Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Media Odds and Sods
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
dandan
QUOTE (Jubei @ Dec 11 2007, 08:32 AM)
An interesting picture, although they've had to take serious licence with actual geography to get it all to fit.

so, just like the actual underground map...
Baz
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Dec 7 2007, 05:09 PM)

That's pretty cool, it there a bigger version?
Jubei
QUOTE (dandan @ Dec 11 2007, 09:21 AM)
so, just like the actual underground map...

Yep, although I don't know london geography whereas I do know world geography, so I can see the errors, rather than just know they're there.
logger
QUOTE (Jubei @ Dec 11 2007, 08:32 AM)
I wasn't aware Liverpool was in Wales or that Baghdad was in Northern India.

Or that Jerusalem was a thousand miles east of Dubai.
Drifter
Liverpool may as well be in north wales, theres enough of them here
Raven
Metropolis To Be Remade.
maian
WGA Award nominations announced

Good showings from The Sopranos, The Wire, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Flight of the Conchords.

It's a shame that most writers for animated shows aren't WGA members since the category does seem rather biased towards The Simpsons.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Baz @ Dec 11 2007, 10:22 AM)
That's pretty cool, it there a bigger version?

That's from the book, and if you order it online you can get a poster-sized version. Otherwise, try searching for a better scan.

As for it not looking like the world...totally missing the point!
Jubei
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Dec 14 2007, 11:05 AM)
That's from the book, and if you order it online you can get a poster-sized version. Otherwise, try searching for a better scan.

As for it not looking like the world...totally missing the point!

I know, but some bits are so wrong it's hard to see why they put them where they are. The middle east and India is completely mixed up.
rabbit57i
Stephen Fry panto "has too much filth"
Zoe
The Telegraph is a horrible Tory rag, I would consider a bad review from them a badge of honour.
NiteFall
For once I am in complete agreement with Zoe.
Zoe
How nice to be thought of as generally disagreeable.

A bit like The Telegraph.
NiteFall
I don't find you disagreeable in the least. I just happen to disagree with you on quite a lot.

Those are different things aren't they?
Zoe
I disagree.
NiteFall
I thought you might.
rabbit57i
"Greatest Ever Disaster Movies" To Air On Channel 5
Raven
Knight Rider Teaser - and it looks as bad as it sounds . . .
NiteFall
"Mike"?!
rabbit57i
James Bond Postage Stamps

Svein
QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 27 2007, 09:30 PM)
Knight Rider Teaser - and it looks as bad as it sounds . . .

That's rather scary...
dandan
good stuff dolan, if i hadn't given up watching television, i'm sure i'd agree with it all...
fear_of_pop
What's that music on the Finding Neverland TV ad, currently on BBC?

Is it Elliott Smith?

Cos it also sort of sounds like Ed Harcourt.
rabbit57i
Brits To Remake "Law & Order"
Omniscia
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Jan 4 2008, 11:21 AM)

At what seems to be a standard 6 episodes per season, it will take them 65.5 years to match the output of the original.
rabbit57i
You can cut that in half. Those type of series tend to run 12-13 episodes per.
Omniscia
Okay, so, just 32.75 years, then.
Ingram
Golden Globes ceremony scrapped

QUOTE (IMDB.com - IMDB News Flash)
Amid Strike Fears, Golden Globes Reduce Coverage

In the wake of the ongoing Writers Guild of America strike, NBC and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association have proposed scaling back their coverage of Sunday's Golden Globe awards from a three-hour ceremony and dinner to a one-hour press conference announcing the winners. Fearful of WGA picketing, and a recent statement by the Screen Actors Guild that none of the 70+ acting nominees would attend the ceremony, the Globes made a mad scramble on Monday to come up with a contingency plan that would allow some kind of network television coverage (and thus save millions of dollars in advertisting revenue) without the fear of picketing or no-shows from high-profile celebrities. To insure that the show would go on in some way, NBC, Dick Clark Productions (which produces the Golden Globes show) and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association have decided to cancel the traditional dinner and ceremony, and instead broadcast a press conference via NBC News (which is not affected by the WGA strike) to announce the winners, and bracket this one-hour special with a number of different news programs centering on the Globes.

At press time, while the WGA had agreed to withhold its picketing from the press conference, it had not given an official go-ahead for the additional coverage. Negotiations were said to be ongoing regarding the use of clips and the Globes party coverage.

According to the Los Angeles Times, NBC issued a statement late Monday afternoon that said Sunday evening would tentatively contain the following broadcasts (all times are Eastern):

7pm: A Dateline NBC special with interviews and clips of the nominees (initially scheduled for Saturday)

8pm: Tentatively, a retrospective/clip show to be produced by Dick Clark Enterprises

9pm: A NBC News press conference announcing the Golden Globe winners

10pm: An Access Hollywood-style Golden Globes party show

The new broadcast plan will allow for a certain amount of red carpet coverage and party coverage in addition to the press conference. Nominees and party attendees would be expected to go down a traditional red carpet, but they would then split off to various parties. Once the awards were announced, the winners would have an opportunity to give a statement or reaction from either a party site or the press room. So far, no potential attendees have confirmed or denied they would attend any of the festivities.

