Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Media Odds and Sods
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
logger
This is what David Cameron needs to do to kick start the big society.
Zoe
Nominees for new US Comedy Awards

Who should win in bold

Comedy Film:

Cyrus
Easy A
Get Him to the Greek
Kick-Ass
The Other Guys

Comedy Actor:

Russell Brand, Get Him to the Greek
Will Ferrell, The Other Guys
Zach Galifianakis, Dinner for Schmucks
Paul Giamatti, Barney's Version
Jonah Hill, Cyrus

Comedy Actress:

Tina Fey, Date Night
Anne Hathaway, Love & Other Drugs
Helen Mirren, Red
Chloë Moretz, Kick-Ass
Emma Stone, Easy A

Voted for Emma, even though I haven't seen the film, but this is a pretty shoddy category, with only one actual comedian in it.

Animated Comedy Film:

Despicable Me
Megamind
Shrek Forever After
Toy Story 3

Comedy film director:

Jay Duplass and Mark Duplass, Cyrus
Will Gluck, Easy A
Adam McKay, The Other Guys
Matthew Vaughn, Kick-Ass
Edgar Wright, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

COMEDY SERIES

30 Rock
Eastbound & Down
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Modern Family
The Office

COMEDY ACTOR – TV

Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Steve Carell, The Office
Tracy Morgan, 30 Rock
Danny McBride, Eastbound & Down

COMEDY ACTRESS – TV

Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Jane Krakowski, 30 Rock
Jane Lynch, Glee
Betty White, Hot in Cleveland
Kristen Wiig, Saturday Night Live

LATE NIGHT COMEDY SERIES
The Colbert Report
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Jimmy Kimmel Live!
Late Night with Jimmy Fallon
Late Show with David Letterman

No idea

SKETCH COMEDY/ALTERNATIVE COMEDY SERIES
Children’s Hospital
Funny or Die Presents
Saturday Night Live
Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!
Tosh.0

Ditto

STAND-UP SPECIAL
Aziz Ansari: Intimate Moments for a Sensual Evening
Bill Maher…But I'm Not Wrong
Louis C.K.: Hilarious
Ricky Gervais: Out of England 2
Whitney Cummings: Money Shot

etc.

ANIMATED COMEDY SERIES
American Dad!
Archer
Family Guy
The Simpsons
South Park

COMEDY WRITING – TV
30 Rock
Louie
Modern Family
The Office
The Simpsons

COMEDY SCREENPLAY
Cyrus
Easy A
Hot Tub Time Machine
Kick-Ass
Tiny Furniture

Of the films I've seen in this category, none deserve this

COMEDY DIRECTING – TV
30 Rock
Community
Modern Family
The Office
Saturday Night Live

Read more: http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2011/02/16/1...s#ixzz1ED9Bu2Ww

Eastbound and Down & The Other Guys are both hilarious, probably the things I laughed most at this year.
maian
I'd like Easy A to win Best Comedy since, of all of those, it's probably the one the one that I enjoyed the most and because it surprised me by how smart it was. I had some problems with it but, of those nominees, it's the one that I felt had the least problems.

I've only heard Aziz Ansari's stand-up special and it is pretty hilarious. I imagine that Louis C.K.'s will probably win, though, since it's the first special he's made since his divorce and, considering how honest and funny he was about his marriage I imagine that he probably got a lot of great material from its dissolution.

Speaking of which, Louie should win Best Comedy Writing. A really great, innovative TV show that gave an interesting insight into the life and fears of its creator that was also full of great jokes.
Zoe
I hated Aziz Ansari because of his terrible presenting of the MTV Movie Awards, but I like him a lot more after hearing him on WTF.

This is true of most people.

QUOTE (maian @ Feb 17 2011, 11:51 AM) *
I'd like Easy A to win Best Comedy since, of all of those, it's probably the one the one that I enjoyed the most and because it surprised me by how smart it was. I had some problems with it but, of those nominees, it's the one that I felt had the least problems.

Have you seen The Other Guys? I thought it was fucking hilarious.
maian
He strikes me as the U.S. equivalent to Russell Brand, in that he can be great in certain situations but horribly annoying in others (in my opinion). A lot of what's funny on Intimate Moments For A Sensual Evening is the result of his sheer exuberance in delivering them, but there isn't a huge difference between that and being Raaaaaaandy-style overbearing.

