the train on the right.
maian
Okay, the cheerleaders and the thing next to them are one clue. I'm on 47 and all that's left are them, the chart and the woman shredding books.
Hobbes
QUOTE (maian @ Jun 19 2009, 11:22 PM) *
Okay, the cheerleaders and the thing next to them are one clue. I'm on 47 and all that's left are them, the chart and the woman shredding books.

You've done well to get that far. Someone painting a train is not ringing a bell, and this one is the one annoying me the most.
maian
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jun 19 2009, 11:30 PM) *
You've done well to get that far. Someone painting a train is not ringing a bell, and this one is the one annoying me the most.

I was going along that route as well. All I can say is that you should think about what shapes he is painting on the train.
Hobbes
QUOTE (maian @ Jun 19 2009, 11:33 PM) *
I was going along that route as well. All I can say is that you should think about what shapes he is painting on the train.

I'm now beginning to think it's a film I've never heard of now, which is probably a defeatist attitude.
maian
No, it's very famous. And it has 'Train' in the title.

Also:

The guy's painting the train but I cannot think of it at all. Also missing the flower in the black bird's beak, the windmill, the plane and the two signs net to the train on the right.

The bird itself is the answer. Think about what kind of bird it is.
Hobbes
QUOTE (maian @ Jun 19 2009, 11:44 PM) *
No, it's very famous. And it has 'Train' in the title.

Also:

The bird itself is the answer. Think about what kind of bird it is.

I have the bird itself, but the flower itself is also one, and I can't get it.
maian
That's weird, because with that, the chart, the woman with the books and the cheerleaders, that comes to 51 clues.
Hobbes
QUOTE (maian @ Jun 19 2009, 11:56 PM) *
That's weird, because with that, the chart, the woman with the books and the cheerleaders, that comes to 51 clues.

Click it yourself and see, it comes up as a clue for me...
maian
I did, and that still means that there are 51 clues. That's weird.
Hobbes
Maybe it's a secret one for extra points or something?

The train is literally killing me. I hate it when I look at something this long without getting it. Can't even think of movies with the word in the title. Brain hurts more than a little.

edit: the maths chart on the tank I got by cheating, it's a maths-based clue and something I never would have gotten being shit at maths. It's the Matrix if you can't get it. The book woman is Pulp Fiction and the cheerleaders is attack of the clones

edit 2: got the train. I was so pent up on the words 'circle' and 'red' that I had massive trouble with it.
maian
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jun 20 2009, 12:05 AM) *
edit: the maths chart on the tank I got by cheating, it's a maths-based clue and something I never would have gotten being shit at maths. It's the Matrix if you can't get it. The book woman is Pulp Fiction and the cheerleaders is attack of the clones

Ooh, those are some sneaky clues. I got incredibly close to the cheerleaders one, though, I wrote ''Revenge of the Sith'' as a 'Shit, I don't have a clue' answer. Just one film off.
beatoswald
The Untied States of America - "TV's maddest documentary-maker, Adam Curtis, aims to immerse us in the break-up of the American Dream in Manchester. Charlie Brooker tunes in."
whitey
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jun 20 2009, 12:05 AM) *
and the cheerleaders is attack of the clones

How is that in any way that? Fuck you Empire and fuck your cheating bullshit quiz.

Could you guys put me out of my misery? I can't get the dudes with the stretcher with the flag on it, the family or the flower in the bird's mouth. And presumably there's two others I just can't find because I've only got 45 so far.

QUOTE (beatoswald @ Jun 20 2009, 04:31 AM) *
The Untied States of America - "TV's maddest documentary-maker, Adam Curtis, aims to immerse us in the break-up of the American Dream in Manchester. Charlie Brooker tunes in."

"not suitable for those of a nervous disposition"

That's me out then.
sweetbutinsane
I'm not very good at this; I've only managed 23 so far and I've been playing for a while now.
Hobbes
QUOTE (whitey @ Jun 20 2009, 04:39 AM) *
How is that in any way that? Fuck you Empire and fuck your cheating bullshit quiz.

Could you guys put me out of my misery? I can't get the dudes with the stretcher with the flag on it, the family or the flower in the bird's mouth. And presumably there's two others I just can't find because I've only got 45 so far.

I know, that is a bastard of a clue, so difficult to get.

The family is two clues, one's the three little girls (Little Children) and the other is the two guys with the kids (Children of Men). The stretcher man is The English Patient, the flower is Iris. Not sure what else you've missed though, maybe the plane at the top?
mcraigclark
The cheerleaders clue is shit. I had to cheat on that one. I got caught up on Walk the Line and Flags of our Fathers.

Also, isn't Enter the Dragon too old for the quiz?
Llama
Draw a giraffe!
Ade
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jun 19 2009, 10:14 PM) *
Empire's done another Cryptic film picture quiz type thing on their website.

Well, I've managed 38 in one sitting thus far. My brain needs a rest.
Jon 79
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jun 23 2009, 07:52 PM) *

That'd be cool.
...or possibly more interesting, from the same website:
THE FABULOUS PICTURE SHOW

You are invited to join us for The Fabulous Picture Show, where our audience attend the screenings and discussions of forthcoming cutting-edge feature films from around the world.

