Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Media Odds and Sods
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
curtinparloe
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Nov 8 2007, 05:17 PM)
"You coming to Woolworths, Joe?"
"Woolworths? I'm not going to Woolworths. I've got to get home, it's late, I'm in for it as it is!"

Nice work!

I use "you must do what you feel is right, of course..." all the time.

QUOTE (Raven @ Nov 8 2007, 11:22 PM)
Looks like the writer's strike is really beginning to bite - 24 now looks as though it will be pushed back to the 2008/9 season! 

Which domino is going to fall next?

- Family Guy to go off air as of Sunday

Boo!
GundamGuy_UK
Can anyone identify the name of the music that kicks in at about 2 minutes here?

There's a better quality (and the exact version I want) in this video, but be warned - stop watching at 40 seconds.

This music crops up in so many things and I've no idea what it's called or what it's from.
Jimmay
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Nov 16 2007, 02:18 PM)
Can anyone identify the name of the music that kicks in at about 2 minutes here?

There's a better quality (and the exact version I want) in this video, but be warned - stop watching at 40 seconds.

This music crops up in so many things and I've no idea what it's called or what it's from.

HAHAHAHA I knew what the song was going to be before I even watched the clip. What with it being a fan film trailer there was only one song that it could possibly be.

It is in fact Lux Aeterna from the film Requiem for Dream. I think that somewhere, in some book of guidelines on how to make a fan film trailer, there is a law that says you HAVE to use this piece of music.

It is rather good though.
Raven
I've heard it several times before as well.

It may have come from one of the early Lord of the Rings trailers, but for some reason I'm also reminded of something like Crimson Tide [/notmuchhelpatall].

EDIT:

[/beatentoitbysomeonequickerandmoreknowledgeable] wink.gif
Omniscia
Yeah, that track's right up there with Carl Orff's "O Fortuna" and James Horner's "Aliens" score on the list of overused trailer music.

There's a nice list on this site if you ever want to identify a piece of music used in a film trailer, by the way.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Nov 16 2007, 02:25 PM)
HAHAHAHA I knew what the song was going to be before I even watched the clip.  What with it being a fan film trailer there was only one song that it could possibly be. 

It is in fact Lux Aeterna from the film Requiem for Dream.  I think that somewhere, in some book of guidelines on how to make a fan film trailer, there is a law that says you HAVE to use this piece of music.

It is rather good though.

Thanks.
Omniscia
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Nov 16 2007, 10:25 AM)
I think that somewhere, in some book of guidelines on how to make a fan film trailer, there is a law that says you HAVE to use this piece of music.

Either that or Katrina and the Waves's "Walking on Sunshine."
Jimmay
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Nov 16 2007, 03:02 PM)
Either that or Katrina and the Waves's "Walking on Sunshine."

That must be the rule then. Requieum for Epic, Katrina for Comedy.
Zoe
First pictures from 'The Sarah Connor Chronicles'

Ooooooh
Raven
Psst! We have an SJ thread!

Looks good though!
Zoe
QUOTE (Raven @ Nov 18 2007, 12:57 AM)

Stop showing off.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 17 2007, 03:03 PM)

And the collective tummy of the entire Firefly fandom just did a funny.
rabbit57i
ewwww!

Believe it or not, it;s Tom Cruise. We heard the low grosses for Lions or Lambs had him worried, but we didn't think it took THIS much of a toll on him! In fact, it's Cruise in a wig and fat suit to play a movie mogul in Ben Stiller's new comedy Tropic Thunder. You could have fooled us - we thought he was starring in The James Lipton Story!
Zoe
Ludicrous.

I think people can tell the difference between a TV show and an album/song. I doubt many people got home after buying the Life on Mars DVD to be shocked they hadn't got the Bowie album they'd gone in the shop for. And as for "unjust enrichment", that's equally stupid. Like me saying I buy polo mints because of their association with Ralph Lauren. Besides which, it's a fucking awful song.

It makes them look like greedy nobheads.

When did the world (i.e. America) become so revoltingly litigious?
empathy-with-beast
I don't know, it might be unjust enrichment, they're selling a product the name of which someone else may have made up. All the hard work the RHCP put into making up a song name is being leeched off.

When I was doing placement with a law firm Eshaw were sued by that company that have a phone and a mouse on wheels (Direct Line?) because they said having the Eshaw mouse driving a computer mouse was diloution of their brand etc etc. Makes someone stealing a name sound quite reasonable grounds.
Zoe
Californication is a portmanteau of California and fornication, written about in Time on August 21, 1972 and seen on bumper stickers in the U.S. states of Colorado and Oregon. It refers primarily to "haphazard, mindless development that has already gobbled up most of Southern California".
Sostie
I for one fully support RHCP's court action and hope they plough a lot of their own personal fortune into the case. Mainly because I want to see the look on the boring smug wankers' faces when they lose.

Where will it end?

Joe Orton's estate filing suit against a sale/wants ads newspaper?
rabbit57i
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Nov 19 2007, 10:05 PM)

I just think it's odd that they waited this long. To be honest, I thought of them when I first heard of the show but not anymore. Maybe that's there problem, people are thinking of the show instead.
Sostie
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Nov 20 2007, 04:22 PM)
I just think it's odd that they waited this long. To be honest, I thought of them when I first heard of the show but not anymore. Maybe that's there problem, people are thinking of the show instead.

Funny thing is, when I see a dog take a shit in the street, I think of the Red Hot Chili Peppers !

