Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Media Odds and Sods
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
maian
Neither did I. I just assumed that - as the article says - he's just really focused on his work. Even watching it last night with that theory in mind, I just couldn't see it.
Zoe
Oh who's he trying to kid?

All famous (and semi-famous) comedians are knee-deep in it, this loser in love thing only increases the pile of available fangirls.

I nearly fell for it Richardson, nearly...
Raven
That link is not working . . .

YouTube's recommended account of the day last Friday: meekakitty.

For a large part this is just a teenager talking random twaddle to camera, but I'm amazed at the imagination and editing that has been put into this vlog.
Llama
Bing Maps shits all over Google Maps.

Amazing! You can play with a lot of it already but you may have to install a couple of plug-ins to use the 3D and the 'street view' equivalent. The Photosynths are awesome, I had a play around with it looking at the Statue of Liberty.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Zoe @ Feb 12 2010, 11:16 AM) *
I have to say I've never thought he was gay.

Me neither. He's just "Sheldon".
Serafina_Pekkala
Ebert is a very candid, brave man. Kudos.

QUOTE (Zoe @ Feb 15 2010, 11:09 AM) *
Oh who's he trying to kid?

All famous (and semi-famous) comedians are knee-deep in it, this loser in love thing only increases the pile of available fangirls.

I nearly fell for it Richardson, nearly...

Ha - the 'nice guys' persona - fool proof not quite. He sounds OCD and a bit Aspergers. I know more than one comedian with similar tendencies. Funny, that.
Everlong
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Feb 17 2010, 03:02 PM) *
Ebert is a very candid, brave man. Kudos.

Indeed, very brave.
Zoe
Anyone else fill in the BBC trust survey about Radio 2 and 6music?

Results came via email on Monday

The results of BBC Trust review of Radio 2 and 6 Music
As you know last summer the BBC Trust ran a public consultation to get your views on Radio 2 and its sister station 6 Music. We are very grateful that you took the time to take part. We have used the results of this consultation alongside our audience research to arrive at our conclusions regarding these two services. Today we have published our report.

Radio 2
With around 13 million listeners each week, Radio 2 is the nation’s most popular radio station. Our review has concluded that there is an opportunity to use the station’s appeal and influence to take more creative risks and be more distinctive, particularly in daytime, even though this more ambitious approach carries with it the risk that audience numbers could fall. This means, for example, refreshing comedy and arts programming and integrating some of this distinctive content into the peak time schedule.

We’d like the station to do more to appeal to audiences who are currently less likely to listen, including ethnic minorities, and it should also promote the benefits of newer technologies such as digital and internet radio.

Radio 2’s remit is to appeal to everyone over 35 but commercial radio stations have raised concerns that Radio 2 is targeting younger people at the expense of older listeners. We’ve found that the average age of a Radio 2 listener is 50 and have asked the station to ensure that this does not fall. We’ve also asked BBC management to address the recent decline in listeners aged over 65.

6 Music
6 Music is well liked by its listeners, although these are relatively few in number. Over the last four years the station’s audience has grown faster than any other BBC digital radio-only service but the station is still only reaching one per cent of all UK adults. Low audience is compounded by low awareness, with just 20 per cent of all adults aware that the station exists.

The Trust’s report has concluded that the station should raise awareness and grow its audience. In doing so it should also seek to attract enthusiasts of alternative popular music from audience groups which are currently less likely to listen, particularly older listeners.

Audiences believe that 6 Music offers something which is not available on other radio stations and analysis shows that there is very little song overlap between Radio 2, 6 Music, Radio 1 and commercial radio.

The challenge for 6 Music is to grow its audience without changing the aspects which currently set it apart from other radio stations. One of the ways the station should do this is by ensuring presenters are not only popular but also have musical credibility to act as trusted guides for alternative music enthusiasts.

Both Radio 2 and 6 Music are taking steps to become more efficient and plan to save around £14 million by 2013. The Trust will closely monitor these savings and report progress in our annual report.