Previous screenings have included, 'Under the Bombs', 'The Battle for Haditha', 'L'Ennemi Intime', 'Captain Abu Raed', 'Children of Glory', 'Heavy Metal in Baghdad', 'The Escapist', 'Postcards from Tora Bora', 'Sleep Dealer', 'Mongol' and 'Frost Nixon'.

After the screenings, audience members the chance to discuss the issues raised by the films with their directors and stars in Q&A sessions hosted by journalist Amanda Palmer.

If you would like to be informed when the next screening will take place, then register your interest now!
Kick in the Head
Dench Cuss! - guess some people are uncomfortable hearing Judi Dench swear much as they would be hearing their mams f-ing and blinding. Not my Mum; she's got a wonderful potty mouth.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jun 24 2009, 11:17 AM) *
Dench Cuss! - guess some people are uncomfortable hearing Judi Dench swear

Well that's just fucking ridiculous.
Jessopjessopjessop
Miraculous folding plug!

http://rmarsden.livejournal.com/16364.html
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jun 24 2009, 03:47 PM) *

She's going to be so f'n rich!

That's genius.
Hobbes
I really hope that takes off, brilliant little invention.
widowspider
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jun 24 2009, 02:47 PM) *

That's amazing. She should make a shitload of money from that.
sweetbutinsane
Seconded.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jun 24 2009, 03:47 PM) *

That's what inventing is all about. I hope to God that she's patented that successfully.
Sostie
I find simple inventions like this more inspiring than more intricate ones. Well done that girl.
Sostie
Oscars to feature 10 nominations in the Best Picture Category next year.

http://www.moviemaker.com/producing/articl...scars_20090624/
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 25 2009, 09:52 AM) *
I find simple inventions like this more inspiring than more intricate ones. Well done that girl.

Even the video is good. It was like making the discovery yourself!
Bloomeeney
Cryptic film quiz thingy

OK cheated on a few but

Still can't get 6 though - the three c's, old people sign, airplane at top of screen, 2 musical instruments, the cars and I cannot even see where the final one is!

Help anyone?
Wife Of Rolex
A Spaced Out Boosh/Dance Off?
Sean of the Dead
QUOTE (Bloomeeney @ Jun 25 2009, 03:58 PM) *
Cryptic film quiz thingy

OK cheated on a few but

Still can't get 6 though - the three c's, old people sign, airplane at top of screen, 2 musical instruments, the cars and I cannot even see where the final one is!

Help anyone?

Having completed it weeks ago, here are the answers to those, should you so wish to have them spoiled:
300; No Country For Old Men; Snakes on a Plane; Liar, Liar; Traffic and I think that final one might be Attack of the Clones.
It was clearly well worth staying up till 3 in the morning with my friends all those days ago.
logger
V remake First I've heard of this. Probably poo. Decent cast though.
dandan
there's two 'v' productions going on; one is kenneth johnson's continuation of the original mini series (he left after that, when the budget was slashed), then there's the abc version.

having had a look around, it seems as if johnson's version has fallen by the wayside...
Zoe
This is really old, but it's what got me interested in Stephen King.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf583luApR4

The whole interview is amazing and fascinating, and you can find all the parts on there, but skip to about 7 and a half minutes to see Stephen King scaring Mark Lawson.
logger
50 greatest trailers of all time, ever
logger
Woo, double post! I'm awesome.

Proof there is no God

I've got to find me a way to shovel some shit to morons if this is the reward.
sweetbutinsane
Urgh, it makes me feel sick just thinking about it.
logger
Hidden meaning of The Shining

Quite a bit of interesting stuff in there, although it is long and rambling and the author is something of a horrible tosser who isn't the greatest writer. Plus it's green text on a black background and will destroy your eyes. For anyone who can't be bothered reading the whole thing but wants to know what the "real" hidden meaning of the film is, it's the Mayan prediction of the appocalypse.
logger
More The Shining theories: Physical Cosmologies

Again, some interesting stuff, mainly to do with the framing of shots and camera movements to create "motion-glyphs" and their effects on the subconscious of the viewer. Again like the other theory the author becomes obstinate about what the "real" meaning of the film is and starts to apply their meanings to things. And again both theories become over-analytical.

I haven't read all the way through this one because, y'know, who cares, but if you are going to read either of these theories I suggest going through this one first/only. If you ignore a lot of the guy's theories there is actually a lot of interesting stuff about the framing of shots and such. Plus this guy seems a lot less of a douche. The guy in the previous blog spends a lot of time pointing out how he's the only person to have worked out what it's all about and how anybody who disagrees with him (it has to be a man) is either jealous or stupid.
Jimmay
An amazing music video that I had to share with you all. Guaranteed to raise a smile.
mcraigclark
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jul 7 2009, 06:25 PM) *
An amazing music video that I had to share with you all. Guaranteed to raise a smile.

Yes yes yes. That's excellent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.