I like him on Parks & Recreation a lot because he's forced to be a bit more restrained, or the show makes his efforts to seem overly hip and excitable seem pretty pathetic.

Edit: I did see The Other Guys but I enjoyed Easy A more. I also thought that it had the same problem that all the Ferrell/McKay comedies do, which is that the heavy amount of improvisation means that some bits can be screamingly funny but others fall flat. At least they did for me, anyway.
Zoe
The hit ratio was really high I thought, much higher than Step Brothers or Talledega Nights (both of which I am going to rewatch after hearing Adam McKay on WTF as I'm now thinking not getting them was my fault). Nearly as high as Anchorman. Juice coming out of your nose funny. It's so rare that I'm howling with laughter on my own at a comedy film these days. So much so, my flatmate came and joined me, and then joined in.

Films just aren't very funny anymore.
maian
I certainly didn't think it was unfunny and I did laugh a lot, just not that much.

And Talledaga Nights is rubbish, whatever Adam McKay might say.
Zoe
QUOTE (maian @ Feb 17 2011, 12:08 PM) *
I certainly didn't think it was unfunny and I did laugh a lot, just not that much.

And Talledaga Nights is rubbish, whatever Adam McKay might say.

He was talking about how satirical is was, and I was thinking "maybe it was all my fault, maybe I don't know what's funny".

I am easily influenced.
Serafina_Pekkala
I didn't get Talledaga Nights because I don't know much about NASCAR.
Sostie
I found The Other Guys not quite as funny as I was expecting, but generally if it's got Ferrell in it, I'm gonna laugh. It's not quite as good as Anchorman, or, my second fave Ferrell film, Land Of The Lost.

I think Wahlberg deserves a nom for The Other Guys.
Zoe
I love it when he can't stop saying goodbye to Eva Mendes.
Serafina_Pekkala
Wahlberg is hugely underated as a comic performer and dramatic actor. Bale schmale gets all the kudos cos he pulls faces and starves himself.
Sostie
The scenes with Mendes, Ferrell and Wahlberg are by far the best in the film.
logger
The Other Guys just beats Easy A for me. I liked Talladega Nights, though.

And no love for Community yet again. It really could end up going the way of Arrested Development. At least it's not on Fox.
Zoe
QUOTE (logger @ Feb 17 2011, 12:39 PM) *
The Other Guys just beats Easy A for me. I liked Talladega Nights, though.

And no love for Community yet again. It really could end up going the way of Arrested Development. At least it's not on Fox.

Its up for 'Comedy Directing'
maian
I think it might be able to see its way to its natural end (four seasons, judging by the number of years that Geoff needs to be at Greendale to get his degree) purely by dint of the fact that NBC are so starved for a hit comedy that they can't afford to get rid of a show like Community which, whilst not a smash, gets consistent viewers every week. Perfect Couples and Outsourced would be more likely to get the ax than Community at this point.
logger
QUOTE (Zoe @ Feb 17 2011, 11:50 AM) *
Its up for 'Comedy Directing'

Ooops, didn't see that.
PrincessKate
I find this very hard to believe:
Close 'close to signing for SuBo Biopic'
Serafina_Pekkala
This the stupidest story I've ever heard.
GundamGuy_UK
What. The. Fuck.

I know I don't follow that kind of "news", but what exactly is the Susan Boyle story?
Is it really just "Oldish woman who doesn't look like a conventional singer surprises all by being good at singing"? Because I'm pretty sure they covered that enough when the show itself aired.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 20 2011, 06:01 PM) *
What. The. Fuck.

I know I don't follow that kind of "news", but what exactly is the Susan Boyle story?
Is it really just "Oldish woman who doesn't look like a conventional singer surprises all by being good at singing"? Because I'm pretty sure they covered that enough when the show itself aired.

If the yanks do it, they'll invent a whole sub plot where she wants to quit, but is talked out of it by some kind of mystical best friend who is black.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Feb 19 2011, 03:20 PM) *
I find this very hard to believe:
Close 'close to signing for SuBo Biopic'

The fact that a Justin Bieber biopic exists has somewhat blunted my reaction to the above story.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Feb 20 2011, 07:09 PM) *
If the yanks do it, they'll invent a whole sub plot where she wants to quit, but is talked out of it by some kind of mystical best friend who is black.

