Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Media Odds and Sods
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
logger
It does mean he's as big a art of the problem as anybody.
maian
I enjoyed Robbie Collin's little dig at Spielberg. I didn't realise he was behind Memoirs of a Geisha.

Also, I do agree with him when it comes to blockbuster cinema, since there haven't been a huge number of genuinely great blockbusters in that time, but to say that there have been hardly any great films suggests that he is either hopelessly nostalgic or hasn't been paying attention. My bet would be that the article has been spun in the most attention-grabbing manner because that gets a lot more hits.
Silky
For SweetButInsane
And indeed any fans of Jack Harkness.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Silky @ Nov 30 2011, 04:28 PM) *
For SweetButInsane

Ha, tumblr has been going crazy about that story. I love it! happy.gif
GundamGuy_UK
Awesome.

I have a proper Jack Harkness coat. It's getting to be the time of year where I can wear it now, too! =]
Ade
QUOTE (Silky @ Nov 30 2011, 04:28 PM) *
For SweetButInsane

Regarding the banner advert at the top of that page (at the time of visiting): Ninjawaz ...sounds like an alternative word for 'Stealth Wank'
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Nov 30 2011, 07:23 PM) *
I have a proper Jack Harkness coat. It's getting to be the time of year where I can wear it now, too! =]

Jealous! I've seen photos of people on tumblr wearing them and it makes me wish a) I had enough spare money to buy one, and b) I was male.

On a related note, I saw a guy with a Jack Harkness-esque coat in the big computer cluster in our student union building. It's called 'The Hub'. No word of a lie. It has a little Starbucks kiosk too. I had to text my friend in Glasgow with all this information because there was no-one with me to have a fangirl moment with.

QUOTE (Ade @ Nov 30 2011, 07:47 PM) *
Regarding the banner advert at the top of that page (at the time of visiting): Ninjawaz ...sounds like an alternative word for 'Stealth Wank'

laugh.gif I can tell this is one of those things that'll pop into my head on the metro in the morning and earn me some funny looks when I start giggling to myself.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Dec 5 2011, 08:08 PM) *
Jealous! I've seen photos of people on tumblr wearing them and it makes me wish a) I had enough spare money to buy one, and b) I was male.

I got mine from here (they only have Bulgarian ones in at present) I thought £40 was quite reasonable for a big coat. Alas mine did not accommodate my tiny t-rex arms, so I gave it away.
sweetbutinsane
Aww, I've bookmarked that page now. I hope you're happy! laugh.gif I have long gorilla arms, so I love things with huge sleeves.
Raven
'Smallville' to continue in novel form?

Christ, someone must have some kryptonite knocking around that can finish this once and for all!
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 6 2011, 09:47 PM) *
'Smallville' to continue in novel form?

Christ, someone must have some kryptonite knocking around that can finish this once and for all!

Ha, it's unstoppable. I keep thinking it's finished and then there's another series being advertised on the telly.
Raven
Well, at least the TV series is finished (although there are rumours floating around of a movie, which I think is wishful thinking given The Man of Steel is out next year).
Ade
Wasn't sure whether to put this in the adverts thread instead, but since it's a 'making of' I figured maybe not:

A brief overview of the making of Pixma Printers' 'Bring Colour To Life' advert campaign.

A simple enough TV ad, but it clearly involved some extremely precise techno-wizardry to achieve the end result. Some stunning slo-mo imagery of 'sonic paint sculptures', ending with the ad itself. There are also a handful of nice still photos on the page (in fact, I may have found my next avatar replacement already).
Rebus
Ever wanted to write for the Guardian whilst attending your favourite music festival? Here's your chance.
Raven
I see Big Brother is lowering the bar - yet again - for the definition of "celebrity".

How the hell can someone whose only claim to fame is that they had an affair with their brother-in-law for seven years be deemed to be a celebrity?
logger
Just looking through who the celebs are, most I've never heard of, and then I see Michael Madsen. ohmy.gif
Raven
Yes, I think he and Natalie Cassidy are the only two I have heard of.
GundamGuy_UK
It's just never going to be made. They'll keep doing this though, just to keep hold of the rights.
Raven
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jan 7 2012, 01:09 AM) *
It's just never going to be made.

Well, I for one, don't have a problem with that.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 7 2012, 01:58 AM) *
Well, I for one, don't have a problem with that.

I share your opinion, as I'm sure do everyone bar a couple of media executives.