QUOTE (IMDB.com)
Hollywood Stars To Boycott Golden Globes

Hollywood stars like Julia Roberts, Keira Knightley and Johnny Depp look set to boycott this Sunday's Golden Globes ceremony to show their support to striking writers. Actors represented by the Screen Actors' Guild (SAG) are in "unanimous agreement" not to ignore the plight of the Writers Guild of America union members, who are picketing over royalties. Announcing the union's decision on Friday, SAG president, Alan Rosenberg, said, "After considerable outreach to Golden Globe actor nominees and their representatives over the past several weeks, there appears to be unanimous agreement that these actors will not cross WGA (Writers' Guild of America) picket lines." In response to the boycott action, the WGA members thanked the SAG for its "solidarity and support." Other stars nominated for gongs at the prestigious ceremony include George Clooney, John Travolta, Denzel Washington, Cate Blanchett and Jodie Foster - all of whom are unlikely to appear at the awards show if the WGA members do not reach an agreement with the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which organizes the Golden Globes, in time for next Sunday. Knightley, who is up for Best Actress for her starring role in Atonement, is particularly supportive of the strike, because of her playwright mother, Sharman Macdonald. A representative for the British beauty confirms: "If the strike is still in place then Keira won't cross a picket line as her mother is a writer."

This really needs to get resolved sooner rather than later.
Omniscia
You mean there won't be a Golden Globes ceremony for me to ignore this year? ohmy.gif
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jan 8 2008, 08:52 AM)
You mean there won't be a Golden Globes ceremony for me to ignore this year? ohmy.gif

Exactly.

millions of viewers worldwide will be deprived of seeing many of their favourite stars celebrating 2007's outstanding achievements in motion pictures and television

Yeah, whatever.
rabbit57i
THE Television

The 150-inch (3.75m) Panasonic widescreen TV, which stands 6ft tall, will enable viewers to watch everything in life-size.
logger
Bond gets new sidekick

And she looks a very talented actress.
curtinparloe
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Jan 8 2008, 06:24 PM)
THE Television

The 150-inch (3.75m) Panasonic widescreen TV, which stands 6ft tall, will enable viewers to watch everything in life-size.

Life size? So you can see life-size planets and microbes on this screen? A rather rash claim for the Independent to make, I feel.
rabbit57i
Two Pints Live Episode

The interesting part of the article is this:
The Two Pints episode’s plot includes an in-joke that the series is past its prime; with Ralf Little’s character winning a competition to go shark-jumping in Hawaii.

Oh, they are so clever. wacko.gif
curtinparloe
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ki11_replay_creation
GundamGuy_UK
I hope I'm not the only one here who's familiar with the works of Jan Svankmajer. I don't think I've ever mentioned him before, but I grew up on stuff like this:

Dimensions of Dialogue

Darkness Light Darkness

And the film Alice.

I just found out that all his short films are available on DVD in one set, which pleases me no end and I'm going to buy them for sure.

I've shown Alice to people and they've been terrified of it. Not just "Oh, that's creepy", but genuinely had nightmares over its disturbing imagery of things like living pieces of meat with rusty nails flying out of them, or half-horse half-bird skeletons fighting dolls in a house of toy bricks. I first saw that when I was 3 though, same as with most of the stuff of his I've seen, so I'm just fascinated by them.

When other kids think of the shows they watch as a kid and think of bright colours and Fireman Sam, I think of 2 clay people having sex by ripping each-other apart, and disembodied heads dueling by producing shoes from their mouths.

That first video I haven't seen since I was 10 or so, so it's really brought back memories. That DVD set I have to buy, it's my childhood in a box.

It's amazing I'm as "normal" as I am, really.
dandan
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jan 11 2008, 05:32 AM)
I hope I'm not the only one here who's familiar with the works of Jan Svankmajer.

yeah, i held off buying the american set (which isn't as comprehensive) when i heard about this release. still, i never got round to picking it up and need to wait until hmv.co.uk send me some more of their nice money off vouchers, before i can consider splashing out £27...
dandan
new hair for winehouse...

sleeping_pirate
Skank.

Nuff said.
Starscream`s Ghost
She's looking dangerously ill now.
Raven
Nice "Char Lady" look she's got going there . . .
maian
Apparently there's talk of the Oscar ceremony being animated this year since animation writers (except for those working on The Simpsons, Family Guy and King of the Hill are not covered by the WGA and would be able to circumnavigate the strike this way. The best suggestion so far has been the Guardian's idea of having puppets replace celebrities a la Team America: World Police. I don't think I'd want the strike to be resolved in time if that were the case.

Story here
Sostie
Coming in April. Hmmmm, I wonder who would want this 7" of fun?

Dread Pirate Roberts the action figure!
maian
That's awesome in every conceivable way.
curtinparloe
And free reign for the sculptor, given the nature of Roberts.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (maian @ Jan 11 2008, 09:11 AM)
I don't think I'd want the strike to be resolved in time if that were the case.

Story here

I just read this about 15 minutes ago. I like that idea, but I'd prefer it be animated by the Futurama team and entirely presented by former deceased Oscar winners' heads in jars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.