They could tie two films into one and have said black friend be the Man with the Golden Radio Voice.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 20 2011, 08:05 PM) *
They could tie two films into one and have said black friend be the Man with the Golden Radio Voice.

I would honestly pay to see that film.
Nonus Aequilibrium
Goddamn the bloody Daily Mail. A friend of mine stayed up all night to video a block of flats being demolished, and the Daily Mail come along and steal her video for their own news article, without permission or even giving any credit for it. Then I read that one of their sports articles has been cut and pasted from some Arsenal fan's blog, word for word. That newspaper is just absolute scum.
Everlong
Most of their stuff is listed from other websites particularly entertainment pieces too, comedy websites like Chortle and British Comedy Guide have had their stuff nicked word-for-word before.

Stuff from 'Arseblog' (lol) has been stolen a few times. An interview THEY conducted with Denilson was stolen by the Daily Mail.

It seems the only stuff written by them is stuff written slagging off celebs, and making stuff up about immigrants. Plus their people on big wages whinging because they can't buy their daugher an iPad. JOURNALISTIC QUALITY RIGHT THERE.
Raven
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Feb 21 2011, 10:17 PM) *
Goddamn the bloody Daily Mail. A friend of mine stayed up all night to video a block of flats being demolished, and the Daily Mail come along and steal her video for their own news article, without permission or even giving any credit for it. Then I read that one of their sports articles has been cut and pasted from some Arsenal fan's blog, word for word. That newspaper is just absolute scum.

She should lodge a complaint with the PCC.
sweetbutinsane
^ This. I wouldn't let those scumbags get away with something like that.
Nonus Aequilibrium
Well, the video was on youtube, and the terms and conditions of youtube mean it can be used. So they're within the law, it's just the fact that it's unethical to use someone else's content on a newspaper without permission or credit that gets up my nose. As for the Arsenal article thing though, that's just outright plagiarism and I hope that guy sues them.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Feb 22 2011, 08:32 PM) *
^ This. I wouldn't let those scumbags get away with something like that.

It's plagiarism and could get themselves into trouble. Possibly they paid the author for rights.
Nonus Aequilibrium
I saw a conversation between the blog author and one of the daily mail journalists on twitter, something like:

"Hi, why is your newspaper stealing my blog articles on your website?"
"Nothing to do with me"
"Ok, well, who at the newspaper can I make a complaint to?"
<silence>
Ade
Be a zombie extra in 'Cockneys Vs Zombies'

Shooting in London during March/April.
logger
Cool, a zombie film, just what everyone needed.
Ade
Fair enough.

Here's a five second sweep of every US #1 pop single from 1956 to 1992 instead.

I don't know that anyone needs it, but if you've got 74 minutes to spare, it's there.

As a timelapse of changing musical styles it's certainly interesting.
Silky
The more I hear about the planned Dark Tower movie. I less I want them to make it. sad.gif
Zoe
Comedians recreate childhood photos in today's Guardian

Including the wonderful Jessica

logger
QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 5 2011, 10:57 AM) *
Including the wonderful Jessica

Swit swoo.
monkeyman
"Super" trailer
Looks like awesome fun
monkeyman
Aaawww yeah

Kind of hope that's not the final boxart though. I do love the extended edition boxart I have at the moment.
Atara
Never has the blue of the blu-ray banner looked so out of place.

I don;t care what the box art looks like, I want it, I want it now! Shame all the special features will be the same ones I already have and will be in standard def. I have hear rumours of new features. Out takes/gag reel would be a nice addition.
Everlong
I reckon we'll see it Spring/Summer 2012, few months before the first Hobbit film is out.
Rebus
The film looks alright, but I'm much more interested in the soundtrack to Hanna. The Chems have released a track from the soundtrack HERE. I'm finding it blahddy good.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (logger @ Mar 14 2011, 03:34 PM) *

I love this film but it is already 3 days long. What else could be added?

I like to call the young Noodles and Max flashbacks as the "PJ & Duncan days".
widowspider
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Mar 15 2011, 02:39 PM) *

Brills.
Raven
Excellent!
melzilla
I like that lots.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.