If anything's to be done with Akira, then they should make an anime mini-series that follows the manga. No need to remake the movie.
logger
Kim Novak raped by The Artist
widowspider
QUOTE (Silky @ Jan 7 2012, 01:33 AM) *

Probably for the best, but I DID really want to be in it. Bums.
Raven
Neil Patrick Harris: 'I want to take part in Celebrity Big Brother'

Now that could actually get me watching!
logger
The 10 Cheesiest Movie Moments of 2011
gulfcoast_highwayman
Goddess of Geekdom, Felicia Day, is launching a new youtube channel

Brief video. Subscribe now!
gulfcoast_highwayman
Ricky is starting to get the press he deserves.
logger
At least George Clooney won for his role as a time traveling dean.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Jan 16 2012, 09:03 AM) *

I'm amazed he could even walk to the stage, he's so far up his own arse.
sweetbutinsane
Huzzah, glad I'm not the only one that finds that man to be massively annoying and completely unfunny.
Rebus
Didn't watch the Golden Globes as I assumed it would be as painful and plainly bollocks as ever, but very pleased Idris Elba and Peter Dinklage won. I'm not a fan of Meryl Streep at the best of times, but she is at her worst as an actress when she's pretending to be surprised she won an award, and ... Matt LeBlanc won a Golden Globe for playing Matt LeBlanc? *mindblown* Never heard of Episodes until last night and, now I've looked into it, I'm wondering if I should check it out.
maian
It's okay. Not particularly good or insightful - it feels very much like the second season of Extras warmed over - but fun enough. LeBlanc is very good in it, mind.
logger
Movie Posters From an Alternate Universe
bigfatrich
They are fantastic!
gulfcoast_highwayman
There's some serious talent gone into them.

I'd love to see their version of Rushmore.
Raven
The National Television Awards really should be renamed the Popular TV Awards.

Good though he is, I think there are a number of actors who turned in better performances in TV drama series last year than Matt Smith did in Doctor Who, and I'm damn sure Karen Gillan isn't the best actress.
Everlong
QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 26 2012, 09:43 AM) *
The National Television Awards really should be renamed the Popular TV Awards.

Good though he is, I think there are a number of actors who turned in better performances in TV drama series last year than Matt Smith did in Doctor Who, and I'm damn sure Karen Gillan isn't the best actress.

I dunno about it just being a popularity thing, Who won nothing last year. Some strange nominees though.

Still, good to finally see Smith win something, this is his first award for Doctor Who I think.
Raven
When I said Popular TV I meant that the nominated programs are all very much primetime mainstream programs. There has been some good drama on TV over the last year, mostly in the form of one-off dramas, and none of it featured here.

I don't think there is anything in the NTA list that would be considered for a BAFTA drama award except Downton – hell, they’ve got nominations for Torchwood. Freakin’ Torchwood ffs!!

The NTAs are the anti-BAFTAs!
Everlong
Yeah, I was surprised there weren't any Downton actors nominated. Torchwood nominations were weird. Well, John Barrowman was a shocking nomination, I can see why they nominated Eve Myles as she practically carried Miracle Day.

NTAs aren't particularly amazing. Because it's not the drama/comedy nominations that got me, I was alright with them, its the fact that Gary Fucking Barlow got a lifetime achievement. For television. He has been an X-Factor judge for a bloody year!

Next year's should be much better. Black Mirror, Holy Flying Circus, both TIE '88 and TIE '90 (if it's on before winter), and more stuff will eligible. Though I imagine we'll see them in this summer's TV BAFTAs. Proper awards.
gulfcoast_highwayman
I was amazed at how bald Ant is getting. He must be close to just shaving it all off.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Everlong @ Jan 26 2012, 08:32 PM) *
I can see why they nominated Eve Myles as she practically carried Miracle Day.

She didn't win? Boo! She was brilliant in Miracle Day.
Raven
QUOTE (Everlong @ Jan 26 2012, 08:32 PM) *
Next year's should be much better. Black Mirror, Holy Flying Circus, both TIE '88 and TIE '90 (if it's on before winter), and more stuff will eligible.

I'll wager very few of that will be up for nods in twelve months, it will be wall-to-wall Sherlock* again and the other usual suspects.

*Not that Sherlock doesn't deserve gongs, though.
Julie
QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 27 2012, 08:50 AM) *

That is just too awesome.
Raven
It is good, but Old Ferris seems very wrong.

(Probably because it makes me feel old).
widowspider
AWESOME!!!
gulfcoast_highwayman
Good to see Ferris alive and well.

I suppose this means Stevie Wonder is still blind.
Silky
This may just be the best thing I have ever seen.
Raven
Matthew Broderick's 'Ferris Bueller' Super Bowl trailer

Very good.
Silky
QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 30 2012, 08:06 PM) *

Yep but now I'm kinda disappointed there's not a second film.
I also really want to watch Ferris Bueller now. Guess I know what I'm doing if I'm still not well tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.