Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Media Odds and Sods
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 22 2008, 09:14 AM)
New Look BBC Three

I'll miss those little animated characters!
aww, me too. I scared the crap out of my boss with their screaming screensaver.

Get Carter Iconic Carpark To Be Demolished
Raven
Miss Marple actress to leave show.

ITV usually do quite a good job with crime dramas, but I can't say I'm sad about this, as I thought Hickson was much better - even if the BBC version of Marple has dated now.
Raven
Two shows to looks out for ths autumn, Sharpe's Peril and Little Dorrit.
Rua
QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 22 2008, 02:14 PM)
New Look BBC Three

I'll miss those little animated characters!

It seems Comedy is pretty low on most channels agendas these days.
Jubei
QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 25 2008, 01:34 PM)
Two shows to looks out for ths autumn, Sharpe's Peril and Little Dorrit.

Ooh, apparently they made one in 2006 as well. I didn't know they were still making Sharpe. I always thought it was the best period drama on TV, cause it had guns and soldiers and stabbing with bayonets and stuff. The fact they had a proper decent actor to play the main role helped too, although later roles, like in Goldeneye and Ronin, give him a slightly pathetic, grovelling edge which he never had when I was a kid.
Raven
Sharpe's Challenge, it's been a while since I saw it, but it was quite good.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 25 2008, 02:44 PM)

All Sharpe dramas are good. It's a good bit of buckle-swashing.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 25 2008, 02:44 PM)

I thought that they'd finished with the battle of Waterloo as that was the end of his story really. Are they still based on Bernard Cornwell's books?

They were selling a complete boxset in Virgin a few months ago for quite cheap but I resisted it's charms.
curtinparloe
QUOTE (Jubei @ Jan 25 2008, 02:41 PM)
although later roles, like in Goldeneye and Ronin, give him a slightly pathetic, grovelling edge which he never had when I was a kid.

That's why we decided not to go with him as the lead in our film.
Raven
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jan 25 2008, 02:48 PM)
I thought that they'd finished with the battle of Waterloo as that was the end of his story really.  Are they still based on Bernard Cornwell's books?

They were selling a complete boxset in Virgin a few months ago for quite cheap but I resisted it's charms.

They did finish the regular series at Waterloo, but then Cornwell wrote some more novels set around Sharpe's earlier exploits in India. If I remember rightly, they adapted the plot of one of those to make Sharpe's Challenge to set it after Waterloo.

I don't know what this story is based on.

You could get the box set of the original series in WHSmiths for 30.00 just after Christmas, and I was tempted as well!
Svein
QUOTE (Jubei @ Jan 25 2008, 03:41 PM)
Ooh, apparently they made one in 2006 as well.  I didn't know they were still making Sharpe.  I always thought it was the best period drama on TV, cause it had guns and soldiers and stabbing with bayonets and stuff.  The fact they had a proper decent actor to play the main role helped too, although later roles, like in Goldeneye and Ronin, give him a slightly pathetic, grovelling edge which he never had when I was a kid.

Come on... he got Lord of the Rings... he was fantastic in that... Especially in the special edition Two Towers...
Omniscia
My dad remembers him best as Sean Miller, the guy who's out to kill Harrison Ford in Patriot Games, which, if IMDb is to be believed, predates Sharpe by a year.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jan 25 2008, 04:03 PM)
Patriot Games

Stupid, stupid movie.
Omniscia
I didn't think it was so bad, so long as you don't take it any more seriously than the average action flick.
Jubei
QUOTE (Svein @ Jan 25 2008, 03:53 PM)
Come on...  he got Lord of the Rings...  he was fantastic in that...  Especially in the special edition Two Towers...

Yep, another traitor/backstabber role. I forgot that one.
Omniscia
QUOTE (Jubei @ Jan 25 2008, 12:15 PM)
Yep, another traitor/backstabber role.  I forgot that one.

Ooh, wasn't he a traitor to Father and the ideals of the State in Equilibrium?
Jubei
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Jan 25 2008, 04:16 PM)
Ooh, wasn't he a traitor to Father and the ideals of the State in Equilibrium?

He was too, you're right. But at least he was a good traitor in that one. All these roles where he's a bit weak and whingey completely fly in the face of Sharpe, who is hard as nails, as loyal as they come despite being screwed over repeatedly, and a un-wavering in his prosecution of a mission.
Sostie
Ebert & Roeper film reviews available online. Has a pretty extensive archive too
rabbit57i
BBC Looking Into Enlarging Credits After Complaints
maian
Online Alan Moore documentary

Interesting stuff.
logger
Pretty cool.
Raven
Grange Hill to close.

ETA:

QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Feb 4 2008, 07:58 PM)

Crumbs, that's an old article - Star Trek.com stopped being updated before Christmas, when NBC sacked the staff who were writing the site.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 6 2008, 03:39 PM)

About time really. It's been poor since they stopped finding stray donkeys and secretly looking after them behind the caretaker's back.

This woman scares me slightly...

This is scandalous! I've watched Grange Hill for 28 of those 30 years and don't know how I'm going to cope without it. I've learned the lessons of life with those kids and passed on the message to my own kids. Please CHANGE YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!
Susie Cuthbert, Birmingham, England

I bet she even tells them off while wearing an ill fitting toupee.
gulfcoast_highwayman
As someone who remembers watching Grange Hill from the very start (hell, I even remember a preview on Blue Peter prior to episode one) this is a shame.

Can any of you whippersnappers confirm if the quality has kept up over the years? I stopped watching around the time that Imelda got expelled.

When Mauler and his mates started running around the school dressed in American Football kit, it had gone for me.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Feb 6 2008, 04:01 PM)
Can any of you whippersnappers confirm if the quality has kept up over the years? I stopped watching around the time that Imelda got expelled.