You can read the full report of our findings and recommendations by clicking here http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/our_work/ser...r2_6music.shtml

Thanks again for taking the time to give us your views.

Trust mailing list
If you would like to register to receive e-mail updates from the BBC Trust, including alerts to forthcoming consultations, please click here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/news/email_updates/index.shtml
maian
The description of his artery bursting in his hospital room actually made me feel ill when I read it at work.

Incidentally, the episode that Ebert references in which he paid tribute to Gene Siskel, and which was subsequently deleted from his moving journal tribute, can be seen in three parts on YouTube. It's well worth checking out.
PrincessKate
More Wil in Big Bang Theory? Oh, go on then...
This makes me happy.
Raven
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Feb 20 2010, 10:27 PM) *

Couldn't see that coming.

Katee Sackhoff's cameo the other week was very amusing!
monkeyman
Heh, it was a brilliant cameo. Glad to see Walowitz getting someone as well.
logger
Iraq veterans: The Hurt Locker isn't reality

I agree films like this have a certain responsibility but quite a lot of things in The Hurt Locker are obviously unrealistic that you would have to be a moron to think they were, and have quite clearly been done for dramatic effect. The scene with Jeremy Renner's character sneaking off base to chase a boy he is worried about is as fictional as Jason Bourne and is not representative of the real military experience in Iraq. this is actually one of the most important scene in the film as a metaphor for the US's role in Iraq, where like the character, they don't know what they're doing, what they're looking for, or even what they'll do when they find it, they just know they're pissed off.

Then again the guy in the article is just trying to get the veterans' point of view across.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (logger @ Feb 25 2010, 12:56 PM) *
Iraq veterans: The Hurt Locker isn't reality

I agree films like this have a certain responsibility but quite a lot of things in The Hurt Locker are obviously unrealistic that you would have to be a moron to think they were, and have quite clearly been done for dramatic effect. The scene with Jeremy Renner's character sneaking off base to chase a boy he is worried about is as fictional as Jason Bourne and is not representative of the real military experience in Iraq. this is actually one of the most important scene in the film as a metaphor for the US's role in Iraq, where like the character, they don't know what they're doing, what they're looking for, or even what they'll do when they find it, they just know they're pissed off.

Then again the guy in the article is just trying to get the veterans' point of view across.

Yes I see the dilemma - and the article is far less whiny that similar one from HuffPo. Whiny? In HuffPo? Never. There is a difference in getting things wrong and taking artistic license. Wearing the wrong uniform is silly but part of film-making visuals. Also, Renner plays a maverick so he is hardly reflective of the average soldier. It isn't a documentary - or even 'based on a true story'. It's a dramarama.
PrincessKate
And the tiny ginger love God Seth Green is off the market.
gulfcoast_highwayman
He's found a hot nerd, the holy grail!
logger
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Feb 26 2010, 08:35 AM) *
He's found a hot nerd, the holy grail!

What, it doesn't exist? lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Sean of the Dead
Noooooooooo!
gulfcoast_highwayman
Don't worry! BBC 3 is safe! mad.gif
curtinparloe
QUOTE (Zoe @ Feb 17 2010, 04:30 PM) *
Anyone else fill in the BBC trust survey about Radio 2 and 6music?

Results came via email on Monday...

QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Feb 26 2010, 10:57 AM) *

Well something doesn't add up there...
Zoe
Yeah, I know! I don't know why I bothered.
logger
Do you think 6music would be more popular if it was available on analogue radios?
Llama
All I care about is what's going to happen to Adam and Joe. Will they just be moved to another station? I can't live without them.
monkeyman
No 6Music means no Adam and Joe sad.gif. Well unless they move somewhere else.
Everlong
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Feb 26 2010, 12:24 PM) *
No 6Music means no Adam and Joe sad.gif. Well unless they move somewhere else.

No 6music would be crap in general sad.gif
Zoe
I go through stages with it.