It's swings and roundabouts.
Zoe
When I think of the Red Hot Chili Peppers I feel the need to punch someone in the face.

I'm going to sue them for the legal fees relating to my many charges for assault.

They didn't invent the phrase! Nobs, nobs, greedy nobs.

I'm off to drive home in my VW Polo, while eating a packet of Polos and wearing a Ralph Lauren 'Polo' Polo shirt, then I'm going to watch and listen to the album and TV show 'Life on Mars' simultaneously.

Because I'm friggin' worth it - are Loreal going to sue me now? Let 'em. I'll just put on the Chilis for a bit and I'll be ready for a punching.
Sostie
If only there was an invertebrate/insect court of law. They could sue the wanky bass player.

"Wanky" is a word I always found described them so well. Better not use it too much. There's probably some Chinese guy somewhere that will sue me.
Zoe
I am going to take them to court for the confusion I've suffered due to every one of their songs sounding exactly the same.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 20 2007, 02:16 AM)

When the first Pilgrim stepped off the boat? laugh.gif

QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Nov 20 2007, 08:22 AM)
I just think it's odd that they waited this long. To be honest, I thought of them when I first heard of the show but not anymore.

Agreed. They're local boys, surely they heard about it when the show was still in production.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 20 2007, 05:16 AM)

When that woman sued McDonalds after she dumped hot coffee on her twot. If someone can be awarded $2.9 million because she's clumsy then you can sue for anything.
maian
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Nov 20 2007, 05:41 PM)
When the first Pilgrim stepped off the boat? laugh.gif

He didn't step off, he fell and sued the captain.
Omniscia
QUOTE (maian @ Nov 21 2007, 09:15 AM)
He didn't step off, he fell and sued the captain.

No, he sued the natives for criminal negligence in leaving such a dangerous rock just laying there, where anyone could trip over it!
rabbit57i
Munchkins Get Walk Of Fame Star

rabbit57i
Oops. David Lynch Should Learn German
melzilla
QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 20 2007, 04:41 PM)
I am going to take them to court for the confusion I've suffered due to every one of their songs sounding exactly the same.

.....and all being about about fucking California!
Perhaps it's their intention to brainwash people into thinking they invented the entire state through their songs and thus claiming ownership.

QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Nov 21 2007, 03:10 PM)

That is ace!
Raven
Good to see they are still dressing down . . .

*cough*
curtinparloe
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Nov 21 2007, 07:39 PM)

Oops indeed.
Omniscia
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Nov 21 2007, 03:39 PM)

That stuff seems to be making a comeback, all of a sudden. We recently had a Maharishi Invincibility Center and Maharishi Peace Palace open here.
Drifter
I see the Beeb is going to remake Terry Nation's 'Survivors'

SURVIVORS
Jubei
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Nov 21 2007, 03:10 PM)

QUOTE (telegraph)
the Munchkins secured their place in Hollywood history and in the hearts of movie fans everywhere

In their hearts? Not mine. In my nightmares more like. Look at them. Look at them!*

*I really really am going to hell aren't I? I don't know what's wrong with me today.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Drifter @ Nov 23 2007, 12:36 PM)
I see the Beeb is going to remake Terry Nation's 'Survivors'

SURVIVORS

I wonder if anyone outside the middle classes will survive this time without turning evil.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Jubei @ Nov 23 2007, 09:37 AM)
QUOTE (telegraph)
the Munchkins secured their place in Hollywood history and in the hearts of movie fans everywhere

In their hearts? Not mine. In my nightmares more like. Look at them. Look at them!

laugh.gif
Drifter
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Nov 23 2007, 06:57 PM)
I wonder if anyone outside the middle classes will survive this time without turning evil.

It was a good idea that was poorly executed, it went down pretty quickly. I hear the remake is being written by the same bloke responsible for Primeval, I watched about two episodes of that before switching off. Id imagine the remake would be 28 Days Later in episodic form, Im not against the idea, I hope that they dont make it too PC whilst bringing it up to date.
logger
Stephen King is a douche.

A lot of times, filmmakers don't really seem to understand ordinary people. I think there's a reason that David Lynch has never made a Stephen King film, or John Waters, because they don't really get ordinary people.
Raven
Tom Cruise is boring - Official!

Who the hell would want to read that anyway?
logger
QUOTE (Raven @ Nov 29 2007, 02:00 PM)
Tom Cruise is boring - Official!

Who the hell would want to read that anyway?

I saw the Lindsey Lohan bio today. That would be more interesting than Tom Cruise though.
maian
Martin Scorsese makes an unmade Hitchcock film

Very clever.
Omniscia
QUOTE (maian @ Dec 6 2007, 01:39 PM)

Very nice, right down to the spot-on visual and audible references. I was particularly amused by the initials on the handkerchief.
Raven
QUOTE (maian @ Dec 6 2007, 05:39 PM)

Very good indeed.
thirtyhelens
You know, some of the "Speechless" WGA support campaign shorts are really, really good:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user...chlesshollywood

Especially Laura Linney, Benjamin & Prentiss, and the Woodman.
Jessopjessopjessop
thirtyhelens
And UN inspectors today were denied permission to inspect the grounds of Tehran's Circle Line station...
Jubei
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Dec 7 2007, 05:09 PM)

An interesting picture, although they've had to take serious licence with actual geography to get it all to fit. I wasn't aware Liverpool was in Wales or that Baghdad was in Northern India.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.