It's been shit. Over populated by over acting drama school kids and not enough talent picked up from local schools, like they used to, who would give good naturalistic performances.

Plus, they moved the school to Liverpool - which made no sense.
Raven
I always found Grange Hill uncomfortable to watch, and it's probably directly responsible for my dislike of soaps because you were always waiting for something nasty to happen to someone, or people to start shouting at each other.

Granted, in its heyday it was a jump forward for kids TV, but I preferred Danger Mouse and He-Man.
Outatime
I gave up when it moved to Liverpool, Phil Redmond said it was never supposed to be set in London.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Outatime @ Feb 6 2008, 04:18 PM)
I gave up when it moved to Liverpool, Phil Redmond said it was never supposed to be set in London.

*In Phil Redmond's office, 25 years after the first episode of Grange Hill aired*

"Hang on. That's London. It's meant to be in Liverpool. Oh my gaaaaaaaawd..."
Outatime
He reckoned it should have been generic. They perhaps should have been a little more selective about casting a bunch of Londoners in it.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Feb 6 2008, 04:23 PM)
*In Phil Redmond's office, 25 years after the first episode of Grange Hill aired*

"Hang on. That's London. It's meant to be in Liverpool. Oh my gaaaaaaaawd..."

You could make a good living as a message board impressionist.

Do Ricky Gervais next.....
logger
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Feb 6 2008, 03:51 PM)
This woman scares me slightly...
This is scandalous! I've watched Grange Hill for 28 of those 30 years and don't know how I'm going to cope without it. I've learned the lessons of life with those kids and passed on the message to my own kids. Please CHANGE YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!
Susie Cuthbert, Birmingham, England

I bet she even tells them off while wearing an ill fitting toupee.

So that's why I found one of her kids dead in my car.

I didn't know it moved to Liverpool, that's just dumb.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Feb 6 2008, 04:25 PM)
Do Ricky Gervais next.....

*Ricky on stage at yet another big benefit concert in front of 1000s*

"No, I'm *cackle* not doing the dance. I'm not doing it. *sighs* No really, I'm not...doing...the dance. *cackle*. No! Stop asking. I'm not doing it. *sighs*"

*Does the dance...again*

*Dies on his arse...again*
gulfcoast_highwayman
Bravo!

It's like he's posting on the board.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Feb 6 2008, 04:34 PM)
*Ricky on stage at yet another big benefit concert in front of 1000s*
"No, I'm *cackle* not doing the dance. I'm not doing it. *sighs* No really, I'm not...doing...the dance. *cackle*. No! Stop asking. I'm not doing it. *sighs*"
*Does the dance...again*
*Dies on his arse...again*

My boss has just asked why I nearly choked on coffee.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Feb 6 2008, 04:35 PM)
Bravo!

It's like he's posting on the board.
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Feb 6 2008, 04:39 PM)
My boss has just asked why I nearly choked on coffee.

*doths top hat and walks into the sunset*
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Feb 6 2008, 04:49 PM)
*doths top hat and walks into the sunset*

And that's where the impersonation ends.

Ricky would have got at least another ten years out of that routine.
Wife Of Rolex
Only 11 months until a christmas special.
gulfcoast_highwayman
A Wife Of RoleXmas?

Who would be the special musical guest?
Omniscia
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Feb 6 2008, 12:57 PM)
A Wife Of RoleXmas?

Why would you need a separate musical guest? Ricky Gervais is multi-talented. tongue.gif
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Feb 6 2008, 04:57 PM)
A Wife Of RoleXmas?

Elaine Paige, naturally.
Zoe
Dissing Gervais and Blade: Trinity? I don't think I like this place anymore.
gulfcoast_highwayman
I could start on Russell Brand again, if you like, Zoe? wink.gif
Wife Of Rolex
Despite my mocking, I do actually like Gervais...to a point. He's brilliant sometimes but there are times when he's crushingly embarassing to watch and they usually come when he's not acting.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 6 2008, 03:39 PM)

QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 6 2008, 04:17 PM)
I always found Grange Hill uncomfortable to watch, and it's probably directly responsible for my dislike of soaps because you were always waiting for something nasty to happen to someone, or people to start shouting at each other.

Granted, in its heyday it was a jump forward for kids TV, but I preferred Danger Mouse and He-Man.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I remember about 10 years ago when there was a fire in the school and this girl fell to her death. Saw her lifeless body with her limbs at weird angles, and this is a kids show at 4:25 or whatever time it aired.

It's a shame, much like it was a shame when Byker Grove ended.

I was always more of an Aquila man myself. And The Odyssey (set inside a kids coma dream). Nobody I know seems to remember those, though. Especially not The Odyssey. It was Canadian I think.
maian
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 6 2008, 09:48 PM)
I was always more of an Aquila man myself. And The Odyssey (set inside a kids coma dream). Nobody I know seems to remember those, though. Especially not The Odyssey. It was Canadian I think.

I loved Aquila. Great little show. The Odyssey I could take or leave but I still quite liked it.

What was the name of that show set in Australia where a bunch of English schoolkids got lost? It was all to do with aliens and aboriginal spirits and was really spooky and cool. I liked that.

Just checked and found that it was called Jeopardy. It was all kinds of ace.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Feb 6 2008, 05:46 PM)
Despite my mocking, I do actually like Gervais...to a point. He's brilliant sometimes but there are times when he's crushingly embarassing to watch and they usually come when he's not acting.

Agreed. When Gervais is on form, he's brilliant. But he self-references more than Kevin Smith for gawd's sake.
Outatime
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 6 2008, 09:48 PM)
It's a shame, much like it was a shame when Byker Grove ended.

Byker Grove isn't on anymore either?
GundamGuy_UK
It ended a couple of years ago, now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.