I like Adam and Joe and Jon Holmes a lot, but I do get sick of the generally smugness of the station sometimes.

I switched back to radio 4 in the mornings in the run up to Christmas because of their incessant championing of the RATM 'campaign' and I haven't switched back.

That said, though there is a lot of shit on the playlist, it's the closest there is to my musical taste and I'd be sad to see it go.

Iain Lee on Absolute is better.
Kick in the Head
I'm more worried about Mad Men being carted off to some other channel without an iPlayer equivalent. It's weird that they suggest quality over quantity when the cutbacks seem to be in the areas where there is genuine quality. BBC Four would be first to go before BBC Three sadly, even just for the sake of numeracy.
Ade
QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Feb 26 2010, 10:57 AM) *

Bugger.

I think the word on the street at the moment is that The Arts in general are going to suffer hefty funding cutbacks over the next couple of years (and not just within the BBC), what with the 2012 Olympics on the horizon. Still, doesn't sweeten the sour any.
Llama
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Feb 26 2010, 12:24 PM) *
Well unless they move somewhere else.

They better do!
widowspider
QUOTE (Ade @ Feb 26 2010, 01:24 PM) *
Bugger.

I think the word on the street at the moment is that The Arts in general are going to suffer hefty funding cutbacks over the next couple of years (and not just within the BBC), what with the 2012 Olympics on the horizon. Still, doesn't sweeten the sour any.

Always the way. Arts generally get the shaft in times of financial strife.
Zoe
Our funding model is the future, I think.
widowspider
QUOTE (Zoe @ Feb 26 2010, 03:55 PM) *
Our funding model is the future, I think.

You mean it actually funds things?
Zoe
The concept is a mixed-use development, allowing us to have an arts centre without reliance on public funding. It is a partly public and cultural building consisting of a public ground floor area and two lower floors devoted to the arts and seven floors of offices above (my boss is also the landlord so rents the offices to The Guardian/Network Rail etc.)
PrincessKate
Why you should watch Pineapple Dance Studios
Or "Pinapple" as it says on the headline.
My favourite description is "Snood wearing fantasist"
Everlong
James Corden: "Horne and Corden was a mistake"

Indeed. Nice to see he can tell when his own work is crap, and also that he doesn't give a shit about having personal insults flung at him.

I did enjoy Gavin and Stacey though.
Serafina_Pekkala
James Corden is a mistake.
Starscream`s Ghost
Because I'd forgotten all about him...

Really, Sean? People were forgetting who John Lennon was?

I'm not a huge Beatles fan, I just don't like to see dead people resurrected just to sell crap cars. I don't like the Marilyn Monroe ad, either.

Here's an example of ad people getting it right, though: Monkhouse
logger
I was only saying last night, are John Lennon and Marilyn Monroe really people you want to take advice from?
Starscream`s Ghost
If you love the BBC, you need to watch this.

NSFW.
Raven
SFX Top 25 Science Fiction and Fantasy Movies 2010.

Bit of an odd list, does nobody like Close Encounters anymore?
NiteFall
Am I still the only person in the world who hates Labyrinth and thinks that The Terminator is infinitely better than Terminator 2?
Zoe
I agree on your second point
maian
I've never seen Labyrinth, but I do think that The Terminator is a better film than T2.
monkeyman
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Mar 6 2010, 03:30 PM) *

I do like this show but I still don't get it. As in, some is real and some isn't right?

And I don't just mean the song and dance numbers being fake.
NiteFall
Having rewatched Terminator 2 recently all I could think was "how shit is Edward Furlong?" every time he appeared on screen. And he is, he single handedly destroys that film for me with his unspeakable crapness. Also the script is piss poor compared to the awesome of the first one.

No, no, no, no. You gotta listen to the way people talk. You don't say "affirmative," or some shit like that. You say "no problemo." And if someone comes on to you with an attitude you say "eat me." And if you want to shine them on it's "hasta la vista, baby."

vs

Listen, and understand. That Terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

No contest. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.